Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Time to Live

Meet the Press

by loralee1 0 reviews

AU Post OotP, No HBP, With Voldemort gone it's time for Harry to Live.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure - Characters: Arthur Weasley, Dobby, Dumbledore, Fred, George, Ginny, Harry, Hermione, Kingsley, Luna, Lupin, Molly Weasley, Moody, Neville, Ron - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2007-01-20 - Updated: 2007-01-21 - 1296 words

5Exciting
Time to Live 14
By Loralee
Disclaimer: Not mine, making no profit, taking no credit, I didn't do it, not my fault; don't know what you're talking about.

Meet the Press

Harry's whirling thoughts came to a crashing halt as he stepped out of the lift in the Ministry's Atrium and was immediately swarmed by reporters. They surrounded him and began shouting questions as Harry stared in astonishment.

"Mr. Potter, is it true you were attacked by Death Eaters last night?"

"Harry, do you have a girlfriend?"

"Mr. Potter, care to comment on the death of Lucius Malfoy?"

"What do you think of the job the Minister is doing?"

"Mr. Potter, will you be attending the Death Eater trials?"

"How did you do on your OWL's?"

"Will you be returning to Hogwarts this year?"

"Harry, what is your relationship with Hermione Granger?"

"Is it true, that you are contracted to marry three different girls?"

Harry's eyes narrowed at some of the questions being shouted out at him. He couldn't answer any of them, as the questions came to fast and furious. Just beyond the crowd he saw Aurors approaching. One of the Aurors let off a cannon blast spell at the ceiling, quieting the crowd.

"You need to back away from Mr. Potter. He can't answer anything if you are all yelling. Mr. Potter do you wish to speak to these reporters or shall I escort you to the apparition point?"

Another reporter heard this question and shouted, "Do you often apparate illegally, Potter?"

The Auror facing Harry rolled his eyes and Harry's narrowed even further.

"Yes, I believe I'd like to make a statement," said Harry. The Aurors pushed the reporters back a little further. Harry straightened his shoulders and took a deep breath.

"I don't often speak in public; I don't like reporters, I don't like gossip and lies told about me. I hold an International Apparition license that I tested for this summer in the United States. I am a legal adult and therefore able to do magic within the secrecy statutes. I will be attending the trial. My private life is not open to the public, that's why it's called private. I will be returning to Hogwarts this fall. I do have one news worthy thing to announce. I have accepted a provisional contract to play Quidditch with the English National Team. I hope to perform well enough to make the cut next spring."

"Were you attacked last night?" someone yelled.

"Three Death Eaters attempted to portkey to my location, however I've been informed that their portkey malfunctioned. That is all I have to say at this time," said Harry. He turned to the Auror who nodded and began to lead him toward the Apparition point, the other Aurors held off the reporters who began to shout out questions once more.

Finally Harry made it to the exit and apparated away. Several reporters tried to trace his signature but failed.


Several hours later Harry Potter in his goblin glamour alias of Nigel Grim sat outside Forscues Ice Cream Shop eating a cone and watching the people pass by in glorious anonymity.

"Hello, Harry," said a voice next to him. In complete shock, he turned his head and gazed up at Luna Lovegood.

"I'm sorry, my name is Nigel," he said, discreetly checking that his glamour was working.

"Oh, of course it is, Harry. Don't worry I won't tell anyone." Her eyes widened just a bit more. "That's a good look for you."

Harry sighed, "How did you know?" Her expression turned to one of amazement.

"I can always see you, Harry," said Luna.

"It’s Nigel, Luna, please call me Nigel," said Harry, glancing around. He really didn't want to be mobbed again.

"All right, Nigel, and you can call me Bernice," said Luna gazing over Harry's left shoulder.

Harry glanced over his shoulder and turned back to Luna, "Bernice?" He wasn't sure he wanted to know.

"Yes then we can both be in disguise," said Luna, with an air that told Harry he should have already known that.

He nodded once and then, "Lun, er Bernice, what are you looking at?"

"Neville Longbottom."

Harry looked over his shoulder once more. This time he saw Neville entering into Diagon Alley from the Leaky Cauldron. He looked back at Luna who began to wave at Neville. Harry hung his head; this was not going to end well.

Neville stepped over to Luna, "Hi Luna, how are you?"

"I'm Bernice today, this is my friend Nigel, who would you like to be today?" asked Luna with a wide smile.

Neville's eyebrow's rose, "Uh, I think I'll stay Neville today, if that's all right?"

Harry chuckled and Neville turned to him and stuck out his hand. "Nigel was it, pleased to meet you. How do you know Luna er, um, Bernice?"

Harry smiled widely. "Bernice and I go to the same school."

Neville looked startled; looked Nigel up and down, looked at Luna for a moment and then back to Nigel. "Oh, are you a Ravenclaw, you don't look familiar."

"Neville, are saying you don't recognize the best defense teacher we've ever had?" said Luna.

Neville's eyes widened and Harry chuckled again.

"Hey, Nev, how's the new wand?"

"Harry?" whispered Neville.

Harry nodded, "I'm under glamour. I don't want to get mobbed you know. I'm glad to see you both. I was going to write both of you soon to find out if you'd like to go to the World Cup. I have a box and a place to stay in Athens. Remus Lupin is chaperoning. I can send you more details by owl or come talk to your Gran or Dad if you want?" said Harry.

"I'd be happy to go, I'm sure Daddy won't care," said Luna.

"I don't know Harry, Gran might not let me, there are still Death Eaters out there and she's all strange."

"It's Nigel, Nev, what do you mean 'strange'?" asked Harry.

"Well, you know that my parent were attacked after you got rid of Voldemort the first time. There are still Death Eaters around and she is afraid something is going to happen. I really had to work to get her let me come down to the book store today."

"Maybe if Remus went to talk to her?" asked Harry.

Neville nodded, "That might work. I'd really like to go." He looked at his watch, "I really need to go. I…it was nice to meet you, Nigel, Bernice." He grinned and then walked quickly on down the alley toward Flourish and Blotts.

Harry turned to Luna, "So, how's your holiday been so far, Bernice?"

"All right, we didn't find any Crumple-horned Snorkacks in Sweden but we saw signs of a tribe of black winged simians. Daddy has pictures for the next issue," said Luna.

Harry nodded trying to work through that statement, wondering what he should say next.

"It's been nice talking with you, Nigel but I should go. I need to fix something for Daddy to eat this evening." Luna looked closely at him, "Don't worry, I can see that you will do the right thing. Trust yourself." She blinked once and then walked away leaving Harry to stare after her.


Harry spent the next morning sorting the rest of his mail and discovered his OWL results. He'd done reasonably well; with an O+ in DADA, O's in Charms and Creatures, EE's in Transfiguration, Potions and Herbology, A in Astronomy, P's in Divination and History.

He owled Remus and they met for lunch. Remus agreed to talk to Mrs. Longbottom. He spent the afternoon roaring around London on the motorcycle. Thinking about the trials, Snape, classes, being an Auror, and the future of the DA.

Revised 1/18/07
Sign up to rate and review this story