Categories > Original > Fantasy

A Sort Of Fairy Tale

by lost_in_the_shuffle 0 reviews

Two brothers, one kingdom and one woman they both love. This is the stuff that fairy tales are made of.

Category: Fantasy - Rating: PG - Genres: Romance - Published: 2007-04-09 - Updated: 2007-04-09 - 1790 words - Complete

0Unrated
Once upon a time, there lived two brothers. They were the princes of the great kingdom of Northlend. Because they were twins, the day they had been born. Their grandfather decreed that the day one of them married a true princess, was the day that boy became king. This was more difficult that it seemed because there were no princesses in the neighboring countries and there hadn't been any for years. The kings married well to do noble women, hoping that this time a princess would be born, for pure blood was better. Years passed and the boys grew to be men. They each despaired of ever getting to be king, for a princess was no where to be found.

One day Robert the eldest of the two went out hunting in the woods, when he came across a cottage. The door opened and a beautiful raven haired woman stepped out, she stopped short at seeing Robert and turned to flee back inside. "Please don't go," Robert said," I mean you no harm." The woman turned and smiled timidly, Robert took a careful step forward, "my name is Robert," he said. The woman looked around, than pointed to a rose garden and at herself. "Oh your name is Rose," Robert said very pleased with himself. "You can't talk?" Rose shook her head no, Robert looked around. "Where is your father?" He asked amazed that any man would leave his daughter unattended. Rose shook her head no, put up one finger, than pointed at herself. "You live here alone?" Robert asked in shock for the woods were filled with dangers. At her nod of assent, Robert said, "that settles it, you're coming back to the castle with me." Rose shook her head, but Robert being so full of himself and not caring what others wanted. Acted like he didn't even see her.

Rose looked in awe around her at the grandiose surroundings, all her life she hadn't been out of the woods. Now she felt a little frightened, a young woman about her age came and led her down a long hallway to her room. Once more Rose looked around her in amazement, this one room was bigger than her entire cottage. Feeling overwhelmed Rose opened the door and ran out into the hallway, so intent on escaping back to the safe and familiar woods. She didn't see the man until she ran into him, "well, well" a strong masculine voice said. "What do we have here?" Rose looked up into a warm pair of blue eyes, "you must be Rose," the man said, "I'm Timothy, Roger's brother." Rose felt the warmth of the strong hands gripping her shoulders, radiating through her whole body. Timothy looked at her intently as if he felt the same thing. They stood there staring at each other until someone cleared their throat. Startled, Rose and Timothy turned around and saw Roger staring at them with anger. "Well little brother" Roger drawled, putting a emphasis on the word little. "I see you met our guest," than he turned to Rose and smiled, "I came to see if you would like to visit our gardens." Rose took one last look at Timothy, than put her hand on the arm that Roger offered, they walked away, leaving Timothy standing in the hallway.

Two weeks had passed and Rose was getting used to the castle, Roger hovered around her constantly, and Rose was glad to have sometime to herself. She sighed and laid down in the grass, at the edge of the royal woods. Roger was a handsome man, and very charming, but when Rose closed her eyes it was Timothy she dreamed of. She knew that Roger wanted her, but she also knew that she had nothing to offer him, she did not love him. She sat up when she heard the whisper of footsteps in the grass, Timothy was standing there perusing her. "Are we hiding from my dear brother?" He asked, with amusement in his voice. Rose shook her head, but Timothy just laughed, "I understand that Roger can get a little overwhelming at times." He said sitting down beside Rose, "he's my brother and I love him. But he expects to be king one day. So that's how he acts, like we're all his royal subjects." Timothy glanced at Rose, "I'm sure you've heard about my grandfather's grand idea, that the next in line to the throne. Be decided by a marriage to a princess." Rose nodded, "well that's tough when no princesses are to be found." Rose's head snapped up when she heard Roger's voice, Timothy heard it too, and stood up quickly. Grabbing hold of Rose's hand he ran into the woods, "hurry up," he whispered as he they ran. "I'll show you my favorite place." They ran through the woods, until the came to a clearing. Rose looked up and gasped at the sight of a waterfall. Timothy tugged on her hand, "do you want to wade for awhile?" He asked as the stopped at the edge of the waterfall fed lake. Rose nodded her head, and they took off their boots and stockings. Timothy helped Rose walk over smooth rocks than they stepped into the water, Rose made a silent gasp at the iciness of the water and Timothy laughed. Rose splashed him, than ran, Timothy chased after her growling in pretend rage. He caught hold of her waist and turned her around, panting they stared into each others eyes. Than Timothy leaned over to kiss Rose, right before their lips touched. They both heard someone coming through the woods, Timothy cursed and turned away from Rose. Roger came into the clearing and looked at them with suspicion, "what are you doing here?" Staring at Rose still standing in the water, Timothy moved to block Roger's view of Rose as she quickly ran to put on her stockings and boots. "I was showing her the waterfall," Timothy said. Roger's eyes narrowed in anger, "I see," was all he said as Rose joined them. "The reason I was looking for you Rose," Roger said, ignoring his brother, "was to ask if you wanted to go riding with me." Rose smiled slightly and took Roger's hand. As he led her into the woods, Rose turned and looked back at Timothy, he looked so sad she wanted to go to him. But let Roger led her away instead.

