Categories > Anime/Manga > Naruto

Only a Week

by nevermore199 3 reviews

It's been a week since their first kiss. [ One shot, Shikamaru x Temari. Contains character death. ]

Category: Naruto - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst, Romance - Characters: Shikamaru, Temari - Published: 2007-03-27 - Updated: 2007-03-28 - 366 words - Complete

1Moving
Their first kiss.

It's one of the most vivid memories in his mind.

He remembers it, clear as day, and thinks that he'll always remember it, no matter how much time goes past.

*

They were on a rooftop, watching clouds go by, and she was yammering on and on and on about something unimportant, and he finally leaned over and kissed her, just to get her to shut up.

He pressed his lips against hers, harder than he even planned on, and he felt a strange rush of blood through his body--maybe in his head, or heart, or both. He couldn't tell.

She was shocked for a moment, and then he felt her smiling behind his lips, and then kissing him back. Which surprised him--somehow, he had expected to be the only one actually doing the kissing.

When they finally broke apart, she looked a little embarrassed--another surprise, because in all the time that he had known her, he had never seen her look the slightest bit embarrassed about anything. He suddenly found himself feeling very self-conscious.

After a few seconds, though, she hit him gently on the shoulder and said, "Don't look so red, Crybaby."

She smiled at him then, and it was a sincere smile, not the devilish smirk she wore when she was teasing him, kicking him across a training field, or any combination of the two.

He looked at that smile, and slowly he smiled back, and he felt his awkward feelings disappear.

Because he knew that she was worth it all.

*

This is the thought that comes to his mind first, as he kneels next to her body.

Broken. Bleeding.

Dying.

He feels dead in a way. As if he is the one fatally wounded. As if it is him lying on the ground soaked in blood, with the medical ninja too far away to help.

As he stares at her, and she stares at him with eyes that are slowly losing life, he thinks of that kiss, and the rushing happiness that had been with it.

It was only a week ago.

Only a week.


He bows his head so that his tears don't fall on her.
Sign up to rate and review this story