Categories > Games > Skies of Arcadia > Raiders of the Lost Heart

Chapter 8

by ImonZ 0 reviews

Just a little bit of sunshine

Category: Skies of Arcadia - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama - Characters: Aika, Fina, Vyse - Warnings: [!!!] - Published: 2007-04-06 - Updated: 2007-04-06 - 2459 words

0Unrated
Chapter 8

Just a little bit of sunshine

As soon as she awoke, Aika almost literally jumped out of bed. She wasn't one who slept for unnecessary long, especially not now when there was treasure in Ixa'taka, waiting to be taken.

She dressed quickly and then sat down in front of the mirror and started to do her braids, humming slightly to herself. It was a real job trussing them up, but she really liked 'em. It looked really like /her/. She had done this for as long as she could remember. At least for as long as she had possessed long hair. It had been a pain to braid them right the first time, now she could probably do it in her sleep. After that was done, she hooked on her earrings and then put her goggles on the regular spot on her head. They worked for two things; first of course as goggles and secondly for keeping most of her hair away from her eyes. Three armlets and a glove later, everything was done. As far as Aika was concerned, the treasure hunt could start any time, preferably at this very instance. Although, her stomach decided it would have to be after breakfast. And also, she couldn't go alone, could she?

She looked out of the window and spotted a lone figure, standing by the flagpole up the hill. It was Esteban. Both Vyse and Fina were slow in the morning (at least according to and in comparison with her) so she figured the two of them were the only people awake.

She walked out of her room and trotted down the stairs. The air was a little cold, considering it was summer of course. The day was probably still very young. She rounded the living-quarters and walked up to the lookout. If Esteban had heard her, he didn't show it. He stood there, leaning his elbows on the fence, gazing out across the sky, as if he searched for an answer. For once, he seemed almost peaceful, although he looked a bit melancholic or just sleepy. She walked up to him.

"Mornin', Estie," she said. "Sleep well?"

He didn't turn his head but she could see a sudden frown appear on his forehead. The muscles around his throat swelled. She felt she had said something bad... again.

"The reason I'm not answering" he said in a frigid voice "is because I'm not named 'Estie'."

"Alright, fine by me." He didn't seem angry at her, though. It seemed to be something within. Almost as if he was talking to himself. "So, you had a good night?"

"Sufficient."

Oh giddy. It wasn't a nightmare, she thought sarcastically. And why had he reacted at "Estie"?

"Let's go and have some breakfast," she said "We can wake Vyse and Fina... just before we leave the base."

Esteban didn't laugh, but why should he? He turned his head away from the view. Aika turned around to walk down. Then suddenly he pushed her aside!

"Aw! What are you..."

"Dodge!" he shouted as he thrust forward while reaching for a dagger from his belt.

When he had his weapon out, Aika saw that...

"Wait! Don't!" she screamed, jumped up and quickly grabbed Esteban's target: the little innocent, free floating Cupil.

Mostly, Cupil was with Fina. Only occasionally did he fly away on his own little adventures around Crescent Isle. Esteban stopped, put back his dagger and looked at the little creature.

"What's that... thing?"

"That thing is Fina's pet, Cupil. Just don't ask me what he is." She held up the little creature and talked to it. "Ah, don't worry. It was a new person. Wanna say hello?"

Fina was the only one who could understand what Cupil "said". As far as Aika and Vyse were concerned, Cupil used the same "myu" sound over and over again. Not even after the whole time they had been together could she understand much of what Cupil chimed and beeped. But Cupil could partly understand other people's sentences, like "Do you want a cham?" or "Get out of my face, you little spud!". Now he chirped and carefully floated over to Esteban. He circled around the mercenary's head and beeped slightly, as if he wondered who this guy was. Esteban did almost seem curious and carefully touched Cupil on his "cheek". Cupil chimed and nuzzled against Esteban's forehead, which made the mercenary take a quick step backwards.

"Hey, how about that?" Aika said, smiling. "He likes you."

"Then tell him to stay away from people who tries to assault him."

