Categories > TV > Buffy the Vampire Slayer > Ordinary Lives

59

by strange1 0 reviews

AU No hellmouth, slayer, witches. The gang are ordinary high school students. Some have grown up together. Others are new to Sunnydale. What kind of adventures will the gang have?

Category: Buffy the Vampire Slayer - Rating: PG - Genres: Drama - Characters: Angel, Anya, Buffy, Cordelia, Faith, Giles, Jenny Calendar, Joyce Summers, Oz, Spike, Tara, Wesley, Willow, Xander - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2005-07-30 - Updated: 2005-07-30 - 2872 words

0Unrated
Wesley looked at all the little shop had to offer him. He was not one really to dress up. His parents had forced he and Faith to attend fancy parties. It had turned both of them off to the thought of being in nice clothes. Especially for Faith who rebelled at just about every little possible thing to do with money and rules and properness.
But this was a special occasion that had been in the works for a few months now. It had taken every once of courage that he possessed, but he had asked the woman of his dreams to marry him and she had said yes. So he was now in the little tuxedo shop looking to rent a tuxedo for the very special occasion.
He knew that his sister was in jail for trying to help her friend Willow. In so many ways he was proud that his sister had the courage to stand up for what she believed in. But he also was worried that she would miss his wedding to Winifred Burkle. It was now only about two weeks away and his nervousness was starting to get the better of him.
All he had to do to calm down was to think of the beautiful sweet innocent woman that he was soon to be wed to. That made all the difference in the world. The fact that he was now finding the happiness that he had always dreamed of. He just hoped that the marriage would not turn out to be like his parents.
One reason that he had become a librarian was the fact that he had realized that just because one was rich, did not make them happy. There was way more to life then what money could buy you. The old saying that money doesn't bring happiness was so true in the case of his parents. But yet, being poor was not exactly easy either.
In a lot of ways he wished that he could afford to provide Fred with everything that she so desired. But he knew that was very unlikely to ever happen. He was merely studying to be a teacher. It was true that he could get a second job during the summer, but it still would mean that there would be little money.
It seemed that money could be the root of a lot of people's problems. Those that had too much would take life and things for granted. Those that had too little would struggle for everything they got, cherishing it. But at the same time, they would not have the time nor the energy to enjoy the good that they had.
Suddenly, his breathing was picking up. Was it because the heat had risen? Was it because he was in a smaller space and he was, at times, prone to attacks of claustrophobia? There was one more possibility. One that he really did not want to think about. That was the fact that he was starting to get nervous about getting married to his wonderful fiancé.
Wesley shook his head. That could not possibly be the reason. He was in love with his girl. There was no doubt in his mind on that one. He would always love her and want to be with her. But then why did he feel this way? Why was he starting to sweat a bit? It was so unlike himself in so many ways.
As quickly as he could, he got out of the little tuxedo shop. It would have to wait for another day for him to pick out his suit. But then, he only had so much time now didn't he. It was only three weeks to the day and he would not be single anymore. He would have someone else to help take care of.
What if it was a mistake? What if Fred wasn't the right one for him? What if? There were so many possibilities. He just had to go and talk to someone. But who in the world would know him that well to help him sort out his head? The one person that he hated to impose on at the moment. But he and his little sister had always been there for one another. This time would be no different as well.
***
Angel sat in the back of the oldest cemetery in Sunnydale. It was the place that the cops never seemed to go. That was a good thing in his case. There were beer cans strewn all over the place. There was even an empty bottle of whiskey that had long seen its end. He was in no mood to be toyed with at all.
Darla had decided that it was best if they had never gotten back together again. She blamed him, for not only the shootings, but also for the rape as well. It did not make any sense whatsoever that he was at fault for the rape. For the shootings, he would forever blame himself. He would have spent the rest of his life trying to make it up to her.
The one other person that he thought he could count on now had disappeared on him. He was, no doubt, trying to rescue his girl. From where and from whom were a good question. One that he knew that, if there was a way, Spike would surely find it. But that left him with no one. There was no one that he could count on.
