Categories > Anime/Manga > Rurouni Kenshin > Rurouni Kenshin and the Lord of the Rings

Ch. 24: Denethor, the Flaming Torch!

by John_the_visionary 2 reviews

Pippin, upon discovering that Denethor intends to burn Faramir alive, brings Gandalf and Aoshi to thwart the mad Steward's plans...

Category: Rurouni Kenshin - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Crossover, Drama - Characters: Aoshi, Hiko, Megumi, Soujiro - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2007-02-22 - Updated: 2007-02-22 - 5065 words

1Exciting



A/n: I'm posting just one chapter today. Enjoy.








Chapter 24: Denethor, the flaming torch! So passes the Steward of Gondor







In Rath Dinen...


The final preparations for the pyre were nearly completed. Faramir laid upon the table within the tomb, dreaming in his fever. Wood was piled from under him, high all about, and the wood was drenched in oil. But no fire had been set to the fuel... as of yet. Denethor huddled himself in a corner, gazing down at his small white rod in his hands, as he solemnly waited the moment... for when the pyre would start.



"My lord Denethor," said one of the guards to Denethor, who stood there like a statue, "...we are ready now."

Denethor paused a moment... then answered emotionlessly, "...yes... it is time."

"Does something trouble you, My Lord?" asked the guard.



Silence followed within the tomb... as Faramir managed a silent, inaudible groan, that nobody seemed to hear...



"This rod," began Denethor forlornly, as he showed the guard the rod of his stewardship, "...has been passed down my line for many generations hence. It--it was... the symbol of my rule of Gondor... a symbol of my great nobility that made me proud for so long. I would have given it to Boromir when my time on this world had ended. He would've done me proud... he was my joy..."





CRACK!



Denethor, inexplicably, with all his anguish... broke his white rod upon his knee, then tossed the pieces onto the wood, making them part of the pyre.





"It is over now," continued Denethor, gritting in anger and despair, "my wife and sons are dead... my line is gone. All our hopes are dashed.... and it is all thanks to Mithrandir and his machinations! And yet... we have heard the horns of Rohan. But their battle will be in vain, for Théoden has not brought enough forces to vanquish this enemy. The King of Rohan and his army, for their valor, will be wiped out with one swift stroke. I have foreseen all that will happen. The sails of the Black Ships will soon come to Minas Tirith... and all will burn.

"...And I shall leave them to the doom that the Grey fool and his stooge have brought upon us. They shall burn by the enemy, me... by my own pyre. My son is calling for me... and no one will defy my will to rule my own end," finished Denethor... as he leapt up the pile of wood.



As he did this... Faramir began to move his fingers a little, that one of the guards noticed. He was filled with fear, after hearing not long ago from Pippin that Faramir was still among the living. Many of the guards who were holding torches looked up at Denethor, with their faces mixed with uncertainty and apprehension. But despite that, their first duty was to their Lord, whether he was acting rationally or not...





Denethor held out his hands, saying, "...give me the oil... that I may burn quickly, with my son."

Unquestionably... the guard obeyed his Steward, ceremoniously handing a large bucket of oil. Denethor waited a moment... before starting to pour the oil upon Faramir... then began drenching himself in oil, pouring it over his head...













Elladan and Elrohir, wielding their spear and sword, continued to cut down the Orcs. Chou's elongated metallic sword also made short work of the Orcs, so much so that the Hakujin no Tachi was greatly feared by the Orcs. Omasu and Ochika skillfully used their talents to strike down each Orc, wielding their Galadhrim weapons.

But then... a couple of arrows shot from above... and hit the Elf-twins in their legs. Elladan and Elrohir ached greatly in pain. The Orcs were about to shoot again at the elves...



But Omasu and Ochika shot their arrows at the twins' attackers, instantly felling them. The female ninjas rushed over to Elladan and Elrohir, taking them to a safe corner in a nearby building.



