Categories > Anime/Manga > Love Hina > Grotesque Puppetry

Part 3

by Lord_Raa 0 reviews

A few AU elements in this tale of of backfiring plans.

Category: Love Hina - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama - Warnings: [!!] [?] - Published: 2007-05-27 - Updated: 2007-05-27 - 4224 words

2Ambiance
Grotesque Puppetry


By Lord Raa


@@@@@


Disclaim-me-do: "Continuity?" I've heard of it


@@@@@


Part 3


@@@@@


Previously on "Grotesque Puppetry": This caused Haruka to stop in her tracks. She didn't want to admit that her inaction had caused the others to hurt her nephew, but there was nothing she could say otherwise in her defence.

"I'm as guilty as the others... but what do I do now?"


@@@@@


"That is a good question, Urashima-san. What would you suggest? Do you think that you should wait on your nephew hand and foot, pay your 10 million yen in punitive damages or turn yourself in to the police? Or perhaps you have a fourth option?"

"I've got absolutely no idea what I should do," Haruka replied as she scratched her head in frustration. She let out a deep sigh. "I screwed up big time."

"Yes," Tsuruko nodded. "However, you are an adult that's responsible for her own actions, so I'll leave this up to you and your own morality."

"..."

"Though I'm sure that you could quite easily find yourself agreeing to requests from Keitaro that you would have previously declined over the next year," the swordswoman hinted.

"Yeah, you're right. Thanks, Aoyama-san," the smoker replied with a genuine smile. "So what are we going to do about the others? Naru would never agree to be an indentured servant, especially to Keitaro."

"What makes you say that?"

"She's got too much pride, too many conflicting feelings and she'd accuse him of being a pervert the second he says something vaguely suggestive, no matter how innocuous his intentions," Haruka explained. "Also, Kitsune is incapable of holding onto money for more than a few days."

"I see," Tsuruko mused. "Perhaps they could pool their money and they could draw lots to see who leaves?"

"I suppose that it's fair. Though there could be recriminations if Naru and Kitsune aren't happy with the result."

The swordswoman stood up. "In that case, maybe you should act as moderator? You could make sure that Keitaro isn't taken advantage of and doesn't abuse his position. Though perhaps it would do everyone some good if he did act in a selfish manner every once in a while?"

"Maybe."


@@@@@


Back at the hospital, Keitaro was just completing his first physical therapy session by testing his reflexes and coordination with a series of gentle callisthenics.

"So what's the story with Dr. Saotome?"

"What about him?" the nurse asked with a light blush.

"I was wondering what sort of person he's like, see he asked me to ask my aunt if she'll go out with him on a date," the injured man explained.

"Well, I heard that he learned from one of the best doctors in America," the nurse answered as she put the exercise equipment back on the trolley. 'Damn, I better act quickly if I want him for myself...'


@@@@@


Tsuruko had decided that it was time to return from the break and called for the others.

"Now that we've returned, have you made your decisions?" she asked Naru and Kitsune.

"I..." Naru said as she looked at her hands.

"How much money do you have between you?" Haruka asked. "Because we've decided that if you want to, you can pool your money and draw lots to see who buys their freedom."

"I-I've only got about 35,000 yen in the bank," Kitsune answered.

"I think I've got 100,000 or so. So where are we going to get the rest from?" the light brown haired girl asked. "Who's going to lend us that kind of money?"

Shinobu looked at her friends before speaking up. "I'll help out with what I can."

"Me too!" Kaolla declared.

Naru looked at her friends. "I-I can't accept this, I've got no way of paying you back."

"Then you'll just have to serve Keitaro-san for a year or until you get the money to buy your freedom. Whichever is sooner," Tsuruko replied. "There is a lesson to be learned from this."

"I don't expect you to like it," Haruka added. "But many of life's lessons aren't nice."

"O-ok then, so if we decide that we're going to be Keitaro's servants until we get the money, does that mean that the cost is going to be less? You know, if it's going to cost us 10 million yen each for the year, then surely if we can get the half that in six months, we could be free?" Kitsune asked.

"I don't see why not," Haruka replied after a moment's conference with Tsuruko. "So then we're all in agreement? I'll draw up the contracts and bring them here tomorrow. There will be a system of penalties for any breaches of the contract."

"Like what?" Motoko asked.

"It depends on the infraction," the elder Aoyama replied. "It could be anything from the assignment of chores like cleaning the toilets and bath."

"Tasks that have only been done regularly since Keitaro arrived," the smoking Urashima added.

