Categories > Games > Skies of Arcadia > Raiders of the Lost Heart

Chapter 6

by ImonZ 0 reviews

Unexpected help

Category: Skies of Arcadia - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama - Characters: Aika, Fina, Vyse - Warnings: [!!!] - Published: 2007-04-06 - Updated: 2007-04-06 - 3039 words

0Unrated
Chapter 6

Unexpected help

After some time down in the galley, we went back up to the bridge. Vyse had asked me if I could help with the navigation. I had little to no experience in navigating a ship of this magnitude, but I somehow managed fine. Unfortunately, Aika joined in. More and more I started to regret making this trip with them. Aika in particular. People of her sort were one of the main reasons I preferred working alone and keeping to myself. Had she not started to babble about the Black Pirates, nothing would have happened. Or if I could have kept my own mouth shut, of course. The very last thing I wanted was for she or her friends to get ideas about me; thinking I was something I wasn't. Hopefully, she would forget it soon enough. Actually, when we arrived, I could get back to my ship and get the hell out, go for the treasure myself. But it was not possible. Not now. I had made an agreement with them, and as a mercenary I had to stand by it. If I bailed (as they would see it) they would spread the word around that I couldn't be trusted. And eventually, words would reach the Nasr Syndicate. Who had I worked for? Blue Rogues? I knew what that would mean. If you worked for the big "N", co-operation with Blue Rogues would mean...

"What's wrong?" I heard Aika say. "You seem worried."

Couldn't I at least have my thoughts for myself!?

"Nothing," I said. I wanted to continue with 'None your business, so shut up' but even I knew it would be unwise to start an argument.

I turned my face away from her. Outside of the window, only clouds could be seen. It was a peaceful sight. Nothing but a huge white cloud cover, stretching out seemingly forever...

"Hang on, everybody," said Vyse. "We're diving."

"Are you really sure?" Fina asked from the portside's panel-row. "Shouldn't we check where we are before we do that?"

"Don't worry, Fina, I know this route inside out. On my mark, drop down at 120 degrees. Ready... Now!"

Fina pulled forward the inclining lever and we began to drop. We broke through the clouds and an island could be seen. It was formed almost as a crescent. It grew in size as we came closer. I could see two buildings on the ground and a hut of some sort built in the mountain-wall. Vyse turned slightly portside as Fina pulled the altitude-lever a bit backwards, making the ship break its down-going course. Now we sailed alongside the island, slowly making it to the back. It felt like a point-of-no-return.

xXx

Now they had reached Crescent Isle. Vyse navigated the Delphinus around the island to the docking bay. There he stopped and reversed the engines so they backed in.

"We don't have enough room to turn it around inside, that's why we do it the hard way," said Vyse.

Slowly, darkness clasped them, only to be pushed away by the lights at the dock.

"What's that?" Fina said and pointed.

"What's what?" Aika asked.

"I thought I saw someone."

Vyse and Aika immediately looked in the direction Fina had pointed. This could mean big trouble. Vyse nodded.

"Sure is. Just hope... hey!"

"It's Hans and Brabham!" said Aika.

"All clear then?" said Esteban.

Aika nodded.

"Least said. They were once a part of our crew. Wonder why they're here?"

Delphinus moved closer to the landing stage and then stopped. The two guests started to moor their ship. While they did that, Vyse and the rest went out from the bridge and headed for the ship's exit. They trotted down the gangplank and went over to their unexpected guests. Behind them, some huge boxes could be seen.

"Hi you two!"

He didn't get much longer until Brabham interrupted.

"Finally you arrive! This is my most marvellous creation ever! It will change the ship-industry as we know it forever! Ho, ho, ho!" He sure hadn't changed.

Vyse turned his head to Hans and said:

"Translation, please?"

The brown-haired youth smiled. Hans had stuck together with Brabham while they were in Valua. He still had things to learn, but soon he would be able to rival Brabham.

"Brabbie here has worked on a new sort of ship engine," he said. "We haven't been able to test it yet, but we brought the prototype for you to try it out."

Aika sighed.

"Great. I've always wanted to be the guinea pig for a new device created by a crazy old man."

Brabham laughed.

"You may notice, young lady, that your Yafutoman engine is still working after six months. And by the way, the prototype must be tested on a ship that travels above the clouds."

"You don't say," said Vyse. "Why?"

The old engineer gesticulated while he spoke, walking forwards and backwards.

"Simple. Because: if you tried it in the 'normal' sky, you would most certainly bring down a passing ship or two, or should I say bring with. Yes! This engine will set a new standard for ship speed as we know it!"

This looked good. And with those two here, they could help setting up the Delphinus for the new voyage.

"Sounds great," said Vyse. "Just hope it won't take too much time."

"Why?"

"We've got ourselves a treasure hunt," said Aika. Then she turned to Esteban. "By the way, just where is that treasure?"

Before he could begin to answer, Brabham said:

"You haven't got a location? And still you bring him here? Ho, ho, ho, maybe you should think over bringing home complete strangers like him."

He probably hadn't meant anything bad by it, but for someone who didn't knew the old engineer, it would sound downright patronizing. What a heavenly bad start that was, thought Aika.

