Categories > Original > Fantasy > The Lazarus Cure

The Lazarus Cure

by lost_in_the_shuffle 1 review

In the days before World War II, The German's will do anything to obtain The Lazarus Cure.

Category: Fantasy - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Horror - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2007-05-09 - Updated: 2007-05-10 - 795 words

0Original
It was the March of 1939 mere months before the breakout of World War Two, Adolf Hitler had risen to power six years before. War was looming over the world and the German army were looking for a way to make sure it ended in their favor.
A scientist worked in his lab, unaware of the important part he would play in history.

Dr. Simon Manchester rubbed his eyes, he had injected one of the dead lab mice with the new serum he had developed, so far nothing. He got up to stretch his legs, he had been sitting for about an hour, waiting, hoping for a result. He sat back down and opened the cage to dispose of the mouse, his eyes widened, the mouse was twitching! Simon jumped up, causing his chair to topple, running out of the room, down the hall to where his lab assistant was working. "Pauline," he shouted, "it's working, it's actually working!" Pauline followed Simon back into the lab where she gazed in awe, the little white lab mouse sat there, looking as if it hadn't been dead. Pauline hugged Simon as he gave a whoop for joy. Their miracle serum, something they had been working on for years had worked. There was hope for those who had died too young, loved ones could be brought back now. "We'll call it The Lazarus Cure," Simon said as they stared at reverence at the reanimated mouse. As Pauline carefully put it back in the cage with the other mice, she didn't notice the predatory glaze in its eyes.

Simon walked down the street toward his house, he was still giddy, it had been two days and the mouse was still alive. He didn't notice the car slowly following him until a beautiful blond woman rolled down the back window calling his name, "Dr. Simon Manchester?" She asked with a thick German accent, "yes," he said stopping, "can I help you?" The woman smiled, "I certainly hope so," she opened the car door, "please won't you get in, I have a proposition for you."
Simon got into the car and it begun to move, "Herr Manchester," the woman began, "we have become aware that you have developed something called The Lazarus Cure, which reanimates the dead." Simon frowned, "how do you know about that?" He demanded, the woman smiled slightly.
"That does not matter Herr Manchester," she said leaning forward, "what matters is that Hitler and The German regimen are very interested in your serum. We are prepared to offer you whatever amount of money you want in return for The Lazarus Cure."
Simon shook his head, "The Lazarus Cure isn't for sale," he said, "not for any amount of money." The woman's eyes narrowed, "do not be foolish Herr Manchester, think of it, if used properly your serum could make The German army invincible. War is looming, Herr Manchester, you know it as well as I."
Simon shook his head, "I'm sorry, but the Lazarus Cure isn't for sale," he repeated. The woman signaled for the driver to stop, "very well Herr Manchester," she said as he got out of the car. The car roared down the road, as Simon stared after it.

Simon ran into the lab. He had received a phone call from Pauline saying that there was a problem with the mice, he found Pauline staring in shock at the cage, that held the mice. she looked at Simon in the eyes, "look in the cage," she said. Simon slowly approached the cage, mice lay everywhere their little bodies torn open, blood and guts strewn around. The reanimated mouse sat in the middle of it, covered in blood and gore. Simon reached into the cage and the mouse lunged at him trying to bite his fingers, he quickly jerked his hand back. Suddenly the door to the lab burst open and a large man rushed inside, "I will take the Lazarus Cure Herr Manchester," he said. Simon stood up, "you have no idea what this does when it reanimates," he said. The man smiled ferally, "if you do not give it willingly then I will have to force you to hand it over." He rushed at Simon, who sidestepped the man who crashed into the mouse cage, sending it toppling over. The man began to shriek as the reanimated mouse skittered up his body and began gnawing at his throat.
Simon grabbed his briefcase, which held the serum, and Pauline's hand, rushing out of the lab. He heard footsteps pounding up the stairs, and quickly opened the door to the broom closet pushing Pauline inside. He shut the door, hissing in her ear, "don't make a sound," as the footsteps ran past the closet into the lab.
Sign up to rate and review this story