"Oh my, that is bad form, but yes, from cleaning the facilities to the addition of extra time to the length of the contract. Conversely," Tsuruko added when she heard gasps of outrage. "Conversely, any acts that are above and beyond what would be deemed regular duty could just as easily result in sentences being reduced."

"What would you consider 'above and beyond'? I won't be anyone's whore," Kitsune said with a defiant look on her face.

Tapping her cigarette on the ashtray, Haruka nodded. "Nor would we expect you to be."

"Then what are you hinting at?"

Haruka worked some stiffness out of her neck. "Well, I suppose that he might require a masseuse to help him deal with some of the stress he's under, though I should point out that the nice doctor did also suggest that he gets a girlfriend. I don't suppose that any of you know someone single that likes Keitaro, do you?"

"..." was the collective response from the guilty girls.

"I'll be Keitaro's girlfriend!" Kaolla offered cheerfully.

"I don't think that would be appropriate, Kaolla-san," Tsuruko replied.

"Oh, well what about Shinobu? She likes Keitaro," the tanned girl said in a sing-song voice.

"Dr. Saotome didn't prescribe molesting a child," Haruka said dismissively. "We need someone more adult."

"Oh, well, the offer still stands," the princess shrugged.

"I think that we'll arrange something later," the smoker mused. "Anyway, since Keitaro could be out of the hospital tomorrow, I want his room ready for when he returns."

"I think that I'll go to visit Urashima-san," Tsuruko stated to the room. "Would you please accompany me, Haruka-san?"

"Certainly, Tsuruko-san."


@@@@@


Keitaro was trying to relax in his hospital bed, but his thoughts were dominated by his concern for repaying his aunt for the trouble he'd caused her.

His sense of guilt was compounded by the arrival of Haruka and a woman that looked familiar enough to cause him to flinch.

"How are you feeling now, Keitaro?" Haruka asked with a smile on her face.

"I-I'm better, Haruka-san. W-who's your friend?"

"Hello, my name is Tsuruko Aoyama," the taller of the two women bowed. "I am Motoko's sister."

"H-hello," Keitaro bowed nervously in response when he noticed that the door was being locked. 'I'm done for. Still, I guess that you've got to go sometime...'

When the kendoist saw the look of resignation on the ronin's face, she felt ashamed of her sister's actions and took a deep breath. "I am extending my clan's sincerest apologies to you and your family, Urashima-san."

"Eh?"

"I am sorry for the pain and suffering that my little sister has inflicted on you, Urashima-san. Had we known that she was so ill-disciplined, we would not have allowed her to remain unsupervised," Tsuruko continued.

"But... didn't she tell you about what happened at the inn?" Keitaro asked, not believing what he was hearing.

"That she did, Urashima-san. However, it is only recently that your medical condition has been revealed. And the masters of Shinmeiryu do not approve of what Motoko did."

"Y-you're not going to kick her out of the clan, are you?" the ronin asked.

Haruka shook her head at the irony of the hapless ronin actually defending one of his abusers in the attempt to keep her from becoming ronin.

"We have yet to decide on the appropriate course of action, but it does remain an option," Tsuruko replied. "As the wronged party in this unsavoury affair, what would you consider to be suitable restitution?"

"I... don't know right now. I mean, I'm still dealing with the idea of trying to find a new place to stay," Keitaro explained.

"Would you like to move back into the Inn, Keitaro?" Haruka asked.

"B-but what about everyone? What do they think about me coming back?"

"They have accepted that they were wrong," Tsuruko answered. "We are currently negotiating a settlement back at the inn. Your return is part of the compensation agreement."

Keitaro's gaze fell to the floor as he tried to process what the kendoist had told him. He looked up, his face etched with concern. "What sort of thing are you making them do?"

"We aren't making them do anything, Keitaro," Haruka insisted. "Well, aside from the options we've given them, I mean."

"What options?"

"The first is that you go to the police and they're charged with assault," the kendoist answered. "The second is that they pay you a large lump sum and leave the Inn forever and the final option is that they become your indentured servants."

"What?" Keitaro asked, his voice a couple of octaves higher than normal.

"Your indentured servants," the elder Urashima repeated. "You know, like your maids. You could even make them call you 'Goshujin-sama' if you really wanted to."

"..." The ronin blushed as he thought about the trio of lovelies all dressed as maids waiting on him hand and foot.

"You wouldn't be able to order them to do anything improper," Haruka added. 'Even though it would kill two birds with one stone if you could...'

"I wasn't thinking perverted thoughts," Keitaro protested.

