Categories > Anime/Manga > Tsubasa/xxxHolic

The Power of Words

by Solosan 1 review

Doumeki wonders if Watanuki is blind, deaf AND dumb... Watanuki wonders if Doumeki has lost it.

Category: Tsubasa/xxxHolic - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Romance - Characters: Doumeki,Mokona,Watanuki,Yuuko - Published: 2007-03-15 - Updated: 2008-12-22 - 603 words - Complete

-1Predictable
That morning...

"I love you."

Those three words had the power to turn his life upside down and inside out.

Watanuki didn't have any idea how to react. Scream? Shout? Run away? Or all of the above?

"Eh?"

Doumeki repeated with his trademark deadpan expression, "I love you."

Watanuki blinked. Then blinked again.

"Is Yuuko san behind this?"

"No."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes."

Watanuki didn't want to acknowledge the words. Those words that hung heavey between them. Because in acknowledging them, he acknowledges that their relationship will be irrevocably changed. And somewhere between his screaming bouts and Doumeki's rescues, Watanuki came to value what he had with the jerk. And now said jerk was approaching him, in his same inevitable manner.

"Don't come to close!" Watanuki refused to think on how high his voice shrilled. Or the fact, that phrase seemed to physically lash at Doumeki.

Still he moved closer. So close that Watanuki could smell his scent. A peculiar wafting of incence and old oak. And another smell that was simply Doumeki.

There were plenty of reasons why Watanuki didn't run away.
One: He was backed up to a tree.
Two: Doumeki's words had put him in shock and he was now operating on auto-pilot
Three: If he would admit it to himself, he liked the other boys proximity.

"Stop." Watanuki almost whispered this last defence. And Doumeki seemed to hesitate but before he knew it, the bark of the the giant willow dug into his back and there was an equally hard body pushed up against him.

"Doumeki!" His protest came out a little muffled as something was in the way. It was when Watanuki's brain belatedly realised that it was the archers lips moving against his own that he came to his senses. With unexpected strength he pushed Doumeki roughly away. The blue eyed boy struggled to catch his breath and resisted the urge to touch his lips as he watched the other stumble away.

"Do you know what you're doing?!"

The other boy straightened and gazed at Watanuki.

"Himawari-chan LOVES you! Do you know what you're doing to her? You're crushing her dreams!"

"I know."

"And you don't even- What?"

"I said, 'I know.'" Doumeki glanced at Watanuki as though wondering if Watanuki really was that dumb.
"She confessed to me yesterday."

"Well then why are you-" His fresh tirade dribbled to a stop when Doumeki put his hand up to silence him.

"And then told me to be happy with you. She told me she was glad I could love you, as I couldn't her."

Warily Doumeki lifted his hand away, fully expecting Watanuki to go on a rampage. However Watanuki just stared at him with widened eyes.

"Shewasgladyoucouldloveme."

Doumeki blinked at the rush of words.

"Yes."

"Oh."

"So I'll see you tomorrow at the cats cafe for our first date."

"Uh-huh... Huh?! What?! Doumeki you jerk! Don't arrange meetings like that!"

...

Later At Yuuko's shop.

Doumeki handed the bottles of brandy over to Yuuko. "For telling me where he was."

"Thanks." For an instant she was all propriety and then it was dashed as she yelled, "Mokona! The glasses!"

The black Mokona mimiced, "The glasses!"

Watanuki glared from the doorway in his apron, "You wanted payment for that TOO?!"

Yuuko grinned at Watanuki, "If I didn't know how much it meant to Doumeki here, It wouldn't be worth much, now would it?"

Watanuki stared at her in disbelief, "Am I the only one who didn't know about Doumeki's feelings?!"

"Yes." They all replied in unison, not looking up from the pouring of Doumeki's Grandfathers priceless brandy.
Sign up to rate and review this story