Categories > Anime/Manga > Full Metal Alchemist > Hawkeye's Secret

The Train Ride

by ladybug1115 0 reviews

Riza Hawkeye has a secret and Colonel Mustang is about to find out. Ed and Al are missing. And WHY is Maes in the story?

Category: Full Metal Alchemist - Rating: G - Genres: Drama - Characters: Riza Hawkeye, Roy Mustang, Winry Rockbell - Warnings: [!!!] - Published: 2007-02-19 - Updated: 2007-02-19 - 1340 words

-1TrainWreck
Hawkeye's Secret
Disclaimer: I don't own the characters, I made the story up.

Chapter one: The Train Ride

Two lieutenants stood at attention in front of Colonel Mustang. "Hawkeye, you will show Lt. Winry Rockbell around and instruct her on the rules."

"Yes, sir," Riza Hawkeye murmured in reply.

One hour later Riza stood with Winry in the living room of her apartment. "You need furniture, Ms. Winry," Riza acknowledged.

"I know. I meant to go shopping yesterday before reporting to the Fuhrer for my assignment, however there wasn't any time."

"There usually isn't. ...Tell me, do Edward and Alphonse know you work for the State?"

"No, I meant to tell them, but, well, then I thought of their reaction and got, well a little scared."

"They need to know, besides I've seen you hit Ed over the head with that wrench of yours and, never has he hit you back."

"Tomorrow, maybe," Win complied

"Good, Ms. Winry, because that's when they get back from Catbird Island." As Riza turned to leave Winry spotted her service weapon. Win knew she now had to carry one and was a little worried about it. She would much rather have her wrench.

An incredibly short ten minute walk later Riza was unlocking her apartment door, "Yes, sir?" she suddenly asked.

"I wondered if you saw me, lieutenant. How did it go?" Colonel Mustang inquired.

"She needs furniture, sir. Did you know she never told Edward she was moving here or joining the Military?"

"Why should she?" Roy asked surprised. He never heard her full reply but caught the words "men" and "idiot".

Hawkeye opened her door and gestured for Mustang to enter. Roy had never been in her apartment. It was messier than he thought it would be. He noticed she had old water alchemy artifacts all over her place. Only when the door closed and she pushed the final latch closed did Riza realize she had let Roy Mustang into her apartment. She had no idea what she should do now. The silence was becoming unbearable for both of them. Before either of them could try to break it, Riza's phone rang. "Hawkeye," she said answering it. Roy for the life of himself had no idea who was on the other end, but from he expressions on his lieutenants face it wasn't good news.

The young woman on the other end of the phone spoke, "I'm so, so sorry, ma'am! I didn't mean to lose them! I'll find them again, I promise!"

The woman was becoming hysterical and Riza could say nothing to calm her because Roy was standing right next to her. Finally, Riza settled on saying, "It's fine. I have no doubt that you will, Salli."

The young woman, Salli, was an old, former, servant of the Hawkeye family. When Riza was ten she resented her father for teaching her water alchemy and, in rebellion, started an army of "spies". Salli was the first but it quickly spread until all the children on Catbird Island were under the command of "General" Riza Hawkeye. Now they were grown. But like most people from a small town they stayed in touch. Now Salli collected reports and handled all the major events. Sometimes sending something to Riza. And for the "spies" who had moved, they were paid by Riza's inheritance to keep Salli informed. Just a few months earlier, one of the spies had tipped Riza off to hit put out on a military officer. Riza had informed Hughes, and sent him to live with Salli. Today Salli had been tracking Ed and Al as they looked around the island for the Philosopher's Stone. Now that Salli had lost them that meant they were out in the wilds of the island all alone. Now that she thought about it they could even be there to find their dad. "I have to go, Sal. I'll talk to you later," and Riza hung up her phone.

"So, Lieutenant, what was that about?"

"Sir, I believe in the rules that you asked me to review with Winry there was something about personal business staying out of the work environment." Secretly Riza was grateful for that. When she was nine and just beginning her weapons training her father explained alchemy to her. According to her father, Riza was the only remaining "Water Alchemist". All the others had been killed off by the Fuhrer. On his orders all people born with this gift were hung on her home island. The next year her father taught her how to control her power.

Just after Riza hung up, Roy's cell rang, "Mustang," he spoke, answering.

On the other end, Fuery explained, "The Elric brothers disappeared on Catbird Island a few hours ago. You, Lt. Hawkeye, and Lt. Rockbell need to get on the first boat out there in the morning, sir. The Fuhrer wants Winry to go because 'she needs the training'."

"All right, Riza and I will be at the train station soon." When Roy said her name, Riza glanced up to see Roy hang up his cell phone. "We have to go to the Catbird Island where Fullmetal was. He and Al disappeared. Also, We need to pick up Winry. Apparently she needs the training," Roy explained to Riza.

"When do we leave sir?"

"ASAP. You need to call Winry."

"Yes, sir."

One Hour later Roy Mustang, Winry Rockbell, and Riza Hawkeye arrived at East Train Station. They quickly boarded and found their seats. Roy decided he needed to find something to eat, before the train left in one more hour. When the door closed behind him Winry almost broke down. It startled Riza because it was so out of character.

"Do you think Ed's okay?" she nervously asked.

"I'm sure he'll be fine. This is Ed we're talking about."

"You're probably right, but for some reason...no, it's silly."

"You want to know a secret, Win? I used to feel the same way when the Colonel would leave. Now I make sure to leave with him." With this shared secret, Winry and Riza shared the unbreakable bond of people who share your deepest secrets. They weren't friends, but they did share something.

"You're saying you think I should start traveling with Ed?"

"No I'm telling you it will be a decision you'll have to make."

"...Do you think Ed li...no, that's not right. ...Loves me?" Win asked, her voice dropping to a whisper at the end.

"I...um, I think that's something you should find out for yourself."

"I love him."

"I know."

"You love Colonel Mustang?"

"Just between us?"

"All of this is between us?"

Both of them nodded and Riza continued, "I do love him, Win. Unfortunately, nothing will happen between us because I am his subordinate. I will make him Fuhrer, then I'll go home."

"What's your home like," Win was trying to change the subject. She didn't realize this was a worse subject for Riza. Riza wasn't going to let on.

"I live...well, technically, I own Catbird Island. My fondest memory is when I was ten, I started a spy ring. I still keep in touch, so I know most things that happen in this country."

"Wow."

"Hmm, that's not all of it."

"There's more!"

"Nothing you need to know about." And nothing I will tell you about, Win. I wish I could tell you about saving Hughes. I wish I could tell you all of it, Riza thought. At that moment the train started to pull out and Roy returned.

"Find anything good to eat, sir?" Riza asked politely putting on her face of indifference.

"No."

"Well, that's all right. When you eat you get distracted. I brought paperwork for you, sir."

"N...," Roy never finished because Riza's hand was moving in the direction of her gun. I wish she wouldn't do that, he thought. And he immediately sat down to do his work.

Young Winry couldn't stop thinking about Ed, How could he have gotten lost on Catbird Island?
Sign up to rate and review this story