He and Cordelia had made amends. But he knew that she was going through things of her own. There were rumors that the former ice queen had been getting abused by the sweet acting Doyle. It kind of surprised him. It surprised him, not because it was Doyle, but because he had thought that his ex would be strong enough to face down any kind of adversity.
But everyone had their breaking point. Even the ones that were supposed to be the tough ones. He wondered where his breaking point was. All his life, he had been put down by his parents. And then, his own father had tried to kill him. Now, he was on his own and just barely eighteen. He would graduate in just a couple months and then what?
He gulped down the last of the beer that he had been nursing. He threw it with all his might against one of the old headstones. "Hey, watch it!" The female voice made him jump to his feet. "I know it's mostly the dead out here, but you could at least try and watch out for those of us that are still living."
Angel swallowed hard as he saw the familiar face from a few nights ago at The Bronze. She had instantly taken his breath away. But he had never gotten a chance to talk to her, or more importantly, to get her name. "Sorry. Really didn't think any one would be out here. It's really deserted normally."
"And you thought you'd come here and drown your sorrows." The blond figured made her way toward him. "Are you even supposed to be drinking? I believe that you are only eighteen. I've seen you round the high school."
"That'd be because I go there." He stuck out his hand. She tentatively took it and shook it. "Name's Angel. I'm a senior. Normally I don't drink like this, but I just seem to be having a hard time of it lately. And I know, alcohol is so not the answer. Just weak I guess."
The blond shrugged her shoulders. "Sometimes there are things that bring us to a point that we never knew we could go to." She looked at her watch. "I hate to do this, but I have to get going. My rents expected me home half an hour ago." She turned to go, but stopped. "The name's Kate. I go to the prep school just outside of town. Perhaps you and I could get together sometime and help each other drown out our sorrows."
"I'd like that." Angel smiled big as did Kate. Without another word, she disappeared into the bright afternoon sunlight. Things were changing for the young man. He now wondered if there was actually hope for happiness for him. There was now hope. And as he began to walk back to his apartment, there was a bit of a jump in his step. One that he had not had in a very long time.
****
Detective Maggie Walsh sat in her office in her home. She really should be at the courthouse seeing how the case was going. But something that defense attorney had asked her was not sitting right with her. It felt too much like a loose end. And if there was one thing that she hated, it was loose ends.
She was pouring over her copy of the case, one that she really should not have. But her boss had long ago decided to let a few of the things go that she did. After all, she was the best detective on the force. She had originally trained in New York City. But there were too many painful memories there for her. One that involved her son.
The detective stood up and stretched. She would never be able to tell Riley about his parentage. That would go against the rules. She had given him up for adoption with the stipulation that the records remain sealed. At the time, she did not want any reminders. But now, she just wanted to be a mother to her son. Even if he was now a grown man that could very easily take care of himself.
Quickly, she sat back down. She had to remain focused on what was at hand. Even though she wanted nothing more then to be a mother to her son, it would bring up painful memories. She had been only thirteen when she had been raped. It wasn't your typical rape, not that there was one. But the man had liked to torture her as well.
The detective shook her head to clear the unwanted images from her mind. She opened the folder and began looking at the evidence surrounding the murder weapon. There was no way a girl like Willow Rosenberg could have gotten an army knife. She had been around to all the pawn shops in town. There weren't any that even looked remotely like the one that was the murder weapon.
Being an army knife did give her a suspicion as who it could be if Miss Rosenberg really turned out to be innocent. There were two suspects she had in mind. One was now in the army. He was active duty which would make things that much more difficult for him to leave base. In fact, at the time of the murder, he was on maneuvers. But she had heard of the army covering up things. He was the man's son. That would give him even a greater reason to want to stab the man.
The other suspect didn't appear to have motive. Gunn was never one to be too social, but he had been in the army and had an exemplary record. It was so spotless that it shined when one looked at it. But he was also the one that had no ties to the community. There was a girlfriend, but no family to speak of. It really made her wonder. Until he had gotten the job as security guard at the school, he had been a drifter and been in trouble with the law a few times.
