Categories > Anime/Manga > Rurouni Kenshin > Rurouni Kenshin and the Lord of the Rings

Ch. 20: A city breach

by John_the_visionary 0 reviews

A legion of Orcs secretly break into Kyoto, taking the small forces placed inside the city by surprise...

Category: Rurouni Kenshin - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Crossover, Drama, Fantasy - Characters: Megumi, Soujiro - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2007-01-26 - Updated: 2007-01-26 - 2932 words

0Unrated




Chapter 20: A city breach, Pandemonium within Kyoto







The battle on the outskirts of Kyoto continued fiercely and violently with the Orcs launching their catapults upon the Men and Elves that were laying their lives to protect Kyoto. The Elves continued to fire their arrows at the Orcs as the Men of Japan continued to use the gattling guns to strike the Orcs down, one by one.



The Orcs staggered a little, but Dothmákh fiercely ordered, "don't move a muscle, you slugs!"



Unfortunately, for the Orcs, the Army began to bring out their cannons, which can fire a projectile much faster than their catapults could ever shoot at.



POW!




The cannons fired and landed within the ranks of the Orcs...



BOOM!




Very large explosions were made, as they each took out whole crowds of the Orcs. Now the Orcs were the ones who were trembling with fear as more of their kind was killed by the cannon balls. Even Dothmákh began to shudder in his purpose, but grimaced with anger and hatred towards their enemies, watching more of his troops getting killed by the cannons. The Cannons even destroyed many of the Orc's catapults with a single blast. The sheer might of the cannons seemed to be unmatchable to any primitive form of weaponry.





"It seems that the Orcs are no match for our weapons," Yamagata solemnly commented as the cannons continued to devastate the remnants of the Orcs.

"Do not underestimate the Armies of Mordor, Yamagata," said Glorfindel, "even though it appears that we have the advantage... there are more surprises ahead."

"Maybe so Glorfindel," Yamagata concurred, "and that's why we have to him them hard, with everything we have."









Meanwhile, in another part of the city...





A group of men, probably 200 police officers stood patiently, at the south entrance to Kyoto, towards the woods, armed with rifles, swords, gattling guns, and cannons, looking out for the strangest sign of the attackers...





ZIP!



An arrow suddenly zoomed out of the woods, hitting one of the police officers, square in the chest. The police gasped as more arrows shot out of the woods killing more of them.

"Fire men!" the leader cried out to his officers.



The police fired their gattling guns and rifles at the woods just in front of them. Fatal sounding screeches were heard from within the woods, as if many Orcs were seemingly gunned down by the police's machine guns. But they could not tell how many Orcs were in the forest. The police kept firing their guns for a long while. Then...





"Hold your fire!" the lead officer ordered as the police stopped their firing, "...be on your guard!"

Moments of silence passed as the men grasped their swords, ready to take the enemy head on. The leader cautiously took a few steps forward, trying to see if there was any sign of a surprise Orc attack. Suddenly...





GRRRRRLLLLL!!!!!






Growls were heard from inside the woods, loud enough to be heard by some of the men. The snarling made the men tremble in their boots... and their hands were shaking, while handling their guns and rifles...

Even the lead police officer had froze where he stood... as if he were unwitting prey that was just waiting to strike at for a ruthless, voracious predator. The officer slowly turned in both directions, to see where this hungry, growling killer would make his appearance...



Suddenly, the growls stopped... followed by a moment of long, eerie silence...







Then in a flash, a Warg swiftly shot out from the woods, taking the lead officer by surprise, pouncing upon him, and began to take a great bite out of him.



"AAARRGGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!" the lead officer screamed in anguish as the Warg slowly ate him, filling the police with fear and horror.

"Fire at will!" another officer ordered.



The police began to shoot their weapons... but were taken by surprise when a pack of Wargs jumped out of the forest, swiftly dodging the bullets of the gattling guns, pouncing upon the police and used them as food. The police began to retreat from their posts, seeing as they were outmatched by the sheer ferocity of the Wargs.

