Categories > Movies > Breakfast Club > Next Time Around

Falling Into Place

by TWBasketCase 0 reviews

Monday came and nothing changed. When five teens can't find the courage to like who they want to like, they are lower than ever. What happens when they land in detention again, one year later?

Category: Breakfast Club - Rating: R - Genres: Angst, Drama, Romance - Warnings: [!] [V] - Published: 2007-01-07 - Updated: 2007-01-08 - 3410 words

0Unrated
Brian struggled against the strong grip of Vernon's fist; the older man had a tight hold on the back of his shirt and made no effort to be gentle about it. If Brian didn't know any better, Allison was not even walking anymore; her feet were just dragging along behind her. He let go of him momentarily to open the door to the library and roughly shoved him inside; to his surprise, John, Claire, and Andy were standing at the door waiting for them.

"Brian, what's going...?" Claire started, but was just as quickly cut off by Vernon, who ever so gracefully pushed Allison hard enough that she lost her footing and ended up at Bender's boots. John grabbed her by the arm and heaved her up quickly and turned to Vernon. "What the hell was that for, Dick?"

"GET TO YOUR SEATS NOW!" He bellowed, louder than he had ever addressed them before.

Claire, Allison and Brian quickly made their ways to their seats. Brian pulled out his chair and sat down; holding a breath when he noticed Andy and Bender did not budge.

"Clark! Bender! Sit your asses down now before you regret it!" He had his hands on his hips and his eyes were blazing crazily. Still, John and Andrew did not move.

"You can't put your hands on her like that!" Andy yelled at him, pointing a finger.

John snorted. "I always knew you had a thing for little girls and all Dick, but come on..." Bender smirked at Vernon's ever growing anger. "Child abuse in the work place is a little much, no?"

Surprising them all, Vernon actually grabbed a hold of John's collar and pushed him so that he was pinned against the library desk. "What did you say you piece of shit?"

Andrew quickly grabbed John and ripped him from Vernon's grasp, both boys backing away warily. John straightened his shirt out and glared dangerously at Vernon. "You know, you should really watch what you're doin', Dick..."

"Sit down!" He screamed in the faces of the two boys. Brian never recalled a time where he had seen Vernon angrier than he was at that moment. Brian realized that he was potentially in a lot of trouble here, and based on the fiery way Vernon looked now, Brian was afraid as to what the consequences may be. He sure did hope that he wasn't going to be locked in the madman's closet.

Andy and John backed towards the table across from Claire slowly, and eventually both boys pulled out chairs and sat down, their cold, fixed stares never leaving Vernon. Vernon himself, glared right back as if the stares of the boys - which would have intimidated anyone else - meant absolute shit to him.

"I want to know right now why you were out in that hallway young lady!" His anger was now directed at Allison, who seemed to shrink down in her desk as he pointed at her. It made Brian angry.

She said nothing, only stared up at him with her lips pursed into a fine line. This only seemed to make Vernon angrier. "And don't even try and say that you weren't!" He reached into his pocket and pulled out what looked to be a tampon. "I know this does NOT belong to Mr. Bender OR Mr. Clark."

Allison set her jaw and said nothing, she only sat timidly, as if at any Vernon would make the poor girl cry. Brian felt horrible that she had to endure his anger because she only wanted to cheer him up.

Vernon stormed over to her desk and leaned over it so that he was inches from her face. "Well? What do you have to say for yourself?"

Her chin wobbled and she sank deeper into her chair so that her shoulders were visible at the top of the desk. She opened her mouth to speak, but someone beat her to it.

"She doesn't talk, sir."

Vernon's head whipped around to face Bender. "You will not speak for her!"

Bender only shrugged. "She's a mute, sir."

He spun around once more so that he was facing Allison. "You didn't seem to have a problem speaking up to Mrs. Casey, now did you?" Allison's cheeks turned a light shade of pink, but she still made no move to reply. "What was it that you said to her? Huh? All you are is a trouble maker!"

He turned to face Brian. "And just what were you doing out in the hallway, peewee?" Vernon bent over and put his hands on his knees, "Hooking her up with some of your stash, is that it? Selling drugs from your locker? I know all about you, Johnson."

