Categories > Movies > Newsies > Times Like These

We'll Meet Again

by Sagey1899 0 reviews

(Co-written with Eve) Mod- War fic 2003-2005 NOT1899 - IRAQ - Jack and the boys go to war. How it effects them and those left at home. PLEASE Don't read if you're gonna flame. It is a little angs...

Category: Newsies - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Drama, Romance - Characters: Bryan Denton, Jack Kelly, Kid Blink, Mush, Spot Conlon - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2007-07-09 - Updated: 2007-07-09 - 984 words

0Unrated
This fic started out as a simple one shot for Eve...but it snowballed into a full fic which Eve and I are writing together. It is truly a labor of love for us and we hope you enjoy it. Grab some tissues. And please review...

This is dedicated to the men and women of the armed forces who have given their time and their lives to protect their country and their families.

Especially for:

Sgt. Aegina Spencer, USAF

Lt. Col. Gregg Martin, US Army

And their families WE LOVE YOU AND YOU ARE IN OUR HEARTS AND PRAYERS

Disclaimer: We don't own Newsies. Disney does. All OCs are owned by the girls that created them. If you want to use one of the OCs please contact the owners first.

music: In Times Like These - Jack Johnson


***********************

Bryan Denton, ace war correspondent for KSTX News, leaned forward in his seat. "I'm going to be along with you for the whole ride. Start to finish."

Captain Jack Kelly, of the 3rd Infantry shoved his hand through his short but disheveled hair. "You do realize this ain't a game, right, Mr. Denton?" His words were just a bit on the venomous side.

"Please, just Denton."

"Right, Denton..." Jack cocked his head to the side and raised his eyebrow just a bit. " You haven't signed on for a joy ride, Denton."

"Oh, no. I know that. I've been covering war stories since Desert Storm."

"Covering 'war stories' and livin' war is hardly the same thing."

"I understand that Sir. And I promise I won't get in the way."

Jack gave him a hard look. "You better not. I've got the lives of my men to think about not just the 'public's right to know.'"

"Definitely," Denton nodded in agreement as he placed his notebook and pen on the table between them. "You have a family at home Captain?"

The look in Jack's eyes softened just a bit and he even allowed a lopsided grin to grace his tired face. "Yeah, wife an' three kids."

Denton smiled warmly. Memorizing everything as they talked. "Bet it's been a while since ya talked to them?"

"I've been here almost six months." He frowned. "I'm lucky to get five minutes on the phone with her."

The reporter nodded. "I got a wife, and two kids in high school, myself." He pulled out a small silver phone encased in plastic to keep out the sand. "I can't guarantee how long the connection will last. But as a show of gratitude, and, I hope, friendship, I'd be happy to let you use it to call your family."

Jack eyed the phone with more than mild interest. "That cost's what? A hundred bucks a minute?" His dark brow cocked up as he considered the possibility of speaking to his wife that night.

"Don't worry about it. It's on me." Denton slid the phone across the table toward him. "Just press pound then dial like it's long distance in the states."

Jack picked up the phone. He stared at the small object for just a moment before dialing his home number.

The shrill ringing of the telephone on the nightstand shattered the otherwise peaceful calm of the night. Sage jumped and grabbed the receiver, putting it to her ear.

"Hello?" She asked groggily.

It continued to ring. What the?

She blinked at the clock LED that read 04:18 and pressed the talk button of the cordless phone and tried again.

"Hello?"

"Baby?"

Tears pricked her eyes and her voice froze in her throat. "Jack?" It came out as little more than a harsh whisper.

"Sagey? Honey can you hear me?" His voice sounded panicked now.

Sage swallowed hard. "Jack?" her voice finally let her croak out his name a little louder this time. "Oh, God. Is that really you?"

"Yeah baby, it's me." He choked back his own tears as he heard her sob into the phone.

Sage blinked again in an attempt to hold some kind of composure but it was useless. The tears flowed like the strongest river down her cheeks. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine." He smiled and Denton rose from the table and walked to the front of the tent to allow for some privacy. "I don't have much time. I just wanted to hear your voice and tell you I love you."

"I love you too!" She sobbed. "I miss you so much."

"How are the kids? Are they being good?"

"They're perfect. And miss you so much." She sniffed and grabbed for a handful of kleenex as she talked. "Should I wake them?"

Commotion on the other end of the line filtered through. Men shouting orders and loud distorted noises. Bomb raid sirens blared.

"Jack? What's happening?"

"It's okay sweetheart. I gotta go. Kiss the kids for me and tell them I love them."

"Jack! I have to tell you something..."

"I love you baby."

"I love you... Jack, I'm pregnant."

The line went dead.

"Jack?"

Nothing.

"JACK?"

A few clicks and then the buzz of a dial tone.

Sage clutched the phone to her chest and curled up into a ball. She pulled the fluffy white teddy bear he'd given her before he left (it smelled of his cologne) into her arms and sobbed herself to sleep.


We'll Meet Again - Frank Sinatra (H. Charles, R. Parker)

[Recorded June 14, 1962, Los Angeles]

We'll meet again, don't know where, don't know when,
But I know we'll meet again some sunny day.
Keep smiling through just like you always do,
Till the blue skies drive the dark clouds far away.
So will you please say hello to the folks that I know, tell them I won't be long.
They'll be happy to know that as you saw me go, I was singing this song.
We'll meet again, don't know where, don't know when,
But I know we'll meet again some sunny day.
Sign up to rate and review this story