Categories > Books > Harry Potter > If only for a moment

Death wears tight black shirts

by genini1 2 reviews

AU ignores HBP As Harry realizes where his friends loyalties lie he goes on a journey to discover himself and the power to defeat Voldemort. There is also vampires.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Fantasy - Characters: Dumbledore, Harry - Warnings: [!!!] [?] [V] - Published: 2007-04-17 - Updated: 2007-04-17 - 1872 words

3Original
Disclaimer I do not own Harry Potter.

It is 11 59 pm at number 4 Privet Drive and almost everything is perfectly normal just as the occupants strive to keep it. The bushes are neatly trimmed and the house had just received its yearly paint job to make it look fresh. Really there were only two things at all peculiar about the house. One is an occupant of the house, Harry Potter, who is strange in almost every aspect. For Harry Potter is a wizard, and not just any wizard but an extremely powerful one. At the current moment however Harry's position as oddest person at Privet Drive is being usurped by a man standing just outside of the wards protecting number four Privet Drive. Standing at 6 foot 3 inches the man is fairly tall and is covered in rippling muscles that seem poised to strike at any time. His hair is black and seemed to absorb the light surrounding it. Aristocratic features adorned his facing making him seem a member of the elite. Wearing blue jeans and a tight black shirt he could almost pass for just a normal person. That is except for the two inch fangs currently showing in his mouth. Yes Harry Potter has just had the position of strangest person on Privet Drive taken by a vampire.

At exactly midnight the vampire began chanting in a long dead language. As the guttural words came from his throat the wards surrounding the house began to glow a little. Seeing the glow the vampire smirked and continued chanting until at long last the wards seemed to shatter at though a pane of glass and fall to the ground and disappear. Thus with the beginning of his mission complete he walked up the street and past the perfectly manicured lawns. Up the steps into number four uttered a quick unlocking charm and disappeared from the inky blackness of the night and into the house.

Taking a cursory glance around the entrance way and seeing nothing of importance he gradually walked up the stairs before stopping out side the door of Harry Potter. Laying his head against the door he listened for the sound of breathing on the other side before he quietly turned the knob and opened the door.

Hearing the almost silent swish of air that heralded a door being opened Harry awoke in an instant and grasped his wand tightly in his hand. Seeing an unknown figure enter his room in the middle of the night Harry reacted the only way he knew. Leaping out of the bed he cast his first spell.

"Stupefy" Harry yelled hoping to catch the figure unaware. Unfortunately for him the figure simply bent to the side allowing the spell to sail harmlessly into a wall while the man strode forward and cast a spell of his own.

"Immobulus" the man spoke in a deep raspy voice. Harry turned to avoid the spell but in turning he left himself open to the man's next spell. "Incarcerous" he said and with that Harry found himself bound in ropes on the floor. The man then proceeded to summon Harry's wand a cast a silencing spell on Harry to keep him quiet.

"Now "the man began "I am here to talk with you and you will talk and not start yelling and screaming for help, because I assure you no one will be able to help you now. If you agree to remain quiet nod your head once and I will remove the spell." Seeing no other option Harry slowly nodded his head and the man waved his wand removing the silencing spell.

"Who are you and why are you here" Harry started as soon as the spell was lifted.

"My name is Jeva ,I am a vampire, and I have been sent here by the Vampires council to have a talk discussion with you." The man intoned with an air of great importance.

"And what would that talk be about, you should know I would never join Voldemort." Harry said while his eyes darted about looking for a way to escape his current situation.

"I am here on behalf of the council to offer you an alliance of sorts and this does not mean joining Voldemort." Jeva said adding the last part quickly seeing Harry starting to say something.

"Really and why should I listen to anything you say after all you just broke in and attacked me?"

"Yes well there is a good reason for why I did what I did." Jeva said sounding as if the reason was obvious and Harry was stupid for not realizing it.

"And what reason would that be hmmm." Harry replied while settling down for a more comfortable spot on the floor.

"The only time I could approach you is tonight and you would not exactly be willing to talk with an unknown figure in the middle of the night now would you."

"Your right I wouldn't have but since you're here supposedly to offer me an alliance how about undoing these ropes they are cutting of my circulation."

"I will remove them only if you promise to listen to everything I have to say before making a decision."

"I don't have much of a choice do I, well I agree now remove them."

