Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Heir of Blood

Revelations and Loyalties

by ShadeDancer 0 reviews

Chapter 1

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: R - Genres: Action/Adventure - Characters: Blaise Zabini, Harry - Warnings: [!!] [?] - Published: 2005-09-02 - Updated: 2005-09-03 - 3663 words

4Ambiance
Disclaimer: Alas, Harry Potter I do not own!

Harry was loping down a forest path on the back of Azrael when an owl swooped down upon him and released a letter into his care before careening wildly into a nearby tree.

"Errol" Harry sighed and reined Azrael in, thankful that his horse didn't spook easily "you would think the twins would try and snitch Hermes more often."

Sliding out of the saddle Harry awkwardly picked up Errol and draped the disheveled owl over the saddle before remounting and wheeling Azrael toward home. He wondered if Blaise was back yet, but doubted it; she probably wouldn't be back until around dinner time. Blaise and Trevor had gone to visit some distant relative leaving Harry lesson free for a few days, but it also meant he was without his best friend. His father was out that day as well, dealing with some business that he considered Harry to be too young to come along for.

So far summer had been great even though Trevor was making sure that they kept up with the basics of the muggle schooling they were missing out on as well as advancing them in their magical studies. Trevor had also mentioned teaching them to duel, but he wanted to build up their arsenal of spells first as well as wait for his friend, who was a dueling master, to come and help. Harry dismounted at the stable paddock and lifted Errol down before leaving Azrael for one of the hands to take care of; normally he would have groomed Azrael himself, but he really wanted to get the aged owl inside without too many seeing. In his room Harry laid Errol down on the bench under an open window and unrolled the parchment addressed to him.

Our Dear Harry, Mum is practically bursting to meet you and Blaise. Do grace us with your snakish presence this Saturday. Floo to The Burrow around noon and do bring your fathers. Gred and Forge.

Harry broached the letter at dinner, and to his and Blaise's delight they would be allowed to go and their dads were available to come as well. Harry jotted off a quick reply after dinner and sent it off with Trevor's owl, Hibou; Ciara was out hunting and Errol had left earlier after doing a bit of recovering. It would be interesting to see where the twins lived because it was an all wizarding home that they inhabited. Maybe the twins could come to their house sometime Harry thought later as he readied for bed. The mansion was a great place for pranks and it was more of a challenge to prank the alert guards, which made things more exciting; of course the twins would have to watch what they said about magic and the wizarding world.

~~ ~~ ~*~

Friday Harry spent under the strict tutelage of Sensei, working with practice swords. In this muggle age of guns swords really had no place, but Harry was proud to be learning the art of swordplay from Sensei. He also had a good idea that knowing how to sword fight would come in handy for when he was in the wizarding world seeing as how the wizarding world sometimes seemed closer to the middle ages than the modern twentieth century.

They also practiced the move Harry had tried on Blaise while at Hogwarts except they used a bar for Harry to work with instead of a person. Harry was currently running at the stationary bar set at around Blaise's shoulder height and grasped it while throwing himself up so that he flipped over the bar but did not let go. If Harry had been practicing on a person his momentum would have forced the person to bend backwards and hopefully fall as was intended; the problem was for Harry to make sure that he didn't go down with them, so he was trying to figure out how to time everything just right under Sensei's watchful gaze. It would have been a hell of a lot easier if he had someone to practice on since the bar was incapable of moving with him, but it also would have been a hell of a lot more painful for him and his partner.

~~ ~~ ~*~

The Leaky Cauldron was packed as the time neared noon, what with the lunch crowd bustling in from a day of shopping and all. Little kids could be heard exclaiming excitedly on what they had bought or were going to buy while witches and wizards stood around gossiping on the latest news and spells. Harry, Blaise, Trevor, and Manuel walked quickly through the pub, and the ensuing throng, towards the large fireplace in the back.

"Remember" Trevor instructed in a low voice "throw the powder down into the flames as you step into the fire before calling out 'The Burrow'. Keep your arms at your sides and hold still. Don't try and bend your knees or brace yourself for a fall because then you will fall. When you arrive merely step forward out of the fireplace and move aside, we'll go in two groups with a minute in between. Harry, you and Manuel will go first so that Blaise and I can follow if you mispronounce the destination."

