Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Just Enough To Love You

Chapter 1 Letter of Truth

by previously_recorded 0 reviews

Long awaited sequel to Pointless Forever...Need I say more?

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: R - Genres: Angst, Drama - Characters: Draco, Harry - Warnings: [!] [X] - Published: 2005-09-17 - Updated: 2005-09-17 - 7626 words

-1OOC
Just Enough To Love You

Chapter 1 Letter of Truth

Push me out from the darkness
To a sky that's colored blue
Somewhere someone's finding happiness
While I'm still here so hung up on you



Harry's hand was shaking as he sat there with the paper still firmly clutched in his hand. Who knows how long he had just been sitting in that comfortable chair in his apartment. Was it hours? Days? Time didn't even seem real anymore. It's not like it had for awhile now though...Not since six months ago when the one he loved the most had left him. Though it had begun to start again, but now...now it seemed like he had gone all the way back to the beginning. Wasn't that the point though? Wasn't he supposed to go back to the beginning?

His eyes traveled back to the finely scrawled print the letter was written in, and each one of the words seemed to bounce around in his head, driving him mad with indecision. What did it all mean? Hadn't he just talked to Dumbledore about this? Hadn't the kind hearted man told him it could not be done? Then why...why did this get sent to him? Was it to torment him? Was it some scheme to make him even more insane trying to decide whether or not this could be real? Tanned hands traced over the ink, feeling the small impressions that the pen had made.

Does it hurt at night when you're there all alone in your room? It doesn't have to be so. There are still many possible futures Harry. Go back and help ensure that the future you make is good for all. Say the incantation and drink the potion. Go back to a time where a choice you made changed something. Save yourself from the dark.

Those words, so simple in meaning, did their best in crashing down the barely stable world around him. A dark periwinkle liquid glowed in the potion vial next to his bed. It had come with this little letter, and the both of them had slowly taken over his life. With shaky hands he grabbed at the bottle next to the bed. In truth his hands were shaking so badly that he almost let it be dropped and shattered across the ground.

Gritting his teeth, Harry willed himself to keep it together. He had done so before, and he would be damned if he fell apart now. Not when he had just learned about this...Not when he was so close to finding his answers. This had been the chance he had been searching for, so why now was he so nervous? Was it something Dumbledore had said? Was that why he couldn't seem to keep his hand from shaking?

He opened his mouth once, but no words would form. 'Take a deep breath' he told himself. If he just relaxed this would be over before he knew it. Concentrating on the spell, he allowed the words to roll of the end of his tongue. "Neem me terug naar een tirgd waar de toekomist werd besilist." Magic started to flow around him as he continued the spell. "Neem me aan ergens niemand anders het weet." Green energy seemed to rise up from the floorboard, and he shut his eyes to heighten his concentration. "Neem me aan de plaats waar de weg verdeeld is. Neem medie voor de toekomist van plan is te groeien." There was no turning back now. The incantation had already been read. Uncorking the lid to the potion, Harry tipped his head back, and drank.
~~ FlAsHbAcK ~~
~ 3 days earlier ~

"We don't need to be hearing these outrages lies. Do you really expect us to believe that the Dark Lord had a son?" Harry scowled at the panel of judges he was facing. He couldn't believe that he had been talked into doing this. Though it's not like he had a choice. It was either go to this ridiculous trial, or be sent away to jail. It's not like he cared either way, but Hermione had forced him to come.

This so-called trial that he was currently at was over the death of Voldemort, Silas, and of Draco himself. The wizarding world was chaotic after they heard the news, and were pretty much trying to do anything possible to place the blame on someone else's shoulders. Ergo they were trying to blame the entire thing on him.

Now he pretty much thought the whole lot of them were cowards, but he still had to go through all of this nonsense. However, that didn't mean he had to be nice about it. "Listen I don't give a damn what you believe. What I say is the truth. Silas was Voldemort's child. He murdered Draco Malfoy, and then I killed him. Lucius Malfoy killed Voldemort. What else is there to know?" They had been at this for an hour, and yet they still seemed to be asking him the exact same questions.

