Categories > Celebrities > My Chemical Romance > The Tragic Tale of The Black Parade

Epilogue: One Life to Live

by horsie890 7 reviews

It's the epilogue! Wooo! This is really the last chapter. I hope you've liked my story; now go back and rate it!

Category: My Chemical Romance - Rating: PG - Genres: Angst, Drama - Characters: Gerard Way, Other - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2007-04-25 - Updated: 2007-04-26 - 947 words

2Moving
"What are you doing here?" the girl asked in amazement. "It's been a long time. I thought you were in the hospital." The man suddenly embraced her.

"I was. But I've been given a second chance."

"What does that mean?" she asked with a frown, pulling away from him. He smiled at her.

"It means this." He gently kissed her, something that had not happened in quite some time. It felt right.

"...I was going to go visit my friend's grave...I think I owe it to him," he finally said. "It's been too long." His girlfriend nodded. She hugged him, placing her chin on his shoulder.

"Yes, it has."
-
He stared at the numbers filling the cell phone's screen. There they were, dialed and ready. All he had to do now was press the call button...

"I can't do it," he said finally, closing the phone. His girlfriend glanced at him from the driver's seat of the car.

"You have to. Don't make me do it for you," she said in a tone of warning. He sighed and opened the phone. The number was still there, almost mocking him.

"She hates me."

"She doesn't hate you. Give me that," she said suddenly, stealing the phone and pressing the call button, then holding the object up to his ear. "Talk." He rolled his eyes and held the phone, feeling his hand start to tremble. How long had it been? Five years?

"Hello?" His voice caught in his throat. He couldn't speak.

"Talk," his girlfriend said through gritted teeth. He took a deep breath.

"...Hi mom..."

"Why are you calling me?" His breathing shuddered.

"...I'm out of the hospital..." Now it was her turn to be silent. "The cancer's completely gone."

"...That's great..." He was getting more and more frustrated by the second. She was making this impossible.

Don't waste the life I've given you.

He had made a promise.

"Hey, mom? I'm sorry. For everything. I never should have left."

"I'm glad you're okay," she said softly. She sounded like she was on the edge of tears.

"I can come by later...if that's okay," he added hurriedly. He wasn't even sure he would be welcome in his own home.

"That would be nice." He smiled and hung up. His girlfriend looked at him expectantly.

"Well?"

"Okay, okay, you were right. That wasn't as bad as I thought it would be," he said in mock defeat, unable to hide the smile. He hadn't really felt this happy in a long time.

"Told you."
-
The car's tires crunched on the loose gravel. He looked out the window nervously, not wanting to go outside just yet. He wasn't ready. Not yet.

"We're here." The girl's voice broke the silence.

"I know," he said softly, almost to himself. He heard the car's other door open and close, then sighed and exited the car as well. It was cloudy outside. The green, too-perfect grass contrasted with the silver sky. He suddenly realized he didn't know where he was going.

"Hey...do you know where he is?" he asked his girlfriend, who stood nearby waiting for him. She nodded and took his hand, leading him down a path in the center of the cemetery. She took a left turn and stopped after a few steps. He knelt next to the rounded stone and sighed deeply.

"I can leave you alone, If you want," the girl said quietly. He nodded once, and she walked away.

He ran one finger over the words etched into the stone, not really reading them. 'You were only sixteen,' he thought to himself. 'You had your whole life ahead of you.'

Nice to see you.

He looked up. No one was there, but the words continued to appear in his mind without a voice.

For a while I thought you weren't going to come.

'I was...busy.' He thought back on his journey. He wondered if his friend was in the Black Parade.

I know. I've been watching you for some time. I would have said something, but we are not allowed much freedom in the Black Parade. Though with the leader gone, things may soon change.

'If it weren't for me, he wouldn't be gone.'

If it weren't for him, you would be gone. He wants you to remember that.

'I know.' He sighed deeply. 'But it still isn't fair.'

Life's not fair. He's trying to be.

He smiled. He saw that now.

"You ready to go?" his girlfriend asked, placing a hand on his shoulder. He stood and faced her.

"Yeah. I think so."

"Did you read the poem on it?" He frowned. He hadn't read any of it.

"No, why?" The girl sighed.

"Because I wrote it." He smiled and knelt down to the stone once again, this time paying attention to the words.

Laugh your heart out
And dance in the rain
Cherish the memories
Ignore the pain
Love and learn
Forget and forgive
And remember
You only have one life to live


He stood slowly, feeling his eyes begin to water.

"It's beautiful." The tears finally began to fall.

"I'm sorry this had to happen to you," the girl said sadly. She knew this had to be difficult for him. He shook his head, turning around to face her.

"He's okay now. He's finally safe," he said confidently. The girl gave a small smile. "We can leave now," he muttered.

"Good. Because I think there's someone who wants to see you." He smiled through his tears and followed her back to the car. The words of the short poem ran through his mind again and again.

'You only have one life to live.'
Sign up to rate and review this story