Categories > Anime/Manga > Naruto

Falling Rain

by nevermore199 2 reviews

The day of the funeral, it rained. [ One shot, Naruto x Hinata. Contains character death. ]

Category: Naruto - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst, Romance - Characters: Hinata, Naruto - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2007-03-27 - Updated: 2007-03-28 - 349 words - Complete

1Ambiance
It was raining on the day of the funeral.

The raindrops poured endlessly from a darkened, cloud-streaked sky, much like the tears that had fallen from the pale eyes of Hinata Hyuga on many a day and night, ever since she had heard the news.

It was only a C-rank mission. Such a simple thing. The team had been more than capable of handling it.

He never came back from that mission, and three weeks later, Konoha learned that Naruto Uzumaki had been killed.

They later learned that it was Sasuke Uchiha's doing, and that Naruto had been unable to kill Sasuke, and that was what had led to his demise. But it didn't really matter. All that mattered was that it had happened, that it wasn't a dream.

At the funeral, a lot of people showed up, and even though some of them would never admit it afterwards, they had tears in their eyes. Several people spoke, talking of the influence Naruto had had on their lives.

Hinata was the last person to speak. She spoke in a flat voice, about how much she had admired Naruto and how much she would miss him. She had never revealed so much of herself before, but what did it matter? Everything was different now.

She stood at the grave long after everyone had gone, feeling the cold rain on her skin, wishing that it would drown her and wash away her body so that she could go to where he was.

Hours and hours passed.

She thought, numbly, of how much she had always loved Naruto, ever since the first day she had seen him. She had always been the one admiring him from afar, too shy to tell him, to say the words that echoed in her heart. And now...now it was too late. Even if she said them, he would never hear.

The tears flowed from her eyes and mingled with the rainwater on her face, and a single word escaped from her lips in a choked whisper before she collapsed in front of the gravestone.

"...Naruto..."
Sign up to rate and review this story