But as the police were running in fear...



A band of Berserker Uruks, armed with 7-foot long swords ambushed them from the sides, taking out a slew of police officers. And if that wasn't menacing enough...



A pack of Wild-hairy men, who looked rugged and primitive, viciously attacked the fleeing soldiers from the other side, killing many of the men.









It was also happening with a band of the Police and the Army at another entrance into the city, as a band of Uruk-Hai mercilessly slew the police, making short work of their modern weapons of warfare. The Police fought back with their sabers... but the sheer brute strength of the Uruks' heavy steel swords easily overcame the sabers. The Men of Japan had never known such brutality as the Uruks, for they had no fear of death and live to destroy men, no matter what world they were from... they were the perfect fighting machines, made by Saruman.

But they were not alone... as a battalion of Easterling soldiers, accompanied by the Haradrim, mounted on horses, were making their way through the chaos, assisting the Uruks to kill the men. The police and army of Japan had absolutely no chance against the diverse armies of the allies of Mordor. After they were done... the Uruks, Easterlings and Haradrim flowed horrendously into Kyoto.









Back at the main battle...



The cannons continued firing, destroying many more Orcs and Trolls, along with their catapults. The Elves continued to shoot their arrows as the Orcs shot their arrows at the Elves, killing each other, nearly at the same time...





SSSSSCCCCCCCCRREEEEEEEEECCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!






Suddenly, loud screeches, piercing the air fell upon the Men and Elves. The Ringwraiths, mounted upon the fell beasts, began their strike on Kyoto, as they swooped down upon the men, reaching out to them, with their claws and mouths bearing down on the Men and Elves. Some of the wraiths in the air were the wraiths that were converted by the Witch-King of Angmar, the Lord of the Nazgul himself. The rest of the wraiths were adorned in their black cloths, covering their horrid, faceless appearances. Leading the aerial assault... was the black captain, chosen by the Witch-King, to lead the Orcs to capture Kyoto.



Yamagata and Kawaji gasped in great horror at the appearance of the Fell beasts that were attacking their troops. The troops, stationed at the gattling guns and cannons, covered their ears, screaming in anguish, as they cowered before the screeches of the Ringwraiths, sprawling all over the ground. Like raptors, the fell beasts used their sharp, powerful claws to plow the firm ground that was made by the rain, scooping up and wrecking the advanced weaponry of Japan like they were pieces of tin.



Dothmákh laughed viciously as he saw the increasing devastation the Fell beasts made with the Army's weapons. It was as if the gattling guns and cannons were nothing compared to the wraiths, which sadly, they were. Not only that... but the beasts also used their sharp teeth to tear into the fresh meat of some of the men that were near the cannons and gattling guns, as the monsters used them as food.



"Don't falter men!" yelled Yamagata, "stand firm!"

"Umma ondea (/Don't succumb/)!" hollered Glorfindel to his company, "dagora sen! Dagora sen (/Fight them! Fight them!/)!"



Many of the men and Elves began to cower before the high-piercing screams of the wraiths. But there were a few of the defenders that could barely stand up to it, as a man, and an Elf, nearly next to each other, gathered their wits about them... and summoned all their strength to overcome the horrid screaming that was above them. Suddenly...





They saw a Fell beast baring down on them, extending its mouth to catch its prey. With their last vestige of will, the man, slowly lifted his rifle, and the Elf, slowly raising his bow, notched with an arrow, aimed at the winged terror together...





BANG!

ZIP!





And managed to wound the creature both in the wing and on its belly and the beast recoiled and flew away in defeat. After the beast was gone, the man and the Elf gazed at each other in approval... and nodded firmly, knowing that they've worked together to beat their enemy.


