Categories > Games > Final Fantasy X > Memories of a Guardian

Day 44, Year 8 of Braska's Calm: Bevelle Festival

by helluin 0 reviews

Lulu's first glimpse of the great capital of Yevon. Toto, we're not in Kilika anymore!

Category: Final Fantasy X - Rating: G - Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama - Characters: Lulu, Other - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2007-02-20 - Updated: 2007-02-21 - 562 words

0Unrated
A/N: For illustrated version, see http://www.geocities.com/auronlu/guardian/entry16.html

We'll not have access to the Cloister today, nor for the next several days. There's a huge festival being held in honor of Lady Yocun, and the whole city's come to a standstill. I'd think they'd make an exception for her successor hopeful, let alone the daughter of Lord Corlano, but no. We must wait until the priests grant us access to the Bevelle Cloister of Trials.

My lady has secured lodgings near the palace of Yevon, thanks to the hospitality of an elderly couple, Kano and Rilani, who are generous patrons of Djose. We are enjoying hot baths and comforts that almost remind me of the myths of Zanarkand, save of course that there are no machina here. (I confess that I may have to purchase some lilac conditioner for myself on the return journey.) Yevon truly smiles on the holy city. Its residents are happy and prosperous, enjoying the finest foods, spices, perfumes, clothes, and furniture from all over Spira. Buildings are enormous. Our hosts keep only a few servants and live frugally, yet the suite of rooms they've loaned me and Ginnem is nearly the size of Besaid's cloisters. I think one could stage a Blitz tournament in several of the nearby mansions.

I wonder why Sin seldom strikes Bevelle. Maybe the proximity of the Calm Lands is an unpleasant reminder.

Lady Ginnem insisted that we enjoy ourselves today, so we danced in the streets along with the throngs of Yevon. "This is what the Calm will be like," she told me. "Only better." I remember the celebrations after Lord Braska's triumph, but Besaid's not given to great public display. Here, as in Luca, everything is grand spectacle. Maester Mika himself presided over the public thanksgiving feast outside the temple walls, where there were fruit and meats enough to feed hundreds of the faithful. Lord Mika is old, but still hale, and it was quite something to hear him speak! No doubt his long stewardship is due to Yevon's blessing.

We saw Ginnem's father as well, of course, leading the college of priests. I had vain hopes that he would have extended to her some sign, some token of public acknowledgment. There was a sacred reenactment of Yocun's pilgrimage, where Lord Corlano spoke glowingly of her determination and sacrifice. How could he not find it in himself to spare a few words for his own daughter, Djose's newest Summoner?

Ginnem doesn't seem to care. Word soon spread of her presence in the city for the festival. She mingles easily with suppliants, used to tending the sick and needy, and met all those who sought her out today with kind words, a healing touch, and humble gratitude. The house where we're lodged is utterly filled with the flowers and other small offerings that she accepted. Some gifts we will leave with our hosts; the flowers we will take to the temple as soon as it is open to pilgrimage.

The pageantry and majesty of Bevelle is daunting, to put it mildly. Everything is steeped in ceremony and custom. Everything is enormous and vivid, as the Aeons are. I feel a little homesick for the first time on this journey.

It's hard to believe Yuna was raised here as a child. She's such a simple, sweet soul.
Sign up to rate and review this story