Categories > Books > Silmarillion > Requiem

The Passing

by Rhapsody 0 reviews

Celegorm and Huan: once companions until Huan left his side. Requiem tells the tale after what happened after Huan's passing. We start with Celegorm who reflects on what Huan meant for him. Beta...

Category: Silmarillion - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst, Drama - Published: 2007-05-04 - Updated: 2007-05-04 - 399 words

0Unrated
Grant them eternal rest, O Lord, and may light eternal shine upon them.
The just shall live in memory everlasting: and shall not be in fear of ill report.




The mournful sound was carried by the wind coming from the West and seemed but a whisper to me. The murmur dealt a blow to my heart; you were gone. For hours, I sought for a place to find peace, leaving my brother at the dining table to let this sink in. I am certain now that he knows, for not many can reach my heart these days as you once could.

So tell me, why do I weep bitter tears for you? You were my faithful companion, our bond forged on the blessed grounds of Valinor. Gifted by Oromë, you followed me to this forsaken world on Arda, ever remaining true to your nature. My oath was not yours, yet you willingly took on the same doom that we shared the moment we sailed eastwards. With whom shall I hunt with equal passion? Who will follow my horn with the love and affection you gave me, chief of the wolfhounds? Gone are those days and I do mourn for them.

How sorely I was mistaken to think we would last forever, that there would be forgiveness for me. Or that you would face your fate at my side, a fate we both long expected would happen. Not only did you betray me once, but you fell under her spell as I did. Why did you bring her to me? Blinded by her grace, you did not wish to see the intent of her enchantment. But I did, and chose to save the life of my brother in the end.

Today the horns delivered me news of your death. No longer will there be a chance that you will return to me as you did twice before. Was your last fight bitter? Did you think of me when you drew your final breath? Awareness of your passing pierces my soul, bludgeons me with the loss of your true heart and loyalty. May you forgive me for my wrongful deeds, my blessed friend.




Absolve, O Lord, the souls of all the faithful departed from every bond of sin.
And by the help of Thy grace may they be enabled to escape the avenging judgement.
And enjoy the happiness of everlasting life.
Sign up to rate and review this story