Brian glared. "What do you know?"

Vernon widened his eyes at Brian's outburst, which made the younger boy both want to laugh and want to take it back. "I know that I will be calling the University of Houston and informing them of your delinquency."

Brian shot up from his seat so fast that his chair tipped over. "You can't do that!"

Vernon laughed at him. "Oh I can, and I will. I have had just about enough of you little punks. Mark my word each and every one of you are going to regret fucking with me today."

Bender snorted. "Oh yeah? And just what the fuck do you think you can do, huh Rich? Suspend me? Send me home for a vacation? I don't have a fuckin' college that is gonna give a shit..."

Vernon gave him a smug grin. "Remember Bender...one of these days, I'm gonna get ya. Remember that?" He marched his way towards the now extremely angry Bender and grinned. "I'm gonna knock your dick in the dirt!"

Andy shook his head. "Oh yeah? And I think we're just going to have to report you for threats..." he turned around to look at Allison. "And for putting your hands on an under aged girl."

Bender smiled smugly. "What a pity, Rich." Vernon glared at him, and he grinned. "They may not believe me, but," he pointed over to Andrew with his thumb. "But Andrew here is a swell guy...people love him around here. You really think they'll believe you over the five of us?"

Brian laughed. "So you aren't gonna say anything to my school."

Vernon walked briskly towards Brian and pointed in his face. "You better watch your tone with me!"

"Or what?" Bender piped up again. Vernon's face turned an unnatural shade of red. "That's it, Bender...you're mine!" He rushed towards John and once again grabbed him by the shirt collar. He brought his arm back and probably would have hit him if it wasn't for Carl's cart banging through the library door.

He looked at Vernon in horror. "Rich! What in the hell are you doin', man?"

Vernon quickly released his hold on Bender; John bit his lip and looked at Carl 'sadly'. "He was hurting me..."

Carl's eyes widened and Vernon squirmed. "Carl, this is not what it looks like!"

Carl looked back and forth between Bender and Vernon, and then to the rest of the students. Brian cleared his throat. "He wants to destroy my scholarship..."

Allison squeaked. "I have rug burn on my knees."

Carl widened his eyes at her, probably wondering either where the rug burn was from or why she was talking period. He rubbed his hand over his balding head and stepped down to the main floor of the library. "I think you crossed the line here Rich..."

"No Carl!" Vernon surprised them all with his reaction and placed his hands on his head. "I found them out in the hall! They were running around and destroying property and smoking drugs!"

Carl's eyes widened considerably at that. "Vern...don't you think you are being a little ridiculous here?"

Brian grinned at Carl; even though Vernon was technically right he gave Carl no reassurance for his compromising position. Vernon lost and all seven of them knew it. Richard stood up straight and his arms dropped to his sides. "If you guys don't say a word, and finish this last detention, we're clear here, okay?"

Andy narrowed his eyes. "I think we should all be exempt from detention for the rest of the year!"

Vernon nodded. "Whatever you want."

Bender snorted. "That includes me too, Dick."

Vernon scowled but grudgingly obliged. "No breaking anything, as soon as four o'clock hits you are free to go and then I don't want to hear from any of you for the rest of your pathetic high school careers!"

He pointed his finger at each one of them, trying to make sure that everyone had understood. Carl still stood there dumbfounded. "This is so fucked up..."

Vernon then pointed at Carl. "We understood?"

Carl held out his hand. When Vernon did budge he raised his eyebrows expectantly. "You know what to do..."

Vernon cursed. "How much?"

Carl shrugged. "Fifty bucks. And another twenty-five for not thinking you have completely lost your nut and gone insane." Vernon stared at him angrily but dug into his wallet and handed over the cash. Brian could not believe what he was seeing. First he actually sees Vernon try and hit a student, then he threatens them all - in front of each other - and then Carl bribes him into giving him money. Shermer High was fucked.

Bender laughed out loud. "You're the man, Carl!"

"Shut the hell up, Bender!"

... ... ...