"Are you guys okay?" asked Omasu.

"Don't worry," replied Elrohir, "its not that bad. However... I don't think we'll be able to stand for a while."

"Miss Omasu... Miss Ochika," interjected Elladan, "seeing as we're unfit for battle... take up our weapons for us."



Ochika and Omasu gasped in surprise, as they were given the burden of the twins' weapons...



"Ochika," Elladan said, as he handed his fashioned Elven sword to her, "I give my sword, /Hadhafang/, to you. Our sister, Arwen... and another Elven princess, Idril, also wielded it before. But Elrond was the first to use it in the great battle of Mordor long ago. I have every confidence that you'll use it well."



Ochika nodded as she took Hadhafang from Elladan.



"Omasu," Elrohir said, as he handed his long spear to her, "...the spear, /Aiglos/, has never been wielded by a woman. For this spear has only been wielded by Gil-Galad, during the battle of the Last Alliance over 3000 years ago. Many Orcs feared it, greatly, when they were slain by its mighty blade. I am the second Elf ever to have the honor of wielding such a great weapon. May it serve you well, in this fight."



Omasu also meekly accepted her gift from the other Elven prince of Rivendell, taking it from him, gazing at its splendor, highly decorated of gold and silver, arranged in patterns of leaves, with its glave-like blade that glimmered like stars in pale moonlight.

"Wield these weapons well, women of Japan," Elladan said, giving his blessings to Omasu and Ochika, to which they nodded in return.





As the Orcs continued to pour through the streets... Omasu and Ochika then stepped out in front of the creatures, with the Elven weapons, brandished in their hands.





"You creeps want a piece of us?" said the defiant Omasu, holding Aiglos in her hands.

The Orcs growled fiercely at the women who insulted them.

"Rip their pretty little heads off!" one of the Orcs cried out as the charged at Ochika and Omasu...





But the Orcs were countered as Omasu twirled Aiglos above her head... and quickly turned herself, using the blade of the spear to slice into the Orcs so skillfully and with concise precision, felling them so easily. Against some Orcs, she fought one on one, using Aiglos as if it was a Bo staff in her hands, parrying the Orcs' sword attacks.

Ochika used Hadhafang as if it were an ordinary Japanese sword. She found that the sword was so light within her grasp, not unlike a kodachi. Her ninja skills had allowed her to wield the sword in such deadly accuracy... that no Orc could counter it. Omasu jumped onto one of the Orcs' shields and kicked an Orc right beside her before she turned around to slice the Orc's head off and stabbed the other Orc in which she knocked down.

Elladan and Elrohir watched in sheer amazement to the extent level of fighting that Omasu and Ochika were able to do with the legendary Elvish weapons. It was like the twins felt that these women had the spirits of Elven warriors as they continued to cut down each Orc. Chou couldn't believe it himself to the level of battling that Ochika and Omasu were able to do.



"Well, well," commented Chou, with a bright smirk, "looks like we've got ourselves a pair of lethal ladies here."









Meanwhile... the Police and Samurai that continued to hold off against the Orcs and Uruk-Hai were finally giving out as the Orcs continued to beat down the protectors of the city with their clubs and swords, making them lay onto the ground with growing fear. Many of the Samurai were killed by the Uruk-Hai, bludgeoning them with the manifers on their arms. One of the officers was bashed on the head with one of the Orcs' clubs.

As the Orc was about to deliver the final blow, laughing viciously...





WHACK!



Something hit the Orc in the head, and a sword sliced downward into the Orc's shoulder. The officer looked up...





To see Radagast the Brown mounted on top of a brown horse, with no bridle and saddle on its back. Two Uruks ran towards the wizard and his horse... but the horse turned wildly like a primal beast and trampled its hooves on top the Uruks. Radagast roared out as he twirled his staff around, and beating the Orcs down with it. The wizard also used Orcrist to slice the Orcs beneath him. The horse ran like a free, wild animal as it rode with Radagast against the Army of Mordor. Radagast and the horse worked in unison, crushing the minions of Sauron.



