Categories > Anime/Manga > Love Mode > The Ways Love Grows

Reiji Steps in

by Jexia 0 reviews

Three months have elapsed since the New Year's Resolution. Reiji wants a progress report.

Category: Love Mode - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Romance - Characters: Reiji, Takamiya - Published: 2005-08-07 - Updated: 2005-08-08 - 1204 words

1Original
Katsura Takamiya had been back in Japan for over three months, and he still could not make up his mind whether to stay in Tokyo or go back to England. The evidence for that fact was that rather than looking for a house or apartment, he was still living in the same suite of the luxury hotel he had settled in on his return to Japan the week before Christmas.

Despite his optimistic resolution at New Year's about finding new love in his life, he hadn't even started looking, much less gone on a date. He had, as his friend, Aoe, feared, simply buried himself in work.

As far as overwork went, Aoe was hardly one to talk. CEO of a wide range of business interests inherited on his father's death, his holdings included real estate, night clubs, and magazines, but most were centered in the gay sex trade. Staying on top of the financial challenge of doing business in a soft economy took much of his energy, but Reiji had a strong drive to succeed. To that end, he worked long hours and often spent the night at his office and used the couch for a bed if he slept at all.

It was never Reiji's childhood dream to be what he would mockingly refer to with friends as a high-class pimp, but as the head of the Aoe house, he had a responsibility to maintain the family fortune. He would play the cards that fate had dealt him, and since it seemed he must deal in human flesh, he would do his best to be scrupulously fair to his investors, his customers, and to his employees.

Some of his employees inspired him with an almost paternal interest in their welfare. Izumi, the number one host of the Blue Boy date club, suffered from heart trouble. Aoe went so far as to make sure that Izumi's clients were screened, so that any who were interested in rough trade were passed on to Jin, who could dish it out or take it as needed.

Kiichi, too, was concerned for Izumi. He occasionally expressed the hope that the young man and one of the Blue Boy Club's rich clients would fall in love. It would be a blessing if someone took Izumi off the market as his health was delicate. When he heard from Reiji that Takamiya was coming back from England, the idea struck him that Katsura would be an ideal match for the sensitive young host. Since before the Christmas party, Kiichi had schemed to get the two together, but his plans had fallen through twice.

As skeptical as Reiji usually was of Kiichi's matchmaking schemes, even he could see that Izumi and Katsura had qualities in common--elegance, refined taste, a love of literature. These thoughts about his friend put him in mind of the last time they had seen each other.

Despite Katsura's efforts to be upbeat at the party, it was clear to Reiji that his usually optimistic friend, was in low spirits. How time had flown. Here it was March already and though they had kept in touch by phone, it was far too long since he had seen his friend. A moment later, he was on the phone, and within minutes, Katsura agreed to meet for drinks later that evening.

Since Aoe's business headquarters and Takamiya's hotel were both located in the Shinjuku district, it was easily arranged and Takamiya was only a few minutes late.

Over whiskey and soda, they chit-chatted about weather, health, and work. After the liquor relaxed them both a little, Reiji asked, "So, Katsura, have you decided on a house or an apartment yet?"

"Neither. I still haven't made up my mind whether to stay or to go back to England."

"But I thought you came back to Japan with the notion of setting down roots."

"That was true, but lately I've been thinking I like the idea of the flexibility of hotel life. I can pick up at any time to travel if I want."

"And have you?"

Takamiya laughed.

"No, I hardly get out of the suite. My editor is a tyrant. Seeing you is the extent of my social life, come to think of it. It's a shame you're taken."

Reiji laughed at that, "Yes, I am taken."

"How is Mirella?" Katsura asked cordially.

"A little too clingy, but she has her good points."

"I meant her health," said Takamiya, amused by Reiji's assessment of own his girl friend.

"Oh, she's fine, but enough about me and my love life. What about you and that New Year's resolution? As I recall you were going to get on with your love life."

"To tell the truth, I haven't had time."

"You mean you haven't made time. Have you even dated?"

"Not once. I guess I'm just not ready yet."

"Oh, you're ready all right, but definitely in a rut. You just need to get your feet wet. Honestly, when was the last time you got laid?"

Takamiya chuckled at his friend's frankness.

"I've missed you, Reiji. You always cut to the chase. All right, you got me. It's been months and months of just me and my hand. So what should I do? Hire a host from the Blue Boy Club?"

"That's exactly what I'm proposing."

"I don't think that a prostitute is going to fill the empty spot in my life."

Aoe absorbed the remark and smirked, "Well, someone's empty spot is going to be filled if you play your cards right, Katsura."

Takamiya laughed at his friend's bawdy practicality.

"Laugh all you want, but I'm not taking no for an answer. You said if you hadn't gotten your love life off the ground by spring, you'd let me step in. Well, it's clear you haven't, so I am. And I don't want to hear any of this 'I'm too busy' song-and-dance, so pick a day."

"Tuesday's best."

"Tuesday it is then. That was easier than I thought. You must be horny."

Takamiya smiled and an attractive blush painted his cheeks.

"I thought so," continued Reiji in the same breezy tone. "I suggest you schedule an afternoon appointment, and if you hit it off, you can move onto other things from there."

"Maybe you could recommend a host for me since you know my preferences."

"As a matter of fact, I do have someone in mind."

"So who is this paragon of the hospitality industry you're setting me up with?"

"Oh, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by Izumi."

"How will I know him when I meet him?"

"He'll be carrying a red rose.

"Where will I meet him?"

"You'll need to call to confirm the appointment with the manager of the Blue Boy and arrange the other details. Here's one of our business cards," Reiji said and presented it to his friend.

"Thank you."

"Now don't get cold feet."

"I said I'd go and I will, if only to get you off my back."

"Now that I have your word, don't even think of canceling at the last minute."

"Would I do that?"

"And try to be on time."

"When have I ever been late?"

Aoe just smiled diplomatically.
Sign up to rate and review this story