Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Light of Hope

The Zoo

by Lissa 3 reviews

One word, so many consequences. One change, so many outcomes. The life of Harry Potter and his twin sister, Hope, revered by the Wizarding World as the Twins Who Lived.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: G - Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama - Characters: Dudley, Harry, Petunia Dursley, Vernon Dursley - Warnings: [!!] [?] - Published: 2007-03-12 - Updated: 2007-03-13 - 2540 words

2Insightful
Disclaimer: I own nothing you recognize. You can try to sue me, but you won't get much. I wouldn't bother.


Light of Hope
Chapter Two: The Zoo


Hope Lily Potter opened her eyes in the cupboard under the stairs at Number 4, Privet Drive and sighed. She had been having such a lovely dream, in which she was attending a school called Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. She often had such dreams, but lately, the dreams seemed to be much more vivid, and precise. Today, her dream had ended right before she opened a letter addressed in a very strange manner.

She felt for and nudged her brother, lying on the floor below her cot. Hope had once again lost the argument that had been a part of the twin's bedtime routine for years: change into Dudley's vastly oversized pajamas, have a mild fight about the sleeping arrangement and go to sleep, Hope on the cot and Harry on the floor with most of the moth-eaten blankets.

Harry James Potter woke at his sister's shaking, and glanced at his watch, one that had grown too small for Dudley's fat wrist. It blinked seven o'clock. He yawned, then dutifully put his head back under the blanket. He and Hope had been sharing a bedroom--well, it was actually more of a closet, but still--since before either of them could remember, but she had, in the past month or so, become very modest.

"You can come out now," his sister informed him, and he emerged from the blanket and searched for a pair of socks. Hope kept her things in a crate, but he didn't bother.

"Did you dream?" he asked. He knew she had, but he didn't know what she had dreamed.

"Yes. About that school again. Hogwarts."

Harry found his socks under the bed and pulled them on. "And..." he prompted.

"And... It was wonderful, and I could see, not just through you, but through me, and...and..." She broke off, then said, "It's just so hard, dreaming and seeing, then waking up. If I didn't dream-see, I wouldn't know what I miss, but I do, and it's always torn away...

"The dream ended just before I could open a letter addressed: 'Hope Potter, The Cupboard Under the Stairs, Four, Privet Drive, Little Winging, Surrey'. You had one too--except yours was for 'Harry Potter, The Cupboard Under the Stairs, Four, Privet Drive, Little Winging, Surrey'."

Harry waited, and when it appeared that Hope was finished, he squeezed her hand. "Maybe your dreams will come true, someday," he said gently. Hope was never at her most optimistic in the morning.

"Meanwhile we either slave for the Dursleys or sit here in this cupboard." Hope said, a sour note of despair in her voice. "It's not normal, and it's not right, no matter what they say."

"We'll get out of here someday. Meanwhile, lets go cook breakfast. 'Ickle Didder's birthday today," Harry's horrible imitation of their Aunt Petunia brought a grin to Hope's face and the pair set out of the cupboard to the kitchen.

Harry and Hope worked in whispered conversation. Harry cooked while Hope set the table then washed the dishes as Harry used them. Early morning was one of the only times they had to talk privately, not that they didn't find other ways to talk.

Hope's ears, keener that Harry's, picked up the light pattering of their aunt's footsteps in the upstairs hall.

\\Harry? She's awake.//

\Oh joy./

\\Are you almost done?//

\Pretty much./

\\Hurry. I still have to pour the drinks.//

\I made the orange juice. It's just to the left of the sink./

\\Thanks.//

Ever since the night that Vernon--Hope refused to think of him as Uncle Vernon--had hurt Harry so badly, the twins had discovered that if they directed their thoughts towards the other, they would be heard. Hope had also been able to slip behind Harry's eyes, to see what he saw, and sense where he was, within a short distance. That was convenient if they were on a flat sidewalk , with few obstacles, but if Hope didn't know the terrain, or there were a lot of things to get in the way, she put her hand on Harry's shoulder and guided herself that way.

After she cried on Harry, Hope had slept for six and a half days. She had awoken to find that the only evidence about that night was a thick, knotted scar on Harry's back, one that looked as it had been healed for months. As far as she knew, it never gave him any pain, and she thought that she would be able to tell. The best thing that came of the incident was that neither of them had been beaten again, struck, yes, but never whipped, and never anything very serious.

Hope's own scars were only slightly raised and almost normal in color.