"Don't give up men!" cried Radagast, to the police and Samurai, as he continued to ride wildly throughout the streets, "fight! Fight with all your heart!"



The police and Samurai were amazed at the Wizard's power being able to control a horse without a bridle. It was as if they saw that the wizard and the horse were one and whole. The courage of the Men was bolstered ten-fold as they continued fighting the enemy.

However...





SCRREEECHHHHH!!!!





The Ringwraiths flew across the city, their Fell beasts picking off the Samurai and Police, one by one. Their ears ached due to the high-piercing screech of the wraiths. The Fell beasts did immense damage to the defenders, swiping them with their claws and used their mouths to eat them whole, and even knocking them from the top of the buildings, letting them fall onto the ground, hard. The terror of the wraiths alone would be able to diminish the courage of the Police and Samurai.

"Take cover, men!" the Police, cried out, as the winged creatures of Mordor killed more of the defenders, left and right...





KABOOM!!!



Then something suddenly exploded in front of the wraith and his beast, causing it to bellow frantically. And from the air...





A skinny, creepy looking, very emaciated man, wearing glider wings in the shape of a bat flew, with packs of dynamite over his body.

"I may look like a freak, but Henya, former flight of the Juppongatana, will not let ugly, horrifying things like you take this world!" cried the man called Henya.

"TAKE THIS!" Henya roared out as he threw another pack of dynamite at the Fell beasts...











Sojiro Seta continued to battle against the Mountain Trolls with his blinding-fast Shukuchi techniques. The former boy Manslayer of Shishio was able to dodge the Trolls' wide-scale attacks. He used his lightning speed to run up a building... and shot himself towards a nearby Troll, slicking him across the belly. The Troll fell dead instantly.

However... more trouble was ahead, as a pack of Warg riders rushed forth, giving Sojiro some extra trouble, aside from the Mountain trolls. Sojiro fought head on against the Wargs and their riders, using the sword-slashing Tenken attack. He dodged every attack the Orcs threw at him.

The Trolls joined in the fray against the innocent-looking fighter. But they were unable to hit Sojiro, using the Shukuchi as his trump card. Suddenly... a Warg was able to clench its mouth onto Sojiro's sword, and struggled wildly as Sojiro tried to pull it from the beast's grasp. And in all that time...



WHACK!



A troll was able to knock Sojiro away from the Warg that had his sword in its mouth. In some pain, Sojiro looked up to see the Warg snap the Japanese sword in two. It was certainly the second time that he had a sword broken, ever since Kenshin defeated him with the final attack of Hiten Mitsurugi, Amakakeru Ryu no Hirameki.

Sojiro now felt helpless, as he had no weapon to fight against the giant Trolls and Wargs. He could dodge them, but with his injuries, he could not hold out against them for very long--



FLASH!




A white, blazing light flashed in the Troll's direction, blinding their eyesight. The light also was intolerable for the Wolves of Mordor as they could only cringe in agony. Sojiro saw that it was Radagast's staff that was sending that light, and that he was riding a brown horse without a saddle or bridle. He was amazed that the wizard was still alive, after he had to leave him behind fighting the Orcs on his own.





Radagast came up to Sojiro and said, "come, ride with me, Sojiro. Let us bear you up for the duration of the battle."

Sojiro nodded as he mounted upon the horse.



"Here, take this," said Radagast, giving Sojiro the sword, Orcrist, "you will need it, since you have no other weapon to bear."

Sojiro nodded again.

"Ha!" yelled Radagast to his horse as it charged wildly at the Trolls.





Sojiro was still able to wield a sword, despite being injured. He twirled and swung Orcrist down onto the Orcs, and stabbed the Wargs in the eyes and through their heads. Radagast continued twirling his staff, knocking many Orcs aside. As they rode, they were able to swiftly dodge the Mountain Trolls, to which Sojiro sliced surgically, in the belly.









