Categories > Original > Horror

Bast

by lost_in_the_shuffle 0 reviews

Three young tomb raiders uncover a horrifying secret.

Category: Horror - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2007-06-05 - Updated: 2007-06-05 - 1539 words - Complete

0Unrated
The mummy awoke. There were intruders entering its sanctuary. Slowly it rose and lumbered out into the darkness of the tomb. They must pay for disturbing its slumber. It would have revenge.

Bast looked around the tomb of the chief priest of Ra in fear, she felt an almost indiscernible change in the air. Something was angry at the desecration. She knew it.
Quickly she looked at her brothers who were carting out the jewels and gold. "Garai, Issa," she hissed. "Move faster."
Issa looked at her "go start the truck, sister. We're almost done here."
She nodded and moved as fast as she could out of the tomb, this area was patrolled regularly and the punishment was harsh for a grave robber. She reached the truck when a male scream of terror came from the tomb. Bast dropped the keys on the ground and ran back inside screaming her brother's names.
She stopped in horror, a scream stuck in her throat. Issa lay on the floor at her feet, crumbled up like a rag doll. She took a step forward and gasped in terror. Garai was being held up in the air by a six-foot mummy, spotting her it roared and tossed her brother. He slammed against the wall of the tomb and fell in a heap on the floor. The mummy stared at her, eyes changing from rage into something else. Then it slowly shuffled toward her.
Bast backed up, screaming when she tripped over Issa's body causing her to fall on the floor. The mummy leaned over her, reaching one rotting hand covered in disintegrating bandages toward her. She screamed again, before darkness swallowed her and she fainted.

She woke up abruptly, sitting up in fear, before she realized she was no longer in the tomb. She looked around and realized she was in a hospital room. Movement at the doorway caught her attention as a young man dressed in a patrol uniform came into the room.
"Where am I?" She asked, "where are my brothers? Have you arrested them?"
The man sat in the chair next to her bed. "You're in a hospital in Cairo," he said in a voice with a soft English accent. "My name is Captain Charles Norrington. My men found you three days ago in a tomb. Next to the battered bodies of two men, I assume they were your brothers." He looked down, uncomfortable in telling her about her brother's deaths. "I need to know what killed your brothers, when my men arrived they heard someone or something run off. But they didn't catch a glimpse of the perpetrator."
Bast closed her eyes as she remembered, "it was a mummy." She murmured "a horrifying rotting
creature that tossed my brothers around as if they were rag dolls. It killed them and it was coming after me when the patrol come along." She broke down in sobs as the awful knowledge that her brothers were dead hit her.
Charles stared at her skeptically, "if you don't tell us what happened out there we can't help you."
Bast's head jerked up and she glared at Charles, "that is what happened," she screamed shaking in hysteria.
The doctor ran in, "I'm going to have to ask you to leave." He told Charles, "you're upsetting the patient."
Charles stood up reluctantly, "I will be back and you better be ready to tell me the truth." Then he walked out of the hospital room.

Charles drove up to the tomb and got out of the truck, the entrance hadn't been fixed yet. But there was no sign of the guard he had assigned to the door. He grabbed his rifle out of the front seat, than clicked his flashlight on.
He slowly walked toward the tomb's entrance aware of the growing darkness. He heard a shuffling inside the tomb.
"Seth?" He called out assuming it was the guard.
There was no answer and Charles slowly walked into the tomb, his rifle ready. Swinging his flashlight around, he heard the shuffling noise again, just out of range of the beam. He started to walk forward than stopped as his foot hit something soft, he swung the flashlight down and gasped in horror. The body of Seth lay there like a rag doll, sightless eyes staring straight ahead. Suddenly an inhuman roar filled the tomb and Charles swung the flashlight around, just as a figure hit it out of his hand, causing the flashlight to fly against the wall. It broke and plunged the tomb into darkness, Charles screamed in terror as he was grabbed and flung against the wall by something with inhuman strength. His head hit the wall hard, than everything went black. He didn't hear the mummy slowly shuffle toward the back of the tomb, as if it was waiting for something.

Bast woke up with a start, the feelings she had at the tomb were coming back stronger. Without a doubt she knew the mummy was waiting for her that it wanted her to come back to the tomb. Wincing a little she pulled the IV out of her arm and got out of bed. She dressed quickly and silently slipped from the hospital room. She knew the only way to stop this mummy was to somehow lure it back into its tomb, than seal the entrance forever. She slipped into the alley, where she found an idling truck that someone left in a hurry. She quickly got in, silently apologizing to the owners, and pushed on the gas. She drove through the streets of Cairo at a breakneck speed, roaring out into the desert. She skidded to a stop next to a patrol truck. Hopping out Bast screamed Charles' name but received no answer. She grabbed a flashlight from the truck and ran into the tomb, clicking on the flashlight she swung the beam around. Gasping in dismay when she saw, Charles' body crumpled up next to the wall. Bast knelt next to him, feeling for a pulse. To her relief it fluttered steadily. He groaned slightly when she shone the flashlight in his face.
"Captain Norrington we have to get out of here." She said attempting to awaken him, praying that she could.
He groaned again, then slowly lifted his hand to shield his eyes from the light. "Where am I?" He asked hoarsely.
"You're in the tomb," Bast said helping him to stand. "We have to get out of here and close up the entrance, before the mummy kills again."
Suddenly a shift in the air caused her to turn, shining the flashlight toward the entrance of the other part of the tomb. The mummy stood there staring at her, beside her Charles gasped. But the mummy didn't seem to notice him. It just stared at Bast, shuffling forward, reaching a hand toward her.
Bast looked down at the amulet depicting the goddess she was named after, her mother had given it to her on the day she was born. "I think I know what it wants," she said to Charles.
Slowly she walked toward the mummy, "priest of Ra," she said holding out the amulet. "Go back to your slumber," slowly the mummy backed away from the amulet, bowing in reverence. She followed it into the main burial chamber.
"Sleep now," she murmured as the mummy laid down in its sarcophagus. Slowly she backed out of the tomb.
"We need to block up the tomb entrance," she said to Charles as he pulled her out of the tomb.
Charles ran to the bed of the truck and pulled out some dynamite. Quickly he piled it at the open entrance, lighting the fuse. He grabbed her hand and they ran behind the truck as the dynamite blew, sealing the entrance forever.

Later she sat with Charles at a café table, explaining how she knew how to stop the mummy.
"This is an amulet showing that I am dedicated to Bast," she said to him, "Ra was one of Bast's many husbands. The mummy was once Ra's chief priest, believed to be the god himself in human form. It sensed Bast's positive energy inside me, which made it assume I was the goddess in reincarnated. When it awoke, it was angry. But when it saw me it thought it had been awoken to protect me. That's why I had to come back, I was the only one who could stop it."
Charles reached across the table and grasped her hand. "I'm going to make sure there are more patrols in that area," he said. "So this can never happen again." He gave her hand a hard squeeze, "I really should arrest you for grave robbing you know." He said as he pulled her forward.
"Are you?" She asked.
"No," he said he said teasingly, then kissed her lightly on the mouth. "It's not every day you find the reincarnation of Bast."
Bast laughed softly, then leaned over and kissed him longer this time.

The sand blew and shifted, causing a crevice to open up on the other side of the tomb. A thin strip of light came through the crack, shining onto the mummy, it slowly opened its eyes and roared.
Sign up to rate and review this story