The committee broke into whispers at that, and begrudgingly Harry tried not to sneer. Finally a very boisterous looking man with fat chubby legs, and what looked remarkably like whispers, stood up to address him. "Yes there is something we would like to know. Why is it that you were in league with Voldemort all last year? I've seen the mark on your arm. Why is it that you joined the other side?"

His arm twitched at that, and he slightly raised up his robe to stare at the ugly mark that was burned into his skin. "As I told you before I was blackmailed into joining the other side. My friends' lives were threatened, and I had no choice but to do what Silas asked."

This trial was really starting to grate on his nerves. He had barely talked to anyone in the last month, let alone made public appearances. Yet he was hear in front of a committee of at least 50 trying to justify the travesties of the previous year. Even though he knew in his heart of hearts that no justification could be made. It had all been his fault. Everything had been his fault.

"Oh now love don't start that again." Harry shut his eyes, willing the voice to go away. Why did this have to happen now? He couldn't deal with this now. Not in front of all these people. He knew there was no way around it though. He knew that he would have to face the one person he longed to see more than all others, and yet in some ways wished he would never have to see again. Not like this at least.

Draco sat on the side of the chair right next to him, steadily drumming his well manicured fingers on the side of the podium. This wasn't real. This was just in his head. It had been happening to him all summer. First he would just see the blond, and then his illusions had become more real. Soon he had began to actually hear him speak. If he didn't know that the fact that he could see and hear his old lover made him completely crazy, he might actually be relieved that he was there. After all even if he was just seeing him in such a manner, at least he was still seeing him.

He couldn't like it now though, because now he had to watch everything he did. Harry really didn't think this stuck up committee would think to kindly of him if he just started talking to himself. 'Go away' He said over and over in his head, and for a moment he thought it might have actually worked. That is until Draco started speaking again of course. "Why would I go away? I get to watch you squirm in that seat trying to answer all of those awful questions." Well it seemed that this phantom Malfoy could read his thoughts, so at least he wouldn't look as crazy.

'You're not real. You're just an illusion in my head.' He repeated this over and over, and tried to once again concentrate on the panel of judges.

It didn't work though, because Draco was as bratty as usual. "Well you're right about that at least. But then again if you're seeing me, then that's gotta tell you a little bit about your state of mind now doesn't it?" He tried to not think about how right the blond had been with that statement, and looked at whiskered judge once again. He was pretty sure he had just asked another question.

"I'm sorry, what was that?" Well that probably wasn't the wisest choice on his part. Here he was in a trial trying to defend his innocence, and he actually had to ask him to restate the question.

The burly man cleared his throat, obviously annoyed with having to repeat himself. "I asked you why you wouldn't try to contact Dumbledore, or an auror about your situation."

Harry gasped as a hand that felt much too real for his liking ghosted across his cheek to and turned his head slightly to face him. "I've been wondering that too...Why didn't you tell the good ole headmaster what Silas was up to?"

He shut his eyes and counted to ten, willing that terribly familiar touch away. "I didn't tell anyone because Silas was spying on me the entire time, because Draco..." Harry stopped. His stomach was becoming queasy just thinking about it, and he was really starting to regret his decision on coming here. It hadn't been what he was meaning to say, but he knew that must want an answer, so he finished with. "Because I didn't want to put Draco Malfoy in any danger."

A woman stood up that he immediately recognized as Amelia Bones. "Surely you must have know that if we knew we could have protected him. We could have protected all of the people that were threatened."

A dripping sound could be heard, and when Harry turned to examine it he saw exactly where that noise was coming from. To his horror Draco was picking at his wrists where there were still two open sores, and blood was trickling down each of them. This only further reminded him how false that statement the woman had made really was.

"Is that right? Then tell me your honor, why is it he died when Dumbledore knew about the whole thing? If this ministries power could really protect the people I care about, then why is he lying in a coffin right now?" Damn, he had lost his temper. He had promised himself he wasn't going to do that.

Silence had engulfed the room after his outburst, and minutes seemed to tick by before the whiskered man spoke up. "So you did tell the proper authorities about this whole matter?"

"No sir I didn't. Draco Malfoy told Dumbledore everything." Why did he have to say that. Now that was only going to lead to more inevitable questions.

