Categories > Original > Fantasy > Age of Psychics

Episode One: The Awakening

by Nessrox444 4 reviews

Meet the main character of this story. He just awoke from a coma and has no idea who he is. Now he must learn about his identity in a world full of psychics, warlords, and the evils from his past.

Category: Fantasy - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama, Fantasy, Sci-fi - Published: 2007-02-03 - Updated: 2007-02-04 - 3090 words

1Exciting
Disclaimer: I created all these characters, the plot, the setting, the story, everything about this story short of the English language was created by me. Never use this story/idea and
claim it as your own. Enjoy!

I'm going to keep writing these stories regardless but I would appreciate feedback on if you like the story and how I can improve it. Please send me feedback.
__________________________________________________________________

Episode One: The Awakening

__________________________________________________________________

"Explain to me again why we kept him here?" a voice said.

"Because I'm in charge," another voice responded.

"No, I mean specifically. Why are we still keeping him on life support?" the voice said, annoyed.

"Well, think about what we could learn about psychics from this one. You saw his chart didn't you? His psychic readings are like nothing we've ever seen before. If he ever wakes up we'll be able to run more efficient tests on him. We may even figure out how psychics came to be! That is why he is to be kept on life support, so we can learn more about psychics." The other voice responded.

"It's been three and a half years," the voice argued. "I highly doubt he's going to be waking up any time soon."

"Even so," the voice snapped back, "he still has a chance to reawaken and if he does, we'll be ready." Suddenly a loud beeping noise filled the room. "Oh damn!" the voice exclaimed. "Come on we're needed. A psychic is causing the police trouble. We need to contact Wind Man," the voice said running out the door. The other person ran out the door as well, obviously important. If only they had waited another minute they would have seen it happening. Suddenly the man awoke. He opened his eyes, not knowing what was going on; he frantically tried to remember where he was... or who he was for that matter... but to no avail. He got up out of bed, pulling the life support machine to the floor. The machine made a loud thud as it hit the floor, alerting staff members of the building. A dark skinned woman ran into the room to find out what was going on. The man, in a panic, leapt out the nearest window to the ground below. The woman froze in her tracks. Had all of her efforts been in vain? Surely the man would have died from the four story drop, not to mention the glass that no doubt lacerated him severely. She ran to the window, praying he wasn't dead. To her surprise, he wasn't. The man had several cuts but seemed just fine. The man got up and ran away.

"What just happened?" a woman who just ran into the room asked, confused.

The other woman turned away from the window and smiled. "Didn't I tell you he could wake up at any time?" she said merrily. "Tell Wind Man to go after him." Her smile changed into a frown. "That man is too important to let go."

"Wind Hero man is dealing with a psychic downtown but I'll notify him," the woman said, rushing out of the room.

"Okay... I guess I'll just take a little breather," the other woman said to no one in particular. She collapsed on the bed.

Meanwhile downtown, six men managed to get the police on the run. "We've got them now!" The leader exclaimed. "Now there's just one more nuisance we have to take care of." Just then a man landed behind the thugs. "Well, speak of the devil, we were just talking about you Wind Man," he said, confident of his victory.

"Stop you fiends!" Wind Man yelled out defiantly. Wind Man was truly the living embodiment of a child's cartoon superhero. He wore blue spandex "armor" as he called it. He had two utility belts filled with nothing in particular and a pair of large, green rubber boots, for the same reason he had the spandex. His hair was gelled and parted. He was saluting in his "HERO POSE!" In fact, he had everything a cartoon hero needed, short of a cape and underwear on the outside. His clothing, combined with the earlier "stop you fiends" caused the gang to break out in laughter.

"Hahaha! THIS is the city's hero?" the gang leader said through bursts of laughter. Suddenly he stopped laughing and took a more serious tone. "Kill him you idiots!" the gang leader barked. They tried to comply. One of the gang members ran at Wind Man with a bat. He swung... and missed. Wind Man ducked as the gang member clumsily swung the bat over his head. It was his turn now, Wind Man thought. He thrust his fist forward and a gust of wind blew the gang member back into a wall, knocking him unconscious.

"What do we do, Boss? Our bats don't do nothin' to him," one of the gang members asked, now scared.

"Do you idiots ever think before you talk? I gave you guns! USE THEM!" The Boss yelled at them, his face beginning to redden. The remaining four gang members pulled out their guns and fired at Wind Man. Wind Man moved his arms around, creating a shield from the wind. The bullets started dancing around in front of Wind Man, harmless. The gang members inevitably ran out of bullets, and in one swift movement, Wind Man made an air current that delivered all the wasted bullets at the gang member's feet. The gang members looked at each other and attempted to flee; alas, they could not. Wind Man took a step forward and fired a wide blast of wind at them. All the members, save for the boss, collided with the wall the previous member hit; knocking them all unconscious.