"Oh, I think that you were, Urashima-san," Tsuruko teased. "I'm sure that you wouldn't mind having Motoko wash your back..."

"A-aoyama-san," the recuperating youth whined when he realised he was being teased.

"Tsuruko-san, have you finished tormenting Keitaro? Or should I put you in the same boat as your sister and the others?" Haruka said sternly.

"I'd like to see you try," the kendoist smirked as her hands slipped to her sword.

The teashop proprietor rubbed her neck as she sighed. "I know that you're good, Tsuruko-san. But are you good enough to dodge bullets?"

"NO!" Keitaro shouted, as he scrambled to get between the two women.

"Urashima-san!"

"Keitaro!"

"Argh," the ronin winced as he fell to the floor.

"Keitaro, you really need to rest," Haruka chided as she helped her nephew back onto the bed. She turned to Tsuruko. "As for you, you really shouldn't antagonise people like that."

The traditionally dressed woman just stood there impassively. 'I see that Urashima is the sort to risk his life to ensure the wellbeing of others... Oh Motoko-han, why couldn't you have been mature enough to see him for what he really is?'

After a moment's contemplation, Tsuruko coughed politely to get everyone's attention. "Please accept my apologies, Urashima-san. It was not my intention to cause harm to you or your family."

"T-that's ok," Keitaro replied, his head starting to throb from his sudden movement.

"No, it is not. I have decided that I must help you with recovery. I shall ensure that your every need is catered to," the kendoist insisted as she bowed deeply at the waist.

"I don't understand, Aoyama-san..."

Standing up straight, Tsuruko explained her reasoning. "I know that my sister and her friends have not showed you a great deal of trust and will more than likely be suspicious of your requests for help. To ensure that there is no rebellion or impropriety, I shall assist you in the delegation of their duties."

"B-but what about you?" Keitaro asked. "I don't want to inconvenience you."

"That cannot be helped, Urashima-san," the kendoist replied.

"But to put your life on hold like that," the ronin protested. "It's not right to ask you to do that."

"But if I don't, you will be in a worse situation than you are now. I thought that I would be able to rely in Motoko to abide my judgement; however her part in this whole affair means she has destroyed what faith I had in her. And those friends of hers do not seem like the most reliable of people, especially Miss Konno."

Haruka stood still with a neutral look on her face. Normally she would have acted to defend her friends' collective good name, but she knew that the teasing swordswoman before her was right. Not that she had to like it. "And just what do you think it is that you can do to help Keitaro?"

"There are certain tasks that my sister is not suited to."

"What sort of tasks?" Keitaro asked in confusion.

"I'll explain in detail later, Urashima-san," Tsuruko replied in a tone that told the ronin there was no room for discussion on the matter.

"Ok... but don't you have to tell your family that you're staying here?"

"I will be heading back to Kyoto inform them of the situation in person. I will return tomorrow with a formalised list of penalties and rewards for behaviour," the kendoist smiled politely. "Now, if you'll excuse me."


@@@@@


Tsuruko sat before her parents and husband having explained the situation with Motoko.

"I see, so what do you recommend, Tsuruko?" Mrs. Aoyama asked.

"Motoko-han has offered her services as Urashima-san's retainer. She and her friends will be his personal staff," the kendoist explained. "They will perform his menial tasks and assist in the running of the dormitory."

"But to think that a member of our clan is reduced to the role of a manual labourer," Mr. Aoyama growled. "How could we let this happen?"

"I do not know, but I do feel that Motoko-han was led somewhat astray by her friends," Tsuruko added.

"Very well," Aoyama patriarch nodded before letting out a deep sigh. "I do not like this situation, but there is little I can do about it without loss of face. We already have our hands full dealing with Kouji here."

"I can't change the way I am, Father," the hitherto silent man replied. "And you knew that before Tsuruko-san and I married."

"Yes, but to think that Tsuruko-chan here couldn't change your tastes," the grey-haired man grimaced.

The woman in question also felt disappointed in what she perceived as her failure as a wife.

"I will not apologise for my sexuality. Need I remind you of certain historical figures?" Kouji countered. "And it is not like I am predator stalking the area for my next victim, Father."

"However, I cannot ask her or her friends to take care of one of his more...personal needs," Tsuruko said with a light blush on her flawless cheeks.

"I see," Mrs. Aoyama nodded. "And what of Urashima-san's tastes? Do they run parallel to Kouji-kun's?"

"No," the kendoist shook her head. "Urashima-san does like girls."

Her father nodded in understanding. "And you want permission to deal with said needs?"

