Categories > Original > Mystery > Cross My Heart and Hope to Die

Cross My Heart and Hope to Die

by the_oddity 0 reviews

Three friends are suddenly torn apart by a few simple, childish words. Now Jensen and Cassie need to find out who killed their friend and learn how to deal with life without her.

Category: Mystery - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2007-04-02 - Updated: 2007-04-03 - 398 words

0Unrated
Cassie, Gina and Jensen. They had been best friends for as far back as any of them could remember, and they were inseparable. Each one of them were outsiders from the popular crowd, yet still completely attached to one another.

'Cross my heart and hope to die'. The phrase, along with the hand gesture, was symbolic to their friendship. They said it to each other all the time, but mostly used it to make promises. Somehow the words tied them together.

UNTIL IT TORE THEM APART.

'Cross my heart and hope to die'. They were Gina's last words.

The day she died, a phsycopath escaped from an asylum. Gina happened to be outside when he passed. He acted like a tourist and asked her for directions to the welcome center. She pointed down the road to show him the way, and he pulled out a gun. "You can't tell anyone that I'm here." he screamed threateningly. Gina's eyes bulged. "I swear I won't," she paniced. "Cross my heart and hope to die," she said, used to the words, and she crossed her heart. "Are you sure about that?" he screamed. A tear rolled down her cheek and she nodded. He shot her right where she had crossed her heart, and she died.

******************

Cassie gazed at the black casket. Jensen stood beside her. They stood in silence for a while. Jensen broke the silence. "I miss her." Cassie looked at him. A tear rolled down her face. "Me too." Jensen held her in his arms as she cried softly into his shoulder.

*******************

Jensen drove Cassie home. They didn't say anything at all during the car ride. Cassie cried the entire time. Jensen pulled into the driveway of her house, got out, and opened Cassie's door for her. She wordlessly invited him inside.

When they got inside, Cassie slid her black heeled shoes off of her feet and threw them across the room. "I don't get it!" she screamed at no one in particular. Jensen led her over to the couch and had her sit down. "Get what?" he asked her calmly, looking her straight in the eye. She stared straight back at him. "Why Gina? Why did she have to die? Why couldn't she have saved herself?" She let more tears come.

Jensen remained calm. Then he said softly, "Everyone dies sometime, Cassie. Just be thankful you're still alive."
Sign up to rate and review this story