Categories > Books > Harry Potter > To the Rescue

Ron at the Ysgol

by DrT 0 reviews

A Sixth Year Story: Voldemort's Return brings in the International Confederation and a team from the North American Wizarding Confederation to take control. In this chapter, the aftermath of the ...

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: R - Genres: Angst, Drama - Characters: Draco, Dumbledore, Ginny, Harry, Hermione, Luna, Neville, Percy, Ron, Snape - Warnings: [!!] [?] - Published: 2007-05-21 - Updated: 2007-05-21 - 4242 words

3Original
Disclaimer: This story is based on characters, ideas, and situations created by JK Rowling and owned by her and her publishers. I own the original elements & characters. No money is being made by me, and no trademark or copyright infringement is intended.

Sunday, November 24, 1996

"Do these trials always happen this quickly?" Harry asked Dumbledore, "and why is the Council trying Ron?"

"They happen this quickly whenever possible, especially whenever murder or attempted murder is involved, to prevent things from escalating, and because it is one of the options the Weasleys' had. Arthur no doubt believes the Council will be fairer than the regular court, since I would not be able to preside and a number of those who might have been the most likely available to serve do not care for Arthur or dislike the Council in general. Remember, Minister Fudge sat in judgement of you."

"Oh. What's the worst that could happen to Ron?"

"In theory, he could have his wand snapped for ten years and be sent to Azkaban for three, but I cannot see that happening here, considering the circumstances."

"Oh. I was just wondering what they are going to do to me, when I kill Voldemort."

"This will be different."

"Why?" Harry demanded quietly. "I mean, Malfoy, a convicted killer, tried to kill Ron, so Ron tried to kill Malfoy. Voldemort, who we all claim is a mass murderer but who has never been convicted of littering let alone anything worse so far as I know, will try to kill me and I will kill him or die trying. The differences are too subtle for me to see anything automatic about it."

At that point a young official that Harry vaguely recognized as a Hufflepuff who had left two years before came up and whisked Dumbledore away. Harry looked around and saw there were a number of people who had come in. Meanwhile, Arthur came over and took Dumbledore's place next to Harry.

"I've been told Ginny, Hermione, and Neville Longbottom are here. Molly doesn't think they should be allowed in. What do you think, Harry?"

"No, don't let them in if you have the choice," Harry said firmly.

"At this stage, we do. But why not let them in? Molly . . . is rather too upset to explain."

"Think of how humiliated Ron feels, strapped down like that," Harry said. "Ron is proud. That's what set him off tonight. I wish I hadn't. . . ."

"It's not your fault, Harry," Arthur said. "I swear to you, on the lives of all my children, you are not responsible."

"I only hope Ron agrees," Harry answered sadly. "But please, don't let Hermione see him like this. It would tear him down even more."

"I understand now. I'll send out a note to Ginny, asking her to stay with Neville and Hermione. She could get in if she really wanted to, but she should keep the others company."



The group sat quietly, all very tired from the lateness of the hour, for nearly ninety more minutes. At that point, the inner doors opened, but instead of the Council coming it, it was Draco Malfoy. He was also strapped into a chair, but he was gagged as well.

"What is the meaning of that!" Snape demanded of the guard who was levitating the chair.

"Can' keep 'is ruddy gob shut," the guard snarled. "Wan'ter join 'im?"

Snape recoiled as if slapped. Ron managed a smirk but wisely said nothing.

The doors opened again, and the Council came in, although Dumbledore did not return.

Myrddin started right in as soon as they were settled. "Draco Nero Malfoy? Oh, take the gag out! If he spouts off again, then silence him. Draco Nero Malfoy, you have been found guilty of unprovoked attempted murder and the use of numerous spells, hexes, and curses forbidden to those underage against Ronald Weasley. You have broken the probation set up by the full Wizengamot. Guard, snap his wand."

Harry thought there would be some kind of explosion, or sparks, or something, but it was as if the man had just snapped a stick in half. "You are forbidden a wand for three years. You are expelled from the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry and forbidden to enroll in any other. You may not undertake any further magical training of any type with or without an apprentice contract without prior approval by the British Ministry of Magic for ten years. You are forbidden to exit the island of Great Britain for any reason for ten years. You are forbidden to learn to apparate for ten years. You are confined to the property known as Malfoy Manor until your seventeenth birthday. Should you break any of these restrictions, you will be jailed for ten years in addition to any other penalties which may be assessed. You are also fined five thousand galleons in blood money, half to be paid to the Weasley family."

