Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Independence Day

Slip Sliding Away

by tumshie1960 4 reviews

The next installment, read, enjoy, review

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: R - Genres: Drama, Romance - Characters: Other - Warnings: [!!] [?] [X] - Published: 2007-01-26 - Updated: 2007-01-26 - 3775 words

5Funny
Disclaimer: Harry Potter and other canon characters belong to JKR I'm only having some fun
Disclaimer: Harry Potter and other canon characters belong to JKR I'm only having some fun


Chapter 13 Slip Sliding Away


McGonagall's Office



Minerva McGonagall was not a happy kitty, her two best students, the ones that had shown true leadership skills throughout their Hogwarts' careers, had declined the sixth year prefect posts and with it their chances of being Head Boy and Girl the following year. She looked at her choices, Lavender Brown and Parvati Patil, they were too gossipy, too flighty and cared more for the latest copy of Witch Weekly than studying for exams or completing class assignments, their O.W.L. scores were just good enough.



The boys weren't much better, Dean Thomas was the best of the bunch but his O.W.L. scores let him down, Seamus Finnegan was a drunk in the making unless some witch took him under her wing and set him straight. Ron Weasley was disqualified due to him losing his badge, that left Neville Longbottom. She scanned his O.W.L. scores again, only Potions let him down and she knew the reason for that, for years she had been complaining about Snape's bias against her House but Dumbledore let it slide saying it had to happen to make Snape credible in the eyes of other Death Eaters. Taking a deep breath she made her decision, she would name Longbottom as male prefect and make Parvati the female prefect, if they didn't work out, maybe she would be able to persuade Hermione and Harry to fill the posts.



As she sent the letters off with school owls Dumbledore knocked her door and walked in.



"Good morning, Minerva," he started.



"What's so good about it" she almost snarled, just managing to stop herself at the last minute. "My two best sixth years have refused the prefect posts they are entitled to and have cited the reason for it being they don't want to accept a position of authority under you."



"But surely their O.W.L. results would forbid their selection" replied Dumbledore. "from what I remember both of them scored no higher than Acceptable on most of their exams, and Mr. Potter failed Potions, a core subject. The rules say prefects must score Exceeds Expectations or better on all core subjects."



"Actually I was coming in to discuss offering Potter an Apprenticeship with me, to see if personal tuition would be helpful to him, of course his Quidditch ban is still in place as only the person placing the ban on him can rescind it, and as he had Delores arrested, I doubt she'll comply."



"Sorry Headmaster but the O.W.L. scores I received for Potter and Granger seem to differ from what you're saying. Ms. Granger passed everything except for Ancient Runes with an 'O', and she got an 'EE' for Ancient Runes'



"Mr. Potter failed History of Magic, not surprising considering what happened, got a 'Pass' in Divination, 'EE' in Potions and an 'O' in everything else, you must have got mixed up with someone else's scores."



"Yes, I see so many results, I must be wrong." He stuttered out. "Well as that was what I came to discuss, I guess I'll go now. Bye"



"Goodbye, Albus"



By the time Dumbledore got back to his office he could hardly contain his rage, once again he had been outwitted and didn't know how it had happened, but he was sure that Potter was behind it. There was nothing else for it, he needed to put Potter and Granger in their place, but how?



Then it came to him, Draco Malfoy, Potter had caused his capture and currently the boy was being held in Wizarding Youth Custody. None of his relatives could or would acknowledge him, he would make him an offer he couldn't refuse.



Auror Headquarters Canteen.



Aurors Tonks and Jones had just finished a night shift, the two women had grown closer through their joint attacks on Vernon and had met to discuss future tactics.



Tonks started the conversation, "Hestia, why did you start on Dursley? I mean it's not like you to be vindictive and you don't really know Harry that well."



Hestia took a mouthful of her coffee, swallowed it, and sighed. "It goes back to when I was a firstie, I was sitting in a compartment of the Express, feeling sorry for myself, missing my mum, dad and my little brother, tears were starting to trickle down my cheeks when this beautiful red haired woman opened the door. It was Lily Evans on patrol as Head Girl, she took time to talk with me, and then took me down the train and introduced me to some other firsties. I was sorted into Ravenclaw and she was a Gryff, but all year she took time to speak to me, and even helped me with some of my studies. I owe her big time, that and my first year crush was her boyfriend, James Potter. He knew, but didn't tease me, or see me as a nuisance when I went over to speak to Lily, in fact he ended up calling me little sis. Why did you join me?"



"You know Sirius Black was Harry's Godfather?"



Hestia nodded.