Murmurs were heard throughout the court room as this information was digested, and it was only a matter of time before that certain question was asked. "How was is that Mr. Malfoy knew of the affair in the first place?"

Emerald eyes shut tight. That was the question he knew would come, and yet he had no idea how to go about answering it. That sickeningly familiar touch once more was laid on his skin. "Go ahead baby, tell them. Tell them the real reason I knew about everything that went down. Smear my name...It'll be fun. Besides what do I need a reputation for? I'm already dead."

His hand had begun to shake as he clenched in viciously in his lap. Should he tell them the truth? Despite Draco's encouragement he thought that he might be betraying the blond by telling them the absolute truth. "Mr. Potter we asked you a question. Please tell the court why is that Draco Malfoy knew of this matter?"


Harry's knee bounced up and down as he wrestled with his indecision. Finally his eyes snapped open as he chose his course of action, which was of course to lie through his teeth. "He knew because I told him about it. It was all my fault!" He hadn't meant to raise his voice, and by the looks of most of the committee they seemed to be just as surprised as he was. "I got him involved in all of this due to our relationship, and I ended up getting him killed because of my selfishness. He's dead because he tried to protect me. Do whatever it is you want with me, but I'm done answering questions." He was to. As soon as the words left his mouth he jumped up from the podium, and headed over to the doors. No one protested. In fact no one seemed to be able to move after his spectacle.

Sure he could have told them the truth. Told them that Draco used to be a disgusting human being who conspired with a psychopath to try to take over the wizarding world, but really what good would it do? What he said hadn't been a complete lie anyways. He had gotten the blond involved, and because of his involvement he had also gotten him killed.

As soon as he was in the hall he immediately apparated back to his apartment. He had gotten his license over the summer, and now tried to ignore the disgusting feeling of being pushed through a tube every time he used it. He had also gotten his apartment over the summer, right after he had turned 17 in fact. It wasn't much, just a small loft in the middle of London, but it did it's purpose in giving him relief from both the Dursley's and the wizarding world. It also helped him now as he stripped down to his boxers and collapsed into bed. This really had been a hellish day, but he was supposed to go visit Ron tomorrow, and he needed all the rest he could get for when he went to St. Mugos.
~~ EnD oF fLaShBaCk ~~

The potion burned as it coursed down his throat. It felt like as it went down it was actually melting ever single organ it touched, and so soon his insides would be nothing but goo. He had never felt anything so painful in his life. It was like the liquid version of the cruciatus curse. In fact he was pretty sure a scream ripped through his throat as the battery acid melted his insides. Oh his neighbors would just love that! He'd worry about it more, really he would, if this existence wasn't going to be altered in like two seconds...Or at least that's what he hoped.

He tried to clear his thoughts so that he would be able to focus on the event he wanted to go back to. He had had it clearly pictured in his head. His reasoning was that if Voldemort had never come back into power, than none of the previous year would have happened, Sirius wouldn't have been killed, but most importantly Silas would have no reason to kill Draco, and Draco would have no reason to betray Silas. It wasn't much, but it was the best he could come up with on such short notice, and this way hopefully he wouldn't have messed up too many lives in the process. It was only a three years difference after all. Nothing all the serious could happen in just three years...right?

Harry's thoughts were almost lost as another wave of pain shot through him, and he was sure with that one that he definitely cried out. Then the strangest thing happened. The pain faded, and with the pain so did everything else. His walls started to blur as the feeling throughout his body dissipated, and all that was left was nothing. He was in infinite blackness, and the world before didn't even seem to exist anymore. It was like with this decision he was rewriting a whole different world entirely.

The blackness soon started to fill with shades of color, and those colors started to form shapes. Soon it seemed he was back in the real world, although it seemed almost like a painting. The scenery was slowly being filled in one tree and blade of grass at a time, and the picture was getting clearer and clearer. Perhaps soon he might be able to discern where he actually was. This picture he was entered into had to finish itself eventually.

Harry's eyes widened when the picture did come into focus, and he immediately recognized his surroundings. He was on the Quidditch field, only this Quidditch field happened to have a huge maze grown on top of it.