"Boy! Get Dudder's presents from the hall closet, and put them on the table!"

Hope heard Harry sight mentally.

\Would it kill her to use our names once in a while?/

\\Probably not, but she doesn't want to chance it. She might keel over, and them where would her 'Ickle Diddikins' be?//

Harry smirked. Mentally, of course. His connection with Hope was a good way to vent while making sure his face looked perfectly calm.

Carrying in all of his cousin's presents took several trips, and some of them were heavy. Harder was finding enough room for them on the table. He had to set some of the larger ones on the floor.

\And the grand total is...thirty seven./

\\Spoiled Brat.//

\My sentiments... Looks like he got a new racing bike. And a new computer. And video games for the computer. And-/

\\I've said it before and I shall say it again: Spoiled Brat.//

\...and here he comes./

"How many presents are there?





\I dreamed last night,/ Harry said suddenly. They were in the car, on the way to the zoo. Usually Hope and Harry were sent off to stay with a batty old lady named Mrs. Figg on Dudley's birthday while Dudley and a friend went out for the day, but Mrs. Figg had recently broken her leg. No one else was available, and the Dursleys refused to leave the twins alone in the house, fearing that they would find it in ruins. So Harry and Hope found themselves in the back seat of the Dursley's car along with Dudley's friend, Piers Polkiss. Since Dudley took up over half of the seat by himself, there was no was no way that both Harry and Hope could sit normally. Hope took the seat between the window and Piers, and Harry sat at Hope and Piers' feet, trying to avoid being kicked by Piers

\\Really?//

\Yes. You're not the only Potter who has dreams. /

\\Ha ha. I only meant that you usually know when I dream, but I have no clue when and what you dream.//

\Well, I don't dream often. Maybe you just need practice./

\\Maybe. What did you dream about?//

\A flying motorcycle./

\\And I thought I was the one who had weird dreams in this family.// Harry and Hope considered themselves as a family, with Uncle Vernon, Aunt Petunia, and Dudley as very distant, annoying relatives whom no one talks about.

\\Speaking of motorcycles...//

"...roaring along like maniacs, the young hoodlums," said Vernon.

\You're scary when you do that, did you know?/

\\Yes. I know all, mwahahahahahhaha.//

\Mwahahahahahhaha?/

\\Fine. Bwahahahahahhaha//

\You are nuts./

\\And don't you forget it.//

At first, the trip to the zoo was the most fun the twins could remember. Aunt Petunia had ordered lemon ice for each of them, and although they were far from the most expensive item on the menu, they were fairly good.

Their enjoyment continued as the small group moved through the zoo. Harry and Hope walked a few steps apart from the Dursley's, in order to avoid becoming bait should Piers and Dudley get bored. They zoo was crowded, enough that Hope couldn't simply follow her sense of Harry. She had learned that lesson when a group of tourists came up to her from behind and slightly to the side. Since the area they were in had not been too crowded before, Hope had been walking with no help from Harry. She was tripped but managed to grab hold of the nearest solid object to prevent herself from falling. That tactic would have worked better if the nearest solid object hadn't been Dudley. Her cousin gave her a hard shove, and she landed nose first directly in front of one of the tourists. The tourist had fussed over her scraped nose and insisted on taking her to the nearest nurse's station. Harry, who joined them halfway, heartily agreed that both nurse and elderly tourist were quite annoying. By the time they escaped, the Dursleys and Piers had been to the snake house, and both were spinning wild tales about the Brazilian Boa Constrictor. As their dialogues tended to disagree, Harry was not inclined to jealousy. Hope, thinking of Histell, raised an eyebrow.

Histell was a thin black garter snake. After discovering him in the garden one day and hearing him hiss of Speakers, both Harry and Hope had agreed not to mention Histell to anyone. Knowing Aunt Petunia, she would have Harry kill Histell as a sign of his 'freakishness.' Thus, Histell lived in the garden, carefully hidden from the Dursleys.

Although Histell had been young when he first met Harry and Hope, he knew snake legends. According to him, his larger counterparts were often lazy unless provoked. Harry seriously doubted Dudley was up to much provoking--as far as reptiles who would willingly strangle him went, of course. He was perfectly capable of provoking his parents to spoil him.

On the long ride home, Piers did his best to bruise Harry while Hope stared out of the window. She could not shake the nagging feeling that something was going to happen, and soon.

Nothing very unusual happened for the next month. School let out, Harry was confined to the cupboard three times for acting the freak, and Hope twice for relation and fraternization.