"Well he was also my mum's cousin. When I was growing up he was the only member of the family who visited us. He was more like my cousin than my mum's. I always wanted a little brother or sister, but for some reason I was an only child. After Harry was born, Sirius used to take me to visit Lily and James, and when Harry was big enough to play on the floor, I played with him and read him stories. I sort of adopted him as my little brother. I was heartbroken when Lily and James died and Harry disappeared. I knew Sirius couldn't have done anything to harm them, but no one listens to a seven-year-old. I became an Auror to find proof of Sirius' innocence, and then last year I met Harry again. When I saw how his so-called family had treated him I decided that I'd make it up to him some day."



With that they got back to discussing the fall of Vernon Dursley.


Ministry of Magic: Youth Custody Department.


Dumbledore strode into the Youth Custody Wing of the Auror's holding cells like he owned the place. In his role as Head of the Wizengamot, he was entitled to inspect any Department within the Ministry of Magic although he rarely did. He normally left such menial tasks to others.



As he was trying to persuade the Custody Officer into letting him take personal custody of Draco No-Name he didn't notice the Janitor slip out.



Director of Law Enforcement Amelia Bones was disturbed from the paperwork she was perusing, by an interdepartmental memo that had just flown itself onto her desk. The gold coloured paper told her it was from her counterpart in the Department of Mysteries. Amelia was normally quite placid, but could go from witch to bitch in less time than it took to say it. Dumbledore was trying to free a Death Eater, a very junior one maybe but still a Death Eater.



She had never believed all the claims of /'I was under the Imperius,' /that so many had made after Voldemort had disappeared the first time. She had fought them too often and had seen the raw hatred in their eyes, not the dazed and confused look that someone under the Imperius had.



She made the trip down to the cells and stood quietly watching Dumbledore, her anger slowly growing as he tried to circumvent proper procedure.



"But Officer Crabtree, he is still a minor, I'll take him back to Hogwarts and ensure his safety there, he won't have access to a wand, I'll get Mr. Filch to train him as a caretaker."



"Professor Dumbledore" she said quietly, "Please come to my office."



He turned and shook his head at her.



"Okay, let me put it another way. Come to my office NOW!" she shouted the last word causing items on the desk to rattle as she thumped her hand down to emphasise her point.



Knowing he couldn't argue with her in front of her subordinates, Dumbledore reluctantly followed her out of the cell block.


Bones' Office.


As they entered her office Amelia Bones gestured to a seat and took her place behind her desk. She sent her secretary on a meaningless errand and cast a silencing charm on her room and then she started.



"What the hell do you think you were doing, Dumbledore," she started. "That young man has been found guilty of attempted murder due to the curse he used, he's not here for stealing apples. He was questioned under Veritaserum and confessed to having taken the Dark Mark willingly. He has also admitted that he was trying to murder Harry Potter and Hermione Granger. He was found guilty by a panel of Judges this morning, and he will be sentenced to Azkaban tomorrow, he will be given a life term."



"Amelia, I am distantly related to him, his grandfathers third cousin twice removed was my cousins aunties husbands grandmother, I wanted to claim custody and give him a family name again."



"Go ahead, Dumbledore, but he still goes to Azkaban for life. The only difference it makes is that as his Head of House you will have to pay the compensation awarded to Harry Potter, Hermione Granger, her parents, Jamie Henderson (the witch injured by falling masonry) and Gringotts. It comes to a total of around two hundred and fifty thousand Galleons. Of course there are several other claims for psychological trauma from those who witnessed the attack. Some of them are spurious but we think the claims that will be approved will be assessed at around three hundred thousand Galleons in total. Are you still willing to claim custody?"



"You do realise that the compensation claims are what is stopping anyone from offering Guardianship? You do know that once the compensation is paid that a closer relative can claim custody from you?"



"Em, er, I think I'll pass, see if anyone closer will take him into their family." Said Dumbledore as he visibly deflated, he had seen the public notice pertaining to Draco's trial but had only skimmed it as he had been too busy trying to find Potter. If only he'd thought about it sooner, he could have influenced the outcome. He would have to find another fool, er, student to manipulate. With a rather hurried goodbye he left the Ministry and headed back to Hogwarts.



Dumbledore's Office.



Dumbledore sat at his desk looking at the scrying instruments in front of him, they had been tuned to the charms he had cast on the Potter brat, now they were silent. He took out the School Roll and flicked it open at the page for the current members of Gryffindor House, he needed someone to spy on Potter for him.



He quickly dismissed the seventh years, they were loyal to their House and their former star Quidditch player, Potter's dorm mates were also out, if Weasley hadn't inherited from Sirius he might have been able to use him. Thomas was too busy chasing anything in a skirt, Finnegan was too interested in getting drunk and Longbottom was as loyal as a Hufflepuff.



