Categories > Games > Final Fantasy Tactics > The Way of the Warrior

A Cruel Twist of Fate, Part 1

by Legion 0 reviews

After the battle with Altima Ramza disappeared. Moving away from the newly rebuilt kingdom of Ivalice, he began a family in a small village in Odallia. Fifteen years later, however, his peaceful li...

Category: Final Fantasy Tactics - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Fantasy - Characters: Ramza - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2005-05-06 - Updated: 2005-05-06 - 4269 words

0Unrated
Ivalice has lived peacefully for fifteen years since the Zodiac Brave Story as recorded in the Durai Report has occurred. Ramza and Alma Beoulve have mysteriously disappeared since their battle with Altima at Murond Death City, and most of their companions have also disappeared. Those that did return however have been forced into a lifetime of silence and serviture under the reigning King of Ivalice, Delita Hyral. Uncontested, Delita has full control of Ivalice, morso since the mysterious death of Queen Olevia.
The ever-popular Hokuten and Nanten Orders have been combined along with all other militant groups, and have been renamed, forming the Imperial Legion. Also since Delita has taken control, the church's influence, and even presence have become minimal in the population (With the last major decision of the church being the execution of Olan Durai, the author of the 'blasphemous' Durai Papers), and it is being rumored among the population that Delita himself is a God.

Now it must be known that all of history is a lesson, and if there is one thing we must learn from history it is this; Time flows like a river, events repeat, and for every crisis there must be a hero, someone willing to sacrifice all for the good of others.
Enter now, the untold tale of Aralius Beoluve, as his life twists at the hands of fate. His destiny intertwined with that of all those heroes before him, Aralius must now struggle to find that which is all but lost in these new times: The Way of the Warrior

Goug Machine City

Water streamed down Aralius' face as he stood on the doorstep that his Aunt Alma's instructions had led him to. He was here, but where was here? And more importantly, why?
Pulling back his cloak, Aralius rubbed the hilt of his...no, his father's sword. And then, reassured, he reached and patted the small pouch that carried his most valuable possession which Aunt Alma had given him after...

?????

"Angry spirits of the world strike now! Bolt Four!" Ramza screamed, and as he did so the sky went black and four massive lightning bolts careened from the sky, striking two of Ramza's assailers. "Two down, five more to go." he thought. "And that's not counting the ones Alice and Rad are holding off."
"Surrender us the Zodiac Stones and I'm sure King Delita will let you live the rest of your life out in peace."
"No! The stones just bring chaos and destruction! I won't let their power kill again!" Ramza replied as he raised his sword and took a ready stance.
"So be it. Attack!" The knight in charge thrust his sword forward commanding the attack, and as he did so, three archers knocked arrows and fired them at Ramza, who jumped out of the arrows' path, high up into the air. Then as he fell back towards the ground, Ramza steadied his sword and directed it into the center of the nearest archer's head. The man fell to the ground with a gurgled cry, and Ramza lifted his sword again. "Four more...." just then, Ramza's thoughts were interrupted by an explosion that destroyed the house he was defending...his house! Whipping around, he lowered his sword and screamed, "Alice!" Ramza then felt a ripple of pain go up his spine, and when he looked down, he saw the blade of a sword sticking out from his stomach.
As the blade slid from his body, Ramza fell to the ground clutching his stomach. "Search the rubble." he heard the commander say. "I'm sure..." The man's thoughts were then cut off by the screams of his men as they all suddenly fell to the ground dead. "What the...!?" the commander said spinning around to face the executioner of his men. "Who're you?"
"It's not important." Was all the man said before he swung his sword, cleanly beheading the knight.
The two archers looked at their beheaded captain in shock before frantically trying to string their arrows, but before they could do so the new warrior uttered the words that would become their doom. "Smoldering flames far below, punish the wicked! Fire4!" Three pillars of fire then exploded from the ground, vaporizing the archers.
"Aralius?....is that you son?" Ramza moaned.
"Yes father, I'm here." Aralius replied, carefully rolling over the bleeding body of his father. Ramza opened his eyes and smiled meekly at Aralius. "You look.....much like I did when I was your age, except for your swordsman's body." he said with a smile.
"Shh...I know father."
"Don't shush me...I think I'd know when I was dying. I've seen it so many times...." Then Ramza burst into a fit of coughing, and with each cough, a spurt of blood came out of his mouth. "You see?" he said wincing. "Now tell me Aralius, your mother is she..?"
Aralius looked down at the ground for a moment and then he lifted his gaze to his fathers and shook his head. "She's gone father....they couldn't get into the house, so took a different approach...they destroyed it. And then the bastards took the stones."
A single tear washed down Ramza's dirt and blood covered face. "It's beginning again...." he mumbled. "Aralius, promise me something."
"Anything father."
"Protect the stones...don't let them..." Ramza paused while he violently coughed and then he resumed, saying, "Don't let them cause...the havoc that they bring."
"I will father. I promise you."
"Good." Ramza replied with a weak smile. "Remember Aralius, in these odd times you must follow the way of the warrior."
"True to yourself, true to others, and action only when necessary." Aralius whispered. Ramza nodded then said,
"You will be a fine man Aralius." Aralius smiled as he struggled to hold back tears.
"Quit acting as if you're already dead." Aralius said as he picked up Ramza. "I'm sure Father Orillio can help." Aralius looked to see what his father would say, but found that Ramza had already lapsed into unconciousness....he didn't have much more time.

