Categories > Anime/Manga > Inuyasha > Unexpected Endeavors

Unexpected Solutions

by scottishfae 0 reviews

IYFG Nominee // An unexpected request rocks the shard hunting group when Kagome, mistakenly, agrees to the deal. Now the group must not only deal with the end of their quest but a moody Kagome, an ...

Category: Inuyasha - Rating: R - Genres: Drama, Humor, Parody, Romance - Characters: Inuyasha, Kagome, Kikyo, Kirara, Koga, Miroku, Naraku, Rin, Sango, Sesshoumaru, Shippo - Published: 2007-05-16 - Updated: 2007-05-17 - 2491 words

0Unrated
A/Ns: Okay. So my apologies on the craptasticness of this chapter. This was a very hard chapter to write. It's probably very hard to read too, apologies again.



This chapter is dedicated to Akume - [aff]. You're like almost dead on with your guess. Like seriously, are you in my mind? 'Cause, that's a dangerous place to be. ^__^


Chapter Three;

*

"Are you sure?" Kagome moaned.

She sat with her legs curled up, her head tucked between her legs and her body. Her voice was muffled but the desperate tone was not lost on anyone in the room. Shippo's tail bristled at the sight of the girl's anguish and he tried to scurry over to her in hopes of comfort. Miroku stopped him, however.

Inuyasha had taken a possessive position standing next to her, leaning against the wall, one foot propped up flat against the cool surface. He had a scowl marring his face as he glared at the wall across from him and the various drying herbs that were hanging there. His arms were shoved up into his sleeves and crossed defensively in front of him.

"From what I understand of youkai society," Kaede said.

She stopped and served a bowl of stew to Sango. The taijiya took it but put it aside without taking a bite. Kaede rolled her eyes before continuing.

"From what I understand of youkai society, honor is very highly regarded. Breaking a promise, especially one of such high importance, would not be something looked well upon by any youkai and could possibly lead to disastrous consequences."

Inuyasha snorted. "As if I couldn't handle anything that bastard tried to do."

"It's more than that," Miroku said. He was looking down at the simmering stew, his thoughts deep into the situation. "Once damaged, one's reputation and honor can almost never be repaired. This could affect her life within interactions with humans as well. If Kagome-san decides not to honor her agreement, no matter how unintentional the deal was made on her part, then Sesshomaru could easily take it into his power to ruin her in every means possible."

"Or given who we're dealing with," Sango whispered. "He could just kill her."

Inuyasha growled deep. His eyes were hard and his teeth barred. "He'll have to get through me first and I won't allow that."

The hanyou looked down as he felt a tug at his clothes. Kagome had raised her head and was giving him a gentle smile. Her eyes were laced with fear and worry and her hands were slightly shaking. "Thanks Inuyasha," she said quietly.

She turned to face the rest of the group. She gave a deep sigh and hoisted herself off the floor. "I-I'm going to go home for a bit," she said.

"Kagome-chan?" Sango said.

The taijiya stood but Kagome shook her head. "I want to go talk to my mom for a bit. I'll be back soon."

Turning to Inuyasha she gave another slight smile to him before stepping forward to kiss his cheek. Both hanyou and miko blushed. "I'll come back on my own, so if you wouldn't mind letting me spend some time with my family."

Miroku and Kaede shared a look before the monk broke contact and looked down solemnly down at the floor.

Inuyasha nodded. "I'll walk you to the well," he said.

While he didn't know why, his hands were shaking and there was an anxious flutter in his stomach.

"Thanks," Kagome said. "I'd like that."

She turned to the rest of the group and bid them farewell before leaving with the hanyou towards the well. Her large yellow pack lay forgotten in one of the corner hut.

"Do you think," Miroku said softly, once he felt sure Inuyasha and Kagome were not in hearing range anymore. "That Sesshomaru chose her because he knew that if he got her to agree, she wouldn't go back on her word."

"It's possible," Kaede said.

Sango worried her lip before picking up her previously forgotten stew. It had cooled some but was still steaming a bit. Shippo had crawled up onto Miroku's shoulder, clutching to the dark robes anxiously. Kaede served out two more bowls for the other occupants of the room.


