Categories > Celebrities > My Chemical Romance > Flourescent Adolescent

Hold Me Down

by thruthekeyholes 4 reviews

stage dive

Category: My Chemical Romance - Rating: R - Genres: Drama - Characters: Bob Bryar, Frank Iero, Gerard Way, Mikey Way, Ray Toro - Published: 2007-05-20 - Updated: 2007-05-20 - 2024 words

0Unrated
Mikey found himself staring again.
It was becoming a habit but at least she hadn't caught him this time. He usually didn't even realize he was staring until her eyes met his. It was a little bit embarrassing but he couldn't seem to concentrate on anything but her, the way her hair fell in her face when she tilted her head to the side when she was thinking about something, the way she bit her lip when she was nervous, the way she smiled just a little bit despite her best attempts whenever he walked into the room, all of it. He noticed every movement she made.
It was way too early for that. They had known each other a grand total of just under two weeks. He couldn't be as wrapped up in her as he was and he definitely couldn't let her know that he was. Staring was only making that harder to hide. He knew he had to stop. He just couldn't manage to actually do it.
It was just that everything about her fascinated him. It had since before he even opened his mouth to speak to her. That was why he wasn't thinking about what he was saying to her. He was too involved in wondering if it was possible for a person's eyes to be that green and if she liked to keep a light on when she went to sleep or not.
For the record, her eyes were 100% that green and she liked to sleep in pitch black but with music playing.

At that particular moment she was sitting on the floor in the back of the bus watching Gerard and Ray play video games and drawing in a sketchbook. She was wearing his Anthrax shirt that he found himself not even missing, especially when she was wearing it. They were in England and they all could have been out site seeing but they were all crammed into the bus instead doing exactly what they always did. They couldn't go anywhere until after their slot to play so they were all just biding their time until then. The shitty part about it was that they wouldn't have the chance to leave even after that. They had to be back on the bus to leave for the next city an hour after the show and then it would be a plane ride back to Miami after that one. They got to travel the world but they didn't get to see much of it.
"Guys, time to get out there. You're next," their tour manager brought them all out of their community coma.
Mikey was nervous and excited as he took Jen's hand and followed the other guys from the bus. She'd never seen him play and he was excited to have her there at the side of the stage watching him. At the same time, his palms were sweating and he had a nervous energy racing through him.
At the side of the stage they looked out over the crowd. He wondered what she was thinking but it was too loud to even ask her. He just kept glancing at her as she watched the kids come up over the heads of other kids around them. The energy was great. If it kept up it would make for a great show and Gerard was good at getting them all worked up. Mikey had always wondered how he did it, managed to make the crowd go crazy every time. It never failed though, whatever it was.
The whole band receded back behind the stage to prepare. They did the jumping jacks that Bob insisted upon and high fived like they always did. It was a ritual, a superstition, but it worked for them. Gerard put himself in whatever place he went to in his head, Ray was Zen-like, Bob was just as calm as Bob always was, and Frankie was jumping around with the energy of a two year old kid. It never seemed to run short.
"I'm diving today. That crowd's perfect," he announced.
He knew the stage was a good five feet from the barricades right?
"It's too far. You'll fall on your face," Gerard said what Mikey had been thinking.
"No, it's good. It's not that far," Frankie never had listened.
"Frankie, it's too far," Mikey tried.
"No. It's not. Jen, do you think it's too far?"
"Uh...I don't know. I've never stage-dove before," she shrugged.
"Never? Ever crowd surfed?"
Mikey wasn't sure he was liking the glint in Frankie's eyes.
Jen shook her head no.
"Oh, we're changing that today. You jump with me! You have no idea the feeling!"
Yeah, he thought that was where he was going to end up.
"She doesn't want to jump with your idiot ass," Gerard rolled his eyes.
"Sure she does. Don't you Jen? You'll jump with me won't you? It's completely safe, I promise," like she was deaf and couldn't hear the rest of them say it wasn't just minutes ago.
"It's too far," even Ray chimed in.
"It's not. They're all just scared. We'll just get a good running start and jump. It's like flying. You have to feel it," he was still at it.
Jen hadn't answered him. Mikey watched the look on her face, trying to decide if she thought Frankie was as insane as the rest of them did but he wasn't sure.
"Guys! You're up!"
He hadn't even noticed the music stop or the other band leave the stage.
The guys all grabbed their instruments and headed for the stage. He hung back just a little bit and kissed Jen before heading out onto the stage. He hoped she would look out onto the crowd and know that Frank's idea was just nuts and not do it. He really wasn't sure if she would or not. He found that no matter how much he had been staring, he still couldn't read her face all the time.