"I'll tell you that later," Esteban said to Aika in a cold voice. "We don't want outsiders to find out, do we?"

She could only hope Brabham would get the point and shut up.

"Right. But is it far away? From Nasrad."

"It is."

Aika turned to the old engineer.

"Just set it up really quick then."

Brabham made a jokeful bow.

"Well of course, empress Aika. Shall I provide a new figurehead for your ship as well?"

She ignored the old man and said:

"You can start with the engines. We'll be right back... just in time for when you're finished."

The two engineers unpacked their equipment and prepared for the add on-ing while Vyse, Aika, Fina and Esteban walked in to the small dock-kitchen. It wasn't as cozy as the tavern; the distinctive smell of harbor was always present. It was meant to be used for any dock-worker on breaks. They sat down on the green couches.

"Anyone want some tea?" Fina asked.

"Us!" Vyse and Aika said.

Esteban said nothing as usual. Aika put her hand on the couch's arm-rest with four fingers outspread. Fina knew the discreet wink and prepared four cups.

"Alrighty," said Aika. "So where is it?"

Esteban took out the map from the inner pocket in his black waistcoat. He folded it out and put it on the table to give a good view to them all.

"It says 'the jade moon', so it's definitely in Ixa'taka."

That far? Well, it had been while since they had been there anyway.

"Aha," said Vyse. "So, it seems that Octavio beat us to the new land."

"Don't forget about the Valuans," said Aika.

"And Centime and Hans, for that matter," Fina added from the stove.

Vyse sighed.

"Yeah, yeah, at least we were first to Glacia," he said.

"Aaaw, no sweat," Aika said. "We just don't tell anyone, and nothing should be wrong, right."

They laughed.

"Anyway," Esteban said with a just slightly annoyed voice. "the base itself is located in northwest."

Fina arrived with the four cups, passing them around, then she sat down next to Aika. If Esteban was surprised about his unexpected tea-cup, he didn't show it. He passed over the map to Vyse. The old map showed signs of great age, but it was easy to distinguish what was land and what was sky.

"It's Ixa'taka, alright," said Vyse. "It seems that the base is just next to Rixis."

Aika leant over and looked.

"Sure is. Hope that's not a bad sign... again."

Vyse smirked and said to Esteban:

"Rixis was supposed to be an ancient city that was made out of gold, but when we got there, we found out it was an abandoned ghost-town."

"Just maybe," Aika started. "Octavio was responsible for..."

"No," said Fina. "Rixis was done for during the Rain of Destruction."

"I know," Aika said. "Or, I just remembered it."

It wouldn't be so far-fetched. Black Pirates were not really known for their discussions other than with cannon fire.

"Here's what we'll do," Vyse begun. "It'll probably take some time before that new engine is fixed, so we'll leave early tomorrow. If it's as fast as Brabham boasts, we could go to Ixa'taka and back in just one day."

"Aye," Aika and Fina said.

"Is that alright with you, Esteban?" Vyse asked. Even if it was their ship, at least they could ask.

"It's your ship," was the reply. Maybe he had hoped to go today.

Vyse passed him back the map. Esteban quickly looked it through and then...

"There's something written here."

"Yes, we all saw it," Aika said.

"No, not the description," said the mercenary. "It's written here, along with the stone-reef."

As if given a signal, the three Blue Rogues gathered around the map.

"A coded message?"

"More treasure?"

"Aika, we have one already."

"And? What's wrong with having ambitions?"

Esteban, completely oblivious to the storm of questions around him, peered closely at the map while he quietly read the words.

"What is it, what is it, what is it?" Aika said, brimming with excitement.

"It says: /Damn blustery just above/."

Aika rolled her eyes, as if tricked out of another treasure. Now another bunch of old bones was laughing at them!

"Alright, important safety tip. Thanks a lot, Octavio, for raising my hopes!"

"It sure is," Vyse said, almost grinning. "If I remember it correctly, the winds are very rough near that reef. But that won't stop us."

Then suddenly a loud noise was heard from the docks. Almost as if something metallic had fallen on the floor. It was followed up by some booming swearing.

"Well, they're definitely on their way," said Aika. "But let the experts handle it, eh?"

"Yes," Fina said, smiling slightly. "It would be best. We shouldn't meddle with their hard work."

"I agree with you," Vyse said, then turned to Esteban. "While we're waiting, would you like to see your quarters for the evening?"

"I have a hammock aboard my ship, it'll do."

Aika shook her head, smiling.

"Nuh uh. As long as you're here, you're our guest."

"Fine then." Esteban didn't seem much the one for hospitality.

The group left the kitchen and made their way towards the stairs. They had just made it past the room where the cannons were stored when...

"Hey!" Brabham shouted. "A little help, maybe?"

Instead of answering, they turned a deaf ear and increased their pace. When they had gone up the stairs, they took the left tunnel out to the base. The sun felt refreshing after the time in the docks, and the clean air washed away the smell of ship oil, gunpowder and such. As they walked to the living quarters, Esteban said:

"It's quite big. Are there any more people than just you three?"