Halbarad, Okina, Megumi, Ayame and Suzume kept going on foot, as they had to leave behind Sojiro and Radagast. So far, they've been able to avoid running into the enemy, until...



An Uruk jumped in front of the fleeing company. The children recoiled before the giant-sized Orc as it had intended to kill them. But Halbarad jumped in front, swiftly countering the Uruk's sword. Suddenly... more Uruks appeared out of nowhere, surrounding Okina and the others.

Okina joined in the fray as he knocked down many of the Uruk-Hai, using his steel tonfas.



"Run!" yelled Okina.



Halbarad continued countering the sheer power of the Uruks as he sliced into their armor. Okina ducked under one of the Uruk's blows and swiftly took the sword from him as he jumped up... and used the spike on the back of the blade to slice into the Uruk's back, where there was no armor. The Uruks went after Okina, who was using a sword in his right hand, and used the tonfa on his left arm as a shield.

Megumi, Suzume and Ayame ran as fast as they could... before being spotted by a crowd of horses, mounted by Elves. Megumi and the children were filled with relief to see the Elves coming to their rescue...





"Ela sen! (/Flank them),/" ordered the lead Elf, as two Elf horsemen galloped to Okina and Halbarad's assistance.

The Lead Elf then turned to Megumi and said, "my lady, let us assist you."

"Thanks," replied Megumi, "much appreciated."



Megumi hoisted Suzume into the Lead Elf's lap on top of his steed, as another Elf took Ayame into his. Halbarad and Okina dealt with the last few Uruks with the help of the Elves.



"Okina! Halbarad!" cried Megumi, as she mounted on a horse that had no rider, "let's go!"

"Asca! (/Hurry!/)," ordered the Lead Elf



The Men and Elf horsemen, hearing Megumi and the Lead Elf's call, began to make for the company of Elves. But more Uruks were on their way towards them, closing fast. The Elves from the main group were able to shoot arrows into the Uruks, giving some cover fire for Okina and the others, as they tried to make it towards them. Okina made it to the Elves and mounted atop a horse that also had no rider.



"Thank you, sir," greeted Okina, "who are you?"

"I am Rumil of Lothlorien," answered the lead Elf.

"Pleased to meet you," replied Okina, then called to Halbarad, "Halbarad, come on!"

Halbarad continued to run toward the Elves, nearly making it...





SWOOP!





But an arrow struck his lower back, making him collapse. Ayame and Suzume looked upon the ranger in shock, fearing that he wouldn't make it...



The Dunedain warrior struggled to get onto his feet and rush further towards the Elves and their horses...





SWOOP!



Then a slew of arrows, belonging to the Uruk crossbowmen pierced his back, up the spine. Halbarad collapsed again, feeling his strength being drained from his body...





"...Go," Halbarad managed a cry, "GO NOW!"

"NNOOO!!!" Ayame and Suzume cried in anguish, not wanting to leave Halbarad behind.



But Rumil charged his company away from the valiant Ranger of the North. Ayame and Suzume began to cry tears of sadness and pain, as they looked back at Halbarad, not wanting to leave him behind... to face his death...



Megumi and Okina also looked back at the ranger, who was about to die, both wishing that they could do something to save his life...



Halbarad then chose to accept his fate as he gave a battle cry, turning back to face the Uruks, to take them as gifts to the afterlife, to which the Uruk-Hai gave him as they hacked his sword hand off...



Severed his left leg...



And delivered the final blow, with a swipe at the head, chopping it off, the Uruks growling with the utmost pleasure.

The Elves noticed that the children were looking back at Halbarad's beheading and used their hands to cover their eyes, so they wouldn't have to see the horrific death of the Dunedain ranger. Okina and Megumi chose to look away, as they could not bear to see the Uruks chop off Halbarad's head.

