Categories > Original > Drama > The Seven Sins: Envy

Chapter Four: Revenge

by Alexandre 0 reviews

Revenge, but take heed, character death.

Category: Drama - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst, Parody - Warnings: [!!] - Published: 2007-04-16 - Updated: 2007-04-16 - 3217 words

0Unrated
When she came to, she was lying in Zandos' tent. Every muscle in her body was screaming in pain, and she was sure that she have accumulated quite a remarkable number of bruises. The side of her head felt swollen, and she touched it gingerly and found a bump there. At first she couldn't remember what happened, then the truth came crashing down upon her, and she remembered what happened. The competiton, the boys, Karo...she struggled to sit up in bed, and Zandos who had been boiling water outside the tent heard the groans and rushed in to her side.

'How are you feeling?' Zandos asked anxiously. 'You've been asleep for a day.'

'Awful,' Azmirah grimanced. 'Who won?'

'I made a poutice for your bump there on your head,' Zandos said hurridedly in roder to change the subject. 'Do you want some tea?'

'Zandos, i want to know-'

'Thank God you woke up, i don't know what to do if you didn't, Azmi-'

'Zandos!!' Azmirah shouted, wincing a little from the pain it caused in her head.

'Karo,' Zandos replied quietly, not looking at her. 'He won the competition.'

Azmirah looked down at her hands which were clasped together on the sheets, as anger burnt up slowly from her toes to her head, the bitter taste of defeat in her mouth. Karo. The one who betrayed her. Her brother. Zandos seemed to refuse to look at her while he brought her a cup of steaming hot herbal tea, as if out of pity. It simply irritated her more than ever. 'Zandos,' she said as he sat down next to her, still refusing to look at her. 'Look at me.' Zandos glanced at her, then looked away again. 'I know how you feel, Azmirah,' he sighed heavily. 'And i know what happened. This incident has happened before, what i'd feared for so long when i first took you in. I guess it's inevitable.' 'Before?' Azmirah frowned.

'Thirty years ago when you wasn't born yet, there was this girl like you who joined the warriors. I was the same age as her, so she was in my group. You shouldn't have heard of her before, but her name is Pirisa. She was unsettling like you in every way- she was the strongest amongst the group, and the best. The teacher favoured her, and the clan and the other boys depised her a lot, just like in your case. She was in her last years along with me, and she wanted to win the competition just like you,' Zandos began his story, his eyes having a faraway look as he recalled the past. 'She didn't like being caged up like the women, being ordered around by the men. She wanted to be free, to have a stand of her own. She wanted to fight along with the warriors, to show that she was capable of it. I remember that it was her greatest dream to win. Come to think of it, she looked unsettling like you too. Perhaps it was the look in her eyes. She wanted to be like the wind, and while the rest ignored her and insulted her, i thought that she was really brave and all to actually come and join us.

'She told me that if she won the competition, she was going to help all the women in the clan to make a stand. She knew that most of them thought that she was getting out of her place and was a terrible disgrace, but there was quite a number who rejoiced at that and thought that she was practically a hero, daring to do what they didn't. There were some like her, who wanted to be like the wind, but didn't have the courage to do so. She wanted to help them, to make a change. That day, the competition was held like today. I didn't notice anything wrong, and she had told me to do my best before we set off. That was the last time i ever heard of her. She never arrived at the other end. I was the one who won, and though i waited and waited, she never arrived. Two days later, the elders found her body in the forest, in one of the traps set by them-the deep hole meant to trap unsuspecting people. Only then did i understand what happened. I know that she wasn't silly enough to fall into such a trap, besides, i saw that some injuries were not caused by simply the trap alone. Pirisa was ambushed by the others, like you, but unfortunately, she never came out alive. The elders did not look deep into the matter because she was a girl, thus she was insignificant. Only then when i saw her broken mangled body on the ground did i realise how much harm envy can cause.' At that, Zandos paused. 'This is what i feared would happen to you when i first saw you. You was like the girl i loved thirty years ago. You had the same look in the eyes like her, and i feared that you would end up like her. But i took the risk, and i trained you. A part of me wanted to stop you, but the other part which wanted you to finish Pirisa's unfinished dream won over. I'm sorry, Azmirah. I shouldn't have gotten you into this because of my selfishness. If i didn't take you in, you wouldn't have ended up like this.' At that, Zandos fell silent.

'No, it's not your fault, Zandos,' Azmirah said. 'This Pirisa...did you love her?'

'Yes, i did. We loved each other, so when i saw you, it was as if i saw Pirisa alive again, thus i wanted you to finish her dream.'

'Pirisa's dream is my dream,' Azmirah said. 'Maybe i am her come alive again. Besides, i didn't end up dead this time. Maybe i can finish my dream and hers this time.'

'Azmirah...you must be knocked senseless by that blow to your head. Lie down and take a rest,' Zandos shook his head.

'I'm fine, other than the bruises and pain. I've thought it over. The boys cheated, and the elders didn't want to look into the matter. I'll sort it out myself,' at that, Azmirah smiled coldly, and almost made Zandos jump up from his chair at the ruthless and cold look in her eyes. 'I must thank you for training me so well. It was my fault to be caught unawares. I will finish Pirisa's dream along with mine-and yours. But i need your help.'