"No, it's just us," said Vyse. "Originally, there were many more. But after the battle at Soltis, almost all of our crew left."

"Some went to Valua to help with the reconstruction," Fina inflicted. "Others returned home."

At first glance, it looked as if time had stood still. But a closer look would show the changes. Kalifa's tent was gone and so were all the shops in the cave as well. Ilchymis' chemistry was the biggest loss, of course, but they kept a big store of sacres and curia crystals. Now the group had reached the two-story living quarters at the pool. Vyse pointed at the room Enrique once had resided in, the one just left to the gap.

"You can take that room," he said. It's the royal suite, so to say."

"Over exaggerating, are we, Vyse?" Aika said and pushed him playfully on his shoulder. "Just because Enrique lived in there won't be enough to make it a tourist-attraction, or take out rent on it."

"Excuse me, but just who was talking about having ambitions just a while ago?"

They laughed. Esteban trotted up the stairs and headed for his room for the evening. He opened the door and put down his backpack on the bed.

xXx

After we'd been to the living quarters, we went back to the dock to help out with the engine. The two newcomers seemed to know their stuff, I found I had to give that old fossil credit, but never out loud. I had managed to get a peek of the blueprints. I didn't know much about engineering, but it looked... interesting. And then there was the speed. From here to Ixa'taka in just one day. Not bad at all. Since their base was located just east of Valua, and north of "my" island, it would've been a long journey.

"OK, that seems like the last thing!" I heard Hans shout.

The time had passed very quickly. Now it must be near night time. We gathered near the gangplank that led up to the ship. Brabham, excited as a child with a new toy, could hardly stand still.

"Ho, ho, ho! It's finally set up! Just make sure to travel above the clouds when you've got the afterburner on. Mind, the manoeuvrability. There's only one way you can go and that's straight forward."

"At least we'll be getting somewhere," said Vyse. "And the price?"

"The price? A complete report on the performance of course! If the engine blows up just after it's stopped, I'll have to go back to the drawing board again."

Either he was just joking, or he had some screws loose.

"And also," he continued. "We detached that ship that was attached to the /Delphinus/." He pointed at me. "Is it his?"

Now I knew it was the screws that were loose. And people accused me of having no tact. At least I didn't talk about people over their heads.

"A very interesting design, yes," he continued, without waiting for a reply. "It's a Valuan spy-boat isn't it?"

Even if his brain was worm-eaten, he was sure sharp-eyed.

"Close, but wrong."

"Too bad. Just hope you get a big share from that treasure, so you can buy a genuine ship. I can see you like Valuan craftsmanship."

All out of sudden, everything was covered in a red mist. What the hell was that crack minded bastard insinuating! That I would like... Valuan? From my inner eye, I could see myself pushing him down from the docks, falling down in the skies, screaming at the top of his lungs...

"I'd rather eat rusty nails," I said, clenching my fist, the nails pressing against my palm. "Especially if it was built by a damn imbecile like you."

I noticed they all looked at me in an odd way, but I hadn't really expected anything else.

"Hey!" Brabham started, slightly angered as if I had hurt his work-honour. "If you got problems, don't let it out on me!"

"That's how cruel life can be from time to time. Think of that the next time you polish that bald head of yours."

The mention of the bald spot made him shut up. A troubled quietness arose, but I couldn't care less. Just because I was different from others was no reason to walk over me. Well, it was a reason, but I wouldn't stand for it. I was not paid to just stand still, smiling like an idiot. It would probably look bad in Aika's eyes but that was the whole point. The very thought made me struggle to fight back a smile. Actually, I didn't find it hard to choke back smiles and laughs since I never did any of these things. Not in a long time.

"Well," said Hans to break the silence. "We'd better get back to Valua. You can stop by and tell us how the engine fared."

"We will," said Vyse. "Have a safe journey."

With one last glare at my direction, Brabham boarded his ship, followed by Hans. Discretely, I made an unfriendly hand sign against the old man, unfortunately he was the only one who saw it. The ship moved off very quickly. Soon we couldn't hear them anymore.

"It's getting late," said Vyse. "Let's hit the hay and get up early tomorrow."

"Right," said Aika. "After dinner, maybe."

"You have a point, all that work gave me a little appetite."

"Yeah, al that handing tools around looked reeeally tiresome to me."

"Hey..."

We started to move off towards the stairs. Vyse and Fina took the lead while I walked behind with Aika on the left, highly involuntarily. Suddenly, she said:

"That was a little harsh, actually. He didn't mean anything bad by it. He's just a little tactless."

"Ask me if I care," I said.

Just gang up on my, everybody, I thought. Like always, as far as I could remember...

"If you just let me finish" she said. "I think he deserved a little blow like that, the way he acted towards you. 'Think of that the next time you polish that bald head of yours'," She started to giggle. "Very clever, I liked it."

Why did you bring it up then!? I thought with huge amount of frustration.

If she liked it, I regretted what I had said. No matter what I said or did, everything seemed to bounce back straight in my face. Aika was too friendly for her own good. No, for my good. It would be a relief when the job with them was done.
Sign up to rate and review this story