The detective sighed heavily as she closed the file. The case against Willow was nearly air tight. The only real thing that the defense had going for them was the fact that the murder weapon was an army knife. And not the kind that you could go into hunting store and buy. This was one that had been issued to a specific officer. If only the numbers had not been filed off.
Maggie Walsh stood up and went to one of the most dangerous places for her. She unlocked the liquor cabinet. Her reach was for her drink of choice and convenience. The clear liquid was easier to hide then most. Vodka also could pack a punch if you knew what kind to buy. And this detective had connections. She poured herself the first of what she knew would be many drinks to help her unwind.
Of course, one drink would lead to another. And then another. The cycle never seemed to stop with her. It would probably never end for her. She used the alcohol to escape the painful memories. She had since she was twelve years old. Why should things be any different now that she was an adult?
***
Giles kept his eyes on his niece. The prosecutor seemed to be taking her time. She was shuffling through papers, perhaps trying to make him nervous or wonder what she was about to ask him. In the back of his mind, he already knew. He was now the primary care giver of his young niece. He was sure that she wanted to know the reason behind that and why Tara was now staying with him.
Finally, the prosecutor made her way to the witness stand. "You are the defendant's uncle and also you are the one that is guardian to both her and the victim's daughter, correct?"
"Yes." Giles refused to look at her. He knew that she would do her best to try and intimidate him. If only she knew of his past, she would be the one that was intimidated. "I have been for about five months."
"This was after Willow and Tara became lovers, correct?" The prosecutor whirled toward the jury, trying to drive home the point.
"Yes." Giles eyed her. He knew what question would come next. He decided that he would offer what information he knew. "After her accident, my brother found out about the relationship between my niece and Tara. He being very religious decided that it was not supposed to be. I offered to take her in. As for Tara, I had did some investigating. I found out that she was being abused, most likely by her father. In light of this, I offered to give her sanctuary."
"Thank Mr. Giles, but please only answer yes or no." The prosecutor looked at the judge before continuing. "Did your niece like Mr. MaClay?"
"Of course not." Giles refused to keep silent, though instructed otherwise. "How would you feel about the man that was torturing the person you were in love with. She did not care for him one bit. But neither did I or many others in this town."
"Your honor?" The prosecutor made her way to the bench. "Could you please instruct the witness to answer with yes or no answers unless asked to elaborate?"
Before the judge could say anything, Giles smiled sheepishly. "I do apologize to you and the court, your honor. I guess wanting to see justice done and protecting my niece has gotten the better of me. I will do try to keep it in."
"Very well." The judge looked satisfied with his answer. "Please continue with your case. But please hurry. It's almost time to recess for the day."
"Yes, your honor." The prosecutor made her way back to the witness stand. "I have only a couple more questions for the witness. Did you ever hear the witness threaten the life of the victim?"
Giles shook his head. "No, I did not."
"But you knew that there were ill feelings between the two?"
"Of course I did." Giles looked the prosecutor right in the eye. "I live with her. I know most of what goes on." He turned and looked at Willow who was now bright red. She knew immediately what that had meant.
"Yet, you do not know where she was on the night of the murder?"
"I was on a date." Giles sat up straighter. "I was told that she was going to the library alone. Which she does quite often, though usually with Tara."
"And you believed her?" Giles nodded. "Yet you know that she had lied to you in the past. Isn't it true that she told you that she and Tara were not physically involved, yet they have been for some time now?"
Giles chuckled a bit. "You can make it sound bad all you want. If anyone is a parent they know that the most honest and trustworthy child will lie. Especially about something as personal and life altering as that. I knew and it did not bother me a bit."
The prosecutor looked stunned at the answer. "No further questions for the witness." The judged looked at the defense attorney who shook his head no. "Our next witness will be Ethan Rayne."
"Very well. The court is now in recess. We'll begin with Mr. Rayne tomorrow." Giles and Willow's eyes met. They knew that this could be trouble. After all, Ethan had a grudge against his brother. He would not hesitate to use Willow to get back at Giles.
Sign up to rate and review this story