So he was in fourth year again. It almost seemed too strange to be real. Then again he didn't know why he was all that surprised by this fact. It's not as if weird things weren't a daily occurrence in this life of his. Still even for his level of weirdness this was a bit strange. He wasn't complaining though. If he was back in fourth year than that meant the spell had worked, and he was just one step closer to getting back the one he loved.

Now that he was back here though a scary thought occurred to him. He had no idea the rules on this sort of thing. How was he supposed to change time anyhow? Could he talk to the people here? Could he take over their bodies? Could the people of this time see him? Where the hell was Hermione when you needed her? She would be sure to have known all those questions and more. Oh well, it's not as if he could go back and study now. Besides, he always found that the easiest method for figuring out how to do something was trial and error. Though he prayed that this time he would leave the error part. He couldn't afford to screw up. Countless lives were depending on him, and he would be damned if he let them down over his dumb mistake.

Grabbing his wand out of his back pocket, Harry headed into the maze. Their was a roaring crowd in the stands watching, and so he knew it was during the third task. Therefore he knew exactly where to go. The events that happened were still burned clearly in his mind, and he thought he could reach the center with his eyes closed if he really wanted to.

A high pitched scream could be heard reverberating through the stands, and he immediately recognized it as Fleur. That means that Viktor would be making his way towards Cedric as they neared the center. Harry was catching up with them, and prayed he would make it on time. He had to make it on time. He had to get there before either himself or Cedric touched that trophy.

As he ran towards the center red shots were shot up right in front of him, and he knew he was close. He turned right and passed Viktor's stunned body. He had to be right behind them. As he rounded the last corner he drew back. There in front of him was his younger self helping up an injured Cedric. Now that really was just some sight to see.

~~ FlAsHbAcK ~~


~ 2 Days Earlier ~

That clean disinfectant smell that seemed to fill every hospital creped into his nostrils as his boots clicked on the tile floor. He had always hated this place, and yet this practically the only place he would visit since the tragedy. He supposed it had something to do with Ron's rehabilitating memory. Ron couldn't remember what happened, hell he didn't even know who Draco was, and therefore couldn't try to force him to talk about it like so many others had. Could they not except that maybe he didn't want to talk about it. It, which was the most devastating event in his life. Why would they want him to talk about it, because it definitely didn't help. In fact all it seemed to do was make him more depressed than he already was, if that were possible.

After making it to the right floor, his hand rapped lightly on his friends door. He was greeted with a 'come in' and so hastily he stepped inside. Harry was almost forced to smile as he looked around the redhead's temporary living quarters. It seemed that Mr. and Mrs. Weasley had just about moved his entire bedroom here. The whole room was a bright orange that practically burned you eyeballs out because all of his Chudley Cannon memorabilia plastered the walls. That, and then there were of course the countless pictures of him and Hermione together. They made such a cute couple, but Harry had to admit that it pained his heart to see them so happy. How selfish was that? His friends had finally found some peace, and he was resentful for it.

Harry had always found it odd how they had just gotten back together as if nothing had ever happened between them. Even if Ron had fell in love with her, the person Hermione had loved was in essence not even there anymore. He had asked her once about it, and she had responded with "Of course he's still the same Ron. Sure he may act different, but he still has the same soul. He still has the one I love's soul." That answer had haunted his thoughts a lot, and he wondered that if given that choice he could possibly make the same decision.

Speaking of the happy couple, both Hermione and Ron were sitting on the bed, and from the way they were both straightening out their clothes Harry would take a bet that they weren't just talking. "Harry!" Hermione's usual jovial voice filled his ears, and he gave her a small smile. He'd come to the realization that if he smiled, even if it wasn't real, that they usually kept the 'oh how are you?' questions down to a minimum. "How was the trial?"

His eyes settled onto where Ron's arm was wrapped around her waist, and it was only after a moment that he realized he was staring. "Oh it was fine...Well as fine as a trial like that can be I guess." Who was he kidding? It wasn't fine at all. It was miserable, and he was surprised they hadn't come to lock him up after his performance. "So have you got all of your books and stuff for Hogwarts?"

