Categories > Original > Humor > War Of The Words

Of Radishes And 'Foriners'

by WinglessFlight 0 reviews

Blue and Felix land in the Land of Verse and, with their friends Juila and Architur, find themselves caught up in the struggle with the ever-present Haikus. In a country dominated by poetry, the od...

Category: Humor - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Humor - Published: 2007-02-11 - Updated: 2007-02-11 - 967 words

0Unrated
Of Radishes And 'Foriners'

You could feel it in the air - an aura of danger was slowly beginning to surround the city. The citizens subconsciously began walking faster, voices became lower and swifter, children were held tightly by the hand. There was going to be another bomb. Everyone knew that. It was the when and where that were the problems.

Juila Fi was running late. It was getting dark, she had dinner to make, and she hadn't yet bought it. Not to mention that her three children were driving her to the point of no return. She shepherded them into the grocery store and, brushing her hair out of her face with a defeated motion, approached the counter.

'Radishes, rolls and a packet of chops
For I haven't time for other shops.'

Architur Tyo smiled a gentle smile.

'Right away, Mrs F, my dear
I shall not let you wait
Have you slept a single wink this year
For you never run late?
I can't say I'm not worried, love
These days you're just so tired
If I can give you help thereof...
It seems to be required.'

Juila cracked a grin.

'I'll be fine,
Never you mind'

He raised an eyebrow and wordlessly handed her the bag and her bill. She handed over a handful of coins.

'You can put the change
To the stock exchange.'

He smiled at the same little joke she told every time she came in, and walked her to the door with her children.

'Watch your step:
Them men are out.
It ain't safe for little ladies
To be wandering about.'

She rolled her eyes.

'We'll be safe on the bus,
And don't you fuss.'

She gathered up her children and left.

The sky overhead was a murky grey, darkening by the minute. Archie looked out of his window, watching the retreating backs of Juila and her triplets. Mrs. F was a nice lady, he thought to himself, and I love them babies. He almost laughed to himself - realizing that he'd even begun to pick up her speech patterns. His mother was wrong - not all foreigners were bad news.

'Cat,
stop that.
Hurry up, Joe
Don't watch the grass grow
And Max,
We need to make tracks.'

Hearing their mother's rhyme become all the more forced, the children ran onwards. It was common knowledge that all Plets had filthy tempers, and each one of the Fi's had been on the receiving end of their mother's.

Please wait here
And commit no crime
There's no need to fear
This bus is always on time

Juila grimaced. A few months before the sign on the bus stop had been much simpler - a cautious reminded not to leave anything behind, for when the bus does come, it's always on time. Now everything from the government came with a warning, a notice. Just that morning a sheaf of leaflets had slid through the letterbox.

The Haikus are everywhere
You could pass them, a stranger
So be home before dark tonight
And you'll avoid the danger

A haiku is a poem
Structured five-seven-five
Run from those who speak it
And you will stay alive

These people are a menace
We wish them from our city
So sign the Fritz Petition
Or join the Oust committee


Juila's husband was on the Oust committee - citizens of Rhymeville convinced that the right way was to fight fire was with fire. The people they hired were no better than thugs; Juila had thought it many times, but they were smart thugs. All they had to do to find the suspect was make them talk. Juila shuddered. The committee was one of the main reasons that she hadn't seen Kjoti for over seven months now. The bus pulled up to the stop and the ancient doors creaked open.

'An adult and three children please
We need to get to Jeseph's Breeze.'

The bus driver, a man as old and gnarled as his bus, gave her a look of pure disgust. She'd seen it many times in her life, although not so much these days. Her heart sank. She had thought that most people had simply gotten over all this.

'I dain't want no foriners in 'ere
I dain't trust your kind
You're 'Aiku-sympafisers, t'lot of you
You're a dainger to mankaind.'

Tired and defeated, Juila could do no more than beg.

'Please sir, we must get home
It's dangerous out here alone.'

He frowned and his face softened very slightly.

'I'll taike your children, they're just small
But you get out my soight
Get off the bus, keep walking
I dain't want no stress tonoight.'

Juila sighed, crushed. She kissed her children goodbye.

'Wait patiently when you get there -
And I'll be quick as I can, I swear.'

She walked back off the bus and started off down the road, taking as many shortcuts and side-allies as she knew. She'd lived in the back streets of this city for years and knew them pretty well. Between worrying about her children, worrying about herself and worrying about the Haikus, she found plenty to eat herself up with on an average occasion, and right then she had plenty to rant to herself about.

'Foreigner, am I?
I wish he'd die!
Acts like I'm a freak
For the way I speak!
Why should I be upset
Simply because I am a Plet?'

She stopped by the edge of the road, and looked out over the flat, yellow fields, interspersed with red, red roads. In the darkness her cat-like eyes had no difficulty in spying the bright lights of the town in the distance.

'It's almost here
What is there to fear?'

She sighed, and approached the bus stop outside her home. And the sight that met her was not in the least bit comforting.

Sign up to rate and review this story