Categories > Movies > Moon Child

Trick of Light

by fey_puck 1 review

Kei wonders about a lot of things.

Category: Moon Child - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst - Characters: Kei, Sho - Published: 2005-12-01 - Updated: 2005-12-02 - 395 words - Complete

2Moving
The boy was paler than he remembered, his skin fading into lighter tones. It was odd, considering the life these children led, and Kei vaguely wondered why he hadn't noticed before. But then, he could hardly be called observant lately. Some part of him was annoyed by this, another hardly cared about anything anymore. Why should he? This life was tiresome and would stretch on for eternity if he let it.

But he wouldn't. He had been ready to give up, to burn away under the treacherous light of day. There were none left to mourn his passing, if there had been any to begin with. No one stayed forever no matter how hard they tried. And Kei had stopped trying. Funny that his savior had chosen the form of a small, scrawny urchin. Perhaps there was still some humor in the world.

But Sho had smiled at him even as he was stained with blood. The boy's brother was right; he was a monster. The imaginary monster that children feared and hid under the blankets from. Only he was real, flesh and blood and something more that clawed at whatever remained of his soul until he was sure that the pain would kill him.

Only this boy didn't believe in monsters. Kei wondered how long it would take for that image to break.

A rustling sound in the corner and Kei quickly glanced over, casually pushing his long hair away from his face. The footsteps were light and hurried with energy the vampire could never remember having. Sho seemed to be swallowed up by the large room as he skirted around the patches of light. He looked up once at Kei and almost-but-not quite smiled before settling back in the corner with whatever small toy he had managed to find the night before.

"Sho." No answer. "Sho," Kei said again, louder. The boy looked up from the toy car he was trying to piece together. "Why don't you go out with your brother anymore? Go out." He waved in the general direction of the door.

Sho shrugged one shoulder, looking up from behind a fringe of black hair. "Don't wanna. It isn't fair," he said simply, looking at the hand the vampire had let burn before the boy had taken him here.

Kei wondered when he would realize that life was rarely ever fair.
Sign up to rate and review this story