Hogwarts...Just the name sent a pain through him. He had decided not to go this year. If he did he feared it would just be too painful, and he didn't think he could stand to be around so many people with how he was now. He wasn't the only one that was missing their final year though. Ron also wouldn't be going back this year. That of course wasn't due to bad memories though. No, it was more due to lack there of. Actually it seemed that of their little tripod Hermione would be in fact the only one returning.

"Yes...I got those ages ago. School does start in a week after all." She had seemed happy, really she had, but then her face took on a much more grim appearance. "There's still no way I can convince you to go back?"

His face turned stern. How many times had they had this exact conversation? It was really starting to be too many to count, and it certainly too many to have continue to have patience for. "Hermione drop it." They had been his thoughts, but had come from Ron. Apparently he too knew how much she pestered him over the topic.

"Harry it's just if you don't continue you'll never be able to become an auror. It's one thing to take awhile to get over the matter, but Harry you're giving up hope." He glared at the girl, and would have yelled at her, had someone else not interrupted.

"Hermione stop being such a bitch." They both turned surprised eyes towards Ron, who was working on eating one of his care packages from Mrs. Weasley. "You shouldn't be so cynical to actually think you know what's best for him. You didn't go through what he did. You have no idea what he's feeling right now. Just leave him alone."

Wow...Not that he wasn't completely grateful for it, but even he had to admit that that was a little harsh. Hermione looked as if she had just been slapped in the face, but she kept her mouth shut. The couple was exchanging heated glances, and Harry was starting to feel like a third wheel. "Guys it was really great to see you, but I'm feeling kinda tired. I think I'm just going to go back to my place and take a nap." Did he sound pathetic of what? It was like 3:00 and he was complaining about being tired. Really that couldn't be farther from the truth, because not only was he not tired, but he had been having a case of insomnia for quite awhile now.

Of course to his idea, both parties interjected immediately. "Harry you can't! You just got here mate...I never get to see you." He gave Ron a small smile. It was really quite odd how he had clung to him even though he had no recollection of who he was. It seemed that their friendship could withstand even the fact that one of the member's didn't remember the other.

"I'm sorry Ron...Hermione...It's just that trial took a lot out of me, and I don't really feel up to socializing now." They looked about ready to protest again, but he finalized the deal. "I'll see you guys later alright." With a wave he walked out of the room, not even bothering to listen to their good-byes. He realized that he was a terrible friend, but he just couldn't deal with their good-natured happiness right now. Not when inside he still felt like he was dying. He was half way down the hall when a voice stopped him.

"Harry wait!" He took a deep breath, before turning around to face his red headed friend. Why had he followed him? Usually it was Ron that understood the most about his want to normally be alone. His eyes traveled to the wrapped up package in his arms. Had Ron bought him a present?

"Oh Ron you shouldn't have...Usually it's the fit that bring the sick a gift, not the other way around." Ron looked confused, but then he glanced down to the package in his hand and seemed to realize just what he was going on about.

"Sorry mate, but I'm not the one that did it." He stared perplexed down at the gift before handing it over. "Some girl came into my room and asked me to give it to you the next time I saw you."

The seemingly innocent package got a foreboding feeling around it, and Harry stared down at the small thing in wonder. "Some girl?" His eyes rose to meet Ron's. "What did she look like?"

Ron shook his head in dismay. "Nah...She had a cloak over her head, but I have a feeling she was very beautiful." His eyes traveled inwards, obviously thinking about the mysterious stranger. "Beautiful...but sad." The redhead seemed to snap out of his world, and he smiled at Harry. "There is one thing I can tell you about her though. She had the most amazing eyes. They were golden, and they almost seemed to glow." Harry raised an eyebrow. So a girl with golden eyes wanted to give a present? Who was she, and why had Ron described someone he hadn't even seen the face of, let alone talked to, as sad? He sighed in resignation. The better question was what could possibly be next?
~~ EnD oF fLaShBaCk ~~

Harry spied on the conversation had heard how he had valiantly offered for them both to take the trophy. If he didn't do something soon they would both be traveling to the graveyard again. "On three right?" He heard himself say. "One-two-" In a panic Harry pulled out his wand.

"Stupify!" He called out, stunning his younger self in the back. Cedric looked startled and raised his wand to shoot whoever had attacked them, but then upon seeing who it was his eyes widened and he lowered it in shock.