*

The Taiyoukai looked around the area scanning signs for imperfection. He had taken great measure in scouting his lands for a spot that would be suitable to build a home for the miko and his heir. Seeing as he would not be able to stay there permanently, he needed a place that was well protected and easily defendable. He also paid careful attention to find a location that was both close to his own palace home and near the human village that the miko often frequented.

The site before him looked suitable. It was a long, island-like formation that had been carved out by the great river that ran through the Western Lands. The river started in the mountains where the Western Palace was located then traveled southeast before splitting and winding its way around the fruitful lands. This particular portion of the river was one of the five main stems of the divided river and it was already beginning to break off into another tributary, forming the island Sesshomaru was now standing on.

Years of flood seasons had carved the land out so that it hung high over the river during its normal months. When the rains came the water would reach only to the edge of the island, if the year did not become heavy with excessive rains. On the other side of the small landform was the tributary. It was more of a creek than anything, the waters barely going over one's ankles at its deepest. The smaller body of water flowed around the island before coming back to meet the river and then branching off again. During the flood season it would rise a bit, but the still forming creek bed would prevent it from taking on too much water and overbearing the island that lay on its left.

"Jaken," Sesshomaru called.

His voice was as crisp and cool as the early morning hours and he waited with a slight impatience for his retainer to come to his side.

"Yes, my Lord?"

The Taiyoukai looked down as the toad prostrated himself on the ground. He had to resist the urge to roll his eyes. "To the north there is a human village,"

"Yes, Sesshomaru-sama," Jaken said, eagerly. "Would you like me to have it destroyed?"

"No--"

"Would you like me to enslave the women?"

"No--"

"The children?"

"No--"

Jaken gulped. "The.../men/?"

Sesshomaru's impatience with his retainer ended as he kicked the smaller youkai across the island and into the river. He watched, disinterested, as the toad floated down river, screaming for the Taiyoukai to save him.

With a sigh he realized that he needed the annoying servant for the menial tasks he outright refused to do. Not to mention that good, loyal help was very hard to find. With a flash of white, Sesshomaru grabbed the toad from the water and dropped him on the shore. Jaken set about groveling his thanks immediately.

"Enough!"

The retainer silenced himself and awaited his orders. "Take Rin," he paused for the groan that came from the smaller youkai. A smile flirted dangerously at the Taiyoukai's lips.

"Take Rin and go to the village in the north. Gather able men and have them return to this spot to construct the miko's home."

"Y-you're building the miko--"

"If it is required, offer a monetary settlement for their work. I will also require servants, /women only/, for when miko comes here at the new moon. Mostly I will supply youkai to assist her, but Higurashi Kagome may require other human companionship as well."

"H-Higurashi--/Inuyasha's wench/?" Jaken screeched.

Sesshomaru grunted in displeasure from the high-pitched sound. "You will not make such a noise again Jaken, or I will have your head and not bother to revive you."

Jaken bowed low and apologized, excessively.

"Go Jaken, and do as I told you to do. Meet me back here by nightfall. I will have returned with the materials needed."

"Sesshomaru-sama," Jaken prodded. "There is a village closer, just east of here. Why not go there?"

Sesshomaru shot a glare to the toad that shut him up. "Go Jaken. I have much to gather and a home for my heir is required quickly."

The toad bowed low and shuffled off towards a large field where Rin was humming quietly to herself as she gathered wild flowers for Ah-Un to eat.

*

Kagome stepped out of the well house and looked over the silent shrine grounds. It was still early out and only a few very dedicated visitors had come to make their daily pilgrimage up to the shrine.

The teen smiled sweetly at the people she recognized, bowing in respect. She could hear her grandfather speaking to some of the early morning guests of stories from the old shrine. These people were more attentive, sharing their own stories as well, and the old man's voice was filled with a quiet enthusiasm that was absent when he dredged on to the younger generations who he knew could care less.

Walking over to the house, she opened the door and was immediately assaulted by the scents of her home. A uniquely sweet smell that had always enveloped the house was accentuated by the smell of her mother's cooking. In the kitchen the sounds of breakfast preparation floated just under the quiet humming of her mother's voice.

