Categories > Books > Harry Potter

The Chamber of Secrets

by Corvis 0 reviews

A small previously unknown chapter of the Founders memoirs, explaining the Chamber of Secrets.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama - Characters: Godric Gryffindor, Helga Hufflepuff, Rowena Ravenclaw, Salazar Slytherin - Published: 2007-01-25 - Updated: 2007-01-26 - 1494 words - Complete

4Original
Chamber of Secrets

Dearest Reader,

Thank you for your purchase of Hogwarts - A History, know that Flourish and Blotts takes great measures to make every reader a happy reader.

It is with this in mind that we present to you the following Chapter of this manuscript. It has only recently been discovered, and is still under much investigation by the Ministry and other persons of interest.

The following passage was penned by Salazar Slytherin, founder of the Slytherin House and included in these early memoirs, unable to be read until the Chamber of Secrets had been reopened. It is believed that it was penned in the most complex invisible ink, and charmed to appear only when the Chamber had been breached.

In striving to bring you, the reader, the most uncensored copy of any publication, we have included these formerly blank pages in all duplicates of the original, knowing that if what was written was meant to be read, it would make itself known, and in the meantime lie dormant in all copies of this publication. And we here at Flourish and Blotts strive to protect the integrity of all of our authors.

Thank you again for your purchase!

Bertha Blotts


1052 October 30

It is with both a shaking hand and deep remorse I write this. This is the last of my days in this home I have built. From the ground we have raised stones, students and legend, and I am loath to say my dealings in such things have ended. For too long have I suffered the indignities of my peers, and their dealings with those better left alone.

I must say I have seen this day coming, but this last week has brought many changes to light that I can no longer bear. The strain of trying to hide that which I am is no longer a choice. I am forced to leave behind that which I have had a hand making.

I will explain the need for my leaving, to clear my name, in the event that my legacy is marred.

I came to this school with my associate, Godric Gryffindor, and have, for many years worked side by side with him. It was under the guidance of one Rowena Ravenclaw theat we embark on the mission of bringing proper education to witches and wizards in this time of great persecution, give them a safe haven from those who would see us burn and otherwise be eliminated as a group.

At the time, the Wizard's Council was ineffectually trying to do something of the same, but had only the lives of the rich and old blood in their plans. Likewise, the newly established Ministry of Magic was trying to make strides in ceasing persecutions and heading off witch hunts before they even began. Rowena made a plea to both for the start of a school where all could be taught and kept safe away from prying muggle eyes, but such associations were only interested in looking after themselves. There were no havens for the young to properly learn and thrive. Rowena had taken her endeavor into her own hands, and had enlisted the three of us into her cause.

It was her fire that spurred me to take the actions that I had. In following her, I was disowned from my family. My father, watching out only for his interests, thought that a school was no place for his only son to serve. I was slated to be his right hand on the board of the Wizard's Council, to head off the Ministry, to follow in his footsteps. But I was rebellious and sought change, and I fear I fell prey to the self-absorbed petulant child I was raised as. I did not appreciate that which I had, and upon seeing my mistake, realized it was far too late to change the course of events which had transpired.

I was in love.

Curse to the fires the emotions that woman rose in my heart. She spun a web on me, and I was ill prepared to fight it, not even realizing I was wrapped in it. From the first time I brought her dahlias with maroon and white petals to the last time I brought her black orchids, I was helpless.

She was the smartest witch of her time, an avatar of knowledge. From the moment I laid eyes on her, lying on the ground, cursing at Godric, I knew I would come to love her. Godric and I had been part of the Ministry in the early days, a small sect of men called the 'Obliviators'. It was lowly work, dressing as muggles, modifying memories, but Godric and I had been called to a street where a child in a tantrum had conjured mounds of custard quite by accident. Whilst Godric attended to the child, I vanished the custard, and found at the bottom of the mess one woman with the picture of rage on her face. She never did forgive Godric.

After a period of courting, and in the process, creating the school, Rowena and I shared many days of companionship. I lamented that we had waited so long in life to find each other. It was at this time Godric proposed the 'Sorting Hat'. All of us knew that we would not be around forever to hand sort our students, and to keep our integrity it was devised that a hat would be imbibed with our desires for a student, and the hat alone would sort them. Godric brought out his best hat, and each of us were to pour out that which we sought into the hat, insuring that a student would not have to suffer Legimency to be sorted.

It was such a simple thing, really. Not having to explain that which I sought before had kept all inquiries away. Godric sought the brave and quick to act, all qualities he harbored in himself. Helga sought the hard working and eager to learn, qualities that she also harbored. She would take the rest as well, not being very picky. Rowena sought the wise, intelligent and clever of the bunch, all qualities that she prided herself on. I vowed to take the pure of blood, the cunning, and ambitious. All qualities I had in myself.

It was on that night, fifteen years to the day that we had opened the doors for the first time, that I left. For it was my decisions that cursed me. My dearest Rowena had seen the things that I hold sacred and she was ashamed.

I cannot begin to describe the hurt that was wrought on my very being that night when she cast me aside. For fifteen years we had built something together, a bond that I thought I would take to death. But Rowena was an intelligent, independent woman. The fight that ensued when we discussed our methods could be heard to the deepest bowels of the school. She could not understand why I would chose that which I did, and I could not bring myself to understand her likewise. Mudbloods, half-bloods, blood traitors and the like. She was smarter than that, and far more noble. I was at a loss.

It was in her anger that she sent me away. Not from the school, but from her side. Away from the school I could go, but from her side, I would never survive.

I, Salazar Slytherin, had fallen prey to an evil far worse than any other I had imagined. And I lacked any defense.

In my study I had paced. It was a long while before my old friend Godric had called on me. He came, bearing a bottle of wine and a sympathetic ear. I poured out to him all that had happened and he listened. It was at the end of this conversation he spoke to me. He told me that I was to leave the castle, that I had tainted everything that they had built. My ideals had no place in the walls, my ideas hindered more than helped, and that I had learned nothing. He likened me to my father, who I had long cut ties with. It was this second strike against me that I could not bear.

I did not leave.

I retired to the cellar of the school. To live out my days as they would come, never to see her face again. This Chamber is my secret. That love had so burned me, that friendship had so scorned me. I knew, I had learned what evils face a man, and I could face them no more.

It is with a dying hand that I write this. I am not alone. I have discovered a basilisk. Just a small thing now, I have relied on it to keep me aware of the happenings above.

It is with a dying thought that I learned that Rowena bore me a son.


END
Sign up to rate and review this story