"I'm impressed" the leader said with a smirk on his face. "Then again, I've seen better." He paused and smiled at him. Wind Man didn't respond. "Fine then, I'll show you what I mean!" The leader yelled.

During this time, the man with no identity continued running. He didn't know where to run, but he knew that people in navy uniforms and weapons were after him. He didn't know what he did either; he ran into one earlier and he yelled at him to stop. Then the man in navy pulled out a stick-like weapon and tried to hit him with it. With no time to react, he dodged the man's weapon and then punched him as hard as he could in the stomach. After that, all he knew was that the navy man had friends and they now had loud noise-making weapons, which he assumed were worse than the stick. He was getting tired and decided to take a rest in a more secluded alley. He stopped by a trash can and tried to remember. He started concentrating, trying to remember who and where he was. Nothing. All he could think about was that weapon the man almost hit him with. Damnit, he thought to himself. Just then a few navy blue people walked in the alley he was in.

"Freeze!" one of them yelled.

The man didn't listen. He ran for the gate at the far end of the alley, barely avoiding the bullets that followed him. He opened the wooden fence's gate and quickly closed it to avoid the charging bullets. He knew that these people would keep following him, so he ran a few buildings down to a place that looked empty. He opened a window of the building and crept in, making sure not to leave anything behind that they could use to find him. Inside, he found racks of clothing. The man walked up to a mirror and for the first time, saw what he looked like. He had fair skin and brown hair that was trimmed and somewhat spiked up. He also noticed his almost- glowing blue eyes. What surprised him the most was what he was wearing. It was a robe that for some reason, he hadn't noticed until now. The robe was black with two small lines of blue going down on either side of the center. In the middle of the chest and stomach, there was an odd symbol. He also noticed the fact that the robe was cut up and charred in some places.

"Why the hell am I wearing this?" he asked himself. He looked at the symbol a little longer and suddenly had a flashback. A black silhouette of himself with a blue outline appeared. His eyes were blue for no reason in particular. His hands were outstretched in front of his body. His thumbs touched, and his index fingers touched, forming a triangle with his fingers. The rest of his fingers were pointed up but didn't have a particular use. Suddenly his robe started to move as if there was a sudden gust of wind. A blue flame appeared in the triangle, then another, and another still. Then he resumed a normal position as the blue flames floated around him. The man snapped out of it. He put his hands together like the image did. Nothing happened. He started focusing on it, focusing whatever energy he had, all of it, towards the creation of the flames. Just when he was about to give up, a flame appeared! The flame drifted out of the triangle and suddenly whizzed past him. While this was happening, another flame shot out, followed by the third. They all flew around behind him, as if they were balloons filled with helium, attached to a string, wanting to escape but unable to do so. He had no idea what their purpose was, so he decided to put it out of his head and change his clothes. He took the robe off and threw it on the floor, after that he grabbed a bunch of random clothes from the racks. When he was done he had a hoodie, jeans, and shoes. The shoes were strange to him but he noticed others wore them so he would have to as well. His eye caught the back of his robe and revealed a name. -L-S-K it read. Suddenly he remembered who he was.

Meanwhile, the gang leader activated his psychic powers. "Prepare to die" he said with a grin. The man's right arm started to glow brighter and brighter. Then an arm popped out. It was all white and wasn't connected to his body. "Now... DIE!" he shouted. He threw his physical right arm forward, and the white arm flew towards Wind Man. Wind Man put his index and middle finger together, perpendicular to the ground; then he lifted his arm in the air and brought it down as hard as he could. The idea was to create a blade of wind and cut the monstrous arm in half. This didn't go as planned, however, and the blade simply passed through the arm. He didn't even have time to question what had happened; the arm punched him in the chest. Wind Man collapsed to the ground. "Like it? You can't damage this arm; it's a spirit, " he said approaching Wind Man. Wind Man couldn't respond. His mouth started to fill with blood. "Oh, I see it's starting to affect you. That would be my arm; it must've hit an organ; that's its special ability. I'll allow you to know my name before you die. My name is Alex." He began to laugh. He raised his physical arm up in the air ready for the kill, until he saw the communication device (com-link) in Wind Man's ear. Alex grabbed the piece out of Wind Man's ear.

"Wind Man, are you there? Quit messing around with that gang! The police think that other psychic is a threat and if you don't get there first they might kill him, or he might kill them.... Wind Man!!! Are you there?!?!" a voice said over a com-link in Wind Man's ear.

"Another psychic? Sounds pretty special too. Perhaps he can be useful to me," Alex said to himself. In his haste to make a new ally, he forgot to kill Wind Man.

"Talsk," he said to himself "my name is Talsk," he continued saying. He said it to himself at least ten more times before deciding to stop. The blue flames still hung overhead, drifting around, completely useless to him. Then he heard voices, and then a loud speaker came on.