"That's the whole point. He saw you tried to protect me."

This time, he didn't let himself be caught off-guard. The only thing she noticed was that he frowned slightly and looked just a little bit irritated. He wouldn't make the same "mistake" twice.

The round silvite creature flew away towards Fina's room. While Aika and Esteban walked to the tavern, Aika thought over their conversation. It was quite obvious that he didn't like the nickname "Estie". It could be that he didn't like easily bought intimacy, or maybe he had been in a larger group of mercenaries or something like that and then he had been called that name. And with the group killed, he was reminded of it every time someone called him that name. Aika shook her head. Nah, that sounded way to farfetched, but it was the best she had come up with so far. She was not near enough to being a psychologist, but even she could tell something was... wrong about him. No, she decided. Not wrong, just... different.

"Right-o, time to get started," she said as they entered the tavern. "I know a delicious recipe for nerath-eel soup with bittermelon. I just need to suggest it, then Vyse remembers how long it was since we ate out." She smirked.

"It's probably because he doesn't like it," Esteban said as if he needed to explain. "Hardly anyone likes that sort of eel."

As if she didn't knew it already! But then again, she hadn't really expected anything else.

"Aaww, you don't have to crush my illusions just like that," she said with an audible sarcasm. "Anyway, I'll make some omelettes. It's hard to screw them up."

Aika walked up to the stove and started to gather the things she needed. A bowl, koketa-eggs and other stuff. She cracked one egg against the bowl and let its content fall down with a slight "blop"-sound. She took out a frying-pan and was about to pour the bowl's containment when suddenly...

"Wait, you're doing it all wrong," Esteban said and walked up to the stove. "You need to stir the eggs before you fry them. And add some spices."

This was unexpected. She hadn't expected him to be knowledgeable about food. This could be useful. Not just to help her out.

"Can you show me how to do it?" said Aika. "I'm not that good in cooking actually."

Esteban started by adding another egg to the bowl. Then he poured in just a small amount of water and added a touch of pepper and salt. The mixture was stirred with a fork. He didn't smile, but he actually seemed to enjoy himself. Meanwhile, Aika put some logs in the stove and butter in the pan, then she started to slice up some of the bread Fina had baked some days ago. The egg-mixture was poured in the pan. Soon it began to sizzle in a cosy way. The way Esteban handled the spatula showed that it wasn't the first time he had done something like this.

"Mmm...It smells delicious," said Aika. Not only to be nice, it really did. "I bet you've done this before?"

Esteban nodded.

"I had a job once in which I had to work in a kitchen to spy on someone," he said. "I learnt a few things."

"Was it at Sailor's Island?"

"That's right."

"Aha. Could it have been Polly's place?"

Esteban shook his head while he used the spatula to pry the omelette away from the edges of the pan.

"Maybe, maybe not."

With the spatula, he folded the omelette and then he lifted it out of the pan and put it on a plate. Immediately after, almost reflexivity, he started on a new one. At this rate, breakfast would be done within just a few minutes.

"I'll go get the others," said Aika. "Hold the fort. I'll be right back"

His back didn't give her an answer, so she walked out and aimed her steps towards the nearby living quarters. Just push them out of bed, and then the treasure hunt would begin. She skipped up the stairs and knocked on Fina's door.

"Who is it?" Fina's voice said from behind the door.

"Your worst nightmare," Aika replied with a totally unchanged voice.

"Oh, come on in, Aika." The door was opened.

Aika went in and the two Rogues shared a quick hug before Fina went back to the mirror and continued to tie her blue bandanna. Aika sat down on Fina's bed, her back leaning against the wall.

"So, are you locked and loaded for some plundering?" Aika asked in an anticipating tone.

Fina nodded, and stroked away a bit of her silky blonde hair. A small smile was playing on her lips. At least she would answer.

"Of course. It'll feel nice to get out again."

"At least for me. Last time, it was you and Vyse who got all the fun."

Fina chuckled just a little.

"It really depends on how you define 'fun'. But yes, it's much better for all three of us to go. After all, we can't let Vyse go out on his own, right?"