'What help?' Zandos asked, not liking what was going on in her head.

'I plan to...' Azmirah leant in and whispered in his ear. Zandos listened attentively, then shook his head. 'It is too great a risk, Azmirah. I cannot let you do this.'

'But Zandos, this is the only way. Besides, if i won, i will accomplish what Pirisa and i have set out to do. If i lose, then i have nothing to lose. Everyone despises me here, so there's nothing much i can do even if i keep on living.' Azmirah set her teeth against it. 'My heart is decided.'

'It's your life we're talking about, Azmirah,' Zandos muttered.

'My family doesn't want me, or else i wouldn't end up here,' Azmirah retorted, and Zandos looked away, knowing it was the truth. 'Everything depends on this bet. Please, Zandos.'

'Alright,' Zandos grunted. 'God forbid, but i don't know what made me say yes, but i promise to help you.'

'Thank you!!' Azmirah smiled at him, and Zandos, unused to emotional territories, scratched his head rather awkwardly and flushed.

-two weeks later-

It was the night of the formal gathering of the clan at full moon, and Azmirah looked around, noting that everyone was there, including the elders, and Karo. Karo now bore the tatoo of the strongest warrior in the clan, and when he saw her looking at he, he smirked, then looked away to talk with his friends. The bonfire that was burning brightly in the middle of the circle that they formed gave of a fiery heat and light, casting shadows deeper into the forest. This was the night that she has been waiting for, where everyone is present. She had trained all for this day, and she didn't allow herself to fail at all this time. It was now or never. The full moon shone her silver beams down upon her, as if wishing her luck. She closed her eyes and listened to the sounds of the forest. The wind rustling through the leaves of the trees, the familiar, musical sound of the river that promised life, and the sounds of the animals that lived within the foresty depths. This might be the last time she'll ever hear the sounds she loved all her life. Running through her plan one last time, she looked over to Zandos, her eyes conveying the message that now was the time. Zandos looked at her rather helplessly, clearly meaning that he wanted her to reconsider. Azmirah shook her head sadly and smiled apologetically. I have to do it, her eyes told him. There is no backing out now. Zandos studied his hands for a while, then looked up and gave her a watery smile, his eyes wishing her all the best. 'Then do me proud, Azmirah,' he mouthed. 'Don't let me see another death of a loved one in front of me.' Azmirah only smiled mysteriously back at him that she couldn't promise him, then taking in a deep breath, stood up.

'Elders, and all my friends here of my clan, Karo of the Jikoran Family has done me unjust two weeks ago at the competition of the warriors. He had ordered his friends to ambush me halfway, hoping to deter me from winning the goal,' she announced loudly and clearly, looking defiantly at Karo as she did so. 'I want to claim justice for his deeds, and have chosen tonight when everyone is present. He has won me by dirty means, and i want everyone to know him for what he is.'

'Are you bitter at your defeat, slut?' Karo asked, a cruel smile playing about his lips. 'Sit down and behave like what you're supposed to.'

'I am not bitter at my defeat, but at your acts. You are not worthy of your name, Karo Jikoran, and neither are you worthy enough to speak my name. I cannot believe that such an inhounourable man can have the title of being the strongest. How can he protect us when he cannot even uphold his honour?' Azmirah looked around the circle at the people. 'How can we trust him?'

'You do not have the prove, woman!!' Karo snarled, and Azmirah smiled inwardly to herself at his outward show of fear. 'She's a liar!!'

But at her words, the people have started to talk among themselves. Some believed her, while others repeated Karo's words that she was again acting out of place, bitter at her own defeat. 'Silence!!' The elder of the clan stood up, Malyen. 'You claim that Karo Jikoran has done you unjust, and how do you seek to prove that?'

'I do not have any proof to hold against my word, but what i say is true.'

'Liar!!' Karo screamed.

'By the right of the Gods, i suggest that we should see who is lying by way of Trial by Combat,' Azmirah said quietly. 'If i lose, i will take my defeat.'

'Karo Jikoran, do you agree to this contest?' Malyen turned to Karo, who's face was almost as red as a tomato from his fury.

'Yes!! I will show this woman what it means to slander me!!' he cried angrily, as the boys cheered him. 'Just wait, slut.'

'We shall see,' Azmirah smiled at him, and Karo gritted his teeth against what he saw in her eyes. The ruthlessness, and the arrogance. 'We shall see,' he hissed.

----------------------------------------------------------

Azmirah took off her excessive clothings while Karo stripped off his shirt. Both were equipped with a knife. Trial by Combat was exactly what it means, and it is a fight to the death. The Gods will let whoever they think just win, while the other dies. Azmirah felt her heartbeat increase as she stepped into the circle and faced Karo, who was busy glaring at her and made a gesture that she would die at his hands. 'Both of you will agree that this fight will be just and a fight to the end,' Malyen said loudly. 'Do both of you agree to this? If you wish to call it off, Azmirah of Toroe, you may.' Azmirah smiled at the name she was given. Toroe was Zandos' family, and just recently he has adopted her as his foster daughter. 'May i do you proud, Father,' she thought quietly as she spoke,'I agree to the terms given to me, Elder Malyen.' 'And i,' Karo snarled. 'Then let the fight begin!!' Malyen announced, raising his hands, then stepped out of the circle. The fight was on.

