Categories > Original > Fantasy > The Whims of Lady Luck

Prologue

by KarasuTendo 1 review

In a quasi-medieval setting, a knight sets out on his first adventure, much to his reluctant chronicler's dismay. m/m slash warning!

Category: Fantasy - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Humor, Romance - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2005-11-30 - Updated: 2005-12-01 - 408 words

3Original
An Introduction by the Chronicler

The point in chronicling is not so much to do so faithfully, but rather to romanticize the hero a bit, play up his role; chronicling creates a hero, in a way.

But Samuel was a hero before I started writing his story, and I do mean to say "hero." Had I not been there, he would have still vanquished a vampire, fought a dragon, saved a town from ruin, recalled a maiden from certain death, and destroyed a man whose goal was to overthrow an entire kingdom. He would have done this alone, if necessary, and been met with success.

I am priviledged to have been part of his adventures, and to have the chance, now, to write them down for Time to witness. Looking over my journals of that time, I remember with amusement that my first reaction to becoming his companion and chronicler was not quite so positive.

Everything I write here is the truth, unadorned and in my own words, brought back to mind by reading journals of the time Samuel and I began our quest, which was once to make a name for him and for our village. I invite any skeptic to travel our route, to check other records, and to speak to any person whose name lies within this pages to verify this account. Know that he will find that Time has allowed others to embellish what I will lay down plainly here.

As a personal account, the reader must be aware that if I have made much mention of the emotions I felt during this time, it is only because that is the true story, to me. Samuel is always more than a hero in my eyes, and I would rather give a true accounting of all his good deeds than let his honest, open nature be forgotten. The adventures we undertook shaped and strengthened the character Samuel already had; he was a hero long before he and I left home.

I have never put my trust in Providence, which takes an obsessive interest in the affairs of certain men, nor in Grace, which gives too freely while men dwindle in capability; but to Luck I will raise my thanks, whose whims have served Samuel and myself well on occasion, and worse in others. To Luck, from which our trials and subsequent victories stem, this story belongs equally to you.

Merrin/ of Pwaith, formerly of Wrynne/

Sign up to rate and review this story