Andrew stared at the retreating backs of the two older men in disbelief; he could not believe he just witnessed Vernon fly off the handle like that. It was one thing to push Allison around and actually grab Bender, but to go as far as reporting Brian to his college? That was just uncalled for. He realized that Vernon was probably not too impressed about having to 'baby sit' them again, but he had never seen the older man so persistent to bring someone down - including Bender.

He turned around to the boy next to him. "Are you okay man?"

Bender snorted. "Yeah, man that guy is fucked!"

Andy shook his head. "I never thought he would take it that far..."

Claire and Brian nodded in agreement, but Bender just shrugged. "I did."

Andy cocked an eyebrow and adjusted himself in his seat so that he was facing him completely. "Yeah? Why is that?"

Bender shrugged again and reached into his pocket for a cigarette. "He pulled the same shit fit on me last year when he put me in his closet."

Andrew furrowed his eyebrows; he didn't recall Bender saying that to them last year. In fact, he just came bounding - or falling, literally - back into the library without worry. He just hid under the desk and that was the end of it - nothing was done about it. "Did he hit you then?" Claire asked quietly.

John snorted. "No...he tried scarin' me and shit, but..." He shook it off. "...he's just fucked."

Brian cleared his throat. "Do you guys really think he would have called my school? I mean, I know I went against his rules and all...you know, wasn't supposed to be out in the hall, but...he can't do that, can he?"

Andrew shrugged, he had no idea. He wasn't in the same boat as Brian so he couldn't say for sure.

Claire rolled her eyes. "I wouldn't put it past him, but what could your school do?"

Brian shrugged. "Revoke my scholarship...change their minds..."

"They can do that to people?" Allison asked quietly from behind him. Andy turned and around and watched her; she was still ducking in her desk, but was regarding Brian none the less. Brian nodded. "Yeah they can."

Claire turned around so that she too was facing him. "Where are you going again?"

Brian seemed to have his interests peeked at this point. "University of Houston. I'm gonna major in teaching."

Bender snorted. "Why the fuck would you want to do that?"

"So I can baby-sit jerks like you, Bender," he drawled, rolling his eyes.

Bender cocked an eyebrow. "You're too much of a push over."

Brian shook his head. "Well, whatever. I think the main reason why I wanted to is because, well...I'm still having problems with my parents pushing me so much with my grades. It's really messing with my motivation and what not..." He scratched his head and looked back and forth from Claire and Andy. "I just want to be able to help people without being a burden, you know."

Claire nodded. "Are they still as bad as they used to be?"

Brian half nodded and half shrugged, "Yeah...and no. After the whole flare gun thing, and the whole 'problem' they kinda think, I'm like, you know...ready to snap at any time. On the other hand they want me to have something to focus on and get into a good school and all that. I don't really know what they think of me anymore."

Andy nodded his head understandingly. "So they know about everything?"

Brian nodded. "Yeah...the cops called them. Now they think I am gonna end up in jail or something."

Bender cocked an eyebrow. "Search day?"

Brian snorted and shook his head angrily. "Yeah...I was the only fucking kid who got caught. I couldn't even believe it. My mom actually cried." He regarded the group again. "They want to send me to professional help."

"Maybe you should go..." Came a small voice from behind them. Andy turned around and watched as Allison cocked her head to the side and observed Brian.

Brian didn't seem too put off by her statement and only shrugged. "Maybe, but I don't know what good it will do."

Claire reached across the table and grabbed his hand. "Well, it's kind of hard to talk to your parents, isn't it?" She asked softly. When he only shrugged she continued. "Maybe you won't hurt so much any more if you had someone to talk to."

He pulled his hand away and crossed his arms in front of his chest. "Maybe, but I think I'll be fine once I get away from Shermer...kinda of, you know, get on my own and not have to worry so much."

Andy nodded and cleared his throat. "Yeah well, he's probably right. That scholarship will probably be the best thing that ever happens to you."

Brian cocked an eyebrow. "Where are you going?"

Andy shook his head and looked to the floor. "No where."

... ... ...

Claire furrowed her eyebrows and watched the blonde jock across from her. She, as well as Brian, was going to college. Her dad was paying for it of course, but she was more than excited to get away from Shermer and go to Philadelphia. She was accepted into the University of Pennsylvania. She was going to get a masters in nursing. Andy - of all of them - was going places, and for him to say no where came as a huge surprise to her.

