Categories > Celebrities > Panic! At The Disco

Just An Unhappy Birthday

by killmyending 2 reviews

Ryan isn't too happy about turning 21. One-shot. Ryan/Jon - Sort of

Category: Panic! At The Disco - Rating: G - Genres: Angst, Drama - Published: 2007-04-13 - Updated: 2007-04-14 - 555 words

0Unrated
The horizon was just beginning to show streaks of the morning's sunrise. Ryan could just see it through the clusters of rooftops in his old suburban neighbourhood. He was sitting on the swings at the park down the road from his old house, just swinging slowly backwards and forwards.

He was letting the fresh morning breeze whip his fringe around his face. He would normally be fussing over the wind messing with his hair but this morning he hadn't even bothered styling it, or lining his eyes with kohl, or any of the usual things he did. He just wanted to be here. To be back where so many memories had taken place. He wanted to be in a place where he felt safest, and this was it.

Maybe if he were to be completely truthful with himself, he wanted to spend the morning of his 21st where he'd spent the majority of his childhood years. He didn't want to grow up. Being 21 meant that he was legally an adult. He'd always been fairly mature for his age but now being his 21 year old adult self confirmed that he must act as such. It's not that he didn't want to, he was just terrified to grow up.

Suddenly he felt a hand on his back. He turned around and came face-to-face with Jon.

"Hey Ryan." He said taking a seat in the swing next to him and beginning to swing his legs gently. "Happy birthday, man."

Ryan chuckled bitterly. Someone just had to remind him, didn't they? "Thanks." He said dully.

"Not so happy birthday, then?" Jon asked.

Ryan quietly stared out into the morning sunrise and then all of a sudden he turned sharply to face Jon.

"Jon, when you turned 21, did you want to?" he asked as he fidgeted with invisible lint on his jeans.

"Hell yeah, I wanted to. What's wrong Ryan? You should be happy that it's your birthday today."

"I don't know if I'm ready to be 21 yet." Ryan said quietly.

"Oh, Ryan." Jon said softly, getting up and coming over to envelope the younger boy in a hug. "Don't worry. Age is just a number after all." He said, flashing Ryan a comforting smile.

"You can still be who you always were. Being 21 is just like being 20." Jon paused and rubbed his bearded chin with one hand. "Well actually, we've got a cracker of a party planned for you so your 21st will kick your 20th's arse all the way from here to Idaho." He grinned, pulling Ryan up from the swing.

Ryan let out a low laugh as Jon wrapped his arm around his shoulders.

"C'mon dude. We can go and jump on Bren and Spence's beds until the wake up, 'cause they're missing out on your birthday!" Jon said with a quick pout which almost immediately spread into a grin.

Ryan laughed again and let Jon lead him back to their hotel room. Ryan didn't feel so bad about turning 21 anymore. Jon just seemed to have a way of making everything seem okay.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

[A/N] Just a really little standalone that I wrote as a writing exercise, when I knew I should've been working on My Beautiful Rescue. That's next on my agenda. I hope you enjoy this ficlet regardless. Please R&R as always. Much appreciated.
Sign up to rate and review this story