Malfoy sat there, gaping in shock.

"Ronald Bilius Weasley, while you had total justification in defending yourself against Draco Malfoy, the attacks would have been best countered with a stunner. Considering the evidence of Professor Jones on your relative abilities, Mister Malfoy should not have been that serious of a threat to you." Malfoy winced at that.

"You were obviously toying with him, hoping to both incite and humiliate him." From the way Ron hung his head, and from what he had seen in the dueling tutorials, Harry knew that was likely true. Malfoy knew an awful lot, but he wasn't half as good as Ron at applying what he knew. "Had Malfoy been a danger to you on the order of, say, the Dark Wizard calling himself Voldemort, it would have been a different story. As it is, two instances of students using the Death Curse in one term is far too many, and the British Educational Laws and Regulations require us to apply a stiffer sentence than we first at first wished to impose." All the sitting Council members gave Fudge a dirty look at that, which made Fudge wince.

Myrddin took a deep breath, and looker rather upset he had to do his duty. "Ronald Bilius Weasley, you are expelled from the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, forbidden to attend any other school in Britain or Ireland, forbidden to use your wand for twenty-four hours, and fined two sickles of blood-money, one to be paid to the Malfoy estate. Let this be a warning to all other students in Britain and Ireland. This session of the Council acting as the Wizengamot is ended. Guards, take Mister Malfoy to his cell until arrangements can be made to transport him to Malfoy Manor. Mister Weasley is to be released into the custody of his parents."

"Councillor?" Snape asked, standing.

"Yes, Mister Snape?"

"I would be willing to escort Mister Malfoy home."

"Very well."

As soon as the pair was leaving, Myrddin nodded and a guard started to undo Ron's restraints. As soon as he was released, he was embraced by Molly and Arthur. A few seconds later, they were joined by Hermione and Ginny, who had finally been allowed in.

Neville came up and nudged Harry, and they approached the group together. Ron saw Harry coming, and he moved forward.

"I so sorry, Ron."

"So am I, Harry. I'm sorry I yelled at you last night."

"I'm sorry if I said the wrong thing."

"No, no, I was wrong," Ron mumbled. "I was mad at myself and took it out on everyone." He slumped against his father from mental and physical exhaustion.

"I thought that was supposed to be me," Harry teased. Ron managed a wan smile.

An active and elderly man approached them accompanied by Dumbledore. "Arthur, Molly, Ron? This is my friend Hugh FitzWilliam, Headmaster of the Ysgol."

"Well, Mister Weasley, how would you like to attend the Ysgol?"

"What?" Ron asked, looking up, dazed.

"We're transferring you to the Ysgol in North America," Dumbledore said.

"You mean . . . I can finish school?"

"Well, I hope so," FitzWilliam said with a smile. "If you come along now, we'll have you in class by tomorrow morning."

"Now?" Ron, Molly, and Hermione asked.

"It would be best," Dumbledore said. "The quicker the less publicity."

"Oh . . . all right," Ron said. He hugged his parents, Hermione, and Ginny, and after a moment's hesitation, he hugged Harry. When Harry went so far as to hug Ron back, Ron finally lost his composure and left in tears.



Harry came down the stairs to the common room a little after 11:00 later that morning. He found it empty except for three Second years scribbling quietly in a far corner and Hermione and Ginny, sitting before the fire. Hermione was crying, and it was clear Ginny had been. All three were tired, having had less than five hours sleep.

Harry came up to them and hugged them both. He felt bereft, knowing that Ron was thousands of miles away. Harry sighed.

"None of that," Ginny stated. "This is not our fault. What fault there was belongs to Ron and Malfoy. Harry, your temper has been getting better since your birthday, and Ron's has been getting worse since the term started."

"We should have done more," Hermione sobbed.

"You and I tried," Ginny said.

"I didn't really notice," Harry said guiltily.

"I know, and we should have pointed it out," Ginny said. "Now, Ron's going to be lonely without us and we're going to miss him, but it's not like he's in prison, or even under house arrest like Malfoy. He's at a wonderful school, and I'm sure we'll see him next summer."

"Maybe before," Harry said.

"Huh?"

"They want me to go for extra training over Christmas."

"Just you?" Ginny asked.

"No, all of us can go if you want to," Harry said. "Hopefully Ron will be there, too."

"And if our parents will let us," Hermione added, her tears ending. "Your parents might not want you to go now."