*

Aralius slammed his fist on the huge wooden door of the church. There was a shout from inside and then the door slowly slid open. Suddenly the head of the old priest, Father Orillio, popped out from behind the door.
"What is it? Don't you know that....Aralius! What's happened son?" he exclaimed as the light from his torch revealed Aralius and his bloodstained clothing.
"No time. My father..."
"Yes, your father. Quickly, inside." The door swung the rest of the way open and Aralius hurried inside. Once inside, the door qas quickly slammed shut and barricaded. Father Orillio then turned to Aralius and said, "Were you followed?"
Aralius shook his head no, and a look of relief shone upon the priests face. He then motioned for Aralius to follow him. The two walked down the corridors of the church for some time before they came to where Aralius presumed their destination would be, only to find that they were now to go up several flights of stairs.
They slowly made their way up the stairs, the shorter, rounder Priest Orillio in the lead followed by Aralius who still carried his father. Finally, they came to a halt and a door was opened that revealed a small room within was only a small table and a bed.
"Set him on the bed." the priest said.
Aralius nodded and complied. The priest then examined Ramza for a few moments and shook his head. "I'll do what I can. But your father is in bad shape. His internal organs are bleeding and his body is in shock. But he's a tough one alright." The priest nodded his head to the affirmative at this and then turned to Aralius. "You'll only be in the way though, so out with you. And get some new clothes and a bath you reak of death."
That was the last thing Aralius heard before he was shoved out into the stairwell, the door to his father's infirmary slamming shut behind him. Father was right though, he did smell like death. Aralius proceeded down the stairs, and it was only when he reached the bottom that he realized that he had no idea where to go. He had only been in the church once in a great while, and when he was here it was either in the temple or the library....he shrugged his shoulders uncaring and made his was down one of the many corridors.
A great while past and Aralius was beginning to think that he was traveling in circles...no..now he was sure of it. He'd seen that same painting of Ordallia three times now. Cursing, Aralius continued to an intersection. Looking to the right, at the very end of the corridor he could see a faint light. The light continued to become brighter and brighter and Aralius realized that the person, whoever they were, was coming towards him. Smiling, he stepped into the corridor to greet the stranger.
"Hi, uh Father Orillio wanted me to get some clothes and a bath and well...I kindof lost my way. I was wondering....."
The person was now withing arms reach of Aralius but before he could finish the stranger screamed, dropping their torch and turning to run. Realizing that he was covered in blood, Aralius reached out and grabbed the person by the arm.
"No, wait I can explain..." he said but before he could do so he was struck hard in the shin. With a shout he fell to the ground, clutching his shin. Aralius then looked up to see a staff coming towards his face. He rolled out of the way of the first blow, and then caught the second and wrenched the staff away. The stranger turned to flee once again, but Aralius grabbed them by the arm again. "Now see here....."
"You won't get away with this!" the stranger, whom he found was a girl stranger screamed.
"I won't?...I mean get away with what? I'm just looking for a bath and some clothes like the Father said I should do..." The girl stopped struggling to get away at hearing this.
"You mean you're the Father's guest?"