"I would. I realise that it is highly improper and that as a faithful wife, I should stand by my husband, however I do have needs of my own. And despite Kouji-kun's excellence in all of his other husbandly roles, he hasn't taken care of that particular one," Tsuruko explained, her head almost touching the floor.

"Is this Urashima a handsome fellow?" Kouji asked his wife.

"No, he's not exactly what you would consider a classically handsome man. Though he is far from ugly."

"And what is he like physically? Aside from his recent hospitalisation, I mean."

"He's not athletic, and he's certainly not a testosterone addled man-mountain," Tsuruko replied. "I would rate him as 'average'. Though it is his personality that makes him interesting; he tried to convince me that I shouldn't put my life on hold to supervise things."

"Well, I can't say that you've painted him as a 'man among men', but if you think that it will make you happy and help the clan, Tsuruko-san, then I will support any decision that you make," Kouji said neutrally. "At least he's not a fat, ugly otaku. I couldn't deal with that."

"You're such a snob, Kouji-kun," the kendoist teased.

"I prefer to think of it as having a modicum of taste, my dear Tsuruko."

"Touché," Tsuruko smiled.

"No, not you, not with your colour coordination, Tsuruko-san," Kouji replied with mock indignation.


@@@@@


The next morning, a rather haggard looking trio of Kitsune, Naru and Motoko were sitting down to breakfast.

Each of the conspiring girls was nursing a cup of strong black coffee as none of them had gotten any sleep.

"Here, this should make you feel better," Shinobu said as she placed bowls of rice in front of her friends.

"Thank you Shinobu-chan," Kitsune smiled weakly. She let out a sigh. "I don't suppose that you know what your sister is going to do, do you, Motoko-chan?"

"With Aneue, one never knows," the kendoist sighed as she rubbed her temples. "I just hope that she's calmed down."

"What if she hasn't?" Naru asked.

Motoko fixed her friend with a haunted look. "It's best if we don't find out."


@@@@@


At the same time, Haruka Urashima was answering the door to the Teashop.

"Oh, it's you," she replied neutrally.

"Good morning, Haruka-san," Tsuruko bowed politely. "I am here to assist in the disciplining of my sister and her friends."

"Oh really? And why should I let you take care of that particular task?" Haruka asked in a sarcastic tone.

"It is unfortunate, but it is my responsibility to right the injustice that my sister has committed against your family," the kendoist replied, her head still bowed. "I will ensure that your nephew is treated with the kindness and respect that he needs to make a full recovery."

"Honour aside, what's in it for you?" the smoker asked. "No offence."

Tsuruko sighed as she looked up. "It's a long story, Haruka-san."

"I've got to go and pick up Keitaro from the hospital, so I don't have time to hear this 'long story'. Do you want to tell the others or do you want to come with me to tell Keitaro what's going on?"

"I'll come with you. I need to tell Urashima-san of my role myself," the kendoist replied. "I will be the one to take care of relieving his stress."

"Aren't you married?"

"As I said, it's a long story."


@@@@@


Keitaro was surprised to see Tsuruko visiting him with Haruka. He wasn't unhappy with the attention, he just thought that it was unwarranted and made him feel like he was causing a bother for his friends and family.

"There is something that we have to tell you, Urashima-san," the kendoist bowed.

"Please, call me 'Keitaro'; after all, a friend of Haruka's is a friend of mine."

"Thank you, Keitaro-san. I wanted to apologise for my sister's actions once again."

"You don't have to, Aoyama-san," Keitaro insisted. "I mean, it wasn't like I didn't deserve to be hit when she walked in on me when I was in the bath."

"That is..." Tsuruko paused, her anger rising. A few breaths and she managed to calm herself down. "I wanted to tell you that I will be staying with you at the Hinata Sou."

"You will? Why?"

"Because you still require medical attention, and it is the least our clan can do for you."

Haruka looked on, trying to see what it was that it was that Tsuruko seemed to find so interesting and appealing that she would offer herself as Keitaro's girlfriend.

'He's not fat and ugly, and I know that he bathes regularly, but I don't see why she's willing to...' she thought. Then it hit her. "Tsuruko-san, may I speak with you in private?"

When the two women were standing in the corner, the elder Urashima asked her question.

"I said that it was a long story, but please do not think badly of me when I tell you, that yes, I will be getting something out of this arrangement."

"Go on," Haruka deadpanned.

"My marriage was an arranged one," Tsuruko started with a sigh. "My husband and I love each other very much, however, it lacks something rather fundamental."

"Then why not get a divorce?"