"Maybe not, but we'll find a way," Ginny said. "I'll talk with Neville. Harry, you talk with Luna. Now, we're going to go to lunch, and our heads will be held high, because except for the last thing Ron did, he did nothing wrong and he only did that under provocation."

"I still can't believe they expelled Ron," Hermione said, obviously not for the first time.

"Especially since Malfoy only got probation for killing Crabbe," Ginny added bitterly.

"Well, first we had the attacks, and now here was another case of students using the Killing Curse," Harry reminded them. "Pucey, Bletchley, and Montague are in Azkaban for life. Babcock is in for fifteen years. Just think -- how else could they show that using the Killing Curse at school won't be tolerated?"

"They shouldn't have let Malfoy back in the first place," Ginny stated.

"You're right, of course," Hermione agreed.

"It wasn't the Council who allowed Malfoy back -- it was the Wizengamot, and you can bet a lot of Malfoy money was spent to make certain he wasn't punished too harshly. And I bet Fudge pushed to punish Ron and let Malfoy off easy."

Ginny stood. "Come on. We all missed breakfast."

Harry stood and helped Hermione to her feet. "Come on," he said. "We'll collect Luna and Neville, and we'll talk about Christmas." Ginny put her arms around Hermione's waist, and Harry his around her shoulders and the trio of Gryffindors made their way down to the great hall.



After lunch, Neville, Ginny, Harry, and Luna were standing besides one of the great doors on the inside of the room. Luna suddenly broke in on Ginny by pointing towards the front of the hall. "I think we all know what she'll be asking."

The quartet saw Hermione approaching the Headmaster. "Come on," Harry said.

"Are you sure we should?" Neville asked.

"Yes," Harry stated. "She needs to know we'll be here for her, and we'll support her either way."

"Yes . . . I think you're right," Luna agreed.



"Yes, Miss Granger?"

"May I speak with you privately, Headmaster?"

"Yes, you may, or you may have your four friends there as well," Dumbledore said with a nod.

Hermione looked in the direction Dumbledore had indicated, and wasn't really surprised to see her remaining best friends coming for her. She turned back to Dumbledore, "But. . . ."

"Think of all the times you have warned Ron and Harry to wait and think, Miss Granger. This is one time where you need to listen to your own advice." He turned to the approaching quartet. "Come along, students." Dumbledore led them back to his office.

All the students refused any sweets and merely sat down and looked at the Headmaster. "You are all angry, and you feel betrayed. You are upset because Ron was treated so harshly after Mister Malfoy was initially allowed to return to Hogwarts. Unfortunately, Ronald Weasley was caught in a set of rules which have not been invoked for a great many years -- there was a time when students often dueled to the death in the halls of Hogwarts. Even I had forgotten that penalties must go up after the first instance of an actual death -- these laws, applied to all the schools, were written to prevent duels from escalating into open feuds and vendettas. Minister Fudge revealed them to the Council, hoping that since they wanted to impose a lighter sentence on your friend, they could then be forced to impose an equally light sentence on Mister Malfoy, ignoring the rules all together. Once they were told the special laws which applied, however, they would not circumvent them, to Minister Fudge's surprise."

Hermione was puzzled. "How would Fudge know, sir, if you didn't remember?" She frowned. "Come to think of it, I don't believe it was in Hogwarts: A History, either." Hermione seemed very aggrieved over that.

"I am not certain," Dumbledore said. "It was last invoked when I was a Second year student. I remember how a House Prefect explained it to us, since he was the one who dug up the rule."

Dumbledore sighed. "He was a great one for knowing all the rules. He was later the second head of the MLES."

That reminded Harry of someone, which set off a chain of reasoning and memories. "I bet I know then," Harry said viciously. "Have any of you read a book called Prefects Who Gained Power?"

Dumbledore frowned, and said, "No. I shall be back in a moment." He quickly came back with a small book, and muttered a phrase. A few moments later, the book opened itself to two places. "You were correct, Harry," Dumbledore said after reading the two passages. "How did you know?" He obviously didn't think it likely Harry had read the book.

"Know what?" Ginny demanded. "Who wrote the book?"

"I don't know who wrote the book, but I do know one person who's read it," Harry said.

"Who!"

Harry took a deep breath, and said, "Percy."

"I'll kill him!"

"Ginny!"

"I'LL SHRED HIS FACE AND FEED IT TO HAGRID'S PETS!"