Nodding in understanding Harry and Manuel exchanged glances and rolled their eyes. As if they hadn't understood the first time. But Trevor wasn't quite finished yet.

"Harry, watch your father as you travel. I don't know how floo might affect someone without active magic. Be ready to cast a flame freezing charm or a stupefy, and hold on to him. The travel lasts only moments so I don't expect any problems, but be alert."

Taking the offered Floo powder Harry tossed the sparkling green dust into the flames and pulled his dad in behind him while calling out "The Burrow" as clearly as he could; all the while trying not to choke on the ashes spinning around him along with the warm emerald flames.

Harry almost gave into the temptation to close his eyes to keep out the ash but resolutely kept watch over his father who seemed to be fine if not a bit nauseous, a feeling Harry identified with. Within seconds the travel was over though and the ground was firm and no longer seemed to be spinning beneath them. Quickly Manuel and Harry stepped out of the flames and away from the opening of the fireplace to allow Trevor and Blaise to come through, covertly scanning the room they had landed in for any danger as they moved. The room was safe even if the furniture was a bit well worn; but the atmosphere was cozy and invitingly lived in, allowing both Harry and Manuel to relax their alert stances just in time for the twins to come bounding happily into the room.

"It does seem that our guests" Fred began

"Have just stumbled through the floo" George picked up

"Absolutely spiffing to see you" they finished together as they exuberantly shook Manuel's hand then Trevor's after he came tumbling through the Floo with Blaise.

"Boys" came a sharp yet warm voice from the doorway to the room where a motherly looking woman was wiping her hands upon an apron "give them some space to move from the Floo now. I'm Molly Weasley and the twins are Fred and George, it's a pleasure to meet you."

Manuel inclined his head slightly and took over the introductions "the pleasure is ours. My name is Manuel and this is my son Harry, his friend Blaise, and her father Trevor."

"Well come into the kitchen then" Mrs. Weasley continued "and I'll introduce you to the rest of the family, though my two eldest sons won't be in till a bit later."

In the kitchen Manuel and Trevor found themselves being introduced to Percy who greeted them with a solemn air as if recognizing their power; Ron on the other hand merely gave a sullen hello before leaving the room. Ginny was last to be introduced and though she was slightly timid around Harry and Blaise they could see the slightly mischievous look in her eyes and the twins didn't mind all that much that she tagged along as they trooped down to the lower field to play a pick-up game of Quidditch, they didn't bother to ask Ron or Percy to play. They hadn't been playing long when Ginny spotted two figures coming up the road and the five broke off from the game to fly down and hover near the two eldest Weasley children.

Bill grinned and nudged Charlie as he saw five distant shapes heading towards them and Charlie shaded his eyes against the sun.

"There's the twins and Ginny" Charlie said "but who are the other two with them?"

Bill too shaded his eyes and froze in recognition, just managing to recover his cheerful expression before Charlie could notice; it was all over for him now. Bill could see the moment Harry and Blaise realized who he was and the implications it possibly held. Yet neither of them faltered and greeted him as if they had never met before; they weren't going to say anything yet, something which Bill was eternally grateful for. His family though he was a Curse Breaker for Gringotts, which was partially true as he occasionally freelanced for the Goblins, but it was all a cover. It appeared that he would have to face Manuel and Trevor later with some truths about himself. What Bill wasn't expecting to happen was to walk into the Burrow's kitchen to find Trevor sitting at the table talking with his father as if they had known each other for quite a while, Manuel was also sitting there and listening intently as he interjected a few occasional comments.

"Oh hello dears" Molly greeted her eldest sons and drawing attention to them "I see you've met Harry and Blaise. Arthur, this is Blaise Zabini, Trevor's daughter and Manuel's son Harry Potter."

Bill suddenly felt faint. Harry Potter and Harry Darkov were one in the same. Things had just become even more complicated and Bill could feel Manuel Darkov's assessing gaze trained steadily on him.

"Hello" Bill greeted faintly, hoping they would play along as he firmly shook their hands "it's a pleasure to meet you."



"And what is it that you do for a living" the abrupt question from Manuel startled Bill and he gazed up to see concealed amusement in the eyes of his boss.

For a moment Bill had the urge to call Manuel's bluff and admit to working for the mafia, but he couldn't drag his family into that and Manuel seemed willing to leave them out of everything; that was one good thing that could be said about Manuel Darkov, he didn't purposely go after innocents.

