Categories > Original > Sci-Fi > Close Encounters

Close Encounter of a Worse Kind

by MarkPoa 1 review

Another close encounter. Short fic written for the same writing challenge.

Category: Sci-Fi - Rating: G - Genres: Humor, Sci-fi - Published: 2007-01-03 - Updated: 2007-01-03 - 387 words

0Unrated
Close Encounter of a Worse Kind

(Author's Note circa 2006: This was originally written in 2000 for a friend's website. The website would issue a writing challenge, or stimulus, every week. This was written for the stimulus "Midiron phasmid nagor snithe byous pollent turkle dight alquifou lareabell iotize gowkit." You can check out the currently inactive website at http://www.chaoseed.com/btr/sbp/ )

**********

"Midiron phasmid nagor snithe byous pollent turkle dight alquifou lareabell iotize gowkit."

"Huh?" I replied.

"Midiron phasmid nagor snithe byous pollent turkle dight alquifou lareabell iotize gowkit," she helpfully repeated. She flashed me a grin that showed her perfectly white teeth.

I reached the translator attached to my right ear. It was probably malfunctioning again.

I took it out and muttered an excuse to her. She looked at me quizzically. Maybe my excuse didn't translate well in her culture.

It took a few minutes, a few taps, and a copper coin; but the translator started working again.

"Ah," I said, as I placed the translator in my ear again. "I'm sorry, my translator was on the fritz. What was it that you said again?"

She smiled at me. "I was asking you if we should get a shuttle tour or a laser gondola ride?"

I adjusted my shirt collar again, but stopped quickly, not wanting her to think I was nervous. I hoped she was going to be a pretty civil date. The intergalactic dating agency I went to had come highly recommended. Though, if it weren't for my friends setting me up to try it, I would rather have stepped in front of a Tirgasian stampede.

Blind dates were definitely not my cup of Lurgmak.

"I suppose the gondola ride will be better," I replied. She nodded and took my offered arm.

"You know, I never dated a Kromician before. But you're turning out to be a pretty good date." She looked at me again and smiled.

"Thank you. For a human, you're not so bad yourself," I complimented her. "And a pretty fine example of your species, too," I whispered to myself. I must have said it a bit louder than expected because she seemed to be blushing.

Maybe this was one blind date that would turn out for the better.

[FIN]

****
Disclaimer:
This does not, in any way, purposely promote intergalactic dating. ^_^
Sign up to rate and review this story