The Gryffindor girls stood as one to protect each other's interests, any single male was fair game, but any male attached to one of them was protected by all, it was the first thing the Gryffindor first year girls were taught.



He looked down the list and there he was, Colin Creevey, the-boy-who-photographed. Creevey was perfect, he worshipped the ground that Potter walked on and had been known to take pictures of it, he wasn't too bright and was certainly naïve enough to accept anything his Headmaster said. His brother Denis could be used as well as he also worshipped Potter, now he only needed to work out how to get to them.



All this time Dumbledore wasn't aware he had been discussing his plans out loud and in front of the portraits of ex-Headmasters. One in particular had been taking great interest in the one-sided conversation, Phineas Nigellus. The portraits may be charmed to be loyal to the current Headmaster of Hogwarts, but as a Black, family came first and the Potter boy was now family.


Potter Manor.


Harry and Hermione had been released from their training schedule, the Unspeakables had passed them out as 'Probbies', they had two weeks left before school started and planned on spending as much time as they could relaxing at the house on St. Kitts. They had invited Ron and Ginny to join them, but as they now had spare cash the family had decided to visit Charlie at the Dragon sanctuary.



As they sat in the dining room having breakfast Hermione remembered that she hadn't been to inspect the books that Sirius had left her. Now this may sound strange, a book lover forgetting books, but she'd had so many other books to read due to her training, her new library had slipped her mind.



"Harry, we haven't been to Grimmauld to pick up my books, can we do it today?"



"Sure, we need to look the house over and decide what we're going to do with it anyway. There isn't a Potter house in London, so it might be worthwhile doing it up and keeping it on just for that reason alone."



"Yeah, good idea, lets take Ceri with us, he'll know what needs done."


12 Grimmauld Place.


Using the programmable Portkey, Harry, Hermione and Ceri arrived in the entrance hall of 12 Grimmauld Place, immediately Mrs. Black's portrait started screaming at Hermione. "FILTHY MUD" was as far as it got before Harry cast an /'Incendio' /at it, the paint started to burn, then the canvas and finally the frame. All that was left was a scorch mark on the wall.



The three companions walked round the building, even Harry felt a pang of sorrow when they found the shrivelled up corpse of Kreacher. On Harry's orders Kreacher was buried in the garden with the elf heads from the wall.



When Harry entered the room he and Ron had shared he was surprised to see Phineas Nigellus smiling down on him. Sirius had told him that Phineas had been the most hated of all Hogwarts' Headmasters, and from the little interaction he'd had with the portrait he could understand why.



"Well then, Potter," the portrait said. "Sirius made you his heir?"



"Yes, but I'd rather have him here than what he left me."



"I can understand that, but I've important information for you. Dumbledore is planning on using the Creeveys to spy on you, he is just trying to work out how to get them on his side."



"Thank you, but I thought the portraits in Dumbledore's office were charmed to be loyal to him?"



"Oh we are, but I am a Black, family loyalty comes first. Take this portrait with you to Hogwarts and I'll keep you informed of his schemes."



"Okay, but I'll shrink it to miniature size and Charm it so it looks like a portrait of Sirius, that should be enough to disguise it from prying eyes."



"Good thinking, Potter, are you sure you're not a Slytherin?"



"I could have been but for Narcissa's son and Dumbledore's manipulations, I just let that side out to play a bit more often now."



"Well done my boy, I'll see you at Hogwarts."



While the conversation had been going on, Ceri had summoned some of the Potter elves and they were busy surveying the house. It would take some work to clean the house, but thanks to Molly Weasley's efforts it wouldn't be too difficult.



When she entered the library Hermione's jaw dropped, it was huge. Unfortunately it was also dull, the last place that you would want to sit and read. There was also a bad atmosphere about it, she could feel the evil emanating from some of the books. She turned and left with Harry on her heels, pausing only to cast the strongest locking charm she knew on the door.



"Harry, can you get Bill Weasley to check the library before we go back in there? Something's just not right about it."



"Yeah, I now what you mean, I expected Madam Pince's evil twin to appear."



From downstairs they heard the 'pops' of people Apparating in, drawing their wands they crept downstairs only to see Professor Dumbledore and members of the Order of the Phoenix arrive.



"What are you doing here?" Harry and Dumbledore spoke as one.



"I own this house," stated Harry "What are you doing here?"



"Sirius granted us permission to use it" began Dumbledore.



"Sirius is dead" interjected Harry. "I am the owner and you don't have /my /permission to be here. Leave now before I send for the Aurors."



"The Aurors are here," growled Shacklebolt. "And we're not leaving for a little shit like you."