"Yeah, somethin' like that." Aralius replied sheepishly scratching the back of his head.
"Oh, I'm so sorry..umm...right this way." The girl picked up her things and led Aralius down the corridor and to the left and back into the well-lit corridors. "Here it is."
"Thanks....um..." Aralius replied.
"Madison." she replied as she pulled back the hood from her white robe. As she did so long brown hair fell around her shoulders and for a moment Aralius was captivated at her beauty.
"M...Madison. Um...thanks...hehe...uh and about those clothes?"
"I'll go get them myself, but you should hurry and undress and bathe before someone else sees you covered in blood."
"Hehe yeah." Aralius replied, again scratching the back of his head. Madison smiled and turned down the hallway. It was a few moments later before Aralius realized that she was gone. Shaking his head, he walked into the room and undressed, wondering how he could be swooning over a girl when his father quite possibly could be dead.
Aralius grabbed a towel and walked over to the large tub and stuck his hand in the water to test it. Still warm. That must have been why Madison was down this way. Setting his towel down, Aralius jumped into the tub and submerged himself for a moment. He sat with his eyes closed and head back against the edge of the tub until he heard the door open. Rolling his head to the side he saw that it was none other than Madison with an armload of what he assumed were his new clothes.
She looked up and saw Aralius and smiled. Aralius then reached and grabbed the bar of soap that was in the tray beside the tub and began to wash. After a few moments Aralius heard the sound of water splashing. Turning around he saw that Madison was now undressed and also in the tub. Though this was not unusual in Ordallia, as everything from bathing rooms to toilets were co-ed, Aralius' father had never particularly liked the idea.
"It just isn't decent." Was what his father had always said. Aralius shrugged indiferently. He then lathered up his hair and began scrubbing when he felt a tap on his shoulder. Slowly turning around, he saw that Madison was brushing up beside him.
"May I use that?" she asked pointing to the soap. Aralius nodded and handed it to her, and then realized that he was staring...at her breasts nontheless. Blushing, he handed her the soap and quickly turned around. There was a moment of silence and then a giggle as Madison reached the other side of the tub.
Aralius was soon finished cleaning, and so he hopped out of the tub and picked up his towel. "There's a pile of clothes sitting on the bench there." Madison said pointing to a bench in the corner of the room. Aralius nodded and proceeded to dry off. He then picked up the clothes and examined them to make sure they would fit. He slipped on the shirt, pants, and socks that were in the pile. After doing so, he picked up his boots and examined them. They too, he noticed were covered in blood. So he walked back over to the tub and grabbed the cleaning sponge from the tray and began scrubbing them. Finally after what seemed ages of scrubbing, the boots were clean, so he made his way back to the bench, sat down and pulled them on.
"If you wait just a moment I'll help you find your way back to the Father's room." Madison said as she exited the pool. Aralius nodded still dumbfounded...still staring at...her...beauty. She approached the bench after drying herself and Aralius averted his eyes to where his bloody clothes and sheathed sword lay. Aralius then took his towel and bundled the bloody clothes into it and then looked for something to wrap the sword in. As he looked he bumped into the hand of a now clothed Madison in which she had her towel. Smiling he took the towel and wrapped his sword in it. That done he picked up his things and the two headed for the door.

