Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Harry Potter and the Lantrisi

A hero returns

by JohnDeath 3 reviews

The Second War is about to begin, with Voldemort gaining power, and the Ministry denying his return. Ron&Hermione are looked as the ones to destroy HIM, but no one saw the return of the Savior they...

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: R - Genres: Action/Adventure, Crossover, Fantasy, Sci-fi - Characters: Harry, Hermione - Warnings: [!!] [?] [V] - Published: 2007-02-08 - Updated: 2007-02-08 - 3037 words

5Original
Chapter 4: A hero returns
Chapter 4: A hero returns



The sun had begun to rise over the tall towers of Hogwarts castle, and Harry stood by the window, looking at the distant sunrise.

"No matter how many I see, I will never stop being amazed by seeing a sun rising. There is nothing that compares to it." He turned to Dumbledore.

"I must say, your story was very interesting. What do you plan to do, now that you're back here?" The old man asked.

"I don't know. I don't have any long term goals. I'd like to kill my parent's murderer, and I also want to learn more about magic, but other than that, I'll wait and see." Harry replied.

"Well, you could enter Hogwarts, I'm sure you'll have no problems catching up. You mentioned you can change shape? Could you change to yourself at fifteen?" Dumbledore looked at him.

Harry just grinned, and melted down to a teenager. Dumbledore was shocked that the uniform changed with him.

"You're wondering about the uniform? It's a part of me, it's not really fabric. I'm not actually wearing anything on me, well, apart from this bracelet." Harry grinned at the bewildered man.

"Incredible. So, what is that bracelet for?" He looked at the strange metal band.

"It's a restrainer. It limits my physical strength on human level. Without it, I could accidentally kill someone." Harry explained.

"I guess from your story that you have killed before? How many men have you killed?" Dumbledore asked reluctantly.

"By my hand or on my orders? Be more specific. I cannot be sure how many died on my orders, but I have personally killed one hundred sixty four men." Harry said calmly.

"That's a bit much, don't you think?" Dumbledore replied.

"Well, I was an assassin, you know. They were enemies of the Lantrisi, and I was ordered to kill them. Actually, most were guards that got in the way. It's as simple as that." Harry replied.

"Killing is never simple, Harry." Dumbledore said gravely.

"Maybe. I find it is best not to dwell on such things. What is done is done." Harry said in the same calm tone.

"I agree. Let's move on, shall we? From your story, I would say that you have at least basic knowledge of magic, but you'll have to learn a lot to catch up. If you wish, I can have Hagrid escort you to Diagon Alley to purchase anything you might need. I will give you a list of books that were assigned in the last few years, as well as the list for this year. Feel free to add anything you like to this. You'll have to talk to the goblins at Gringotts to get your vaults back, but it won't be a problem. I'm sure Hagrid can answer any questions you might have." Dumbledore said.

"Agreed. There are a few things that I'd like you to arrange. First, I'd like a separate room. There are a few things I'd rather keep a secret, like what I am. Also, I only need three hours of sleep, so it will be difficult sharing a dorm with humans. Now, I should go see Hagrid, right?" Harry asked.

"Yes. He should be in his hut. Anything else?" Dumbledore smiled.

"Could you make sure my trunk gets put in my new room? Just don't open it. A lot of stuff in it is very dangerous." Harry looked stern.

"Don't worry Harry. Oh, maybe you should change your clothes first?" Dumbledore pointed to the uniform he was wearing.

Harry nodded, and his clothes shifted to a pair of jeans and a plain white T-shirt. With a small nod, Harry turned to the door, and left the castle, glancing at the long list of books and items the Headmaster gave him.

He finally reached Hagrid's hut and knocked. A loud bark was heard, followed by an almost panicked whimpering. The door opened to reveal Hagrid.

"Ah, Harry, please, come in." The large man moved to let Harry in.

Hagrid's hut was just one huge room filled with all sorts of stuff, all of which were new to Harry. Then, he noticed the large dog huddled in the corner.

"Dunno what got into Fang, he's usually a lot more cheerful around new people." Hagrid looked worriedly at his dog.

"It's just me. Animals are deathly afraid from my kind. He'll be fine once I leave." Harry told him.

"What do you mean your kind?" Hagrid asked him.

"It's a long story. Anyway, Dumbledore said you could take me to Diagon Alley. Maybe I could tell you on the way?" Harry replied.

"Sure. We can floo from Hogsmeade." Hagrid picked up a huge fur coat, and led Harry towards the village of Hogsmeade, while Harry told him a bit about himself.

"That's quite the story, Harry. Ah, here we are, the Three Broomsticks. We can use the floo here." Hagrid pointed to the nearby pub.

They walked in, and were quickly greeted by a nice looking woman.

"Hi there, Hagrid. Bit early today, aren't you? The usual?" She turned to the large man.

"No, thanks, Rosmerta, we're just here to use the floo." He told her. She nodded, and returned back to the bar.

The pair moved to the fireplace, and Hagrid took a small pot full of powder from the mantle.