Rumil shared Ayame and Suzume's remorse sharing the same feeling of loss. For he also lost someone who meant a great deal to him when he remembered how he was told of his brother's death at the hands of the Uruk-Hai during a great battle. But regardless, the horses kept riding, not looking back.









On the outskirts of Kyoto...





The combined forces of the Galadhrim and the Imperial Army continued to hold off against the diverse army of Orcs, Uruk-hai, and Easterlings. The Easterlings' short polearms had served well against the Elves and Men, using them both offensively and defensively. Their war-like battle tactics proved to be too much for the Imperial Army to withstand as more of the soldiers were stabbed and hacked by the Easterlings.

The Trolls and Warg riders did heavy damage, when they clashed with the Men and Elves. The Attack Trolls relentlessly knocked away crowds upon crowds of soldiers, including the horsemen, feeling that they were invincible. The Warg riders pounced upon the soldiers of Japan, and ate them, bit by bit. Some of the Elves had shot down the Wargs and Trolls, using their arrows.

Yamagata, Kawaji and Glorfindel assessed the amount of damage being done by the enemy. The primal force was certainly something that Japan had never faced before, even under the oppressive tyranny of the Tokugawa Shogunate, so long ago.



"Kawaji!" yelled Yamagata.

"Mr. Yamagata!" cried Kawaji, "we can't hold them, they're just too much for us!"



Yamagata observed the battle that seemed to exhaust him. More of his soldiers were being slaughtered left and right. He could also see many of the Elves becoming slaughtered, as he could see that Glorfindel became distressed to see many of his kin laying onto the ground, squealing and writhing in pain from their wounds. The Men assisted their fallen Elf comrades as the Elves did the same for the Men.

Yamagata could certainly see that the Elves and Men became equals in this struggle, despite the resentments that the Elves were given, when they arrived. Some to many of Yamagata's troops were food for the slobbering wolf steeds of the Orcs. Fighting against the Shogunate was easy enough, but compared to the sheer untamed ferocity of the creatures and legions of Mordor... it was an entirely different story...





"Order the retreat!" cried Yamagata, giving into defeat...



"RETREAT!" hollered Kawaji, "FALL BACK! RETREAT!"

"Nan a'tal! (/Pull back to the city!/)," cried Glorfindel, "Nan a'tal!!!!"

"Retreat! Retreat!" the men cried out to the other, making their way back towards Kyoto.



Dothmákh smiled viciously at the retreating forces of the Elves and Men.

"The fools!" the Orc exclaimed viciously, "they have no idea of what they're heading into."



The commanding Orc knew that there were other of his forces invading Kyoto, and that they will find no safe haven within the walls or streets of the city. In this instance, all the forces that fought to protect Kyoto... will surely meet their end...





Then... loud cries of horses were heard. They were loud enough for the Elves and Men to hear. Everyone looked towards the east...





And saw many, many horses coming from out of the shadows, on top of a hill. Many of them were armored, to which the Men of Japan recognized... the armors belonging to ancient Samurai, led by none other than the Red Armored Samurai that promised to bring in reinforcements to aid the Imperial Army against the forces of Mordor. The Samurai cried with pride filling their hearts, as they were ready to face off against the enemy, even though they were still outnumbered.



"Let's show them what we're made of!" cried the Red Samurai, "...if it is out time to die, then it is our time! But before that happens... we shall show these animals, how a Samurai fights! SHOW THEM OUR SAMURAI PRIDE!"

"YAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!" the Samurai cried out...



"CHAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRGE!" The Red Samurai roared out... as he began the charge towards the Orcs.



Many of his followers followed him, roaring down the hills of Kyoto. Yamagata felt hope settling over his troubled brow. He had never thought that a band of Samurai, who may dislike the Meiji Government, would be able to settle their differences for what was the coming doom of Sauron. He felt that even after the threat was extinguished, that things would be the way they usually were, fights of rebellion, and unrest for Japan, ever since the end of the Seinan Wars last year. However, he and the Samurai knew that it wasn't the time to be consumed or worried about their petty differences, but to be united in the common fight, as Radagast the Brown had told them.



