Categories > Original > Mystery

The Hitchhiker

by lost_in_the_shuffle 1 review

Never Give Rides To Strangers

Category: Mystery - Rating: R - Genres: Action/Adventure - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2007-04-23 - Updated: 2007-04-23 - 1417 words - Complete

2Exciting
The drive home from work was boring at best, Martha's fingers drummed on the steering wheel as she took the long dark drive she could make in her sleep. She was later than usual getting home because of some work she had to catch up on.
She glanced at the dashboard clock, 1:00am. Luckily she was off for two weeks and wouldn't have to make the drive again for awhile.
As she drove her headlights caught something at the edge of the road, slowing down she saw a young man standing there he saw her car and flagged her down, Martha stopped the car and rolled down the window. "Do you need help?"
She asked as he leaned in, "yeah hey thanks for stopping," he said, "I don't suppose you can drive me to a service station?" Martha unlocked the door, "get in."
They drove in silence for a while, than the young man said "my name is David," Martha glanced at him, "I'm Martha" she said.

Martha began to slow as she noticed police blocks up ahead. She saw motion out of the corner of her eye, than tensed when David pressed a knife into her ribs, "just keep driving," he hissed in her ear. "If they stop you, act like nothings wrong" the police officer motioned for her to stop, she rolled down her window.
"What seems to be the problem officer?" She asked aware of the knife pressed into her ribs, "escaped convict ma'am," the officer said. He peered into the car at David who seemed to be sleeping, "be careful ma'am," he said before he waved the car on.

David waited until the police block had disappeared from view, than he pocketed his knife. "Looks like I'm gonna need a ride worse than I thought," he said, 'that means, you're going to be the one taking me." "Look David," Martha said desperately, "I don't know what you did, I don't care. But I have a baby at home who needs me."
David looked at her, "I don't really give a shit bitch," he sneered, as he grabbed her by the hair. "You're going to drive me," he flung her head back. "Now drive bitch."

Martha could feel David's eyes staring at her as they drove, "I killed five people," he bragged, "tied them up in an old school bus and lit it on fire." Martha blinked back tears of fear, "why are you telling me this?" She whispered, "just so you'll know not to fuck with me." He answered leaning his head back against the passenger seat.
"You don't have to do this you know," Martha said desperately trying to connect with him. "You can leave me off on the side of the road and take the car." David laughed harshly and leaned close to Martha, "you're just in case the police catch up to me. I'm not going back to jail." He pulled out his knife and jammed it into the dashboard, causing her to scream. "I'll kill you first," he hissed.

Finally they came to a motel, "pull in here." David ordered, "I'm tired." Martha pulled in and David got out, coming around to her side of the car. He pulled her out and pressed his knife against her side. "Now what you're going to do is act causal," he breathed into her ear. "If you try to get help, I'll kill you and the desk clerk." He pushed her toward the door of the motel lobby, a bell clanging as they entered.
"I'd like a room please," she said to the bored looking desk clerk behind the counter. David gave her cash for the room, dashing her hopes that the police would be able to follow a paper trail, than he grabbed her arm, and the walked to the room.
He opened the door and pushed her inside, closing and dead bolting the door behind them. He pushed her down on the bed, taking some handcuffs out of the bag he had brought in. He handcuffed her to the bed, than stared down at scared face, "you know," he said caressing the knife against her face, making her tense up in fear. "You aren't a bad looking woman," he laughed at the fear that sprung into her eyes and rolled over. "Don't worry," he sneered, "I prefer my women a little less frigid."
He turned off the bed side lamp and went to sleep, leaving Martha staring into the darkness in fear.

The next morning he unlocked her handcuffs, "go to the bathroom," he ordered. After she did, she slipped out of the bathroom, seeing that David was watching a new bulletin on her disappearance.
She bolted for the door, clawing at the dead bolt, trying to unlock it. She screamed as she felt David's arms grab her, flinging her on the bed. He grabbed his knife, pressing it to her throat. " I said not to fuck with me bitch!" He screamed in her face, "I'll slit your throat!" He grabbed her arm wrenching it behind her back, until she cried out in pain. "Remember that," he said as he flung her back onto the bed. "Next time the pain will be worse, if you try to escape again."

He grabbed her arm, yanking her off the bed again. "We're leaving," he said pushing her toward the door roughly, "remember you try to get help, I'll kill you and whoever helps you."
They got into the car and he handed her the keys, "drive bitch."
Martha's mind whirled as she tried to think of a way to escape this mad man. She knew eventually he wouldn't need her anymore, than he would kill her. Suddenly she heard a slight pop and felt the car shudder. David swore as she pulled along side the road, "Fucking flat tire," he swore, than he grabbed Martha's arm pulling her toward him. "I'm going to fix this, if you try to escape. You will regret it," he drew his knife between her breasts, causing her to tense. Than he got out of the car, leaving Martha trembling.
Martha closed her eyes and thought of her beautiful baby girl Samantha, of her husband Tim and knew she had to do something. She pushed open the car door quickly and bolted. She heard David swear behind her and begin to pursue her. Martha ran as fast as she could down the road, she could hear him behind her as he got closer. In desperation she veered off into the woods, hoping that the trees would slow him down.
She heard him crashing along behind her, and she grasped a large tree branch swinging it at him as he came into view. He dropped, she threw the branch aside and started to run past him. He grabbed her leg, sending her sprawling. She kicked and screamed, as he straddled her, blood pouring down his face from the wound she inflected. She spat in his face and he slapped her, before taking his knife and pressing it against her throat. "I warned you twice bitch," he snarled, "now you're going to suffer."
She tried to wrest the knife away from him, and he grabbed her wrists with one of his hands. Breathing heavily she closed her eyes as he raised the knife, expecting to feel its bite into her flesh, suddenly she heard a gun fire and David twitched before slumping forward on top of her. Martha cried out and fought to get out from under the body, as a police officer approached carefully with his gun drawn.
He jerked the body off of her and helped her up. "Mrs. Jackson?" he asked as he led her out of the woods, she just nodded mutely. She saw a familiar figure step out from behind the ambulance, "Tim," she cried as he ran and embraced her. Than for the first time in almost two days she broke down and cried.

"The desk clerk from the motel recognized you from this morning's bulletin," the police officer explained, as they started to put her in the ambulance. "He called the police and alerted them."
The officer paused, "you don't have to worry about David Manson, any more." He said, "he's dead. The officer began to walk away, than turned back. "You're a very lucky woman," he said than left.
Martha looked at her husband as they put her in the ambulance, "yes very lucky," she whispered.
Than the ambulance drove away.
Sign up to rate and review this story