"Alright, Harry, what you do is take some powder and throw it in the fire. Once it turns green, walk in and say clearly 'Diagon Alley'. And stay perfectly still until you arrive." Hagrid handed him the pot, and Harry did as he was told, disappearing in a roar of emerald flames. He arrived in a cobbled street filled with all sorts of shops, and he was still staring when Hagrid arrived.

"Alright there, Harry? How come on, first stop is Gringotts." He led Harry to a huge marble building.

Once inside, they quickly approached a free goblin. Harry noticed that like most other creatures, the goblins seemed to be afraid of him.

"Good morning, I'd like to access my vaults." Harry said politely, but firmly.

"Your name please." The goblin replied.

"Harry Potter." The goblin looked shocked at this, but recovered quickly.

"I'm afraid you'll have to prove that claim. Follow me." The goblin left his counter, and led them through several corridors until they reached an office labeled 'Inheritance'. The goblin led them in, and they walked in a large office where a very old goblin sat. The goblin that led them approached him, and spent several minutes talking to him, before leaving.

"Well, Mr. Potter, this is quite the surprise. We certainly didn't expect you to show up. But, time is money, so, let's proceed, shall we? Please put three drops of blood on this parchment, please." The goblin handed him a plain sheet of parchment.

"What happens to the blood?" Harry looked cautiously, knowing full well the properties of his blood.

"It is absorbed in the parchment, and it is destroyed once you leave. A transcript is made for our records." The goblin sounded reassuring.

Harry nodded, and pulled out a rather lethal looking dagger, and slashed open his palm. He let three drops fall on the parchment, before he moved his palm away and returned the blade to its hidden sheath.

Both Hagrid and the goblin looked shocked at the boy who just cut his palm without as much as a wince. Further more, his hand looked just as new, without so much as a scar.

Finally, the goblin recovered enough to read the parchment.

"Ah, here we go. Name, Harry James Potter, age, five hundred eighty seven?" He looked at Harry with a puzzled look.

"It's a long story. I trust this is a confidential meeting?" Seeing the goblin nod, Harry simply opened his mouth. The goblin was about to speak, when he noticed the pair of fangs becoming longer and longer, making the boy look like a cobra. Harry sat like that for a few moments, before he retracted them.

"That and a bit of inter-dimensional traveling. That's all you need to know." Harry answered the shocked goblin.

"Very well. You're certainly who you say you are, and you're more than old enough to access all your vaults. That's all the bank needs to know Mr. Potter. We take great pride in our security and confidentiality." The goblin handed him a keychain with three keys.

"That's good to know. Do you have any methods of accessing my money without going to the vault?" Harry asked.

"Of course, sir. We have an enchanted credit card that works in both the magical and muggle world. I would still recommend that you get some money; there are a few shops that don't have this system yet." The goblin answered, before continuing.

"If you return to the lobby, an employee will be waiting to take you to one of your vaults. Your card will be ready when you return to the lobby." With that, Harry and Hagrid left for the lobby, where Harry was led to the carts that took you to the vaults, while Hagrid stayed behind, saying he hated the cart rides.

When they left the bank, Harry had his new card in his pocket, and a full sack of money tied to his belt.

After buying over four hundred books in the bookstore and leaving a drooling clerk behind, they walked in the apothecary where Harry bought ample supplies of everything he would need at school.

Skipping the clothes shops, Hagrid led him to Ollivanders, as Harry decided to get himself a new wand. His metalite wand was impractical with his strength restrained, and Harry didn't want to be held responsible for any damage caused by the little 'extra' arkanium in his wand. It was a wand made for combat, not study.

They were greeted by a very strange looking man, and even with all his training, Harry felt slight shivers going down his spine.

"Ah, Mr. Potter, I really expected you four years ago. But, better late then never, eh? Let's get you a wand then, shall we? Which is your wand hand?" The man asked.

"Both." Harry replied shortly as a tape measure began snaking all over him, finally stopping at its owner's command.

"Well, here, take this, maple and dragon heartstring, good for charms, ah, no, well, this one, willow and phoenix feather, good for defense, hmm, not quite..." This continued for over twenty minutes, until Ollivander gave him a new wand. The moment Harry touched it; he knew it was the one.

"Interesting choice, Mr. Potter. Holly and phoenix feather, it's a very powerful wand. It's a surprise though that it would be you to get this wand, when its brother gave you your scar." Ollivander said silently.

"Voldemort has the same core?" Harry asked.

"Yes, he does. Yew and a feather from the same phoenix. A very powerful wand, and if I knew what it would do... But, I am sure we can expect great things from you, Mr. Potter." With that, Harry paid for his wand, and left the shop.

"Well, that's all Harry, we should get back." Hagrid watched Harry slip the wand in a holster he bought for it.

"Not yet, Hagrid. There are still a few things I want to get." With that, Harry turned down an alley marked Knockturn Alley, but was stopped by Hagrid almost immediately.

"Harry, what could you possibly want to get down here? We should go; it's not safe to stay here." The large man warned him.

"Hagrid, I am far more dangerous than anything that is down here. Besides, I'm not leaving until I get what I need." With that, Harry walked towards a dusty stop that was marked as a bookstore. By the time Hagrid got in, Harry already had a mound of books, and was haggling over the price. Eventually, Harry got angry and with a fluid motion, had a dagger pressed at the man's throat.