"I specialize in curse breaking for the Gringotts Goblins" Bill's voice was smooth as he answered with the cover story his family knew "I deal with curses and protection wards."

Manuel and Trevor asked him a few more questions about his work, though it was from general interest and not because they were trying to make him uncomfortable before they began asking Charlie about his work with dragons. Harry, Blaise, Fred, George, and Ginny had long ago moved apart and bent their heads together in such a way that suggested trouble. Those were two duos that you really didn't want to see working together, and now they had dragged Ginny in on their schemes. Apparently Manuel had also realized that something was up because he walked over to join the five schemers and before too long he had bent his head along with theirs, speaking to them quickly and in a voice too low for the others in the room to hear.

"Manuel" Trevor's voice held a sharp rebuke and a touch of exasperation "don't encourage them."

Manuel's look as he glanced at Trevor was one of innocence, but in his eyes was the light of mischief.

"I'm not encouraging them, I'm aiding and abetting. There is a difference."

Trevor groaned, eliciting a laugh from everyone else in the room, but let Manuel be. There wasn't much he could do about Manuel helping the children plot, except pull Blaise away, but he also knew what a big mistake that would be. Not only would Blaise be upset, but so would Harry, making him the number one target for any and all pranks until they calmed down long enough to let him off the hook.

Thankfully Mrs. Weasley choose to intervene then with a cheerful "lunch is ready in the garden, dears."

In no time at all the twins were on their feet and heading out to the garden with Harry, Blaise, and Ginny hot on their heels. The adults followed more slowly with Ron trailing behind them as he came out from wherever he had been sulking. It was quite obvious that the youngest male Weasley held no fondness for Harry and Blaise, both of whom seemed to return the sentiments. Lunch passed pleasantly with surprisingly no pranks being played, making most wonder what the five schemers had been discussing earlier; Manuel was remaining stubbornly silent on the whole affair. All too soon it was time for Manuel, Trevor, Harry, and Blaise to leave, disappointing the children.

But before flooing back to the Leaky Cauldron Manuel extended an invitation for the Weasley's to visit and perhaps take a trip to the amusement park sometime. Interest was sparked in the eyes of the Weasley family and they promised to keep in touch before the group flooed away to land amidst the bustle of the Leaky Cauldron, quickly moving through to the less populated London streets where the car was parked. It was time to head home, Manuel musing on the upcoming meeting with Bill that would be occurring that evening after dinner.

~~ ~~ ~*~

Bill sighed, thinking of the note that had been slipped to him earlier. It had been brief and unsigned, telling him only to meet in the office after dinner, but he had known what it was all about. Gathering up his Gryffindor courage Bill raised his hand and knocked politely on the closed study door in front of him.

"Come in" Bill heard Manuel command and he obeyed, his hand automatically turning the door handle to let himself in.

Closing the door behind him, Bill took the indicated seat in front of the desk and faced the others in the room. Behind the desk Harry sat on Manuel's right and Trevor to the left, Blaise proudly taking her place by her father. Bill wasn't sure if the presence of Harry and Blaise boded well for him or not.

"It seems that the guard we know as Bill Wesley is actually the wizard Bill Weasley" Manuel stated softly and Bill absently noticed that Trevor was putting up secrecy wards "I believe that you have an interesting story that we need to hear."

Bill nodded solemnly, he had expected that they would want to hear his story before anything else; if nothing else Manuel would be fair about this whole deal.

"I had just graduated from Hogwarts" Bill began "and was preparing to work for the Gringotts Goblins as a curse breaker when I was approached with a more intriguing offer. I spent the next year training as an Unspeakable and doing freelance work for Gringotts to keep my cover. After my training I was placed here as a guard to observe how the mafia operates, as well as to see if any of your technology could be magically enhanced for Unspeakable use. I was also to be on the look out for any magical objects that might pass through your organization and hopefully keep them from falling into the wrong hands. Until today I had no idea that you had any knowledge of the Wizarding world and that Harry Darkov and Harry Potter were one in the same. That is the truth of my story."

For a moment everyone sat there in silent contemplation before Manuel spoke up "I need a single, honest answer from you Bill and Trevor has appraised me of a potion that will ensure that you cannot lie to us. Will you willingly take the vertiserum?"

