Categories > Original > Mystery

The Locker

by lost_in_the_shuffle 1 review

After her best friend's death, a woman finds a key to a locker, that holds a deadly secret.

Category: Mystery - Rating: PG - Genres: Action/Adventure - Published: 2007-05-08 - Updated: 2007-05-09 - 933 words - Complete

1Exciting
Ivy stood there, staring at the casket of her best friend Lola, closing her eyes she blocked out the voice of the minister. Last week Lola had called her, "I need to talk to you Ivy," she had said, "it's urgent." But Ivy had put her off, "I can't today, how about lunch tomorrow."
Lola had reluctantly agreed, but she had died before they ever got to talk again. Ivy squeezed her eyes together as tears rolled down her cheeks, "if only I had agreed to meet her when she wanted." She thought sadly, "she wouldn't have been walking down those subway stairs, she wouldn't have fallen and broken her neck."
Ivy began to sob, as Steven her boyfriend put a comforting arm around her, the service ended, and she stepped forward to drop a rose on the lowering casket. Ivy felt the tears stream down her face, as she remembered Lola smiling, laughing, she could almost hear her saying the stupid nickname she had given Ivy in junior high, Ivie Godivey.
"I'm so sorry Lola," she whispered, "I should've been there for you." She felt Steven gently grasp her arm, leading her away from Lola's casket.

Ivy opened the door to Lola's studio, it had been two weeks since her funeral, but Ivy couldn't bring herself to come go through Lola's things until today.
She walked through the apartment that she knew as well as her own. Steven had offered to come with her, but Ivy had said no. She needed to do this alone.
She began to go through Lola's possessions, dividing things into piles, she was stacking up some books, when one fell off the heap, landing open on the floor. Ivy picked it up and something dropped out, she put the book aside, picking up the object off the floor.
It was a key, she realized to a locker located at the subway station, as she gazed at the little key she felt a chill, but didn't know why. A voice in her head told her, to go find out what was in that locker. She got up and rushed out of the apartment, she quickly walked to the subway station, and located the locker number that was stamped on the key.

Ivy opened the locker, there was a metal box inside, Ivy opened it up, it contained pictures and a note. The note said "Ivy if you're reading this, I know that these pictures have led to my death. I love you Ivie Godivey and I know I can trust you to get these to the police." It was signed Lola Bo Bola. Ivy looked at the pictures. They were of Steven's boss, a well-known politician, taking money from a known mobster. "Oh Lola," Ivy thought brushing tears away with her hand, "what did you get yourself into?"

She stuck the pictures in her purse, putting the box back in the locker and locking the door. As she began to walk back to the stairway, she realized nervously how empty it was, she heard footsteps behind her and she sped up, hearing the footsteps speed up too. She began to run, suddenly a hand grabbed her arm, she screamed and struggled.
"Ivy it's me," a familiar voice said, "Steven?" She said stopping her struggles, "what are you doing here?" He looked at her with a grave expression on his face, "I want those pictures Ivy." Ivy backed up, "oh Steven," she said, "please don't tell me you're involved too." He shook his head, "I'm sorry Ivy," he said advancing on her, "I never wanted you to be a part of this." She looked at him angrily, "you killed Lola?"
"I had to kill her," Steven said, "she was going to take those pictures to the police, I couldn't let her ruin my bosses career, I couldn't let her ruin mine."
He grabbed Ivy's arm, "give me the pictures," he yelled. Ivy shook her head.
She hit him with her purse, turning and running toward the stairs, she heard the sound of Steven's footsteps as he pursued her, he suddenly grabbed her arm sending her purse flying. The ground trembled beneath them as a subway approached, "I'm sorry Ivy," he yelled, "you know too much." He started to drag her toward the edge of the platform.
Ivy began to struggle with him, smacking him across the nose causing it to bleed. Closer and closer the subway came, as Steven tried to push her off the edge of the platform.
Ivy threw her weight to the side falling to the ground, she screamed in horror as Steven pitched forward under the subway as it rushed by.

Later after Ivy gave the pictures to the police she found out the whole story, Lola had been working on a story about corruption in the government, somehow she had found out that Steven's boss had been taking bribes from the mob. Not knowing that Steven was in on it too, she told him about the pictures, and said she was telling Ivy, than taking them to the police.
Steven had followed Lola, confronting her on the subway stairs, they had struggled and she had fallen, later he had offered to help Ivy with Lola's things so he could search for the pictures.

Later after Ivy had packed up Lola's apartment, she looked at the last picture her and Lola had taken together. She smiled, Steven's boss was found guilty for accepting bribes and was looking at serious jail time. "Justice was done, Lola Bo Bola," she whispered, "you can rest in peace now."
Sign up to rate and review this story