"What are you talking about?" She asked him incredulously.

He shrugged. "My wrestling days are over; college isn't really an option."

His cryptic words burned in her mind; what on earth was he talking about? She watched as Allison stood up and went to sit behind him. Andy studied her face and they just locked stares. Claire was bewildered as to what was going on between the two of them.

Allison raised her eyebrows. "You can tell me."

Andy dropped his gaze and folded his hands. He sat quietly for a few moments before he spoke up again. "Remember when I told you guys that I wished my knee would give?"

Brian nodded somberly. "What happened to it?"

Andy shrugged. "It never got any better, but at the same time never got any worse."

Claire watched quietly as the usually tough jock rubbed his face with his hands and slumped his shoulders. "It bothered me every single match that I went through. After awhile, I started to lose my speed, and my agility - my flexibility." He looked back at Allison. "That patch you have, it came from my sophomore year. That was my best year. I beat every single person they threw at me in state. Then last year I came in fourth. This year I'm not even going."

Andy's eyes began to cloud with darkness and anger. He was clenching and unclenching his fists, trying to keep his emotions in check. Claire leaned forward so that she was a bit closer to him. "What happened, Andy?"

"That fucking prick!" He yelled, slamming his fist down on his table with a force that made Bender - who was seated next to him - flinch. "He pushed me every fucking day and told me I was a fuck up for losing my motivation. He told me that all I ever do is lose; that I can't even get a simple side head lock right anymore." He raked his hands through his hair and sighed. "He wasn't taking any excuses. Not my knee, not my motivation, not even me losing or winning a match was taken into consideration any more."

It pained Claire to see him this way again. She never had high expectations from her parents for sports, or even her grades. She had no idea what it was like to be pushed past her limits, and she was glad. But she wished that she could relate; that just for this second be able to tell him she understood what he was going through. In the past three years Andy's will and momentum had shot downwards, and it was no secret throughout Shermer High.

He sat back so that his back was straight against the chair. "I just couldn't do it anymore; I was burned out. My mind couldn't take it and my body couldn't take it. But I couldn't tell him that. I couldn't tell him that he was pushing me too hard and that I was training too much - he didn't even think a weekend break was necessary." He wiped at his forehead with the back of his forearm, letting it fall lazily back into his lap. "I was weak and I couldn't even come up with the balls to tell him. I just let it go and let it go until it came back and bit me in the ass."

Allison reached forwards and placed a hand on his shoulder. "What happened?"

"I lost a qualifying match - second round. I lost to a guy that I had beaten probably - ten, eleven...thirteen times before." He shook his head angrily and clenched his fist, "He beat me in minutes. I hardly got any offence in at all. He got the pin and I just stormed back to the locker room. I flipped out - I couldn't handle it anymore. I busted a mirror; a stall door; I trashed a couple of lockers." He sighed angrily and his eyes began to well up. The sight made Claire's chest tighten. "And this kid - this skinny fucking towel boy came in and told me, 'better luck next time'; that I 'was Andrew Clark and that I could always get better'. I was so sick and tired of being told I can be better."

Brian regarded him carefully. "What did you do to him?"

Andrew bit his lip and clenched his eyes shut. "I pummeled him. I just got on top of him and wailed on him. I kicked the shit out of the kid because he sounded just like my old man to me. Instead of trying to impress him this time, I wanted to hurt my dad. I wanted to show him that I was sick and - fucking - tired of being told I have to be number one. No more." Tears began to fall down his cheeks, leaving a wet trail. "They kicked me off of the wrestling team for good. Revoked all applications of athletic scholarships and put a permanent delinquency on my school record. They were even going to charge me since I'm eighteen now."

Claire watched as Allison quickly dabbed at her eyes. Even Bender was staring at the floor quietly. She swallowed hard. "Is there anything you can do?"

Andy shook his head. "My old man doesn't even know yet. He can't pay for college. Wrestling's over, school's over. I don't know what the fuck I am gonna do."

TBC
Sign up to rate and review this story