Categories > Games > Sonic the Hedgehog > Thoughts of an Abomination

Unrealistic

by Annej 0 reviews

Shadow lands on Earth, and takes a more serious look on his purpose and wants.

Category: Sonic the Hedgehog - Rating: R - Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst - Characters: Shadow - Warnings: [!!] [V] - Published: 2007-06-04 - Updated: 2007-06-04 - 1557 words

0Unrated
Chapter 2 - Unrealistic


"Is it alive?"

"Poke it, maybe it is."

A nudge from a cold object caused Shadow to stir prodding his muzzle persistently. Shadow grumbled and swatted hands in front of his face.

"Whoa!!" A voice cried, and footsteps crunched across the grass.

"Stay still, don't make any sudden movements!!" Another voice called, and a gun cocked to confirm his threat.

Shadow opened his eyes slowly. There was no urge for him to get up and escape, what use was there? He rolled his head to his right and assessed his situation. He was on a combination of dirt and grass, with broken glass all around him. Sharp pains raced up his legs and crusted blood was on his white glove. Two soldiers stood in front of his face, guns pointed at him.

"Get up slowly." One commanded, gesturing with his gun. Shadow bored his piercing eyes into the torso of the human, and sat up. Glass shards stuck out of his legs, and red liquid oozed from the open wounds. Shadow blinked. His own blood... the Ultimate Life bled? He yanked a piece of glass out of his leg, not flinching even at the intense jags of pain that shot up his spine. He inspected it almost curiously.

"...why?" He asked in a dulcet tone. "What reason do I have to obey you..." The soldiers looked at each other.

"You are to be arrested and under control of GUN. Now stand up or we will drag you." Shadow narrowed his eyes. He would not be dragged by such a filthy breed of humans. Shadow stood up, pulling more shards of glass out of his legs. His quills stood on edge as the pain ran like electric shocks through his body.

"That's it, now follow us." The humans walked towards a metal building amidst a jungle. Shadow cast his gaze around his surroundings. He was on the field before a beach, and the afore mentioned jungle swamped the rest of the island he appeared to be on. Shadow looked over his shoulder, eyes softening at the sight of the beach.

The beach. Maria had promised to see it with him. The gentle noise of the water brushing against the white sand reminded him painfully of Maria's bright spirit. The sapphire ocean mocked him again, with it's promise of hope. Hope was no longer an option, he thought bitterly, just an escape.

"Hurry up, captive. The prison won't wait for long." The human's voice drifted over the wind. Shadow cast a side glance towards them, and resigned his feet to move. Trying to escape now would be disastrous. He had to have a secure plan, and swimming was something his hedgehog body could do well.

As his feet led him automatically through the jungle brush, Shadow's mind chose to wander.

Maria... he wondered if she was at least given a proper burial. Or if she had even been remembered. Or if her body still lay, slumped over the control panel that had jettisoned him to Earth.
Earth... she was right. It was a beautiful planet. The serene blue seas, the white foam on the waves, the emerald green of the plants.

Shadow hated it. Anything that had spawned the wretched humans was deserving of his hate. The insidious image of Maria being shot flashed before his eyes. Shadow looked away from the sky and stared at the ground. After Maria had been shot... that odd lizard had come out. Elex...

He had never before seen her alive, but the body fit the blueprints he had seen around the ARK. Elex was to be the protector of the ARK, a anthropomorphic lizard with amazing strength and accuracy. She was a success, the havoc caused throughout the GUN soldiers on the ARK stood no chance against her onslaught. Elex had even shown concern for Maria. Of course... Maria was kind to everyone, and The Professor must have ordered Elex to check on her. Those tender words Elex has whispered to him... 'Be good, okay?' Be good... while she was less fearful to kill than he at the time, that was how she was programmed

Be Good. She was jesting. After that massacre, being good was not an option.

But now was different. Shadow had a reason to kill. Maria was his cause, his inspiration for revenge, the thought that crossed his mind before the killing blow.