*

Aralius now sat in Father Orillio's chambers. Madison had left, saying that she had to go for morning prayer. It was only then that Aralius realized that it was almost sunup...and how tired he really was. So here he sat, wavering in and out of conciosness when the door flew open.
"Aralius my boy, here you are!" exclaimed Father Orillio.
"Father! Is..."
"Yes, yes your father is quite alright. I told you he was a tough one. Though I'm not sure how much of the battle he remembers...that doesn't matter though. He will make a full recovery, though it will take quite some time. Come, he would like to speak with you." Aralius nodded and stood. He stretched for a moment and yawned before he followed the short priest out the door.
The two made their way to the staircase in silence. Slowly they began their trek up the stairs when Father Orillio attempted to start a conversation. "So I hear you've met Madison."
Aralius groaned inwardly. "Yes, we met." The old priest laughed.
"That's good, she needs to get out of this old place." Aralius stopped walking.
"You mean she's not in the order?" Again, Father Orillio laughed.
"Heavens no. She's the daughter of one of the locals. She came here to learn our ways of healing, among other things. It was also a release for her parents as she's always been a handful." he replied prodding Aralius up the stairs.
"And what do you mean 'she needs to get out of this place'? Just what do you know?"
"Only what I need to lad...only what I need to. Now here we are, and remember, your father is still very weak, and will be for some time. His hearing is also amplified...a side effect from the healing, so keep your voice down..."
"Just let him in already!" Came a shout from within.
"You heard the man, in with you. I'll be here when you're done." Aralius nodded and entered the room, slowly closing the door behind him. He then walked across the small room and stood beside the bed of his father who was propped up with pillows and covered in the large blanket. Ramza looked extremely pale, but Aralius didn't realize how weak his father really was.
"Here you are. I was wondering if you'd ever come." Ramza said with a grin. "Anyway, Father told me that I will be out of commission for awhile, and that's why we need to talk. What do you remember of the conversation we had before I passed out?"
"We talked about mother, and the stones, and me protecting them." Aralius could see the grief pass through his father's eyes when he mentioned mother. But he continued on. "And the way of the warrior...and that's it isn't it?"
Ramza nodded the affirmative. "Yes, that's it. But I'm afraid you'll have to do more than that. I want you to do something for me if you're up to it."
"Anything father, just tell me what to do!" Ramza smiled at his son's eagerness.
"Your Aunt Alma won't like this, but I want you to see her, and take her this letter. It will explain the situation to her." Aralius took the letter and tucked it in his belt.
"What does this have to do with me?" Aralius asked.
"I want you to go to Ivalice. The letter will tell Alma where to send you. You won't be as recognizable as either of us would be...you look too much like your mother." There it was. Mother again. Aralius was stung by it every time. He could only imagine what his father could be going through. "I want to know what Delita is up to. Anyway, the letter will explain everything to your Aunt who will give you directions from there. And should you run into the stones, be wary, they are extremely dangerous, but if you can bring them back with you."Aralius nodded and began to stand.
"Oh, I almost forgot. Take this." Ramza lifted the fold of his blanket to reveal his sword, Excalibur. "Hopefully you won't need it, but it will be best if you take it anyway. There's also a chestplate over in the corner, and if you need anything else I'm sure Father Orillio will help you out."
Aralius picked up his father's sword and stared at it for a moment. "Alright father. I'll do my best." Ramza nodded and smiled. Aralius gave his father one last squeeze, picked up the chest plate and made his way to the door. When he had the door almost open, Aralius heard his father say,
"Oh, and what's this I hear about you meeting Madison?" Aralius ignored the comment and slammed the door to make sure it made lots of noise. As he stood in the doorway, Father Orillio looked Aralius over and then began walking down the stairs.
"So you're going?" the priest asked.
"Yes."
"You know the way?"
"No."
"Will you be needing some things?"
"Please."
"Get me a list and I'll see what I can do." Aralius thought for a moment.
"I'll need a pack, and a cloak, and some medical supplies, and a chocobo."
"I think I can do that anything else?" The two stopped at the base of the stairs while Aralius thought about the last question. Then suddenly there was a loud gurgling sound.
"How about some food? I'm starving!" At this the priest burst into laughter and nodded.
"Yes, yes food! I'll take you there and then you can get some rest, and by morning I'll have your things for you." Aralius murmured his thanks as the two headed towards the dining room.

