Categories > Original > Fantasy

Back Then...

by poolboy 0 reviews

I was working latr at the local market when It all seemed to go wrong. Imagine the life of a vampire. Then imagine the life of a vampire, only 100 times worse. That would be my life.

Category: Fantasy - Rating: G - Genres: Fantasy - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2007-06-05 - Updated: 2007-06-05 - 751 words

1Exciting
The year: 1887. It was London...yes, that's where it all started.

I had been working a extra shift at the local market, which happened to be a strange thing for a woman at the time. Women nearly never left their houses apart from working in the fields. That was the typical life of a typical woman then. Feed the children, wash clothing, cook dinner for a hungry husband, and milk the cows. The thing that bothered me the most about a woman's life, though, was that she was to be seen and not heard. I thought it was wrong and was not dignified.

I was packing up to leave when I heard the chimes above the door ring. I stood up straight and greeted the stranger. He was a very handsome man. His shoulders were broad and muscular, his eyes were a piercing blue, his hair shone, and best of all, and he had a gleaming smile. He wasn't wearing a suit and top hat that English men normally wore, but instead he was wearing an over coat and black trousers. He also had a very sullen face.

I melted into the corner, trying to uphold the womanly way that I loathed so much. I wanted to impress him but had no other way of doing so.

He wandered into the back and disappeared.

When he didn't return right away, I started to tap on the counter. I did so until I saw is radiant face round the corner of the small shop. I saw that he was carrying a large tin of food and bread. I wasn't surprised at the items he chose. He wasn't wearing expensive clothing or anything to signify that he was wealthy.

He approached the counter and placed the items on top. He smiled at me and reached for his wallet.

I could feel my face become hot and red. He had such a wonderful smile. I looked at the price of each item and added it. When I looked up I realized that I was staring down the barrel of a single shot rifle. It was old and rusted and had trace of blood on it. I nearly screamed but he opened his mouth first.

"Give me your money and you won't get hurt. If you cause any trouble, I will shoot you and I don't want to do that to such a pretty lady."

The harsh first few words rang in my mind. I knew he was going to shoot me anyway and was ready to fight for my life.

I stood up straighter and looked him in the eye. I stood in silence. He began to get impatient and insisted further. I simply shook my head.

In response to my lack of co-operation, he pulled back the hand that was clutched to the rifle's trigger and slapped me across that face. Luckily I had locked up the money for that day because that second I hit the ground, he went in search of it. When he couldn't find it he walked around that counter and grabbed me by the hair and dragged me to my feet. He pushed me against the counter to I couldn't escaped and whispered in my ear.

"Tell me where that money is or I will shoot you."

The same phrase entered my mind and burned itself in the back. I wasn't ready to die and yet I was standing at deaths door with my hand reaching to knock.

I shook my head bravely. I wasn't going to let him pursuade me with death. I had to be stronger than that.

The next thing I heard was his finger brushing against the safety lock and over the trigger. My heart pounded in my head as a tear rolled down my cheek and onto the counter.

Suddenly, I heard the door chimes ring again and I prayed hard for that unfortunate person to change their mind and walk out the door.

"Who the hell are yo-"

I heard a slight crack and felt my attacker slide off of me and onto the cold floor. I looked up but couldn't see a thing. My eyes were clouded with tears. I frantically wiped them away. Turning around to see who rescued me, I see another extremely handsome man only this mans face wasn't sullen but very pale. He reminded me of a painting or a statue.

He walked closer to me and I backed away as far as the counter would allow.
Sign up to rate and review this story