However... the beasts' were done with their destruction as they finished off the last remaining cannons and gattling guns that were on the front lines and flew away, leaving the alliance of Men and Elves in Japan at the mercy of the Orcs.



Dothmákh sneered as he cried out, "WARG RIDERS!"



A pack of Warg-riders rode out from the ranks of Orcs, running straight towards the defenders of Kyoto. There were hundreds... perhaps thousands of Wargs that were howling, growling, and barking as they approached closer to the defenders with rapacious, voracious appetites for the men and Elves, just like the Fell beasts once had.

Behind the Wargs...



Came a horde of battle-armored trolls armed with maces the size of a tree. The Wargs and Trolls ran swiftly toward the alliance of the Imperial Army and Galadhrim. The sheer numbers alone were too much for the Elves and Men, without the use of their cannons and gattling guns. The situation was becoming most dire indeed...





Then a battalion of riders, consisting of both Men and Elves countered the incoming fierceness of the Wargs and Trolls... armed with spears and swords and arrows. The riders rode fast toward the Wargs, clashing together in a titanic conflict, which was going to get bloody beyond any understanding.



"Hado i philinn (/Hurl the arrows/)!" Glorfindel ordered the Galadhrim, as they shot a massive volley at the Trolls, hitting them in the head, felling some of the beasts.



"CHARGE MEN!" Yamagata roared out... ordering a charge at the enemy head-on.

"HERIO!" Glorfindel roared out to the Galadhrim, to assist the Imperial Army.



The Men and Elves charged at the enemy full force with all their will and strength, holding their rifles and swords high in the air. Dothmákh cackled a vicious laugh seeing how futile it was for the Men and Elves to rush to their deaths...









The Orcs, Uruks, Wild Men, Easterlings, and Haradrim ran wild within the city of Kyoto, filling every street, carrying torches wherever they go. Some began to start fires, others just broke into every house and started tearing up everything in sight. But then...



The Police that were hidden deep within the streets began engaging the enemy head on, fighting with all their strength, and doing their best to hold back the enemy. The Wild Men, however, seemed to be more than a match for the Police and the civilians as the savage foes pranced upon the defenders with their bodies... and bashing their heads with their swords and clubs.



As the allies of Mordor went deeper into the city...



They came across a blockade of thatched wood with balls of straw and hay spread out across the road in front of them. And hiding behind the pile of wood... were a band of Samurai, 25 in number, armed with bows, sitting next to a fire that one of the Samurai tended to carefully. The Orcs and Easterlings thought that the piles of wood and balls of stray were nothing to be concerned about, and will just ignore them like stepping-stones. But little did they know... that one of the Samurai peered from a small parting within the wood, seeing the enemy approaching quickly.

The man turned to his company and gave a small nod. One of the men lit the tip of his arrow with fire, in which he notched onto his bow, ready to shoot...





The Orcs and Easterlings came closer... as the Samurai archer carefully set enough tension to the string to make it reach its target...



The Archer then shot his arrow... hitting the balls of straw...







FLAMMM!!!!




The straw suddenly exploded into a wall of flames... that took the Orcs and Easterlings by surprise as their legs caught on fire, sending them into disarray.





"Now!" cried out the lead Samurai...



And more arrows shot high in the air... and hit some of the Orcs and Easterlings. The enemy grew fearful again as they saw more arrows shoot into the air, and meeting their marks, as more of the Orcs and Easterlings fell dead.

Suddenly another volley of arrows, with fire burning on the tips had fired, and the vicious enemy began to recoil from the blockaded area, as if it was spitting out fire to smite them down.



"ATTACK!" the lead Samurai called out...





Then many of the Samurai, accompanied by Elves and a few of the Dunedain rangers, that were hidden within the buildings came out and engaged the enemy head on. Some Elves and Samurai appeared from atop the buildings, shooting their arrows at the enemy, felling many of them.