"You will take two hundred and like it. I'm overpaying you, but I fell generous. Don't make me regret it." The man nodded slightly, and Harry returned the dagger to its sheath, then counted two hundred gold coins to the owner. With that, he waved his wand over the large stack, and shrunk them, then gathered them in a leather pouch.

"Now we can go." Harry turned to Hagrid who silently followed him.

"Why did you threaten that man Harry?" Hagrid couldn't help himself.

"He was too stupid and greedy. I buy over a hundred books, not to mention most of them are probably illegal, and he had the gall to ask eight hundred. I finally managed to get to three hundred, but I still felt like I was being scammed. And I don't like that feeling." Harry grinned wickedly.

"What did you mean illegal books?" Hagrid wasn't sure he wanted to know.

"Oh, some silly things about the spells being Dark, or something like that." Harry waved his hand airily.

"Harry, those books are illegal for a reason. They're use is dangerous..." Hagrid tried to lecture him, but was silenced by Harry's glare.

"I don't want to sound rude, but save your preaches for the human children you teach. I am not a fool, Hagrid. Magic is a weapon, and it is to be treated as one, with care, respect and caution. But if you don't know everything about that weapon, then how can you hope to wield it properly?" Harry snapped back, and the rest of the trip back to Hogwarts passed in silence.

"Hagrid, thanks for showing me around. And sorry for snapping at you." Harry smiled at the large man.

"Nothing to be sorry about Harry. I was just surprised, that's all. What you said made some sense." Hagrid replied.

"I'll be getting back to the castle, then. I could use some sleep, and I am getting a little thirsty." Harry grinned at that.

"You're not going to bite anyone, will you?" Hagrid asked uncomfortably.

"I haven't bitten a man in my life. I have a much better way. From what I know, it tastes better, too. It's still disgusting though." Harry grinned again, before turning to the large castle.

Recalling the route from yesterday, he finally managed to get to the Headmaster's office, and was glad the password was the same. He was surprised however, when he caught the scent of a second human. He knocked in, and after a short 'Enter,' he walked in to see the headmaster talking to a tall man dressed in black robes and long, somewhat greasy hair.

"Ah, Harry, I hope you got everything you needed?" Dumbledore greeted him.

"Yes, I have. Pardon me, I don't believe we have met. Harry Potter." He extended his hand to the unknown man, who looked at him in shock, before changing his face in hidden revulsion.

"Professor Severus Snape." The man replied coldly.

"Oh? What subject do you teach, Professor?" Harry asked curiously.

"I teach Potions, Mr. Potter. I guess I'll be seeing you in my class this year?" His gaze was turned more to Dumbledore at this.

"That's right. I find the subject very interesting, but I've had little chance to study it. I hope you will be able to provide some private tutoring, perhaps before the term starts? I am willing to compensate you for your time." Harry said calmly.

"I might find the time. I should warn you though, I don't waste my time on those who have no talent." Snape replied in the same icy tone.

"Well, if I have no talent, I won't waste any more of your time then necessary. Perhaps we could speak again over breakfast? I've had a long day." Harry asked.

"Until then, Mr. Potter. Headmaster." Snape nodded at both of them, and left quickly.

"Well, you handled that pretty well, Harry. I should warn you about Severus though. He and your father didn't get along so well, you see, and it is possible that some of his animosity could turn to you. He is also one of Voldemort's men." Harry snapped up at this.

"Don't worry, he is not loyal, he is my spy in his ranks." Dumbledore assured him.

"I'll take your word for it. For now." Harry said coldly.

"Now, where are my rooms? I have a few books I want to read, and I need to have a drink." Harry said with a smile.

"I see. Then please, follow me." Dumbledore led him out to a corridor on the fourth floor.

"This is where the guest chambers are, Harry. They're rarely used, so I see no reason not to give you one for the duration of your stay here. I hope you don't mind, I already chose a password. Daroth." He said the last to the portrait of man reading a large tome. The man nodded, and swung to the side, revealing a doorway behind him. The room was well furnished, with a huge four poster bed, and an intricately carved wooden desk, wardrobe and dresser. He noticed his trunk was already placed at the base of his bed.

"It's nice. Bit more than I'm used to though." Harry grinned at the thought of his room in the Order. It was slightly bigger than a prison cell, and it had a pull out bed with no mattress or pillow, and a simple desk with a working terminal built into it.

"Well, I'll see you at breakfast then. If you need directions, ask the portraits. Good night." Dumbledore bowed slightly, and left.

Once he left, Harry moved to his trunk, and opened it. Satisfied that no one had tried to open it, he pulled out one of the feeding units, flipped the cap open, and began drinking. Lord Deathhand was right. You never really got used to the taste.

After he felt full, he returned it to the trunk, and pulled out the various books he got in Diagon Alley, and began arranging them in the three large bookcases in his new room. Once he got all of them sorted to his liking, he pulled out several, and began reading about his world.


Sign up to rate and review this story