Categories > Original > Romance

The Rose

by lost_in_the_shuffle 0 reviews

After Angel's husband Nathan dies she falls in love with his half brother Harper. But Nathan's dark deeds threaten to destroy all they hold dear.

Category: Romance - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2007-03-06 - Updated: 2007-03-07 - 1694 words - Complete

0Unrated
As Harper ran through the smoke he saw to dark shapes facing each other. To his horror he saw his brother cock his gun at the unarmed man before him. With out thinking Harper raised his gun and shot his brother. As his brother fell, Harper sat up quickly breathing heavily. He closed his eyes in anguish. It was that dream again. The one he had, since he killed his brother in defense of a unarmed man. Before he could get the body, the enemy attacked and he was forced to run. Every night he was tormented by the look on his brother's face as he pulled the trigger. Now he was going to have to tell his brother's wife the bad news. He closed his eyes again as he imagined Angel, he had been in love with her from the first time he had saw her. But she had chosen Nathan. Now she would hate him because of what he had done. Even though he would never tell her that he had actually killed Nathan, she would hate him for failing at his duty to protect his brother. Finally the carriage pulled up to the manor and he stepped out, he saw Angel run down the steps and stop when she saw who it was. "Harper, where is Nathan?" She asked breathlessly. Harper swallowed and said "I'm terribly sorry Angel but Nathan was killed." Angel swayed on her feet, but when he tried to steady her, she pushed his hand away. "You did this," She said backing up quickly. "You killed him," than she turned and ran into the house. Harper closed his eyes in pain until he heard a soft voice say "don't worry Master Harper, my Angel don't mean none of it." He opened his eyes to find Angel's compain Martha standing before him. "She's just in a lot of pain." Nathan started up the stairs than turned back and said to Martha."I know, but she's right. It was my fault." Than he turned and walked up the stairs to the house.

Two days later the will was read, Harper became Earl and Angel realized she had no where to go. Stiffly she said to Harper,"I'll be out of my rooms by tomorrow," than turned to go. Harper stood up quickly "Angel wait please,"he said, " I know that Nathan didn't leave you anything, but he meant for me to take care of you.It's not proper for a unmarried woman to live in a bachelors house widow or no. I'm asking you to marry me,in name only." Angel looked at him in shock,"but what if you find someone you want to marry?" she whispered in shock."Than we'll annul it," Harper said standing up and leading Angel to the door."Now I'm going to the parson to make plans for a wedding, that is if you agree." Angel looked askance for a moment than said "I guess I have no choice as long as it is indeed in name only." Harper nodded his head,"indeed." Than he walked out of the study, leaving Angel looking stunned at what had transpired.

Weeks passed with Harper and Angel growing more comfortable in each other's company. Until the day Angel realized she loved Harper. That night she confessed her love and it ceased to be a marriage in name only. Two months later to the delight of Harper, Angel found out she was pregnant and they were both truly happy. Little did they know that soon their happiness would be shattered.

Angel heard a carriage pull up front, "that must be your daddy" she cooed at four month old Franklin. "He must be home early." Handing Franklin to his nurse she went downstairs to meet her husband. As she descended down the stairs and disturbingly familiar voice said her name. Angel turned white as she stared at Nathan. "I thought you were dead," she whispered. Nathan looked around bemused, " I guess you must have my darling" he said with a sneer in his voice. "It certainly didn't take you long to get over my death did it?" Angel was so shocked she couldn't speak." I would thank you not to speak to my wife like that", Harper's voice broke the silence. Nathan whipped around and shouted "your wife? I think not, I am still legally married to her." He strode over to Harper and said quietly "Shocked to see me dear brother? I'm sure you thought that your bullet had done it's job. But luckily the it didn't, I was carted off to a jail. Where I languished between life and death for months." He turned and looked accusingly at Angel, "months I can see you used to steal my wife away. Now I want you out Harper, as you can see I am well and able to take back my duties." Angel rushed down the steps, "Harper please," she started to say when Nathan grabbed her roughly by the arm." I will not have it be said that my wife is a whore," he hissed in her ear. Harper turned and smiled sadly at Angel, "goodbye Angel" he said than walked down the stairs and got into the waiting carriage.