Timothy walked back to the castle in time to see Roger and Rose leave the stables. He closed his eyes and sighed, he had realized at the lake. That he was falling in love with Rose, he knew that Roger didn't love her. He didn't love anyone, but he would take her, just because he could. Timothy walked into the castle than turned when he heard his mother's voice. "Something troubles you my son," she said as she walked beside him. Timothy smiled slightly, "you could always tell my emotions better than anyone else," he said. His mother stopped and said, "you love the fair Rose, but you know that Roger wants her. You must believe that if your love is true and that if she loves you, that you can get through anything." Than she patted his hand and walked away, leaving him to his thoughts.

Roger dismounted from his horse, than helped Rose from hers, he led her to a bench and sat done beside her. "Rose there's something I need to ask you," Roger began, taking hold of her hand. He cleared his throat nervously, "I'm sure you know that I have strong feelings for you." He began, "I want you to marry me," Rose's head snapped up in surprise. "I don't care that you aren't a princess if that's what worries you," Roger said at her worried expression. "I'd rather have you than any kingdom," Rose looked at him and shook her head. "Please, Rose I love you," he grabbed her hand and pressed it to his heart, "I'll make you very happy." Shaking her head Rose jumped up and ran back to the castle sobbing.

Rose paced back and forth with worry, than making up her mind, she grabbed a satchel packing quickly. She snuck out of the castle and ran to the woods, she turned back to the castle. Than turned and started back to her cottage. When she arrived, she fell onto the bed and sobbed as if her heart was broken. She loved Timothy with all her heart, but she didn't want to hurt Roger or cause hatred between brothers. This way they would both get over her quickly, finally Rose fell asleep exhausted by heartache. She sat up suddenly as she felt another presence in the room, she looked over at the chair and gasped. Timothy was sitting there staring at her, "why did you leave?" He asked her with hurt in his voice, Rose got out of the bed and walked over putting her hand on Timothy's face. "I know that Roger asked you to marry him." Timothy said, "if that's what you want I won't stand in your way." He stood up, "I love you," Timothy said. Than he walked out the door of the cottage. Rose stood there for a moment, than ran out the door. Timothy turned back from mounting his horse, he met her in the yard and kissed her deeply, a blinding light exploded around them. It felt like they were floating on air as they kissed, than as they drew apart she smiled at him. "I love you Timothy,"she said and than looked surprised as she realized she had spoken out loud. "You spoke," Timothy said in amazement, Rose nodded her head. "I'm the only daughter of the Fairy king and queen," she explained, "when I was four, a evil witch cursed me with silence. Because my parents wouldn't betroth be to her repulsive son. The only way for the curse to be broken was by kissing the man I truly loved. I felt ashamed as I grew older of my muteness, so my parents allowed me to stay here." Timothy smiled in happiness, "you're a princess?" he asked in awe, "Yes I am," Rose smiled back. " I love you Timothy and I want to marry you." Timothy grabbed Rose and whirled her around than soundly kissed her on the lips. They walked hand in had into the woods, back to the castle to start their new life.

Timothy and Rose married in a ceremony benefitting their station. Roger of course was disappointed by not getting Rose or the kingdom. That changed quickly once he met Rose's beautiful nineteen year old sister. But that is another story.

THE END
Sign up to rate and review this story