"Miss Weasley, please don't kill or injure anyone, especially a faculty member. You would suffer more than expulsion."

"I didn't see Percy there," Hermione reminded Ginny, trying to calm the seething girl down.

"Neither did I," Harry added.

"Actually, Mister Weasley is coming, so we can ask him," Dumbledore stated, and sure enough, a few seconds later, there was a knock on the door.

"Come in!"

It was indeed Percy Weasley, a very wild-looking and harried Percy Weasley at that.

"IT WAS YOU! Ginny screamed. She launched herself at Percy, looking like she was going to rake his face to ribbons with her nails. Neville and Harry grabbed her as she passed, and only held on her by hugging her tightly between them, her arms trapped at her sides.

"I didn't know, Ginny!" Percy shouted. "Minister Fudge firecalled me in the middle of the night. I didn't know it was Ron! I swear I didn't know!"

Ginny suddenly stopped struggling and stood perfectly still. "Would it really have made any difference, Percy? Excuse me," she spat, "Professor Weasley, sir."

"Why didn't anyone wake me up?" Percy demanded.

"There was no time," Dumbledore answered. "Minister Fudge would have called his hand-picked Wizengamot and imposed the same sentences on both your brother and Draco Malfoy, despite the great differences in most of the actions and their situations, and the minimum required their expulsion from Hogwarts. You know perfectly well that the Minister may demand an immediate trial for murder or attempted murder if he deems it in the public interest, which he did. That power is left intact under a Council, although the Council may also initiate an immediate trial."

"So he used me?" Percy asked, amazed.

"Yes, Percy, he used you," Dumbledore said frankly. "He used you to punish your brother. He punished your brother to punish your father and to embarrass the Council and myself. He succeeded."

"And he used me to do it. . . ." Percy said in a small voice. He collapsed into a chair.

"Of course he did," Hermione said, almost snarling. "It made his manipulations all the more satisfying! Haven't you realized yet that he's been using you since the end of the Third Task?"

"That's not fair!"

"But it IS accurate," Hermione insisted, "and you should finally admit it!"

Percy sat up straight, pushed his glasses up his nose, and took a deep breath. "Professor Dumbledore. . . ."

"No," Dumbledore said kindly, "you may not resign, Professor Weasley. You have agreed to serve for at least this school year, and I know you will keep your word. Now, I agree what was done to your brother was not totally fair. With one exception, everyone on the Council believes so as well, but it was what the law required." Percy winced at that, his own words from the first day of class that year haunting him. "I would hope you all realize how much effort it took to secure young Ron's immediate transfer to the Ysgol."

"How did that happen so quickly?" Hermione asked. "I mean, considering the distances involved. . . ."

"No one felt put out by the exertion, although it was not easy, and a number of us will be answering questions to various authorities for many days, perhaps many weeks."

"Why the Ysgol, instead of one of the minor schools here, Professor?" Luna asked.

"Ron was banned from attending school in Britain," Hermione reminded her.

"And any of the minor schools would be under Ministry supervision and pressure. We feel it here, and we, unlike they, are self-governing. Ronald would have been in a vulnerable position in any school in the British Isles. The Ysgol is well-protected, politically as well as magically. While he may feel homesick, I assure all of you he will be accepted."

Dumbledore turned to Hermione. "I believe you were going to request a transfer to the Ysgol?" Hermione nodded. "Please talk over the possibility with your parents, and if they support your exploring the idea, with Professor McGonagall after Christmas."

"Yes, sir."

Percy looked at Harry. "I knew being your friend would hurt Ron."

Ginny took two steps forward and slapped Percy so hard his glasses flew across the room.

"Miss Weasley, leave the room!" Dumbledore ordered.

"This isn't a school matter, sir," Ginny hissed, "this is a family matter."

Percy stood and looked down at his sister. "She's correct, Headmaster. And I was right. Being friends with Harry has hurt Ron."

"Yes," Hermione said, "it has, although it was more Ron's temper than his friendship with Harry that got him into this particular trouble. Even if that friendship had been totally responsible, however, it was a price Ron was willing to pay. It's a price that I am willing to pay. It's the price that needs to be paid to help Harry stand up to Voldemort."

"Harry doesn't have to stand up to Voldemort!"

"He does, Percy," Dumbledore said. "In one way, it is a choice we must all make. In another way, Harry is Voldemort's most immediate target. We can only protect him to a relative degree. In some ways, Harry must learn to protect himself, and his friends help him bear that burden."

