Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Wands of the West

Wands of the West

by Arnica

For the Lost in a book challenge. Sparks, fists, and bullets fly as Severus Snape and Hermione Granger are sucked into a magical book on the day of her graduation. With no way out, can they make i...

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: NC-17 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama, Humor, Romance - Characters: Barty Crouch Jr., Dumbledore, Harry, Hermione, Ron, Snape - Warnings: [?] [V] [X] - Published: 2007-03-07 - Updated: 2007-03-08 - 779 words

?Blocked
Wands of the West

For the Lost in a book challenge

By Arnica



Prolouge



"It's a book mate. It's like one of those allegory things Hermione is always on about. Hermione loves books; Hermione's present is a book; Hermione will love her bloody present!" Harry looked away from Ron's smirking face down to the book in his hand. It's cover was tacky, the girl draped across the saddle of a horse in such a way that her voluminous dress and petticoats managed to show more than they hid while the man behind her wore a fierce expression and little else. An expression that looked wrong on a face that looked far too much like Harry's. He yelped, dropping the book as the cover model brushed his hair back to show a scar. A low laugh startled them both.

"I see you've found our newest item." The sales witch leaned down, picking up the book and smirking. "The 'marauding adopted Indian saving the lonely settler woman' look is good for you Mr. Potter." The two seventh years leaned closer to the woman in shock as the woman draped across the horse morphed into the witch holding the book. She cleared her throat as Ron's eyes flickered from the overflowing cleavage on the cover to her own chest.

"What's going on?" Ron winced as his voice strained towards a crack. The witch smiled broadly at them.

"These are our newest line, 'Book Lovers' the interactive romances for witches and wizards. When you open the book to read it, you actually get pulled into the book and experience the storyline to its conclusion. To be read alone or with someone special." The boys stared down at the book and then back at her.

"So, you mean our friend..."

"Yes. She'd sit down, the spell would draw her and a maximum of one other in, and she'd spend a couple of hours of real time experiencing the entire story line, which can range from a couple of days to months long. It's best done over the weekend, as sometimes coming back can be confusing. We've had a few customers say they had an initial moment of disconnection upon return, but no complaints." She placed her hands on their shoulders and steered them towards a large display. "This is a gift correct?" They nodded. "For a young lady? Will either of you two gentlemen be...accompanying her into the story line?" She smiled as they turned bright red and stammered. "Alright, a solo trip for a Hogwarts seventh year, I assume a graduation present, perhaps for Ms. Hermione Granger?"

"How'd you know that?" Harry rolled his eyes and punched Ron's shoulder.

"Ron, did we or did we not just spend the last two weeks across the front page of the Prophet?" He turned his eyes to the woman. "Which do you suggest?"

"Well, I've tried them all," She ignored Ron's gaping stare. "And they're all quite...amazing, but these were my favorites." Harry stared at the books she piled in his arms. Titles like 'Brooms to the Moon', 'Wanted: Tall, Dark, and Undead", and 'Summon the Shide' stared up at him. He laughed as Ron picked one up.

"Siren's Call? You look good in a tail, mate." He went to crack the cover and jumped as the witch slammed her hand down on it.

"Not unless you want to miss your curfew Mr. Potter. I suggest those four and the one you first picked up, 'Wands of the West.' Now, normally, the books are a bit pricy," She named a number that made Ron wince. "But I think I could see to letting them go as a set for, say 50 galleons." Harry pulled out his wallet, following her to the counter.

"That's an awfully big discount. Won't your boss be upset?" The woman laughed, dropping the money into the till.

"Mr. Potter, I am the boss. Although, if you could convince Ms. Granger to write a review of one of the books it wouldn't hurt business any." She bagged the books in deep chocolate brown bag with gold scrollwork, following them to the door. Her hand brushed Ron's sleeve as she leaned close.

"Mr. Weasley?" Harry watched his friend turn three interesting shades of red-all of which clashed interestingly with his hair-as she whispered in his ear before shutting the shop door. They walked back to the main streets of Hogsmead before Harry reached over and poked him in the ribs.

"Well? You gonna tell me what she said?" Ron turned a confused looking grin on him.

"She said she was closing early graduation night, if I wanted to have a nice long read."



Sign up to rate and review this story