"We'll see about that" said Harry. "And that's Lord Little Shit to you, Shacklebolt"



Shacklebolt started to draw his wand, but before it cleared his holster he found himself flat on his back bleeding profusely from his nose. Harry had got him with a roundhouse kick. Arthur and Molly Weasley moved over to stand beside Harry as did Remus Lupin, Hestia Jones and Tonks. Moody stood beside Dumbledore as did Mundungus Fletcher and Professors Snape and McGonagall. Moody sent them hand signals to let them know he was keeping his cover.



Unseen by Dumbledore, Hermione had went into the kitchen and placed a voice call to the Aurors office asking them to attend an unlawful entry.



Several 'pops' later and four more Aurors had arrived. They separated the groups, one lot being taken to the kitchen and the rest to the sitting room.


The Kitchen.


After extricating himself from Molly's embrace, Harry called for Ceri and the house-elf supplied everyone with the beverage of his choice. Those in the sitting room were supplied with water.



One of the Aurors spoke. "Lord Potter, we meet again" Harry looked puzzled and then recognised him as the Auror who had arrested Malfoy. "Now what is the problem?"



Before Harry could speak Tonks spoke. "This used to be Sirius Black's house, he hid out here for the last year and allowed Dumbledore to use it as the Headquarters of the Order of the Phoenix. After Sirius' died Harry inherited it, Dumbledore said that Harry had given us permission to still use it. When we arrived today Harry was here and was shocked to see us."



"Words were exchanged between Lord Potter and Dumbledore and we were asked to leave. Dumbledore refused to leave and Lord Potter said he was going to call the Aurors. Shacklebolt insulted Lord Potter and started to draw his wand, Lord Potter disarmed him using a technique from Muggle Martial Arts, the group split into the two factions you see just before you arrived."



Everyone confirmed Tonks' tale.



The Sitting Room.



"What happened here?" asked Auror Smith.



Dumbledore spoke. "There has been a slight misunderstanding, the previous owner allowed us to use this house for meetings of our Magical Creatures Spotting Club. He must have forgotten to inform his Godson of the arrangement."



"Cut the crap, Dumbledore" Smith responded, "We know you lot are the Order of the Phoenix, why is Shacklebolt injured, and why did we get an emergency floo call from Lord Potters fiancée?"



Snape spoke. "Potter attacked Shacklebolt with for no reason, he's a hothead, always acts before thinking. Professor Dumbledore told us that he'd given permission for us to use the house."



"Bullshit!" growled Moody. "Shacklebolt misused his authority, then he insulted Potter. Potter beat him to the draw and kicked him, you arrived before anything else could happen."



"Thank you, Moody, that sounds more plausible than anything else I've heard. I'm going to speak to Lord Potter and my colleagues, stay put until I return, oh and somebody heal Shacklebolt's nose."



Before anyone else could intervene Moody cast the Healing spell, he didn't use the one that would mend a bone perfectly, but used the field version. Shacklebolt would have to put up with a crooked nose for the next six months until a Healer could safely re-break and reset it.


The Kitchen.


The Aurors discussed the interviews they had conducted and came to the same conclusion. Dumbledore had assumed that he could use the house and hadn't bothered to ask the new owner. Shacklebolt had acted in haste (again, they all knew his record) and had been bested by Lord Potter. All they needed to know now was what Potter wanted to do, so they asked him.



"I want Dumbledore and his cronies out, I'm not pressing any charges but they need to take anything they have here and leave."


The Sitting Room.


The four Aurors entered the sitting room and looked at Dumbledore and his companions. "Lord Potter has given you one hour to remove any items belonging to your club. After that if any of you remain in this house, you will be arrested for breaking and entering. If any of you return to this house without his permission, you will be arrested. If any of you don't agree to his terms you will be arrested."



An hour later Harry and Hermione sat at the kitchen table reading a note Moody had slipped to him.



'Potter, one of the Aurors said the floo call came from your fiancée, congratulations you sly bugger, but be careful, someone's going to tell the Prophet.'



Hermione's face fell, the Duty Operator had insisted on knowing her relationship to the owner of the property as per the rules of her office. Their secret was out.



Harry slipped his arm round her shoulder and pulled her in close. "Don't worry, babe, it was going to get out sooner or later, now we just have to be extra careful."



"Harry, what are you going to do about Colin and Denis?"



"We'll let them spy, we'll just make sure that any information they get is flawed. I would consider turning them and making them spy for us, but I don't think either of them would be a good double agent. If we out them as spies Dumbledore would find a way to put someone else in their place, we'll let him think the Creevey's are doing a good job."
Sign up to rate and review this story