Categories > Original > Sci-Fi

Occupied

by EatThePath 1 review

An bad day for everyone.

Category: Sci-Fi - Rating: PG - Genres: Sci-fi - Published: 2007-02-27 - Updated: 2007-02-27 - 611 words - Complete

1Insightful
It's strange, but the details of life haven't really changed since they came, at least in most areas. Sure, jobs are a bit scare and everything is getting more expensive, but it's still livable. As long as you don't watch the news, anyway. Lately, though, more of their scouts were combing through the city. Just a week before I saw some moron try throwing a molotov cocktail at one sniffing around his house, I guess someone had told him it'd work. The poor fool hardly had it out of his hands when it exploded. They put out the fire nicely enough, by stomping him into the pavement... Damn it Jim, I thought you were smarter than that...

Anyway, I was just heading for the farmer's market, as that's the only place you can get decent produce anymore since they drove us out of California and the Midwest, and I saw them coming in from a lander parked just outside of the city. I probably should have been listening on the radio for alerts, but that thing always just ends up depressing me so I never turn it on any more.

There was a whole convoy, heading for downtown. I figure they finally decided we were worth the effort here, maybe they got done picking through the rubble that used to be Chicago, who knows. I knew I should get out of there, 'lest one of them accidentally ran me over or decided I looked threatening and had me shot, but I couldn't move. They might be bastards, but they're still a sight to behold, and their ships no less. I'd never actually seen on n person, and I almost started heading toward it to get a better look when everything went to hell.

'course you know that back when everything started falling apart the government ramped up production on all sorts of military weapons and just started giving them away to anyone that wanted one. I can see why they did it, give everyone a fifty and the citizens will mount their own resistance. But even putting aside the crimes I think it did more harm then good. These god damn militia don't have any sense, and I got to see that first hand that day.

Well they waited until most of the convoy was betweens the buildings, and then guys with guns started popping up everywhere. Roof tops, windows, alleys, buses. I don't know what they were firing, but the beasts took notice of it. They turned them lasers they have on the people... one sap right by me stuck his head out to shoot at them and it just... exploded.

And if that wasn't enough, old jeeps and trucks with guns bolted on started showing up, though god only knows what those meat heads thought they could accomplish. I just want to know where they scrounged up enough gas for those old ice engines. I didn't really see what happened next, as the monsters started throwing up smoke screens. Thats when I finally snapped out of it and started running. Next thing I know, there's about three sonic booms and some big explosions. I didn't stop to look back, but I guess that's when we lost those buildings.

So that's what happened. Print it in your paper if you like, but don't make those bastards sound like heroes. I hear there were some remnants of the army involved, and the beasts musta thought so too. They're the reason we lost Singapore, and it didn't gain us anything. They're as bad as the monsters themselves, and I hope you don't say any different. We've got enough problems as it is.
Sign up to rate and review this story