"I never asked Ron to stand up with me," Harry said.

"I know," Percy said, slumping back into the chair.

"I want to live a long, happy life, Percy," Hermione told her old mentor. "I can't have either, if Voldemort wins. The way I fight is by helping Harry. If that means I suffer or sacrifice, or even have to die to make certain other people live those long, happy lives, then I'll do it. I've made my choice. I'll fight. Ron made his choices."

"Don't blame Harry because Ron got caught in a side-issue," Neville said.

"Where will you stand, Percy Weasley, when you are asked to make a stand against evil?" Luna asked. "Will you take an active stand, or will you continue to be a passive follower of others, of those who represent order instead of those who represent right?"

Percy looked at Luna, his mouth open in amazement. "I . . . I don't know."

"I have a feeling you will have to decide soon," Luna told him. "You will have one more chance to follow your family, to follow your heart, or to follow the easier path and allow others to decide for you."

Luna walked over and picked up Percy's glasses. She held them out. "Decide where you are going." She looked at Harry and the others. "We shall follow Harry. Shall we retire to the study?"

They all nodded. As they started to leave, Ginny turned to Percy. "I don't want to lose you forever, Percy." The five students left.

Percy sat, looking as the door closed.

"It's up to you to decide if your pride will allow you to ever reopen the doors to their hearts, Percy," Dumbledore told him. "You are a brilliant and talented wizard. Only you can decide your path."

"I know." Somehow, that did not seem at all comforting.



Monday, November 25, 1996

Ron woke up to bright sunlight and a light knocking on a door. "What?" he managed to say.

He heard a door open and an accented voice say, "So, you're finally awake!"

Ron sat up, confused. "Where am I?"

"You were pretty out of it when you came in yesterday morning, and they had you running around all afternoon," the voice said. Ron saw it was a teen his age and almost his height, with equally red hair and bright hazel eyes. "I'm not surprised you slept twelve hours. The Headmaster said your memory might be hazy."

"Where am I?" Ron asked again.

"Let's see," another voice said. This boy was shorter and had messy black hair and blue eyes, "zooming in on things, you're in North America, in the Muggle state of Maine and wizarding zone of Newton, at the Ysgol. This is the Blue Dragon boys' dorm area, and you're in your bedroom, which is part of a three room suite. Normally, you don't get a single room in a suite, but the Headmaster asked us to move into the other bed room yesterday, and to help show you around."

"I'm Bill Jefferson, that's Leroy Trowbridge," the redhead added.

Ron remembered why he was here, and fell back on the bed. "Oh, shite."

"Ah, I see you remember," Leroy said. "Get dressed if you want breakfast. It's a little before Eight, and we have Charms at Nine. Bill and I are the only two students who know the story, so just stick close to us, okay? At least one of us will be in each of your classes."

"Okay . . . toothbrush?" Ron managed to say.

"FitzWilliam said our set-up is slightly different than Hogwarts. Get dressed and we'll show you the bathroom. And hurry up! I'm hungry!"

"Bill, you're always hungry."

"This is so weird," Ron said to himself.



The House of the Blue Dragons was very different than the Gryffindor Tower. There were two small towers, one each for First through Fifth year boys and girls. The Sixth and Seventh years were on two parallel corridors, with the towers behind them and a complex of common rooms between them.

Ron was surprised at the size of the castle and grounds. It wasn't as eclectically built as Hogwarts, and was even larger. There was also a much larger staff. Ron was surprised to learn that all five of his teachers (he wasn't taking Regulations at the Ysgol) had also taught Dorff, Spellman, or Lawrence. Marcus Williams was his Charms teacher, Awstin Llwyd taught Creatures, Richard Lazlo DADA, Lowri Buddug Divination, and Cadi Sior Transfiguration. All seemed more informal than most of their Hogwarts counterparts, although Ron would learn that was partly due to the luck of which professors he had drawn.

Ron quickly made friends during his first week. The flying instructor (and head of the Greens), Peter Bredon, even recruited Ron to help referee some of the junior Quidditch matches and to coach the Second year Blue flyers. In short, although Ron missed his friends, especially Hermione and Harry, and Quidditch, Ron found he fit in moderately well. There was no Snape, no Malfoy, no older brothers' reputations to compete against, no Harry to be over-shadowed by.

Ron quickly started to enjoy himself. He missed everyone, of course, but he really liked his new situation.
Sign up to rate and review this story