On the 28th of July, a letter for Harry accompanied the letter for Hope in the mail.

Hope, observing through Harry's eyes, was astonished. \\Harry! It's EXACTLY like the one in my dreams!//

The letter was on a very thick, heavy paper (is that parchment?) and written with green ink.

\I'll just put it in the cupboard, then./

\\Right. Don't let the Dursley's see it. //

\Why not?/

\\I...I don't know. Just don't let them see it.//

\Right./

Harry slipped the letter through the grate on the cupboard.

"Hurry up, boy! What's taking so long, checking for letter bombs?"

Harry ignored his uncle's affected chuckling as he finished eating what Dudley hadn't stolen from his plate. His mind was with the letter in the cupboard.

For some reason, Aunt Petunia seemed to be tensed, waiting for something. She snapped at Harry and his sister to return to their cupboard.

\What, no chores?/

\\I...don't know...//

\Hope, are you alright?/

\\I'm...just trying to remember, I guess...//

\Remember what?/

\\I don't know. Something important.//

\Well, we can read the letter, anyway./

\\Right.//

Harry, squinting in the dim light of the cupboard, opened his letter and began to read.


HOGWARTS SCHOOL of WITCHCRAFT and WIZARDRY
Headmaster: ALBUS DUMBLEDORE

(Order of Merlin, First Class, Grand Sorc., Chf. Warlock,
Supreme Mugwump, International Confed. Of Wizards)

Dear Mr. Potter,
We are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Please find enclosed a list of all necessary books and equipment.

Term begins on September 1. We await your owl by no later than July 31.
Yours sincerely,

Minerva McGonagall,
Deputy Headmistress


\It's the place! Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry! And we're going!/

\\We are?//

\Well, yeah. Don't you want to go?/

\\Of course I do! It's just... they won't let us. And they won't pay for it. //

\Maybe there's a scholarship. I mean, we've always done all sorts of weird stuff...remember Miss Pearson's hair? And Dudley's old jumper? And when Dudley was chasing me, and we both just sort of...appeared on the roof? And when Uncle Vernon.../
\\I guess. But...they still aren't going to let us go.//
\I think that they wouldn't not let us go. If we did all of that stuff when we were little, then wouldn't it be, well, dangerous to not let us go?/

\\They won't see it that way.//

\But maybe these... people will. Surely it's worth a try./

\\All right. But what does this mean, 'We await you owl?//

\Dunno./

\\Let's write a letter, then we can mail it if we get the chance. //

\Right./

To whom it may concern:
My name is Harry Potter, and I and my twin sister Hope have recently received your letter. As we are living with our aunt and uncle, who do not know about any magic we might have, we really have no way of knowing whether or not this is a hoax. Is it possible to contact us with confirmation?

We also have no way to get, or pay for, schooling or supplies. Is there a scholarship we could apply for? And where could we get the school supplies?

Sincerely,
Harry Potter
Hope Potter


Harry reread the letter with satisfaction. His teacher had taken several weeks to ensure that her students could write a proper friendly or business letter if needed. He had never thought he might actually need the information.

While he was writing, Hope had found one of the faulty envelopes stored in the cupboard and carefully addressed it in here neat handwriting to

Minerva McGonagall
Deputy Headmistress
Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry
Scotland

\Scotland?/

\\Well, that's where it was in my dreams. It's a good a guess as any.//

\Here give it to me. I might be able to slip it into the mail./

That, however, was not necessary. Around noon, Petunia seemed to be over the worst of her jitters concerning the twins and let them out with orders to weed the garden. As they stepped outside, Harry's eyes went wide.

\Hope?/

\\Hmm?//

\I think I know what they meant about the owl./

\\What?//

Hurriedly, she slipped into Harry's eyes, and say what made him say that.

\Well?/
\\Well what? Are you going to give it the letter or not?//

Harry did as he was told, wary of large wings and snooping aunts, them stepped back. The owl took flight.
\Now what?/

\\Now we wait.//

It was all they could do.


A/N Like? Love? Loathe? Review! (Yes corny, but how else am I going to know what you think?) Constructive criticism is appreciated, praise is delightedly devoured, flames are decidedly unappreciated--for Pete's sake, people, if you don't like my fic, tell me why, don't netscream it in a dialect so peppered with cursing that it's hard to see the actual words. You review me, I will review your HP fanfics.

As to the chapter:
Petunia was tense because Lily got her letter a few days before her birthday, too.
Sign up to rate and review this story