Categories > TV > House

Chain of Fools

by Great_Writer_Sarah 3 reviews

If House wants his team back, he's going to have to work for it. Unfortunately for him, Chase is not feeling too kind today. Rated because of use of 'f-word'. Spoilers for season 3 finale.

Category: House - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama - Characters: Gregory House,Robert Chase - Warnings: [!!!] - Published: 2007-06-22 - Updated: 2007-09-27 - 542 words - Complete

1Insightful
TITLE: Chain Of Fools
SERIES: House
RATING: PG-13
CHAPTERS/ONE SHOT: One-shot
GENRE: General
PAIRING/S: N/A
SUMMARY: If House wants his team back, he's going to have to work for it. Unfortunately for him, Chase is not feeling too kind today. Surprisingly, no slash. That's for a later story! ;D I'd please appreciate constructive criticism - this is my first ever House fic. Thanks!


"Now, listen to me, Chase. Sit."

Despite the fact that Chase was no longer an employee at Princeton-Plainsboro, he found himself sitting in the chair that seemed so familiar from the many diagnostics given in it. House faced him from his desk, one hand resting on the head of his cane, the other squeezing a stress ball.

"House, this isn't going to work---"

"Shut up." House cocked his head and looked at Chase like he was an alien. "Now, you're going to listen to me and add pithy comments in the appropriate places. And then I'm going to finish, and you're going to tell me what a great guy I am and how honored you would be to take me up on my offer."

Chase rolled his eyes, but said nothing.

"Good. We need you back. I need you back."

At this, Chase began choking on air. House watched him recover from his fit, his expression blank as ever.

"You're a good doctor, okay? But that's not it. Cameron and Foreman have to come with you. The team needs to come back. All of the little ducklings, lined in a row, okay?"

Chase hadn't heard the team called 'ducklings' since God knows when. He ignored it. "Why didn't you call them in then?"

"Both of them are doing interviews at different hospitals. And you're the nice one."

"I thought Cameron was the nice one."

"She tried to use her sexual prowess on me in the stairway to get my wallet. She's not the nice one anymore. Unless you're fixing to try the same thing."

Once again, the Aussie's eyes rolled. "I can't believe what I'm hearing. You expect me to come crawling back to you - Cameron and Foreman in tow - just because you say you 'need me' and I'm a 'good doctor'. How do I know you're not just lying to me? That as soon as we come back, the same old tired cycle of abuse won't start again?"

Chase was surprised to see House's unshaven face look positively haggard, severely distressed even.

"I can change," House said. "You just won't give me a chance."

The other man sighed. House was impossible sometimes. Did he really expect him to take this with a grin and accept it all? Foreman was right after all - he didn't want to become like this.

"You already are," House said in a lilting Aussie accent, and Chase saw not House but himself, smirking while he squeezed the life out of the stress ball.

Chase woke up, his sheets soaked in sweat, and wondered what the fuck they were putting in Chinese take-out these days. He couldn't fall asleep for several hours. And several miles across town, the same kind of insomnia was shaking up another doctor, who was popping Vicodin and playing guitar to keep the images away.
Sign up to rate and review this story