Categories > Anime/Manga > Chrono Crusade > Coniunctus

Chapter 3

by quicksilvermad 1 review

Chrno, tired of being a hindrance in fights with devils (because of the diminutive stature of his child form), looks to Elder for a way to conserve the same amount of Astral Energy and yet appear o...

Category: Chrono Crusade - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Romance - Characters: Chrono, Rosette Christopher - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2007-01-20 - Updated: 2007-01-21 - 1061 words

3Original
AN: Sorry this took me so long! And I'm sorry it's so short... I truly appreciate the reviews from everyone! I've been busy with classes-last quarter was rough on me what with the portfolio review, the culinary show, and life in general... College is rough. Even what is called "college" at the Art Institute.

PART 3:

Sister Claire dropped her broom at the sight. A gorgeous man with long violet hair was speeding across the courtyard with Rosette Christopher hot on his heels. Both were breathless with laughter. A light spring breeze chased the pair across the lawn toward the well pump. Rosette almost caught up with the man, but he zigged when she zagged, reached around, and hauled her up in the air with one arm around her waist.

His purple braid had that signature yellow bow at the end.

Claire just couldn't wrap her mind around the sight of Chrno the Sinner, six feet tall and devastatingly handsome.

Oh, applesauce. She thought. And I was nervous around him when he looked like a little kid?

*

Rosette squealed and thumped her fists against Chrno's back-the solid sound of him reverberated in her ear.

"Chrno, put me down!" she yelped.

Now laughing, Chrno flipped her back onto her feet and Rosette found herself at the full frontal blast of his ecstatic smile.

Rosette laughed as well.

"It's been so long since I heard you laugh like this," she confessed.

That flirtatious breeze kicked up once again and tousled their loose hair. Chrno's laughter died down and he cleared his throat. "How are you feeling?" he asked.

Rosette sat down on the stone ledge and glanced up at the leaking well pump. "I'm Jake. Feeling... Really great."

Chrno shoved his hands in his pockets and nudged her knee with his shin. "The watch is moving backwards," he said.

Rosette looked down at the clock still around her neck and observed that it was indeed ticking counter-clockwise. "What do you think it means?" she asked.

Chrno plopped down beside her and carefully pulled the heavy chain and clock over her head. Rosette breathed shakily and held her hand over her heart. It felt a lot like part of her body was now missing-she'd worn the timepiece for so long...

"I think the Contract is broken," he looked her in the eye and then just above the crown of her head. "I can see it. Your aura is growing stronger..."

"I'm getting my life back?"

He grinned again. "Yeah, I think you are."

Rosette couldn't resist. She jumped across his lap and hugged him. "This is great!"

Chrno hugged her back and smiled into her hair. "It's better than great," he admitted, suddenly feeling that clenching sensation in the back of his throat that signified oncoming tears.

Rosette fingered the collar of his borrowed shirt and laughed. "I suppose this means we need to get you some new gear."

Chrno held her at arms length and raised a brow at her.

"Boots, a coat, maybe a sword..."

He smiled affectionately at her-brushing at a strand of hair that rebelled with the breeze and obscured her vision. "I bet you can't wait to go on a mission now," he observed.

Distracted by his touch, Rosette could only nod.

"Then we can both send some devils back where they belong."

Rosette nodded again.

"You hungry?" Chrno asked suddenly-jolting Rosette out of her stupor.

"Hmm? Oh, yeah, I'm famished. You?"

He made an indifferent face that had Rosette mesmerized for a few seconds. "I could eat." Not that I really need to.
Rosette grabbed his hand and stood. "Then let's go eat!" she exclaimed.

She then tried to drag Chrno to his feet like she usually did but was met with a bit more resistance than she was used to. Chrno stood as well and linked his arm with hers.

Rosette blushed as his palm covered her battle-scarred knuckles and remained there. She slid her gaze up to his face as they walked toward the cafeteria and allowed herself to get lost in the new lines of Chrno's face.

He looked so different... So much like his devil-form and yet so much unlike it as well. Though his build remained pretty much the same as...

Rosette's mind suddenly flashed a few minutes earlier.

Naked. I saw him naked. I saw Chrno... All of Chrno. Every last tanned inch of him.

Her cheeks suddenly flushed hotly with her embarrassment. "Oh God," she murmured.

Chrno suddenly looked down at Rosette-his golden eyes darting across her features to take in that wonderfully dark shade of red she'd turned. "What?" he asked.

Rosette struggled to meet his eyes. "Um, nothing?"

He grinned widely again. "Oh, it's something, alright."

She looked back down at his hand-gently covering her own-and cleared her throat. "Well, it's just... I mean, I saw... Chrno, I saw you..."

"What, naked?"

Her free hand came up and clapped itself over her heated face. "Um, yeah."

Chrno shrugged easily. "That's okay. Hey-the line's short today," he said, indicating the lunch queue.

He changed the subject. That means he's nervous... Rosette mused silently. "Probably because it's beef stew day," she said aloud.

Chrno pouted, and Rosette saw it out of the corner of her eye and had to force a grin back. He's so cute when he does that...

"I like the beef stew," Chrno murmured. He then looked down at his unbuttoned shirt, swore in a language Rosette didn't understand, and proceeded to button it up and tuck it in his pants.

It was the sound of his suspenders snapping across his shoulders that caused the quiet lunchroom to quiet to the point of "advanced silence." The pair of exorcists ignored this, got their food, and settled into their usual table.

Rosette plowed into her meal like usual-nearly choking on her food with the speed she shoveled it into her mouth. Chrno, usually the quieter of the two during mealtime, suddenly started a race with her. Eyes locked on each other, they ate faster and faster until the sound of a spoon hitting the bottom of an empty bowl declared the winner.

Rosette, mouth hanging open in shock, stopped eating.

Chrno grinned widely and wiped at the edges of his mouth with the back of his hand. "I win," he declared.

Rosette laughed.


To Be Continued...

Please keep reviewing, folks!
Sign up to rate and review this story