"Because it was a political union and our families would lose face, even if my husband's tastes are shall we say 'similar to our own'." When the smoker looked unconvinced, the kendoist sighed again and elaborated. "He's not a playboy, he plays with boys."

"Ah," Haruka nodded in understanding. "But what makes you think that I'm going to stand by and let you relieve your pent up frustrations on Keitaro?"

"Do you have anyone else in mind for helping Keitaro-san with that?"

"No, but that doesn't mean that I'm going to let you hurt him."

"That is not my intention, Haruka-san," Tsuruko insisted. "I'm not a woman of loose morals intent on tying him up and have my wicked way with him."

"That's not what I meant, Tsuruko-san. I'm just concerned for Keitaro," Haruka sighed. "I'm worried that he'll get hurt. He's quite resilient physically. But emotionally..."

"Is everything ok?" Keitaro asked from the bed. "I mean, I thought that I was leaving today, but the way you're talking in the corner..."

The two women bowed in apology.

"Sorry, Keitaro," the smoker said first. "We were discussing some of the changes at the Inn."

"But why would Aoyama-san want to be staying with there?"

"Because it seems that I need to teach Motoko a few lessons that she seems to have either forgotten or simply not bothered to learn," the kendoist explained. "It brings me great shame to think that my sister, who was one of our most promising students, would act in such an unjust manner."

"It's alright," Keitaro insisted. "I mean, at least she got to practice her moves."

'But she shouldn't have been practicing them on you, Keitaro-san, why can't you see that?' Tsuruko thought bitterly. "I feel that we should continue that particular discussion another time, Keitaro-san. Are you ready to leave here?"

"I am," the ronin nodded. "I just need to pick up some medication from the pharmacy and I'll be ready to head back home. Are you sure that everyone there is ok with me moving back in?"

"Don't worry about that, Keitaro," Haruka smiled knowingly.


@@@@@


Shinobu had a concerned look on her face when she left the common room to answer the door.

"S-sempai! Y-you're back!" she said happily.

"Y-yeah," Keitaro smiled as he rubbed the back of his head in embarrassment. "How is everyone?"

"They're a bit subdued, Sempai," the chef answered. "A-are you really going to stay?"

"Yes," Haruka answered, making sure that her nephew didn't try to avoid the situation. "Keitaro will be returning to his position as landlord and manager with immediate effect."

"Shinobu-chan, is someone at the door trying to sell you something again?" Motoko asked as she walked to her friend. "A-a-aneue! What are you doing here?"

"Cleaning up your mess, Motoko-chan," Tsuruko answered tersely. "Now, where is Keitaro-san's room?"

"Err..., this way," the younger kendoist replied. When her sister helped Keitaro to his room, she turned to Haruka. "What's going on?"

"Your sister has decided to supervise things. I can't say that I'm too happy about it, but even though Keitaro is family, I have my own life to live. If you need me, you know where to find me."

"Ok," Keitaro smiled in thanks. He turned around, expecting some sort of abuse, but was surprised to see everyone looking scared of Tsuruko.

"Right then, first off, Keitaro-san will be taking a bath. He is not to be disturbed for at least half an hour, and then you will knock loudly to announce your presence. There will be no walking in on anyone while I'm here," the elder Aoyama instructed in her sternest tone.

When no-one responded, Tsuruko reached for her sword. "Is that clear?"

"Yes, Aneue," Motoko bowed. "What do you want us to do while Keitaro-san bathes?"

"You will take his things to his room. Miss Konno, you will assist in the preparation of lunch and you, Miss Narusegawa, you will stay out of the way."

Naru blinked. "Ok."

"Shinobu-chan, I apologise for being presumptuous, but can you start preparing lunch for us all?"

"Y-yes, Aoyama-san."

"Please," the older kendoist smiled reassuringly. "Call me 'Tsuruko'."

"Ok, Tsuruko-san," Shinobu smiled back before heading to the kitchen.

"Tsuruko-san," Keitaro started, unsure of what to say. "A-are you really sure that you want to do this?"

Tsuruko placed a comforting hand on the ronin's shoulder. "I'm sure, Keitaro-san. It's not just a duty, it's something that I hope will lead to us being friends. Now, stop stalling and get in the bathroom."

"Yes, Tsuruko-san."


@@@@@


To be continued...


Blah-blah, pre-read by Chi Vayne, blah-blah, previewed on Hawk's forum, is complete crap, etc, etc.

I dunno when there will be more. I is tired and needs a new job. Leave me alone. Stop picking on me for being a crappy writer.
Sign up to rate and review this story