Despite how the defenders had the element of surprise upon the enemy... they were still outmatched by the overwhelming number of the Orcs and their allies. The Easterlings, having such resentment towards the Elves viciously attacked them with their spear-axes as the Elves struck back with their staff-like swords that were like rapiers.









The Wargs rampaged throughout another part of Kyoto as they entered through the south entrance. The merciless might of the creatures was too much for the police, as they were being mangled left and right. The Wild-men created ultimate havoc for the police as well, being primitive and savage.

However, there were many police and Samurai on top of horses that could easily overtake the enemy from the ground, as they rode fast, striking down any enemy within their sights. The horsemen were equally matched by the Warg-riders as the men sliced through the slobbering beasts and stabbed the Orcs riding on top of them. The Samurai also fired their arrows at the enemy as they charged onwards.









The Battle was continuing to be observed and heard from the Aoiya, where everything was still quiet thus far. Radagast, Sojiro, and Okina watched from the window, as they knew that the Orcs had already broken into the city from another entrance.



"Its bad, isn't it?" asked Sojiro, receiving a nod from Okina in return.



Halbarad had been standing guard at the door, with his sword ready, for he knew that he would soon do battle with the Army of Mordor. The ranger then looked down for a moment... seeing Ayame and Suzume cuddled within Megumi's arms, shivering slightly from the thought of an approaching battle.



Halbarad then went toward the children, sensing their fear and quietly asked, "how troubled are you, young ones?"

"...We're scared, sir," answered Ayame, as Halbarad patted her head gently.

"...Whenever I get scared sometimes," said Halbarad, giving the children advice, "I always usually sing a song to calm myself... to reassure my confidence to win the fight."

"That sounds like good advice, Mr. Halbarad," said Megumi, with a slight smile.

"Do you know any songs to pass the time, Megumi?" the ranger asked.

Megumi replied, "...I know of one. It may be suitable for this dark time. My father sang it to me once, before he went missing during the battle of Aizu. I still remember it, though... it was engraved into my heart and soul."

"Then sing it to us... Auntie Megumi," Suzume lightly requested of Megumi.

Megumi then began, in a sorrowful, yet light and graceful voice:







Yasashii te dane...

Anata ga itta...

Namida ga deta yo...

Totemo shizukani...






The fighting continued on the field outside Kyoto, as well as within the city, as more of the enemy overruns the defenders on every turn. As this was going on... Megumi continued to sing, compassionately, to the children...





Haru no sunakama...

Hiza de nemutta...

Anata no kami o sotto...

Yubi de suita toki...




Fui ni, subete ga...

Wakatta ki ga shita...



Kurushimi tachi ga sora e to...

Kaette yuku no deshita...





Anata no hoho ni...

Ochita shizuku wa...

Nami shibuki da to itta..

Mekakushi o shita yo...



Koko ni ite...

Koko ni... iru yo...








As Megumi finished her song... tears began to fill her eyes, as she remembered how her father, as well as the rest of her family... were hopelessly missing from the chaos of the Aizu War. And to her... this battle was just as chaotic, regardless of how it was significant to the secrecy of Frodo's quest... and she did not want to be missing, or presumed dead as her family was.

Ayame and Suzume looked upon their caretaker with remorse and compassion, as did Halbarad, for the Ranger had never heard a more compassionate song from this world, as he had from Megumi.

However... the female doctor's period of sorrow wouldn't last...





As Sojiro looked out from the window to his left... and saw a horde of Orcs, armed with torches, heading in their direction...











Disclaimer: The Lord of the Rings and RK are not mine. They belong to their authors, respectively J.R.R. Tolkien and Watsuki Nobuhiro. This fanfiction is created just for fun, not for any commercial purposes.



A/n: The song sang by Megumi was an ending song from the Kenshin OVA, Seisou Hen, or Samurai X: Reflections, as I remember it. I just hope you like it, in its Japanese glory, or what some people like to call it. But anyway, please read and review.












Sign up to rate and review this story