"What the hell's going on?" His voice cracked in astonishment, and really Harry didn't blame him. It would be a shock to anyone's system. "Is that you Harry?" His head was frantically shaking in disbelief. "How can you be in two places at once? Is this just some plan to win the tournament or something?"

Well now he's done it. He had let somebody see him, and now he was going to try to explain his tricky predicament. Though he had to say he kind of felt a sense of joy seeing Cedric again, or rather seeing him alive. "No, Cedric." He started. "This isn't some rues to win." Harry hesitated, but then figured that he really didn't have a choice in the matter. "I'm from the future...three years in the future to be precise."

"The...The future!?" Cedric sputtered. "You can't be serious? Do you really expect me to believe that you came here from the future?"

He took a small step forward, being cautious the whole time. "I know it's a lot to take in, but you have to listen to me. This tournament was rigged. There's a plot going on here...A plot to bring Voldemort back."

Cedric flinched at the name. His eyes were now widened in shock and staring forward, but they didn't seem to be seeing anything. "The Dark Lord? But he's dead! How can they possibly bring him back?"

"Well it's a long story, but the gist of it is they use me and an ancient magic." He made his way over to his younger self, still baffled by seeing him. "Barty Crouch Jr. is the perpetrator behind these crimes. He kidnapped Mad Eyed Moody, and has been impersonating him this entire year. He rigged this entire tournament, including putting my name in the goblet. The trophy there is really a portkey to the graveyard where Voldemort's father is buried."

"That can't be possible." Cedric began to shake, and rubbed harshly at his skin. "There's no way Dumbledore would let that happen" He turned to him. "Or you. You would stop it."

Flashes of Cedric lifeless in the graveyard flashed before his eyes, and an avalanche of guilt flooded through him. "Yeah well I didn't...Not this time. This time I barely managed to get out alive."

The blond looked like he was going to be sick, and his skin was a pale starchy color. But then after a moment he seemed to get a hold of himself, and looked up to Harry completely calm. "What must I do?" A fond smile spread across his face. You had to respect Cedric Diggory. Despite what he had just heard, he was completely ready to help.

Harry's wand rose in the air, and he shot up red sparks from the tip. "Someone will be coming soon. I want you to tell them all you know, and I want you to make sure to apprehend as many death eaters as you can. Don't tell this to just anyone though. You have to tell this to Dumbledore. You can trust him." Taking in a deep breath, Harry pulled a small dagger out of his pocket. It was a small memento that he carried with him everywhere. It was the dagger that had pierced Silas's heart all those months ago. "If he doesn't trust you tell him about me." He handed over the dagger. "He'll believe you if you give him this." A tingling feeling started to travel through him, and he looked down at his hands to see that they were starting to disappear.

"What's happening to you?" Cedric stared on in awe. "It looks like you're starting to fade." He was, because as they spoke the future was changing. His body wouldn't exist anymore. He heard voices in the distance, and he could recognize one of them as McGonagall's. Cedric would be fine if she were coming. He wouldn't have to worry of Crouch getting to him first.

"Thank you Cedric. You're really a better person than I could ever be. I don't suppose we'll ever see each other again so I just wanted to tell you that." A thought occurred to him as he was almost by this point transparent. "And Cedric please don't mention me to anyone but Dumbledore. Promise me you'll do that."

Harry's eyes widened as everything up to his shoulders had evaporated. Everything was starting to go dark, but he distinctly thought he heard the words. "I promise Harry." Before everything faded entirely. He had done it, and he only hoped the future that he had created was better than the present one. He could only hope that he made a difference.

~~ FlAsHbAcK ~~


~ 1 Day Earlier~

That night he dreamt of the sun. He dreamt of it in all its glory, and at the last second it broke apart into two. Those two orbs of light seemed to be staring at him, and that that sheer brightness began to fade until the world was dark and all you could see were those still dimly globes. He tried to reach out to them, but every time he got close that would seem even further off. It was beautiful in its own right, and yet at the same time it made him feel like crying over the whole matter. When all the hope of reaching those orbs seemed to fade his eyes snapped open.