"As you wish." And with a wave of his wand the ropes surrounding Harry disappeared with a slight pop; leaving behind only chafed skin as evidence of their existence. Rubbing his raw wrists to get the blood flowing Harry motioned for Jeva to continue speaking. "I have been sent here as a messenger of the council to offer you our help in your fight against Voldemort." Jeva began but was cut off by Harry.

"Why would the vampires want to fight against Voldemort? They sided with him during his first reign didn't they?" Harry interrupted only to receive and annoyed look in his direction courtesy of an irritated vampire.

"I was getting to that if you would let me finish. Now yes the vampires have sided with Voldemort before but that is the precise reason we no longer wish to associate with him. He broke too many of the promises he made in order to sway us to his side the first time. He swore we would stop being treated as inferiors and more like equals. We were also to have access to a book which contains the recipe for a blood replacement potion that we could use as sustenance. On both counts he did not deliver as promised, and even worse the potion he said to have found turned out to be toxic to vampires and ended up killing a council member."

"So basically you only want to help me because you don't like Voldemort anymore, is that it?"

"Yes that is correct."

"Why did you come to me then "Harry said in an annoyed tone as he got up and started to pace the floor "I'm only a student why not go to Dumbledore or the ministry with your alliance"

"The ministry" replied in a tone of disdain "is an utter waste of resources. All they care about is hiding from muggles and protecting their pureblood values. They would never accept our offer and even if they did after the war we would be cast aside like yesterdays garbage as has happened to so many other races. Dumbledore is just as bad as the ministry he would have us fight for him but he would do nothing to aid us, he will not receive our help."

"Well then why me, what makes you come to me out of everyone else to pick?" Harry said while looking in to Jeva's eyes, practicing his meager occlumency skills to see if he is lying.

"Come now Harry everyone knows you are the only one Voldemort truly fears and we even know that there is a prophecy concerning the final battle between the two of you. The main reason however is that we know of your above average tolerance of magical beings and you are likely the only person who would help us after the war as well as during." Jeva said with a sigh, the situation clearly wearing on him.

"And what exactly do I have to gain from accepting your offer; you said something about helping me but not what that entails." Harry said finally starting to seriously consider what Jeva is telling him.

"Unfortunately I do not have all of the details as I am only a messenger however the council would like to meet you later today if you are amenable to it."

"And I am just supposed to go to a coven of vampires alone, solely on the word of a vampire who has already attacked me." Harry said lacing the statement with as much sarcasm as he could in his tired state.

"If you would like the meeting could be arranged outside of the coven, however you must understand that security is paramount and that is their first major concern. I can give you my oath as a Vampire that you will not be harmed while in the coven." Jeva finished with a slight grimace at the thought of having to give an oath to a wizard.

At the offer of an oath Harry became surprised, knowing that a vampires oath put them completely at the mercy of the recipient of the oath. Should the terms be violated Harry could demand anything from Jeva and if Jeva purposely broke the oath he would immediately die. Seeing the seriousness in the vampires eyes Harry agreed to go to the coven if Jeva took the vow. Nodding once Jeva took out a plain silver knife placed it against his palm, and in one quick motion sliced a deep gash into his hand. Walking up to Harry he quickly drew a 6-pointed star on his forehead right next to the lightning bolt scar. Chanting quickly in the vampiric tongue Jeva established the bond between them which materialized and shined a bright red color for a few seconds before slowly fading into nothingness leaving no physical trace of the connection between the two.

Blinking as the light faded looked at Jeva and asked "Where is the coven, what time is the meeting and how do I get there?"

Taken aback by the quick barrage of questions but quickly regaining his senses Jeva handed Harry a portkey in the shape of a pen and told him to activate it at 4 PM by using the phrase The Coven. Taking the portkey both of them jumped at the sounds of a crack outside the house. Quickly looking outside he saw order members come running in with wands drawn. Looking at Jeva Harry told him to get out fast. Nodding in agreement Jeva took out his wand and prepared to apparate disappearing just before someone managed to get in the room.


Authors note: Thanks to everyone who read and reviewed the first chapter thanks to Annf and to abhi1234 this story will not be a super powered Harry story nor will it be slash. The next chapter wont be up for a while but it will be significantly longer so have patience.
Sign up to rate and review this story