Kagome walked silently to the kitchen door and leaned against the frame. She watched the grace and eloquence used as she multi-tasked around the room getting everything ready. The teen looked over to the table and saw the four table settings already laid out.

"I always make sure to set a spot for you, just in case."

Kagome jumped at the sound of her mother's voice and turned around to see her mother scraping something into the trashcan.

"Thanks mom, but you can stop doing it for a while."

Her mother immediately stopped what she was doing and looked at her daughter. She put the hot pan on the counter; not worrying that it could burn the material underneath. "What do you mean?"

Her brows were knitted and her hands were shaking ever so slightly.

"It's nothing really. I-I'm just going to be away for a while."

Looking at her daughter with a mother's stare, calculating her statement for its hidden truths, she ushered her daughter to sit down, before going back to cooking. A silence hung in the room.

"I take it this mission is getting more serious then?"

Kagome bit her lip. "Yeah, something.../unexpected/ came up and now I'm going to have to take care of it."

"Just you? Isn't Inuyasha going to help you?" she asked. "I always got the impression that he wouldn't let you do something without his being there to protect you."

"Well...no, he'll be there, I assume," Kagome said, mumbling the last bit.

"You assume? That doesn't sound good. Are you going behind his back to do something?"

Putting down the spoon and looking over at Kagome, she studied her face. "I know I don't know much about what's beyond the well, but I know it's a dangerous place to be."

Kagome opened her mouth to protest but her mother continued anyway. "Don't argue with me on this one. I've seen the scratches and bruises you come back with. I know of all the first aid materials you take back with you. But I also know that Inuyasha is there to protect you, and I trust him to do so. So /please/, Kagome, think. Don't do anything that would put you in any harm by doing something without him."

The silence came back, mother watching her daughter as a barrage of emotions played over her face. Finally the teen spoke. "Inuyasha knows of this, sort of, and well--" she paused not knowing the best way to explain the situation.

She was nearly at tears and trying to avoid discussing the matter with her mother wasn't helping anything. "Sesshomaru--"

"Inuyasha's brother?"

"Half brother," Kagome corrected.

Her mother had gone back to looking over breakfast, beginning to plate some of the dishes to put on the table. She urged her daughter to continue.

"Well he came to us the other day."

"He came to you? I thought you had said he didn't like Inuyasha."

"I did, and he doesn't," she said. "It's more like...well, he didn't want to speak to Inuyasha so it didn't matter, I guess. He came to speak to me."

"To you? What could a youkai nobility have to say to you?"

Kagome sighed. She had forgotten she told her mother so much.

"Well," she worried her bottom lip. "He had a proposition for me, and while I declined it out of principle, he sort of tricked me into it."

"Ah. Well trickery isn't a very noble concept. Are you sure the deal is even binding if he used foul measures to get you to agree?"

Kagome stopped and stared at her mom. Her eyes were wide and the mental cogs in her head were spinning. "I-I don't know. I didn't even think of that."

The teen jumped up and hugged her mother, nearly spilling the contents of one of the plates. "Thanks mom, you're a genius!"

"You're welcome dear," she said. "Are you going to tell me what he asked you?"

Kagome shook her head. "Not now at least, hopefully we'll get this all worked out so that I can forget it like a bad nightmare."

Both women smiled at each other. "Will you help me get breakfast on the table then?"

"Sorry mom, have to run. I need to get back. Tell jiji and Sota I said hi."

She ran out of the house and through the courtyard, making her way to the well house as conspicuously as possible. Her mother just smiled. "That girl."

"Was that Kagome?"

A sleepy Sota appeared, disheveled and still in his pajamas. He brought a hand up to cover a yawn while the other was messing his hair up even more.

"Yes, she came home for a bit and seems to have headed back."

Sota's face fell. "Oh, I was hoping to see Inuyasha, I have this awesome new video game to show him."

"I'm sure you'll see him soon. Now go get dressed, breakfast is almost ready."

Sota nodded and ran out of the room while his mother finished setting the table. She placed the last platter down and stepped back, taking some of the tablecloth with her on accident. She watched horrified as Kagome's plate fell to the ground, shattering into pieces on the floor.



*

More editing completed. There may still be a few mistakes, feel free to point them out to me if you find them. Thanks. 05-07-07
Sign up to rate and review this story