Due to his mild case of insomnia he hardly ever got any sleep, and if he did it was only one or two hours a night, but when he woke up he could tell without even glancing at the clock that it was already at least midday. It was like that dream had acted as his own personal sedative, and left him to wake up feeling more rejuvenated than he felt for quite some time. He felt like he could tackle the world...or at least the package lying on his coffee table that he had been putting off opening.

He walked over to his refrigerator, doing his best to rub the sleep out of his eyes as he did so. It was almost 2:30 and his stomach was growling from not having been fed in so long. Harry almost laughed when he glanced inside. There was a jug of orange juice, one package of cheese, and a bottle of ketchup. Yeah you could definitely tell he ordered out most of the time, that is the times he actually decided to eat. This wasn't one of those times, so, shaking his head, he settled just for the orange juice.

Plopping down on his couch, Harry made a grab for the package. Really he didn't know why he was putting off opening it so much. He just had a bad feeling about it is all. His fingers started at the tape and opened the edges. As soon as he did a bottle rolled out that was filled with what looked to be a potion. Shrugging, he riffled through the rest of it and found that there was only just a note left. When his eyes scanned the note though, that orange carton fell from his hand and splattered his wood floors with juicy pulp. He had to see Dumbledore, and he had to see him now!
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Harry had sent Hedwig out with an urgent note asking Dumbledore to come to his apartment immediately. Since then he had frantically pacing back on forth around his flat, willing the sickness in his stomach to go away. Was that note really about what he thought it was? Could there truly be a way to change the past?

He was so caught up in his own thoughts that he almost missed it when Dumbledore apparated right behind him. Well he shouldn't say almost. He did miss him apparate, and was only made aware of the fact when in his line pacing he ran smack dab into the ancient wizard. "Dumbledore! Thank God you came....This..." He held the note out with shaky hands for the old man to take. "I received this, and I want you to tell me precisely what it means."

Strong hands took the paper out of his trembling ones, and Harry watched as Dumbledore examined it from under his half moon spectacles. He didn't react the same as he had. There was no gasping, or eyes widened in half fright half excitement. As a matter of fact the only inclination he gave that the note affected him in any whatsoever was a soft 'hmm' muttered under his breath.

Never being much of a patient person, when Harry could no longer take the drawn out silence he felt compelled to interrupt. "What does it mean Dumbledore? Does it mean I can change what happened last year? Does it mean I can save Draco!?"

At fist the man didn't say anything, but then after a few moments of stagnant silence he motioned towards the furniture. "Why don't you sit down Harry." Not seeing the harm in it, Harry sank into his arm chair, leaving the man the couch. His knee bounced up and down in anticipation, and if Dumbledore didn't answer him soon he might have to jump up and start pacing again. "Who sent you the letter?"

Why was he asking him such trivial matters when so much was at stake? "I dunno...Ron said some girl dropped it by his room to give to me." He said that as quickly as possible, still continuing to stare at Dumbledore for answers. But he had a feeling that the seasoned wizard was bound and determined to make him wait.

Dumbledore seemed lost in his thoughts, and when he finally did speak practically fell out of the chair in surprise. "You asked me if it was possible to save Mr. Malfoy, and the answer is yes." At hearing those words a huge smile cracked his face, and he almost jumped out of his chair to dance the jig, that is until the next word. "But you will also be changing everything else along with it. Muggles use the term butterfly effect, and what that means is for every action you take there are infinite futures that could come about." He paused to let that sink in. "So yes you might be able to save young Malfoy's life, but in the process could kill countless others."

His throat closed upon hearing that, and he found it almost impossible to swallow. So if he chose to change the past, everyone's future would be changed as well. He wouldn't just be changing one event. He'd be changing the entire world. "But if I change something...if I change it for the better, than it's possible that everyone's lives would be better as well. If I saved Draco it wouldn't necessarily have to kill people, not if I change things for the better."

Harry was mildly aware that he was talking franticly by this time, but it didn't matter. He had just found a way to possibly save the one he loved, and he would let nothing stand in the way of his happiness. He needed this. He would die without it!

If Dumbledore noticed his near crazed expression he didn't show it. In fact he looked at his almost calmly. "That is true Harry, but then again you never know. You may pick an event that you're almost positive will shape the world in a better life, and then find out that the reality we're living in is much better."