Shadow looked up. For Maria, he would kill those responsible for her death. The other humans did not concern him. And Elex... she could certainly take care of herself. There was no concern for that. But those gentle words she said to him, he had never head the like from anyone other than Maria. He would have to catch up with her... Elex would be an invaluable ally, but a undeniably strong foe. He would get to her before the humans. A little sister, or the closest thing to it now, would be an asset.

Rough hands grabbed the back of his neck as he was shoved unceremoniously into a cell. His feet had out traveled his thoughts, it appeared. Hard metal greeted his gloves as he was propelled across the small room. The clank echoing from the dingy room made Shadow's ears prick up. He sighed as he examined the room. 10 by 12, or about that, with musty and moldy smells made Shadow's nose twinge in discomfort. Hardly suitable for a creature of his status.

"They think they can hold me in steel and metal?" He murmured to himself. "Foolish." His gloved hand shot out to the wall opposite the door and his fingers dug into the cold metal, depressing into the steel as if it made of a gelatinous material.

Shadow smirked to himself. These humans would pay. The smirk stayed on his face as he ripped the metal from the wall in handfuls. Nothing but amusement ran across his face as alarms blared and the bright lights of the hallway shone on him.

Shadow's fury was not a loud, angry one. It was a silent and emotionless one as humans flooded the narrow hallway. Shadow looked at them in disinterest, and continue walking smoothly through the corridor. The men drew guns and backed up a few steps.

"S-stop!" A man demanded in a high pitched tone, moving to the wall to let Shadow passed regardless. Shadow shot a ruby-eyed glare towards the squeal, He walked on. Men parted in front of him like the Red Sea. One brave man stood his ground as Shadow reached his knees.

"Stop!" His voice was unwavering and commanding. "You are to stay in your cell!" The man reached behind Shadow to grab for the nape of his neck. "Annoying little hedgehog..." The man muttered, emphasizing 'annoying'. Shadow smirked again, feeling the human's fingers wrapping around the back of his neck.

Maybe he should have emphasized 'hedgehog', rather than annoying.

"Aaaah!" The human retracted his hand from Shadow's neck, clutching it to his chest. The pistol in his other hand dropped to the floor with a clatter. "You...!" The man spewed, other obscenities rushing hushed out of his mouth. His hand was riddled with thickly distributed pinpoints of scarlet.

"Hedgehogs have quills...imbecile." Shadow looked amused as the injured man doubled over his own hand. "I've no time for the like of you." He continued his steady walk, before stopping. "Well" He leaned over and picked up the pistol the soldier had dropped. All 6 of the men did not move as Shadow inspected the gun appraisingly. In fact, they seemed unable to move in trepidation. "...I suppose there is a use for you." Shadow's voice was smooth and almost a purr as he turned and aimed the barrel of the pistol to the nearest human.

He never told anyone, but the fearful look that humans gave whenever they were about to die, was a morbid delight. The utter panic and fear that they would no longer exist, and that they would cease to be, it was like a sweet nectar to Shadow's mind. He had seen that look on Maria's face once, only hers was strong and determined, with that odd smile. She was unafraid to die for something she believed in. Why were humans giving their lives for unrealistic causes?

Certainly, trying to contain him was unrealistic.

Shadow's pistol was warm after the six shots he had fired. He expelled the breath from his chest. A form of justice had been served. Instant death with a sadistic smirk. No longer was be that weak, sobbing mess in the capsule, Shadow had a cause again. A meaning to live.

"Maria..." He tossed the gun carelessly down the now silent hallway. "I promise your death shall not be vain." He said aloud, fists clenching. "Your sacrifice shall not be useless. Everything you have stood for, I will abolish those who oppose it." He nodded to himself.

Shadow's future was determined. And so was GUN's.




Hello once again! I hope any who have read this enjoyed it, and I of course would like any and all feedback, that goes doubly if it's constructive criticism. But hey, I won't deny praise is nice, though! No "ur the suxzorz, lawl!", please? Thank ye.

Once again, Sonic Team is responsible for any and all Sonic characters, 'cept Elex. Thanks for reading =)
Sign up to rate and review this story