The tension in the four standing behind the desk escalated, this was the point where they knew Bill would either agree or try and fight his way free. Trevor had his wand hidden and at the ready in case Bill tried to use any magic against them, Blaise was ready to duck as ordered, Manuel had his gun hidden underneath the desk, and Harry was ready to use his wandless magic if his dad ordered him to. After discovering that Bill was a wizard Trevor had done some discreet searching and found out that Bill was only freelance for Gringotts and had surmised that he was a plant in the Darkov household, they just didn't know for whom, so the group had prepared for anything. As much as they had grown to like Bill he would not be allowed to leave the room if he was a threat.

"I'll willingly take the vertiserum. I have nothing to hide from you" Bill made his decision, causing the tension in the room to ease greatly.

Trevor walked to the other side of the desk, sheathing his wand as he went, and administered exactly three drops of the clear, odorless, and tasteless potion to Bill. Bill swallowed the vertiserum without protest, his eyes glazing over as his emotions were dulled and his will to fight the truth was suppressed. Gazing into Bill's eyes Trevor nodded that the potion was working and Manuel asked the one question that would decide Bill's fate.

"Where do your loyalties lie?"

The question echoed around in Bill's brain for a moment before he managed to wrap his drugged mind around what he was being asked.

"The Darkov family" his voice was emotionless as he answered, emotionless but truthful. Manuel and Trevor exchanged looks bordering on shock, there was the answer they had hoped for but had not thought to receive.

"Why" Trevor could not help but ask.

"Because I belong here" Bill's face was still emotionless, but Harry could swear that there was the slightest bit of joy in his voice "I was welcomed and accepted, and I have no problems trusting and following Manuel; I enjoy protecting the kids. I can no longer in good conscious follow the Unspeakables. I have come to realize that no matter how distant they are from the main branches of the Ministry they still do the Minister's dirty work, something I don't agree with."

Harry had one last question to ask.

"Does my being Harry Potter, the boy-who-lived, have anything to do with your loyalty to the Darkov clan?"

"No" Bill answered "my loyalty was true to the Darkov clan before I knew you as Harry Potter, the boy-who-lived."

No one had any more questions to add and a silent conference passed amongst them before Trevor administered the antidote for vertiserum to Bill. As Bill swallowed the antidote his eyes cleared and his will soon became his own again. The others remained silent, allowing Bill to recover from his disorientation before answering the unspoken question that hung silently in the air.

"We believe in your loyalty to the Darkov clan" Manuel told Bill before asking "so where are you going to go from here? You say your loyalties lie with the clan but yet it is clear you remain bound to these Unspeakables."

Bill took a thoughtful breath. He knew Manuel wasn't making him leave the guard, but he also knew that now that his secrets were out in the open he couldn't continue on the way he had and needed to find a way to reconcile his dual lives.

"I can't leave the Unspeakables" Bill stated "not without either forfeiting all my memories or signing my own death warrant. I would have to completely abandon the wizarding world, my family, if I did leave them and still expect to live as well as be able to remember everything. I also wouldn't be able to help Harry and Blaise should they need me when they are in the wizarding world. I could pretend to continue to spy for the Unspeakables, telling them only what you wish for me to, and then I could pass information from the Ministry back to you."

Manuel considered this for a moment "I accept your proposal, it will allow me to know what is happening in the Wizarding world and detect any threats that might rise up to threaten Harry and Blaise, but you must swear that if you think someone suspects you that you will inform me and pull out immediately."

Bill nodded in agreement, knowing how protective Manuel was of his guards even though they were the ones supposed to be keeping him safe "I swear it on my oath as a wizard and guard of the Darkov Clan."

~~ ~~ ~*~

After Bill and the children had left the office Manuel turned to Trevor with a thoughtful frown upon his face.

"It seems that we will need to make a sweep of the ranks to see how many know of the magical world" Manuel mused "is vertiserum harmful to those without magic."

"I don't think so" Trevor answered slowly "but I know someone I can ask. There is a spell I could cast but it will only tell us if a person is capable of performing magic, not if they've been trained in it or if they know of the magical world. We'll have to do some memory modifications as well."

"I don't really like this" Manuel sighed "but I'll do what is necessary to protect this family. Things have gotten so much more complicated now that magic is involved. How soon can we be ready to begin the inquisition?"
Sign up to rate and review this story