Gerard immediately became the intense presences he was when he was in front of an audience. He had the crowd in the palm of his hand from the time he hit the stage. Mikey just tried to get his palms to stop sweating. The stage was a rush, as always and they were having a great time. Bob was killing on drums. Ray was a mad man on guitar and Frankie...was just a madman period. He threw himself around so much that the sound guy had to put his mic stand back on the stage five times just in the first three songs. Mikey found himself watching Jen as much as he watched the crowd. She seemed to be enjoying herself and that made him smile. Her eyes moved back and forth between all the guys, interested in the whole thing, but each time he would look at her, she would glance at him as if she knew he was watching and smile.
He could get used to having her side-stage.
Toward the end of the fourth song Mikey caught Frankie glance back at Jen and nod toward the crowd. Nothing had happened so far and he had been hoping that Frank had seen the crowd again and given up but it didn't look like it. They only had three songs left after that and he hoped that Jen wouldn't be convinced in that time.
In to the sixth song, still nothing had happened. Frankie was still throwing himself around and everybody else was just trying not to get smacked in the head with his guitar...again. Mikey was beginning to relax and barely noticed when Frank handed his guitar to the sound guy and took Jen's hand, pulling her out onto the stage. She looked freaked out but Mikey quickly realized she was going to do it. He watch, helpless as they braced for it, raced to the edge of the stage, and launched forward, only breaking connection with each other's hands when they hit the air. He thought his heart might stop as they flew through the air until he saw that they would both clear the barricade, barely. The crowd caught them both and passed them around for a minute before sending them forward. Frankie made it back and climbed back onto the stage by the end of the song but Mikey lost sight of Jen as she was enveloped into the crowd.
They finished the song and went right into the last one, Mikey searching the crowd and the side of the stage the entire time, hoping to find her standing safely there. He had felt better about the whole thing once he saw them hit the crowd until she had disappeared. The first time crowd surfing no one knew what to expect and that crowd was intense. They had stopped playing three times to make sure kids were OK and to let kids get out.
She was lost in that.
He didn't think about anything but her the entire time they played Helena. Once it was over, Gerard said goodbye and they all waved. Mikey pushed past Frank, rushing to the edge of the stage.
"Nice move Frankie," Ray took the liberty of expressing Mikey's feelings.
She wasn't on the side of the stage so he pushed past the next band and the crew to get backstage. If he had to go out into that crowd, he would. Then he looked up and there she was, standing just behind the stage smiling at him.
"Are you OK?" he was a little out of breath.
"I'm great! That was incredible. I want to do it again!" she hadn't noticed his panic.
The other guys had caught up with him by that point, having obviously not run over everyone in their paths.
"See? I told you she'd be fine," he heard Frankie say but he didn't turn around.
"I didn't think we were going to make it. I really didn't. It was crazy. I've never felt anything like it," she had the look of someone who'd just conquered a huge fear and lived to tell the tale.
He scanned her face for a second, wondering, before he broke into a smile. He couldn't help it around her. Everything she did made him smile even when it freaked him out.
"You're fucking crazy you know that?" he shook his head.
"I've heard that somewhere before," one side of her mouth rose in a bit of a smirk.
They were inches from each other by that time, forehead to forehead again. She bit the side of her lip and he forgot all about what had just happened. His heart rate rose for a much better reason when they finally stopped staring at each other and kissed.
"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to freak you out," she whispered.
"Hey, if you like stage diving you'll love..." Frank trailed off and Mikey wasn't sure why until he turned and saw that Bob had him in a headlock and was pulling him away.
They all laughed.
"Come on you two, back to the bus before you get arrested for public intoxication or something," Gerard pushed them both towards the parking lot.
"Public intoxication?" Mikey was confused.
"With each other."
Intoxicated was a good word to describe what Jen did to Mikey. He felt like he was a little drunk around her. That or he was dreaming. He wasn't sure which but he hoped it wasn't the latter. It would be a bitch of a dream to wake up from.
As he wrapped his arm around her waist she felt very real. Her arm around his waist and into his back pocket didn't feel a bit like a dream. He thought he might even be able to close his eyes and open them back up and she'd still be there. Maybe he could let out the breath he felt he'd been holding in since he met her and just be able to completely enjoy this dream of a girl he'd found.
"So," he started, "what did you think of the show?"

More reviews = More writing and updates!
Sign up to rate and review this story