They both laughed.

"But speaking of Vyse," said Aika. "What have you done to his photo?"

Fina glanced at the empty spot on her dresser where the picture of their captain had once stood. She said:

"Well, I thought... now that your photo is broken, if I was the only one who had one... it might seem that I was..." She searched for words. But Aika immediately knew what she had meant.

"That you ... loved him?" she asked, looking a bit confused.

Fina nodded.

"Yes. And I don't. I mean, yes I do love him as a friend, but I'm not in love with him."

"So simply put, you mean 'I don't'?"

"Yes I do. Eh, I mean no! Or I..." Fina looked quite perplexed. "That is... /Yes/, I mean no!"

At this rate, the easily amused Aika couldn't stifle her giggle, which soon turned into a laugh. Fina's lost/embarrassed look and the way she had got tangled in her own words were just too much.

"You know" Aika giggled "some people stumble over their own feet, you manage to stumble over your own words!"

"Words are something abstract," Fina said in a reasonable tone. "It's completely impossible to 'stumble' over something which is in total absence of a physical form."

Figure-speech were not really Fina's strong point.

"... You know, Fina, it's not meant to be taken literally. You know that, don't you?"

"Well, what did you think?" Fina smiled and returned back to tying her bandanna.

As Aika had said; a simple "No" would've been fine, but this was a little bit of an awkward subject for Fina. But still, Aika had never believed in the first place that Fina had seen Vyse as a... romantic interest. Nothing bad about Vyse, not at all, but neither did Aika. But surely, there were probably many people around the world who thought Vyse went steady with one of them, or even lived in some sort of bigamy with them both. Well, it was to be expected, one guy and two gals living together in a remote isle, but still... Idiotic jerks! Was there something wrong with being just friends? And why was it called "just" friends? During all their time together, the three of them had grown to establish such a wonderful mutual friendship with each other. The way they had it now, she wouldn't like to change it for anything. Aika could never imagine choosing one of them over the other. Never!

"Aika?" Fina had said it in a tone that showed that she had repeated her self for the third time.

"Huh, wha..., yeah?" Aika looked up and saw that Fina stood in front of her.

"You seemed to be a little in the high clouds," Fina said, looking a little more intrigued. "Ever since Esteban showed up, actually. Or more precisely, when you two came back from the galley."

Well, Aika wasn't really known to conceal what she thought or felt, was she?

"Maybe. It's just something with him that's... missing, or whatever. I've tried to make him feel welcome, but..." She sighed.

The silvite looked her in the eyes.

"Just be prudent," Fina said. "And don't give up. No one wants to be alone."

Nothing more was said, but Aika knew what Fina had meant. That it was enough with one person who had given in to his inner darkness. Easier said than done of course, but he wouldn't get another chance. And if she "failed", well, at least she had tried. And he would at least have a pleasant memory to look back at. It could mean a lot.

xXx

I had to admit, the breakfast had been quite... nice. Rations could be quite boring to eat. Best of all, though, was that Aika hadn't flied into an over-happy mode for the food I made. I hated all sorts of overdone attention. The breakfast had been a pleasant surprise for them, they liked it and it had been received with normal gratitude, almost as if I was a part of their group. It was a bit strange to be appreciated for something else than my skills as mercenary. Not that I was particularly good with food either. During my time at the restaurant, I had never raised over cooking basic food.

Shortly after our morning-meal, preparations were being made. We wouldn't need many supplies, since the trip could be done relatively quickly. At least that's what they said. I had of course not told them I had the almost exact location of their island.

Then finally, we went aboard the /Delphinus/.

"Everything checked?" Vyse stated as he stood at the steering wheel.

"All clear," said Fina. "The Delphinus is ready at any time."

Hadn't it been for that pirate-outfit, she might've seemed like a stereotypical "Young-fair-maiden-who-hasn't-a-clue-about-anything" but she seemed at home on a ship's bridge.

"So let's go!" Aika said, her voice full of adventure.

I kept quiet, but just for once, even I felt a little excited.
Sign up to rate and review this story