Dothmákh and his troops snarled at the nuisance of the charging Samurai that came to aid the Galadhrim and Imperial Army. The Samurai charged their hardest, set on killing the creatures that had attacked their country, and perhaps killed many of their friends since they arrived. They rode swiftly, not slowing in what was sure to be the day of their deaths.



"About face," Dothmákh ordered his archers, "...FIRE!"



The archers fired their arrows at the Samurai, but kept charging nonetheless, even as some fell before their arrows. Dothmákh became full of apprehension, as even their arrows proved useless against the Samurai. The Uruk-Hai pikesmen and the Easterlings marched out towards the Samurai. The Uruks extended their pikes as the Easterlings extended their 9ft polearms in which they can use to deflect enemy charges...



But then, several arrows from the charging Samurai fired at the Uruks and Easterlings, felling several of the warriors, allowing some entry into the enemy ranks...




The opposing forces clashed greatly within the fields outside Kyoto. Swords swinging everywhere, slicing into any Orc, Uruk, or Easterling within sight. Disarray now issued within the army of Mordor, as more of the Samurai charged into the battlefield, not slowing or stopping, but doing away with the enemy.

But this angered Dothmákh, shouting in rebuke, "worthless maggots! You call yourselves ORCS?"



"FALL IN!" cried Yamagata, "HEAD BACK INTO THE BATTLE!"



The Imperial Army charged back into fighting as they took the opportunity to exploit the disarray of the Orcs, their one ray of hope coming in their hour of need. The Elves also fought back fiercely, avenging many of their fallen kin...













Back in Rath Dinen...



Denethor, standing on top of the pyre, basked in the oil that he was pouring over his head, feeling as if he was cleansing himself for the journey to the great beyond. The guards looked on in despair, watching Denethor emptying the last of the oil out of the bucket... then dropped it onto the floor. Faramir, while having the oil splashed over him, twitched his head a bit... but it went passed unnoticed by Denethor...



"...Set a fire in our flesh," Denethor ordered, wearily, as he closed his eyes and extended his arms like a martyr, awaiting the blackness of death...





The guards approached with uncertainty and confusion, with Pippin's claim of Faramir being alive, ringing and troubling within their very minds and hearts...



But regardless... Denethor was still their lord and master, as the guards lowered their torches... to set the wood on fire...







BASH!



The doors to Rath Dinen suddenly and spectacularly burst open, kicked down by Shadowfax, with Gandalf and Pippin riding on his back, and Aoshi, who stood without a horse to bear him. Denethor turned his head, defiantly gazing at the people who interrupted the burning...







"Stay this madness!" Gandalf cried out, and the guards stopped at his command.

"Denethor," interjected Aoshi, "you're more pathetic than I thought. Thinking less of your son is one thing... but burning him alive when his death is still in doubt is truly inexcusable, even for you!"

"I should've had your tongue cut!" Denethor yelled angrily, pointing his finger at Aoshi.

"And as I said to you before, you would have to catch me first," Aoshi replied firmly.



Denethor then reached out and snatched one of the torches from the guards and stood defiantly at Gandalf and Aoshi, who stood at the door.



"Then catch this... you, who have stolen the love of my son," growled Denethor, giving a final word, "...you and Mithrandir may triumph on the field of battle for a day... but against the power that has risen in the east, there is no victory!"

"YOU'RE WRONG!" barked Aoshi, as he began dashing at the pyre...





But the embittered Steward quickly threw the torch onto the pyre... and the fire roared out quickly, surrounding both him and Faramir into an inescapable wall of flame. Pippin gasped despairingly, fearing that he was too late. Aoshi's eyes widened as he saw the fire began engulfing the wood, as he used his strength and speed to rush for the pyre.



