Categories > Games > Star Ocean 3: 'Till the End of Time > In the Ocean of Stars

Watching Him Sleep

by Jurhael 0 reviews

While watching Albel sleep, Cliff notices something.

Category: Star Ocean 3: 'Till the End of Time - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Romance - Published: 2005-08-01 - Updated: 2005-08-02 - 489 words

0Unrated
Ficlet from 30kisses using the theme "Perfect Blue". I thought of this when I remembered a nurse telling me the actual color of blood. Enjoy!

The only time Albel ever looked innocent was when he was asleep. Cliff noted that from the day he first met the younger man, and saw that it never changed and probably never will. It could be said that everyone looked innocent when asleep, but to Cliff, everyone just looked the same, only their eyes were closed. Not Albel. When awake, his crimson-eyed glare pierced everything and everyone. Even when calm, he looked like he would snarl in an instant, and he often did over the smallest of things. Cliff would never cease being irritated by that, but he learned to tolerate it, especially when he had the luxury of watching Albel sleep.

No glare or sneer marred The Wicked One's smooth, almost feminine features. He actually looked peaceful as his chest slowly rose and fell. Cliff wondered how long it would last as he remembered how peace became war as Albel would wake up screaming from all too common nightmares. He never knew what the younger man dreamed of, but he did have ideas based on what he heard back on Elicoor II.. Since Cliff never wanted to risk his tongue with questions, he opted never to ask, and he certainly wouldn't now.

Instead, he put his hand on Albel's chest. Cliff did this as often as he could before he himself fell asleep. Quite naturally, such an act could be bad for his health, but when he felt the slow, strong heartbeat, he figured it was worth the risk. He always did, even when Albel opened his eyes, just like now.

"What are you doing, fool?"

"Eh, what I always do when your asleep."

Albel narrowed his eyes. "Like annoy me?"

"I thought I always did that." Cliff grinned as his fingertips brushed against Albel's chest.

"You do." The younger man pulled away, but only slightly. "Why do you do that anyway?"

"Because when I do, I realize that deep inside a person's body, their blood is not actually red." Cliff lowered his eyes, not knowing what he was thinking with that reply, but he couldn't think of anything else to say.

"What?"

"Outside, the blood is red as I'm sure you know." Cliff had no doubt that Albel did. "But, in a person's veins, the color is actually blue, kind of a perfect blue, in a way."

"Perfect blue?" Albel repeated, his crimson eyes widening.

"Yea, it's a pretty peaceful color, don't you think?"

The only answer Cliff got was, "Bah!" before Albel claimed half of the covers by rolling over.

"I figured you'd say that." Cliff sighed as he too rolled over. "I just like seeing you at peace when you actually sleep, that's all."

When the stolen covers were thrown back over him, the Klausian couldn't help but smile.
Sign up to rate and review this story