Categories > Books > Harry Potter

Compensations

by Lissa 0 reviews

Oneshot, a prequel of sorts for Light of Hope but stands alone. What do you get if you take skewed mythology, sympathetic fates, and the Cannonverse we all know and love? A new universe.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: G - Genres: Fantasy - Characters: Harry - Published: 2007-03-12 - Updated: 2007-03-13 - 457 words - Complete

-1Boring
Disclaimer: I own nothing you recognize. You can try to sue me, but you won't get much. I wouldn't bother.


The three gazed at the weaving before them. They were in a sizeless cave, with several dozen alcoves, bolts of cloth lining every available space.The particular cloth in front of them was unfinished, but already chaotic, with much black and red.

"My, you haven't made it easy for him," one said.

Another glared the sister who had just spoken. "Mortals need hardship. It makes them strong." She snorted. "Foolish creatures."

"But this one is so young!" she protested. "Is all of his life to be like this?"

"Yes," the one at the loom said absently. "but it will get better."

"Will get better? What about now? He's just a child--as if anything can compensate for what he's been through."

"Well, I'll start now." A string of vibrant orange was added to the shuttle. "Does that suit you, your royal highness?"

"It's better, but still..."

"What would you have me do? Go backwards? Redo everything? You do know that if I had 'compensated' him too much that he would not have lived to see his twelfth year!"

The sister who had spoken of strengthening mortals spoke again, quietly. "Funny things, compensations. They can be so very simple, and mortals will lap them up. True, too much or too many can be disastrous, but some can strengthen as they comfort."

"What are you suggesting?" the weaver leaned forward, eyes on the other. "Speak plainly, sister, for I have no patience with your roundabout ways."

"Look." A parchment was unrolled. The three leaned in, studying it.

Finally, the weaver smiled. "This might work. But I have another addition. The hawk." She drew on the parchment with her finger.

"Wait," the eldest commanded. "It seems that you have done well, but it also seems that the girl is overly-compensated. Here." She also drew on the parchment.

"Yes," said the weaver, "but again we have the problem of no compensation."

"True, but that can be fixed." The original designer reached forward, intent on her plan. "This will also strengthen the lad." She drew back her hand, and suddenly the parchment glowed. Another alcove appeared, and the three went to it, making their way into another world.


A/N Like? Love? Loathe? Review! (Yes corny, but how else am I going to know what you think?) Constructive criticism is appreciated, praise is delightedly devoured, flames are decidedly unappreciated--for pity's sake, people, if you don't like my fic, tell me why, don't netscream it in a dialect so peppered with cursing that its hard to see the actual words.

This was something that just wouldn't go away. Hope you liked it!
Sign up to rate and review this story