"GUARDS!" Denethor roared out... as a dozen of guards still loyal to him stepped in front of Aoshi, trying to hold him off, believing that he couldn't stop the pyre.

But Aoshi countered each guard skillfully, as Denethor watched in disgust, knowing that Aoshi was making short work of the guards.



"Will no one slay me this infidel?!" said Denethor in humiliation.

"Gandalf!" Aoshi cried out to the wizard, "hurry!"

'Why must we fight in the Hallows, when there is war enough before the Gate?' thought Gandalf as he snatched a pike that belonged to one of the guards at the door... and rushed Shadowfax forward toward the burning pyre.





Gandalf knocked Denethor off of the pyre, sending him flying down to the floor. Pippin grabbed the Gandalf's arm as he steadied himself to look for an opening in the flames... and leapt onto the pyre. The Hobbit placed his hands under Faramir and tried to heave him off of the pyre, though he had to try several times, his teeth gritted with the effort using all his strength mustered.

But finally...



Pippin managed to roll Faramir, as well as himself, off of the pyre... and onto the stone floor, saving them both from a flaming death. The Hobbit quickly used his hands to slap at the flames on Faramir's clothing.





"NOOO!!!!!" Denethor, with some fire caught onto his cloak, ranted in anguish as he picked himself off the ground and pulled Pippin off of Faramir, attacking him, "you will not take my son from me!"

"No! No!" Pippin wailed, recoiling and struggling to get away from Denethor...



THWACK!



Aoshi suddenly, and out of nowhere... swiftly kicked Denethor away from Pippin, sending him flying across the floor. He went to assist Pippin to put out the flames on Faramir's leg.

"You're going to be alright, Faramir," said Aoshi reassuringly to the unconscious Faramir.



But Denethor drew his sword and ran toward Aoshi and Pippin, roaring out furiously, as he had intended to kill them...





Then a neigh came from Shadowfax as he reared in front of the deranged Denethor... and kicked him back onto the burning pyre. Denethor looked down at Faramir from amidst the flames... and saw his son's eyes flutter open suddenly, meeting his father's gaze.



"...Faramir," Denethor gasped in shock as he realized that what Pippin said about his son was true... that he was still alive.

But it was too late for the Steward, as the fire that caught onto his cloak earlier... leapt and roared out, surrounding him in a sea of fire, being drenched in oil still...



"How horrible," said Aoshi solemnly, yet sharply, seeing Denethor being encased with flames, "even he deserves better."

Pippin gasped as Denethor gave out an anguished scream, jumping off from the pyre... and ran out of the tomb, set ablaze, wailing and howling in pain...



"So passes Denethor, son of Ecthelion," lamented Gandalf formally as he, Pippin and Aoshi watched Denethor racing out of Rath Dinen...







Denethor, still in flames... kept running away from the Hallows, dashing throughout the courtyard of the citadel...





And fell over the half-wall, down toward the lower levels of Minas Tirith, like a burning human torch that fell upon Gondor. The days of Denethor's rule had ended. With it... the days of Gondor that the people have known, whether they were good or evil.











Disclaimer: The Lord of the Rings and RK are not mine. They belong to their authors, respectively J.R.R. Tolkien and Watsuki Nobuhiro. This fanfiction is created just for fun, not for any commercial purposes.



A/n: I bet you'd be cheering Denethor's death and say, 'finally'. Many people cheered at his death at the midnight premiere of the movie. Me...I deeply felt sorry for Denethor, being a lost soul and all. So, did you like how I introduced Hennya, the starved-like glider man of the Juppongatana? You will have also noticed that I killed off someone else, that of Halbarad. I read it in my Tolkien encyclopedia that he died during the Battle of Pelennor Fields originally, so that's why.

Spoiler: There'll be more introductions and more killings as the battle of Kyoto unfolds. Sorry.

Please read and review.
Sign up to rate and review this story