The next morning, Aralius stood in front of Father Orillio's door waiting for the old priest to come out with his things. A few moments passed and he impatiently gave the door three hard thumps. There was a murmur from inside, something about another moment, at which Aralius sighed and then made his way to a bench that sat a little down the hall.
As he sat down the chain mail he had decided to wear instead of the large chestplate his father gave him rattled. Leaning back, Aralius rested his head against the wall and closed his eyes. A few minutes later, there was a tap on his shoulder.
"Huh? Oh sorry must've drifted off.." he said as he woke up to find none other than a smiling Madison.
"I thought you might like some company on your trip to Ivalice. Besides, I've always wanted to see that country. I hear it's a really beautiful place." she said as she sat next to him.
"Oh, uh actually I wasn't really planning for company you see..."
"Oh don't worry I already asked Father Orillio and he said it wouldn't be a problem."
"No what I mean is, this could be a pretty dangerous trip and it'd probably be best if you stayed..."
"Here? Oh Aralius, please let me come? I won't slow you down I promise.....it'd mean sooo much to me." Aralius looked at the pleading face of the girl and sighed. Just then the door to Father Orillio's room opened and out came the round priest with an armload of supplies.
"Alright you can come." Aralius relented, at the same time trying to convince himself that he decided on his own to let her come. The priest had a huge grin plastered on his face and Aralius made a mental note to tell the priest off when he returned.
"Aralius, here's the things you wanted. A cloak, medical supplies and enough food for two to get to Ivalice."
"Thank you very much. Your generosity is unmatched." Aralius replied quite snidely. "And what of some chocobos for us?"
"I'm afraid we've only one to spare at the moment. It seems a few of the monks were called out and left only one of our chocobos. The good news is he will seat two."
"Alright," Aralius said with a sigh. "Let's see this chocobo."
Father Orillio nodded. "Right this way." The three proceeded down through the temple and out into the courtyard with Father Orillio in the lead followed by Aralius who was pratically carrying both the saddlbags and Madison who clung to his right arm as they walked.
When they finally reached the stables, Aralius was panting from the heat of his chain mail and from the exhaustion of carrying all of their things.
"Here he is. Good 'ol Boco, he was your father's steed for quite some time you know. Until he settled down here with you and your mother, and gave Boco to the church. He should have no problem carrying the two of you, he's a very strong, very fast steed."
Aralius tossed the saddlebags over the chocobos back. Then digging through the one nearest to him his pulled out a black cloak and put it on. "Well, we'd better be off then. I'd like to be off from Aunt Alma's around noonish, and that won't happen unless we get there early." As Madison approached the chocobo Aralius cocked an eyebrow. "That's what you're wearing?"
Madison wore a white, low-cut shirt that pillowed out from the elbows and a pair of shorts that Aralius was convinced must have been riding up in places that weren't at all decent, a pair of low-top boots, and white socks that reached up to her knees. Strapped to her right leg was a long dagger and matching straps appeared on her left leg that seemed to be for decoration.
"What's wrong with what I've got on?" she replied hostily.
"Oh nothing, except you'll freeze when we start riding. The road I'm sure we'll be taking is all coastal and it's late autumn." Madison began to blush and looked down while kicking at the dirt. Father Orillio smiled and placed a hand on Madison's back.
"Have no fear child, I placed a cloak in there for you as well."
Madison squeaked in delight. "Oh Father, you're too good to me!" With that she gave him a hug and ran over to Aralius who was now holding the infamous hidden cloak. Madison put the cloak on then stopped for a moment, realizing she had been duped. "You knew all along!" she squealed, clubbing Aralius in the arm. Aralius grinned and Father Orillio laughed heartily at this as Aralius and Madison mounted their chocobo.
"Be safe Aralius." the priest said as he firmly shook Aralius' hand.
"Don't worry Father, I'll take good care of Madison." And with that, Aralius rode from the stable, off towards Lafos, the town in which his aunt made her residence. As they rode away Father Orillio stood at the gates of the stable and whispered,
"I'd be much more worried as to what could happen to yourself."

Ramza watched his son and Madison ride away from the church from his bed in the tower. Sighing, he silently wished that he could be the one to go, but knew that he would have to help his son in a much different way.
Sign up to rate and review this story