Karo and Azmirah circled each other, each measuring one another, sizing the other up, preparing for whatever move the other will make. 'You slut, how dare you blacken my name!' Karo hissed as he circled her. 'I'll teach you something.' 'It's surprising how you still have the face to agree to Trial by Combat,' Azmirah answered coolly. 'For all it may, the Gods may just decide to punish you for your black deeds.'

Karo launched himself at her, knife glinting in the firelight, but Azmirah neatly spun aside, unharmed as she dealt Karo a kick to the back that sent him sprawling into the ground. It was clear that he hadn't practiced after the competition. Azmirah, on the other hand had been training secretly with Zandos every day and night, and has improved drastically. Karo got up, face flushed from the humiliation, then rushed her. Azmirah dodged him easily again, and flicked her knife against his arm, and created a deep cut and blood flowed freely. First blood, more to come. The people gasped in disbelief, and Zandos watched on with knitted brow, praying fervently that nothing will come to harm Azmirah.

On his guard, Karo put more distance between him and Azmirah. Sweat was pouring down his face: he knew clearly that Azmirah was much better than him, and now he only depended luck to win. Azmirah stood where she was, watching him coolly, eyes alert, body ready to attack. Well, if he wasn't going to attack, she was. She ran at him, feigning a blow to his left with her knife and as he went to block her, she changed direction and slashed a deep cut on his other side. She saw his knife coming towards her, and blocked his wrist with hers and with a twist of her own, forced him to drop the weapon. Now Karo was weaponless. 'Do you admit defeat?' Azmirah asked quietly. To admit defeat was to mean that he had indeed won her by dirty means in the competition, and Karo can never swallow the humiliation. 'Never!!' he shouted, as he threw a punch to her face. Azmirah dropped to the ground in a crouch and then punched him in the stomach hard, and recovering, followed with a series of kicks and punches, blocking him neatly and effortlessly. Zandos watched her and marvelled at the way she moved. She was a true warrior, the way she moved was as if she was dancing. In this case, she can win.

Karo made one last attempt, and somehow managed to pick the knife back up from the floor again when Azmirah accidenlty let him some slack, and rushed her. Azmirah hadn't meant to kill him, but when she saw him coming towards her with his knife pointing towards her chest, she twisted aside, as Karo stumbled forwards into thin air, momentum bringing him overboard, and the moment he twisted, he had slashed his knife at her, which cut her cheek lightly, but Azmirah was much faster. Before he could even stab her with it, she had thrust her own deep within his chest up to the hilt. Everything happened so fast within a few seconds that no one realised what had happened until Karo slumped to the ground, blood pouring out of the gaping wound in his chest. 'Oh,' Azmirah said, stunned. She hadn't meant to kill him, and she hadn't intended to. She thought that he was smart enough to admit defeat before it was too late, but apparently he didn't. His blood was pooling up within his lifeless body, and some of it has spilled onto her clothes too. Dropping the knife, Azmirah looked around dully to see some of the people standing up and cheering her as Malyen announced that the Gods had decided that she was just, and that Karo had paid for his sin with his life. She was also given his title, but Azmirah felt no joy. There was only a dull empty sadness within her. Zandos beckoned to her after everything had settled down once again, and knowingly led her away from the group as the rest of the clan moved Karo's body away.

Later that night when dawn was about to break, Zandos found Azmirah standing at the cliff at the edge of the forest, so far that hardly anyone ventured there. She was staring down at the mountains and valleys below, and he marvelled once more at how alike she looked like his Pirisa. She looked like a Goddess, her raven black hair teased into a dance by the wind, her eyes dark and brooding, but he knew that she was experiencing pain on her part. No one can ever be free of guilt that she killed her own brother, no matter how he treated her.

'You did well, Azmirah,' Zandos sighed as he went up to stand next to her.

'Did i do right, Father, by killing Karo?' Azmirah asked softly. 'He was cruel to me, but he was my brother.'

'It is what the God decides,' Zandos answered as he pulled her into an embrace. 'He has paid for what he has done.'

'I know. I killed him.'

'I know. It was meant to be,' Zandos murmured. 'You need not blame yourself.'

'Maybe he didn't deserve it,' Azmirah sighed. 'He might not deserve to die. The punishment is far too great.'

'You did what you felt was right. There is no one to blame, only fate. It is that he must die, and so it is,' Zandos comforted her as well as he can. 'You have to get out of that darkness and get on with life, Azmirah. Promise me, that when the sun rises, you will forget about the darkness.'

'I cannot forget, Father,' Azmirah smiled sadly. 'The look in his eyes before he died. But i will move on. One can never forget, but one can learn to live with it.'

'A new life, you mean?'

'I already have a new life. With you, Father. Look, the sun is rising,' Azmirah smiled and pointed to the far horizon. 'A new day has begun.'

-The End-
Sign up to rate and review this story