"Come out, we have you surrounded." The voice boomed through the loud speaker. "Drop any weapons you may have and disable whatever power you possess. You have 30 seconds to comply." The officers really hadn't surrounded the building, but they were prepared to move in. Every 5 seconds the officer on the mega phone would yell how many seconds are left, which only increased the tension. "You have five seconds" said the voice now, obviously irritated. "Move in, he's not coming out," an officer told another officer. Just as they were preparing to enter, a man shot at the cop, hitting him in the knee. "FUCK!" he yelled as he hit the floor. All the other officers stopped and turned to face their new enemy.

"I'm sorry did I break your concentration?" the man said with a smirk. "Those not smart enough to run will die!" he shouted. Of course none of them ran. "So be it," he said. His right arm began to glow, and after a few seconds a white arm came out of his arm. He thrust his arm forward, sending the white arm into one of the officers. The other officers opened fire but the man was too quick. He jumped out of the way and threw his arm right, left, right all over the place. Each time he managed to avoid the oncoming bullets, and each time he managed to land a hit, injuring or killing an officer. When all the officers were dead or injured he called out, "Psychic, I've come to save you. Come out." He switched to a soft, passive voice. "I don't want to hurt you." Talsk did just that; he came outside to see who had helped him. Alex was amazed; this was the all-so-important psychic? He thought, perhaps those flames do something powerful and that's why the police hunted him.

"Don't listen to him!" A voice yelled. Talsk looked to see who it was. It was some messed up guy in spandex. Even I know that's out of style, and I hardly remember anything, Talsk thought.

"Oh, that's right, I forgot to kill you. Sorry it just slipped my mind," Alex said as he thrust his arm forward. This time Wind Man was ready. He jumped out of the way and fired a gust of wind at Alex. It was cooler than the rest of the air and strangely, trace amounts of psychic energy were in it, enabling him to see it. This didn't help him, however. The few seconds he saw it weren't enough to get out of the way and the next thing he knew, he was flying backwards. Alex wasn't like the other gang members. He managed to catch himself right before he hit the ground. As soon as he flipped and landed on his feet, he sent his arm out, almost hitting Wind Man in the side of the head. Wind Man saw it coming and tried to block it with his left arm. This led to his defeat. His arm started to swell and bleed. He fell to the ground bleeding immensely. "How do you like me now? I admit you've gotten better. It's a shame you're going to die now, and you could've actually made an interesting challenge if we had another fight. Oh well, I suppose there's no point in saying such things now. DIE!"

"NO!" Talsk yelled. During the course of the fight, Talsk figured out a purpose for his flames, and he remembered some sort of morale obligation he had in his life before he lost his memory.

"Oh, so you're going to stop me? How pathetic. I guess I'll take care of you first!" he yelled while thrusting his arm forward.

"This ends now!" Talsk said, transformed from a coward without a memory to a warrior. Suddenly the flames floating behind him came forward and stacked on top of each other. They quickly stretched into a pole-like weapon out of pure, blue flames.

"You think you can stop me!?!" Alex said disgusted. Talsk raised the flaming pole over his head and swung down into the arm. The arm was cut in half and disappeared. Alex's right arm turned black and went limp. "What... WHAT THE HELL DID YOU DO TO MY ARM?!?! YOU BASTARD! I'LL KILL YOU!" he yelled in anger. Alex pulled out a gun and aimed it at Talsk. "BASTARD!" he yelled out. His gun fell to pieces before he could fire. "What?!?"

"I never said we were done!" Wind Man yelled as he kicked Alex in the face, knocking him out. Talsk began to walk off in a direction that would lead him out of the city. Wind Man wanted to stop him, but got a message through the com-link.

"Don't go after him just yet, you're wounded. Besides this can give him time to remember his past some more. Just clean up the mess Alex made and report back here," The voice on the other end told him.

As Talsk left the city, two ominous figures loomed on the roofs above.

"Interesting, his energy is different. Contact Kane immediately, he's going to want to hear about this one." one told the other.

"Of... course..." the other one responded, then disappeared.

"Different indeed..." the remaining one said before departing.

__________________________________________________________________

Ending comments: Thanks for reading I hope you enjoyed Episode one of my story :P. Anyway I plan on writing more soon as well as making at least 2 other series so be sure to keep reading. Please leave reviews and feel free to e-mail me at Nessrox444@hotmail.com with comments about the story. Thanks and keep reading

Special thanks to: Adrian H. Grepe for helping me come up with names as well as minor editing, and Jordan Brown for help on character appearances. Averill helped with major editing.

Normal common-run-of-the-mill thanks to: Jordan Brown, Adrian H. Grepe, Mrs. Averill, my mom or dad, and Rayyan Kamal for providing feedback on my first draft.

If there are any misspellings or errors, tell me so I can edit them out in the future, don't forget to LEAVE COMMENTS. :-D
Sign up to rate and review this story