Months passed and Angel barely saw Harper. Only when he brought their son to see her. As soon as Nathan found out that she had borne Harper a son he banished Franklin from the house as well. Angel put her foot down, demanding to be able to see Franklin when she wanted and Nathan relented, as long as her bastard wasn't living under his roof.Every time she saw Harper he looked at her with the longing and sadness that she felt herself. Than five months after Nathan's reappearance Lord Blair and his wife came to live in their sleepy hamlet. One day Angel was shopping in town when she was stopped by him. "Well Lady Madison what a pleasant surprise" He said stopping her. Angel looked at him in surprise, "I'm sorry sir," she said " do I know you?" He laughed harshly, "no you do not know me," he said "but your husband and his brother do. Very well, in fact." He leaned over and said quietly " I was there when your husband was shot, but for the life of me I can't remember if the person who shot him was wearing red or black." He laughed again and said "well I'm sure it'll come to me." Than he walked away leaving Angel standing there stunned. Quickly she turned and ran to Harper's town house, banging on the door. Harper answered the door "Angel what in the world..." he started to say. But Angel stopped him, "tell me the truth" she whispered. "Did you shoot Nathan?" Harper said horsely reaching for her "yes, but..." Angel backed away from him. "Don't you touch me," She screamed. Than she ran down the steps. Harper sighed wearily and closed the door.

Weeks after the Lord Blair spoke with Angel. Nathan got a urgent message that Harper needed to talk to him.He quickly rode into town and pounded on the door. Harper was coming up the steps and stopped in surprise that his brother was there. "Nathan?" He asked "what are you doing here?" Nathan showed him the message, "I got this a hour ago," he explained. "It says that you needed me urgently." Harper looked at him in shock," Nathan I never sent this." Nathan looked at him in confusion. "But if you didn't who did?" Nathan swore and ran down the steps back to his horse. "Lord Blair" he shouted as he waited for Harper to mount up. "That day you shot me, Lord Blair had tried to ambush me, but I shot the gun out of his hand." Harper stared at Nathan, "why would Lord Blair want to kill you?" He asked accusingly. Nathan looked at Harper ashamed, "because I slept with his wife. Now he is going to get even" Nathan galloped away. "Where is Angel?" Harper shouted. "In the park with Franklin and Martha." Quickly they rode to the park and ran down the path, hearing a woman's screams the ran toward the deserted duck pond. Harper stopped in horror as he saw Lord Blair holding Franklin over the water. "Don't come any closer" Lord Blair shouted," or I'll drop your bastard." Harper looked at Angel sobbing and pleading with Lord Blair to give her Franklin. "Why would you want to hurt the boy?" Nathan asked, "he's not mine. I don't even like him." Lord Blair glared with malice at Nathan." because than your wife will hate you, like mine hates me." He screamed, "she'll look at you the same way mine does at me, with hate and loathing. You ruined my life Madison and now I will ruin yours." Than he turned and tossed Franklin toward the water. Without thought Nathan ran to wards the pond, as Lord Blair pulled out a pistol and aimed to wards him. Harper pulled out his pistol and shot Lord Blair just as he shot at Nathan. The bullet hit Nathan but he still managed to catch Franklin before he hit the water. Lord Blair looked down in surprise at the bullet wound in his chest, than he fell over dead. Harper ran over to Franklin and grabbed him from Nathan. Than handing him to a sobbing Angel, he turned back to his brother. He realized in horror that his brother was dead and he took off his coat, covering Nathan with it. After the police came and took away the bodies, Angel and Harper stood with their arms around each other. "He gave his life for our son," Angel whispered. Harper shook his head, "no he gave his life for more than that. He knew that we were meant to be together and this was the only way." Angel smiled at Harper " I'm sorry I doubted you," She said "I'll never doubt you again." Harper smiled back, "I'll never give you a reason too." He said as they started up the stairs to begin their life together.
Sign up to rate and review this story