Tears grated at his eyes, and harshly shook his head back and forth. He refused to accept this criticism. He refused to let Dumbledore say what was probably true. "How can that be? How can any reality without Draco here beside me possibly be better?"

To try to get him to relax, Dumbledore laid a comforting hand over his own. "Have you thought about this Harry-Even if you somehow make a future where Mr. Malfoy is still alive, he won't be the same as he was in this reality. He wouldn't have gone through the same experiences that shaped the young man that was alive in this future. So in essence it won't even be your Draco that you'll be running back to. Could you deal with the fact that you might have ruined countless people's lives over a different person entirely than the one you fell in love with?"

Spasms racked through his spine, and his eyes widened at just the thought. Not his Draco? The idea had never occurred to him, but now that he heard it he realized it could be so. But what did that matter? Draco would still be...He would still be... "He would be alive! Sure he might not be the same. Sure he might have no feelings whatsoever for me. But he would still be breathing, which is more than I can say for this reality!"

Dumbledore let out a sigh, and Harry could see a deep sadness behind those eyes. "I'm not going to take the spell away from you Harry, but I believe that you'll do what you know in you heart is right to do." His voice sounded deflated and disapproving, and Harry felt some anger stir in the pit of his stomach.

"Yeah, and what would that be?" Dumbledore got up from his seat, and made his way towards the door.

"It's not for me to say my boy, but tell me- Do you really think it's up to you to decide on so many other people's lives? Do you think you should be the one to play-for lack of a better word-God, over people and decided which future you think is best for them?"

His mouth shot open to answer, but as it did he realized he didn't have one. Dumbledore seemed to realize this, for he just held out his hand, allowing Harry to shake it. "I hope to see you soon Harry, and I know in my heart that you'll do the right thing, as you always do." He tipped bowler hat towards him. "Good-bye my boy." With that said he apparated out of the apartment. Leaving Harry with his much confused thoughts.
~~ EnD oF fLaShBaCk ~~


Harry's eyes snapped open when what sounded like a blood curdling scream filled his ears. Startled he jumped up, but didn't get very far, because he seemed to be chained to the wall. What the hell was going on? Emerald eyes scanned his surroundings, and found that he was in some dingy dank dungeon.

The walls leaked, and musty smell filled the air. That wasn't the only smell that seemed to perfume the air. There was also the distinct coppery smell of fresh blood stinging his nostrils. What was this place, and why in world was he here?

A scream threatened to rip from his throat when he saw that right beside him was a rotting corpse. He had to hold back the bile that almost spewed from his mouth as he recognized just who the dead body was. Zacharias Smith...He was much thinner and haggard looking, but there was no denying it.

"Harry what's the matter?" His head spun towards the voice, and saw that it was from Blaise Zabini. After the brunette had said that, he looked down to his own shackled hands, adding dejectedly. "Well besides everything that is."

He tore forward, going as far as his chains would allow. If he stretched hard enough he could just reach Blaise's dirty shirt collar. "Blaise what the hell is going on here? Where are we?"

Blaise looked confused, and a more than a little worried. "What are you talking about Harry? You know where we are. We've been in this hell hole for the past year and a half." A year and a half? Harry placed a hand over his face, willing that this couldn't possibly be true. He thought clicking his shoes and saying 'there's no place like home' but he didn't think that that would really cut it here.

"Where's here Zabini?" He let go of the shirt collar and sank to the cold stone floor. Even though he dreaded the answer, it didn't change the fact that he needed one.

"In the dungeon Harry. The dungeon in Silas's castle." This time he couldn't hold back throwing up. That couldn't be real! That was impossible! His eyes got cloudy as he fell forward in a dead faint, hoping beyond hope that he didn't asphyxiate on his own vomit.
,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.


A.N- I did it! I finally wrote the first chapter! It's a couple days late, but I did it regardless. So what did you think? Was the first chapter worth the wait? Do you like where the story's going? I would really love to hear from you guys. Feedback would be most appreciative. I'll update as soon as possible, and with the update will post the answers to any questions you guys might have. Thanks for reading!
Sign up to rate and review this story